1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If Soom released their monthly dolls as a basic line next year, how would you feel?

Jun 9, 2010

1. To be honest i like so much that thing,by now i cannot afford to buy Beryl,so it's just a chatting for me.
      BUT..if i'm not into a big project i will run onto this sale.
      I've always loved the Beyl sculpt and i have a lots of soom fantasy parts i never made any use of its..so the only thing i need is a soom head with a soom body.

2. This coulb be a real deal for me, i've always loved the Euclase mold, can you think something better then this?
      Euclase in NS?Simply a great opportunity,
      Speaking out lound did you think the head will going to be exactly the same size of the MD LE?
      I meen, all of us know that Chrom head it's a bit smaller then the heliot head, i was wondering if the basic head based on LE MD will be the same size.

3. 10000 times what Shara said.
      I also don't understand what people are so upset about.
      It's not the same MD doll because it misses the special parts + special skin color etc. I don't think that the marketplace value will go much lower, plus this also might cut all the scalpers away from the MP which is only FAIR to those people who missed their change to get their dream Soom mothly.

And it really is a special order, not regular sale.

4. candygears...I will always love Bix! You're right and it will probably never happen but it would sure be awesome if he were ever released!

5. I think this is amazing to be honest.
      She's obviously not coming with any fantasy parts and (at least to me) she looks totally utterly different from the original Beryl.
      Plus she seems to be limited as well, so I highly doubt if Soom continues to rerelease their dolls this way, that the MP prices for the originals will drop that drastically. People who want the fullsets won't have any use for the new dolls .. and those who were only interested in the human MD forms in the first place and sold their fantasy parts etc. got part of their money back anyways.

It's not the end of the world by any means and certainly no reason to rage. It's a great opportunity for those who missed out on their favorite dolls, nothing else.
      Plus, I have yet to see anyone complain about Soom still selling Dia whilst Sard is nothing else than Dia with some extras added. He still goes for ridiculous sums in the MP, no?

6. So agreeing with you candygears.
      What is more important? The enjoyment or the value of the doll. For some collectors it will hurt indeed if the value gets lower, but Soom doesn't get money from the second market. It is also a good reminder that companies can do with their products what every they want.

Funny thing is that most of my bjds are now suddenly limited. Just because their molds got discontinued. XD So if I want to find a replacement, I may need to look deep in my money pocket.

7. Me too - I have a Vesuvia on Layby for a huge price.... I'd be horrified if they re-released something I'd busted my guts to buy when it was "so limited"

Edit to add: My main issue is i was TOLD that the sculpt - not the add-ons and fantasy parts, but the ACTUALL sculpt was limited never to be re-released - if they change their minds with Beryl whats to stop them from doing it with every sculpt that was never to be re-released....

I dont think though that its bad business to want to increase your sales at all - I'm just a little miffed at the prospect that I could potentially have saved myself about $2000 if I waited 2 or 3 years... :(

Wont stop me from buying the MD's in the future - but I'll certainly pay closer attention to any fine-print... And I guess I am happy that some people will benefit from their about face...

8. Oh, sigh. I have but one gripe about the Beryl: why now, when I have no money?

This is quite different from the original release, IMHO. I would want the fantasy version. I would bet there are people who have the fantasy version who would prefer this version, due to a WS preference, or not using the fantasy parts, etc.

9. Honestly, I'm quite exited about Soom re-releasing their MDs as basic editions, even if just for a limited time. I do understand why people would get upset about this, I am aware of the second hand market price for some of the MDs, but really the only thing the MD and the basic versions have in common is the head sculpt. In the case of Beryl, from what I can see right now you only get the doll. No special eyes, wig, faceup, outfit, fantasy parts. The new release of Beryl also seems to be NS? So yeah, same head sculpt, very different dolls.

I know I will honestly seriously consider getting at least her head, since Beryl was actually one of the very first BJDs I saw years before I even thought about collecting them, and she's been on my mind ever since.

10. why are people so upset? these are NOT a rerelease of the limited dolls, obviously she is not coming with any of the things the monthly doll did, no horns, she is in normal skin, no HOOVES, no wings, no limited outfit

she is not the same doll

she is not a rerelease

soom is not responsible for the second hand market prices

edit: also they can easily say she is not the same sculpt if she doesnt come with the pits in her head for magnets, if they filled the pits, then she is a new mold, just like that, lol

11. I find a lot of comments on the Soom site embarassing to look at. Especially the anon posters. Flame on I guess.

12. I was never, and will probably never be, a Soomite, so this really doesn't make any difference in my dollie world. But. For my $.02 here...

I think, if they sold the dolls as a 'basic' edition, totally human, with either a fairly simple natural face-up, or as a totally blank doll + random eyes, then that would be fine. It would give people who either weren't in the hobby, didn't have the funds, didn't want/need special bits, wiped the original face-ups anyhow, ect... The opportunity to get what they want with out all the fuss of trying to bankrupt themselves for it in the process. After all, they've pretty much run the gamut on what they can think of lately, all I've seen is the same thing, repeatedly with the hooves, paws, claws, and horns. So far nothing interested me enough to want it, especially when you have other companies like Impl, Angelheim, and BBB coming out with their own 'fantasy' dolls with hooves, claws, horns, what-have-you's.

So why not make back some of the money they're taking by offering the fantasy parts as options, and re-release dolls that people didn't have a chance to buy before. If its limited to only NS and CW, and only a basic human/blank edition with not trappings, which is what you can get from the others which is why they're now starting to make money on their dolls like that, why not? It's not going to affect those who HAVE the Euclase with the claws and the god hands, its not going to make those with the Vesuvia tails and things any less valuable, because the tails and such won't be offered. Just a basic head+body set. The ones with all the bits and bobs will still have the 'Monthly' editions, not the 'Basic'.

13. i just hope soom doesnt bow down to the people throwing tantrums and flaming them and end up changing their minds about this

14. MD Beryl and this new 'special order' beryl look NOTHING alike... I don't know why so many people are getting upset... I actually think this skin color on Beryl is absolutely gorgeous...

I also want to add that I own a Yrie with the fantasy bits... if they were to ever release her or Alk in NS without the fantasy parts, I'd be all over that once I saved up the cash... In my eyes, it's the extra bits that make them limited... not the basic dolls themselves.

15. Because I am totally awsome at dollmeets boasting about my 1k+ doll. [Note the sarcasm people, I own Soom MDs I just dont shove it in peoples face how much they cost me.]

This discussion is going to lead to a lot of throwing mud back and forward. The decision that Soom made has a lot of pro's and con's. If you hate Soom for doing it, boycott them. If you are happy to finally have a doll you dreamed of minus the fantasy parts, here is your chance.

16. I'm so glad most people are staying calm and rational about this! Going off the soom comments, I was sure I was walking into something in this thread.

It's true, being a basic doll, and if they keep it normal skin, especially, should be keeping the truly scary collectors happy that the doll is limited, not the sculpt. Almost every company releases the doll sculpt first, then gives it a limited outfit or colour. Soom seems to be doing it backward and sadly, are suffering in reputation with it.
      Personally, as a doll sculptor, they've done it fantastically, because they have beautiful pictures and advertising for the sculpt coming out of their ears now. The sculpts shouldn't been limited, just the entire doll, I think personally.
      And I can say this after paying 400USD + for blank Topaz and Amber heads alone. Sure, If they release the dolls as WS, I am never going to get any investment back on that, but meh, worth it in order to get access to the rest of the Soom sculpts <3

Would be nice if Soom goes a little nuts with customising though.. I almost yelped a bit when I first saw the Beryl as I thought she was tan.

17. Personally, while I'm not particularly upset about Beryl or anysuch, it's like this: When a couple of LEs came out, I ended up choosing them over getting other dolls, and spending more than I would've on a non-LE doll or two I was looking at from other companies. Which is fair, I'm all grown-up and I get to choose what I spend my monies on. :) But if I had known at the time that I could wait a period of time and get Euclase, Heliot and Amber as standard-issue dolls (potentially here, as this still looks somewhat limited on the Soom site right now and we have no idea how often this will happen, or for what sculpts, etc), what would I have done? The circumstance that will rile up some original buyers is that, right or wrongly, they were buying a limited-period-of-time-on-sale doll because it wouldn't be possible to get it later. Dedicating a bit of money to it in the process.

To now, a year or two later, be told 'whoops, you chose the wrong LE doll because we're rereleasing' is going to upset some folks. I don't think it's any cause to be mean-spirited, as others have noted I don't buy dolls on speculation, so I'm not losing sleep or anything here.

My question now is, will this be like the NS Sard situation, where anyone who was lucky enough to chuck him in the old card and check-out quickly enough will get him, and the site might crash? Will this be more like a Volks lottery? Will they allow layaway? With other lottos and rereleased, I'm not sure they did...

And Euclase sculpt, for the win! :lol: I don't know what they're going to do for poor Io, who was WS and NS, however...

.hlp

18. the only cons i see are, like what you said, people upset that they cant show off that they have a super special limited doll and YOUUUUU DOOONT, people who bought the MDs with the sole purpose to sell them later on at insanely marked up prices, and people who BOUGHT those insanely marked up dolls

the only people i sympathize with are the people who bought marked up dolls second hand, but if they bought them with their limited parts, then they still got their moneys worth because those are still limited items

everyone else? get over it.

19. actually a normal edition sard is just a dia on a boy body, and anyone can get one of those at any time they wish if they request it, which is what I did, haha, as I have a dia boy! i only had to pay an extra 30 dollars

and the people who went for the limited dolls when they came out still got a limited doll and should still be glad they snatched them when they had the chance, the basic dolls wont be coming with all that super cool stuff that made the limited special, no sparkling purple skin or see through ears, no SUPER COOL hooves or paws etc

and besides, unless the other dolls they had passed over to get an MD first were also limited, or suddenly went discontinued, theres nothing stopping those people from buying the doll after they get their MD

20. To be honest, I think original buyers aren't too upset, I think mostly it will be people who bought secondhand recently who are downright annoyed, because they will have paid faaaar more than the original price, when they could have just waited a little bit.
      So instead of being annoyed about inflation, they're possibly going to take it out on Soom. So everyone try to keep up the positive messages to Soom, so I can get my Onyx eventually ;)

Has anyone started a doll-specific thread yet? I'd like to talk more about this specific doll rather than the situation surrounding it, and the mods may scowl at me doing it here.