1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If Soom released their monthly dolls as a basic line next year, how would you feel?

Jun 9, 2010

1. I'd be really really happy! Even if they just released the human dolls without the fantasy parts. I was really upset that I joined the hobby too late to get a Hati/Skoll, and because so few were purchased, the secondary market value was totally through the roof!

2. I think it would be great to pick up some of the Soom MD's that I couldn't afford during the month they were available. But, it would be a terrible marketing decision on Soom's part. Soom's MD's brought a pretty penny, to re-release them, in whatever form, for a lower cost would crush the resale value. If you want an expensive doll, and you have to struggle to purchase it, but you know that you can resell for what you spent, you are much more likely to go ahead, buckle down and pay for the doll.
      Crush that resale value opportunity, and the manufacturer ends up losing sales, in the long run.
      You can't trust a seller who re-releases limited editions. You can't resell for what you paid, and from looking at the mp on a regular basis, many sellers here quite often expect to get back what they paid, or close to it, or more in the case of many Soom MD's!

3. Basic lines would be fantastic! Save the outfits and fantasy parts for the limiteds and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

4. I wouldn't feel strongly about it one way or another. What I love is the fantasy parts.

5. Hm...looks like they already started. Re-realesed basic Beryl will be for sale in a few days.

6. Do not want. At all. I'll be really upset with Soom if they do this :/

7. Speak of the devil...

I don't think it would/will hurt the resale value of the MDs. (Except, perhaps, the normal eared heads.) Nor their 'exclusiveness'. I doubt they will rerelease the fantasy parts, outfits or the fantasy eared heads. I hope if they rerelease them they will be available in WS. I'd love a WS Chalco and a normal eared WS Amber!

As an owner of multiple Soom MDs, I don't see it as any different than Iplehouse having their Noctarcana versions and then releasing them as basics. The basics don't hurt the 'specialness' of the LEs. Having basics available of my LEs won't bother me at all.

8. It wouldn't hurt the ones that weren't ONLY released in ns (as much, though there could still be a drop in the value). Chrom, for example, was a ns-only release. Yes, there's the firelord head, but if they release the human head again then the original will obviously lose value.

9. I would be happy for the ones that missed them, but I would reconsider to buy any future monthly dolls, just cause the "limited" price is far higher on Soom compared to any other standard edition. So the question is: why I should bother to buy a doll and pay a lot when I know it will be released in a less expensive version too?
      It, of course, depends on the fantasy parts: if you value a elf ear a lot, you can go ahead and buy... if you value hooves a lot go ahead too. If not, well... the decision could simply affect the future MD sales, I suppose Soom has calculated it carefully.
      About me, I adore the fantasy part but, unless they create something very incredible (and right now I cannot think about it) I have all the hooves I need XD so I can take the chance to wait for a standard release if I see a future monthly doll I like XD (so I can use some money for something different...).

10. I dig it, cause I'm not too hot on fantasy parts for the most part. So human releases of monthlies? Sounds cool to me, I actually like Soom's sculpts but the fantasy parts always stop me from taking the plunge. I'm praying for a tan release of a human Galena.

11. Gigias that is exactly what I mean ^^
      If you know the monthly dolls are limiteds for real and you love a sculpt, maybe you can buy it anyway (and than re-sell the extra parts) but what if you know the limiteds are not so limited? XD Indeed to wait for the human release is the best option ^^
      (of course it is true for the normal/white skin editions only. A tanned/grey/purple edition is something very different and should be considered in a different way).

12. I think what people sometimes forget when approaching this debate is - the people that bought Limited Edition Beryl in 2008 for example have had, and loved, and enjoyed their doll for 2 years now. A doll that during that whole time was not available again in any form... Even if Soom does a basic (or limited) re-release now of her in human form, it will only decrease fullset Beryl's resale value a little, her fantasy parts will not be affected, and they've had 2 years of enjoying their doll that the people who have waited for her never had. That is a limit in itself! I doubt most people that bought the doll at the time because they were completely in love with just her human face, would have wanted to wait if Soom had come out and said "We are going to release her face-sculpt again in 2 years when the whole MD line is done with."

Really, all it does is dampen the scalper prices and insane auctions, which Soom really doesn't profit from first hand anyways. It might take away some of the profit from the "got to buy it now!" MD madness, but the people that want the basic no-fantasy parts doll that would usually have to do a split or sell off the parts now have a much easier route to ordering, and will probably still buy from Soom. And the really unpopular MDs like Bix will probably never be re-released, because if it flopped the 1st time they aren't likely to give it another shot, so those dolls will most likely continue to hold their value.

13. Well, it seems they've already started.

I haven't had trouble with paying a lot for my MD's. I bought first hand for retail and usually just sold off the fantasy parts, making it pretty affordable for my MD. But I can see how people will be very, very upset. While I would be excited over human Amber and gosh, Beryl is tempting me, it will suck for those who spent a lot to obtain the dolls they never thought they'd be able to get except second hand.

So all in all, I'm a NO for this idea. I haven't suffered personally, but I do sympathize. I could see it as I do with Volks. I'm willing to pay out the nose for a few certain molds.. I'd be really upset if they sold them again after paying $900 for a head when that's nearly what it's fullset would be.

14. Well for my case, I am not into this hobby for the money. I dont get pissed if my doll drops in value a lot. I enjoy my dolls for the sculpts and because I came into the hobby much later then Soom released their MD's a basic line of the MD's would be nice for me.

Your limited MD will still be your limited version, because of the fantasy parts or outfit or whatnot.

I own a few limiteds so I wont be pissed when they re-release them in basic. I'd probably go for another Galena in NS because I love her sculpt, allthough a Vesuvia NS would be interesting too. I never bought her because I didnt like the GS but her headsculpt still mezmerizes me.

15. I had the original Beryl and ended up selling her even though I liked her sculpt, mainly because I hated WS. Now that she's available in NS, I'm quite tempted. I do think the human and fantasy versions are different. I bought Chalco in NS in a split without the fantasy parts for $500 so it's actually a price increase to buy from Soom direct. Secondhand, the prices are slightly more inflated, but by the time you add face-up, wig and shipping, the Soom MDs cost around $900 anyway so they're not quite as inflated as people tend to believe. And Soom probably won't release them as exactly the same doll. By the looks of the way they're selling Beryl, she may be a limited basic version anyway.

16. Urghh I don't know how I feel about this.
      One thing is that I loved Beryl and wish I had her, but I want the original fullset in WS. A human version of her is just not something I need, especially not in such a normal looking skintone.
      The only plus is that she has that amazing big breasted body it looks like, which is a huge improvement on the original.
      So if they re-released the original Beryl, just with this bigger body, I probably wouldn't be complaining and would jump all over it.. so perhaps my urghhh is a bit ridiculous xD

But.. I'm just not pleased with companies who do this.
      The only thing I could hope is that Beryl's price will drop because of this and I mind find a fullset 2008 Beryl sometime at a price I can actually afford one day.
      But I know I'll be seriously grumpy if they release a SE Cuprit or something. x__x

Overall I think I say.. no thank you to this.
      Maybe I'll get used to it in time.. hmm.

17. Depends a bit on how they release them, if they are basic human versions (aka no elf ears and fantasy parts, limited skintones) I dont see why there should be a problem. So many companies have done it before and so many companies will do it again not really that suprised by it to be honest.

So my opinion is "Mehhhhhh" if they wana deflate the awesomeness that is their monthlies then let them.

18. I don't really understand grumpyness about this Beryl (re?)release. She's not the same Beryl that was LE Beryl 2008 MD. This is not WS, it doesn't have the clothes or wig and I highly doubt it'll have the special parts. Yes, the 2008 WS Beryl prices might lower because there might be people who just like the sculpt and are quite happy with a NS, human version of her. Some might just prefer her that way. Thenagain, there'll always be people like midnite who'll want the WS limited fullset. There could be more trouble with NS MDs like Chrom, but if they release a human version of him, no special parts, I don't see how anyone can complain? It still won't bring down the original release and it's awsomeness, since it is different.

And I don't think this is bad business strategy for Soom, I think it is ingenious. Some of the money that would go to scalpers will no go back to Soom. Special parts will hold their value though unless they release those as well (but thenagain, if they release them in NS, there'll still be a market for the parts in WS/GS/TS since people have the dolls in those skin colors). Soom will just make more people happy, those people who missed out on the original release or just didn't want the special version. Like me. I'd jump at a chance to buy NS human version of any (or all) of the 2009 tinies (except Ai, whom I already have as WS MD and don't regret it even if they release her as a basic even).

Besides, this Beryl is Special Order which to me doesn't seem like a basic anyway. I wouldn't say no to a basic version of the MDs though if they decide to release those some time.