1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If Soom released their monthly dolls as a basic line next year, how would you feel?

Jun 9, 2010

1. I have three dolls that I bought as limiteds. One was the second release of that mold (the first being before I was into BJDs), and she was later released as a basic. Did it change felt about her or how much I liked her? Not at all. I also got to have a faceup I couldn't get on the basics and probably close to 2 years of enjoyment that I wouldn't have had if I'd bought her as a basic. One was the 4th release of a doll that I loved when she first came out but had too high a price for me ($840 retail for a mini). I got to have her in a skin colour I prefer and for a lower price, but her fullset (faceup, wig, outfit, etc) was different from previous releases, but I also spent 3 years looking at other owners' photos of that doll and wishing I could have her. The third is a Soom... but even if she becomes a basic it won't change my actual doll, she'll still be the same. It won't change how much I do or don't enjoy her. And it might make someone who wanted her as a WS human doll very, very happy. Different people want different things from their dolls, and different releases will make different people happy. I don't buy my dolls for the status or rarity or resale value. I buy them because I like them, and multiple releases have allowed me and many others to get the dolls they like.

Maybe this veered a little off topic, but I really can't understand why someone would suddenly not like their doll anymore just because more people have the same head now.

2. I think the only reason people are getting upset over the possible re-release is;
      They had the money to spend on the fullset, wait a couple months for delivery, then 2 days after arrival, they put it up for sale with $200++ whacked on
      top - Selling purely for so called "Bonding reasons" :|

I didn't like Beryl when I first got into the hobby, and now I do.
      Personally I think she looks better in NS than WS.
      I'd love a Beryl, and also a Vesuvia and Onyx.

What people need to realise is, it's possible that their super-LE-you-dont-have-one doll may be re-released again one day.
      Before I bought my NS Cocori Western, I asked IH if they'll release NSCocori as basic. I was told no.
      SoI bought her. A month after she arrived, not only did they release her as basic, they also released part of her outfit. -_-
      I was a little annoyed, but what could I do?
      If the flamers hate Soom so much for re-releasing the MD, then perhaps they should stay away from Soom in the future,
      or only buy Basic dolls in the future.

3. I agree with all you have said here Botflybaby.

At the end of the day, SOOM is a business....just to be hypothetical, but what if they've re-released the facial sculpt because business is slow? Most countries are suffering with some sort of recession and what if SOOM needed to make sure they could stay in business? If it were me, I would do what I could to keep things ticking over as surely, these dolls are luxuries and usually the first things to go when people get stumped for cash! What if there were no SOOM at all, that would be even worse, as for me they really have been so creative and original with their products.

I originally had a near fullset Beryl (just minus horns), that I paid over $1600 for at the time on the secondary market. This is because I wanted her and at the time HAD the money available to spend. I understand that people might feel dissapointed, especially if they just wanted the face and paid a lot for it, but that is not SOOM's problem...they don't owe us anything with regard to what they bring out. I think we are fortunate they exist at all and that we are easily able to get their dolls.....(not like Volks limited DD's for example):)

I'm glad that I and others get another chance to have that head as I regret letting my first one go....Sorry to go on, but it really bothers me that some people take it so personally, enough to be rude about it. IT'S BUSINESS! ;)

4. I think what also needs to be taken into consideration is SOOM doesn't know what sculpt is going to be popular or in high demand until its all over. At the time Vesuvia wasn't popular, now a year or two later, she's gained a backing. Same with Beryl, she became popular and in demand after the sale ended and dolls came out. I have heard of a lot of people emailing SOOM wanting to know if they would ever think of releasing another Beryl.....to me, this is SOOM listening to customers. And as said before, SOOM isn't responsible for the second hand market.

5. Actually. Sard did have elf ears (which Dia doesn't have). And Dia has been discontinued in WS, so the opportunities for people to get a 'pseudo-Sard' are a bit more limited now.

On the other hand, I absolutely support Soom in this move, and am thrilled to see them bring back a sculpt like Beryl. I've already sent Soom a personal note on the Q&A thanking them, and telling them to ignore the flaming from people on Beryl's page. I'd encourage everyone who supports Soom to do the same - if all they see are the angry responses from the anti-rerelease side, they will probably change any plans they have to do more rereleases. Anyone hoping to see more old MDs given a new lease on life should consider showing Soom that there's a positive side to their choice.

6. /nod Agreed it is business, and also, as an artist, you want people to enjoy your work, not just lord it up over people who don't have it. And make money, of course :D
      I didn't consider sending them a message, but it's possibly a good idea. Maybe we could do a group message and all sign it in support of their choice to release the sculpts? That way they won't have to read through 50 different ones. Just an idea, I don't mean to push my opinion.

(also, nocturneofsilence, I've been over that entire post a hundred times, and I don't get the irony, can you explain? I blame lack of caffiene and a 13 hour sculpting session.)

7. Yes, I know that. I was referring to this:
      http://dollsoom.com/eng/bbs/board.php?bo_table=gem_notice&wr_id=233&page=2

The rerelease of Sard Soom did a while back. This isn't the first MD they've done this with, after all.

.hlp

8. sharnofshade - I think I will do this to. When they sent my (ex) Saiph, I sent them a thankyou note and I think it is important to show SOOM some support...I've just read some of the messages on the Beryl page and think one or two have behaved shamefully.....:( If people don't like their decision, they can show this by not buying from them anymore if they want to - resulting to name calling IMO, is immature.

Aside from Beryl (that I'd hoped to be available again in some form..), I would LOVE to see Sard and Onyx again. I came into the hobby too late and too poor at the time to get them! ;)

edit note: I left a message of support and thanks for SOOM, but yes maybe they don't need to read 60 messages all the same....! :sweat

9. As a owner of *several* Soom MD limiteds, I figure I should express my thoughts.

I am a little peeved, but let me explain why - this new version of Beryl is hypocritical of Soom. Many *many* times people have expressed interest to Soom in re-releasing (or recasting a new version) of a sculpt. And each and every time Soom has said this will never happen. Because of this, many people have purchased one of these dolls knowing that they'll never have another chance in obtaining this doll (or face paying a 100% markup price secondhand). Yes, some people buy the dolls for the fantasy parts, but some buy them for the sculpt. I for one, buy for the latter - regardless if I like the fantasy parts or not, if I don't like the sculpt, they're not coming home. Had I known about possible re-releases, I might have waited, and quite possibly paid a lesser price.

Oddly enough though, I have purchased a couple MDs secondhand (and paid higher than original cost), I am so darn grateful I have them and do not care what price I paid (I should note these were fullsets and even if they were re-released I would've wanted the original) -- BUT, I do completely understand that some others would be upset about this, especially if they were buying for the sculpt. Some MDs go for ridiculous markups (for even the MD head only!). :p

10. Mixed feelings.

I'm annoyed that Soom are basically lying to people, saying 'limited sculpt, never to be sold again' only to rerelease twice (even if there were only two in the last lottery order). I know Soom don't like the fact others profit so much from the second hand market value when they sold the doll for sometimes half that price, but it's the nature of limited editions in every hobby.

I do like the NS Beryl a lot more, not that I could afford her. As long as they do not sell her in WS and do not resell her fantasy parts, I believe it's not too much of a sin. I liked Beryl's fantasy parts more and would FIND the money to rebuy those, although I would feel very much like I'm taking advantage of a selfish thing Soom would be doing in this case.

If it comes around to the later MDs that were released in NS in the first place, and they release those again, I'll be annoyed. Let's say they resell Chalco in WS though, or Euclase in NS, I wouldn't think it would effect the resell value of the originals a whole lot, and that way the doll is still special to those that had it. I myself would love an NS Cuprit instead of the WS one I had to have instead.

I do with this was a numbered limited though, not a time limit. It would mean better control of the numbers out there, I think.

11. Honestly I would not really be upset about Soom releasing montly in basic if they did not include fantasy part and clothes and all.
      Honestly I always tought Soom were loosing money with not rereleasing some of their mold. The people I know or saw that would kill(perhaps not kill for real) to get a Beryl or another Montly for a reasonable price.... and not over priced secondhand doll.

They will increase their profit for sure for even just re-releasing the heads of the montly and why not sell the body with it(normal body) people want body too. They could release it in small wave like two months on the website then it would still be limited

12. On the flip side of that, I don't know why collectors aren't allowed to like having something rare or harder to get. It's quite possible to like that your doll is less common without setting foot in a meetup to lord it over anyone else. I don't know that many people would suddenly like the doll they've already got less because there was a basic re-release, but they might like Soom less! I agree that secondary market prices aren't something Soom should have to worry about, but as a person who has hussled and penny-pinched to get an MD, I can see how people could get annoyed. If there were basic Chalcos all of a sudden it would only annoy me a little, but I won't begrudge others having stronger reactions.

ETA: I'm not going to say I think the flamers are right though O_O. There's no need to get personal whether you're for or against.

I guess I'm still working it out in my head, too, though - other companies do re-releases, although it's more of an established pattern with them now (Volks and Iplehouse, for example). However, saying this way is the best business decision when it's often the limited nature of sculpts that creates sales doesn't necessarily make sense to me.

13. Um, it's already happening apparently! http://dollsoom.com/eng/shop/list.php?ca_id=10k0

I also belong in the: if they don't release it with the extra fantasy parts and outfits, it's ok group. Basic is just very basic doll, it is not the same. I've always kind of knew Soom would do this because it is wasteful to make so many different molds just for 1 release and be done with them. This way it benefits everybody.

I can understand how it would upset people who bought the limited version for the HUMAN parts though. Perhaps if the basic version skin color is not the same as the limiteds then, would probably be better for Soom. Beryal is not white skin for the basic in this case.

14. Well, if you have both Sard and Dia you know they looks alike but they are not. Of course difference is, visible, on their ears and, less visible, on their eyes.
      But if you want a Sard and you can't have one, Dia is the perfect choice.

As I said I don't see a problem with the rerelease but I can understand who is upset about it and I don't feel the right to say to anyone that he/she is wrong.
      I have bought Beryl time ago, kept her for about 7 months than I decided to sell her with all my other Soom females, who bought her maybe was in love with the full limited or with her head only, that is a chance, I don't know. But I can understand if the person who bought it is upset about the rerelease if her interest was only for the mold. If you know the mold is unique, you are willing to pay a lot for it.

And I agree with the fact that Soom does business. Yes, it is. So I have simply decided time ago to not trust any declaration about "this doll will be limited" cause it is not true =) If enough persons ask for the rerelease and the company see a way to make money, they will rerelease it, for sure.

The "I own a limited and you don't" is something funny but really it happens every time and with every thing. I suppose who own a Ferrari and go with it in the very central streets in Rome (any person can walk faster than you there XD ) do it to say "I own a Ferrari and you don't!".
      It looks normal to me, very human.

15. Totally offtopic here but I was thinking the same when I saw a Ferrari downtown where I live, people were staring enviously to the owner until he hit a speedbump (which are really common here in the Netherlands) and scraped the bottom of his car. I was glad I didnt own that Ferrari at that time <__<.

16. I don't see the problem with them doing this at all. I own a Glati, paying off a Chrom, I own other LEs and it really wouldn't bother me if they were re-released normally. It was my own choice to pay what I did for LEs.

17. I just wanted to add, that some of the people that are upset seem to be so because they have assumed that SOOM knew they were going to re-release a previously limited sculpt? How do we know this to be true, we don't!

I reiterate what I said before, that for all we know, business could be really bad at the moment...I've noticed in the news thread about other companies dropping prices.... Maybe, for argument's sake, they did think they would not re-release limited sculpts, but if they need to ensure sales of dolls to stay in business, does it not make sense to get out your big guns! :lol:

Of course, the recession thing is just MY speculation, but I don't believe SOOM have deliberately and purposefully set out to be duplicitous in any way.....we can't see into the future and do not know what is around the bend.....If it is a case of just surviving as a business, then I say LONG LIVE SOOM! ;)

edit note: As 1000014 said 'It was my own choice to pay what I did' Even if you had to work your butt off and scrimp and scrape to get that doll, it was still YOUR choice.

Ok, I think I've got it all out now....!^^

p.s. I hope those jeans are available too!

18. To be a hypocrite doesn't necessary mean Soom knew they were giving out false information (saying they not going to release something when they were), it's simply saying one thing and doing the opposite, period. If there would have been any hesitation in Soom's responses to re-release requests, it wouldn't bother me so much.

I knew in the back of my mind Soom would re-release some of the MDs someday (being a business they are trying to make money after all), but I never thought it would be so soon. Sure, 2 years might be a longer period of time in the bjd world, but surely it is not in a collector's world.

19. While I completely agree that the body parts, clothing, wig, eyes, blushing, and faceup make the doll a limited.. This is still a bit unfair. If you were told something is discontinued and you have no choice but secondhand, that's what you're gonna do. But what if you wanted a 'Basic' Beryl all along?

I am not in this Beryl situation myself, but I would be upset this way. Beryl heads go for very expensive, completely blank. I can imagine she has been bought to stick on a SG WS girl body and make her human, only head head being limited.

So new question... If you were in previous situation, how would you feel NOW?
      Say you spent $800 on this head that was never supposed to be remolded. But you were not appealed by her 'limited' items, but a basic way?