1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

If you could see/want a positive BJD breakthrough...

Sep 15, 2006

1. Volks sells optional parts for their sunlight skin~

2. -_- you have point there :doh

and usagi665 I had no idea *goes to check it out*

3. I would want then to be like Angelic Layer (anime) Where I could make them move with my mind.^_^

4. I'd like to say, that i make clothing. and i don't think it's very fair for people to think that the Item should be sold based on material cost alone. ALOT of work can go into making some of these outfits.....and it definately is not fair that the person should "have to accept" 4.25 an hour for the work.

I think people often complain about the costs of outfits, without thinking about the fact of what it takes to make them. More often than not, i've had people look at my work, and say "You are charging HOW much for that????" and they don't even look at the level of detail i go into, or how much work it took. Yes, T-shirts take a little less time, but even the most skilled seamstress/tailor spends a good 45 minutes cutting, sewing and hemming a decent t-shirt. It's not unrealistic to place 15.00 on the t, and then an additional 5.00 for supplies. if i sell an outfit for 75.00, and it took 10 hours to make, how much do you think i made, after taking out 10.00 for supplies? that means i just barely made over 6.00 an hour for my work. It's insulting sometimes, how little people expect to pay for quality work. I pay 900.00 for a doll. I'm certainly not going to complain about spending 75.00 on an outfit, you know?

of course i know people are on a budget, i myself am... But too many people degrade the artist by haggling them, (basically telling them that the item isn't worth that).....and it's rude. I mean think about it. If you saw an artpiece, at a show, and the artist wanted 700.00 for it, would it be polite to go up to them and say "I"m sorry, your art is not worth that much. I'll give you 250, as that is all it's worth."..........It's rather rude. (and yes, i know some people would actually DO that LOL)

there is a reason that the some of the outfits on Luts are 225.00....it took HOURS to make them.

5. I don't mean that all items should go down in price or that they should be based on material costs. I agree with a lot of the clothing pricing I see for dolls. I also think that a lot of things are fairly inexpensive for the ammount of work that obviously went into them. My comment was just about the things that ARE over priced. Such as some things that are very simple to make that only cost larger sums in people sizes because of materials. This does not cover most doll garments. But does cover a few and those were the ones I was talking about.

I still am suprised at how little some shirts go for. A tailored dress shirt is a pain enough to make in people sizes. Let alone trying to make a tiny little cuff that's perfectly sized down and has a button. *has seen this and stared in awe*

I understand where the miscommunication came in though. The T-shirt comment wasn't directly linked to the issue about material costs. I'm sorry if I was confusing. ><

Depending on your material though why would it take 45 minutes to make a doll T-Shirt? If you're doing it on a machine and constructing it like a person sized T-shirt it shouldn't take that long... Especially considering that for a doll T-shirt you'd use slightly different stitching since I doubt most people have one of those clunker industrials that does it. That and I've found cutting fabric takes a LOT less time for doll clothes even if I double check everything and use a tracing wheel to make absolute sure there isn't any shift while cutting.

I'm not trying to argue what you said. I'm just curious why it would take that long.

Edit: This is just a side note about clothes from companies. Do we know how large the batches are that the clothes are made in? Depending it might not take long at all for each garment to be completed. I'm sure it's a fairly small run. But is that fairly small run a run of 50 or a run of 1,000. Also a person out here is likely to be someone at home cutting each garment one at a time and sewing on a home machine. Which takes longer than bulk cutting and industrial machines. Though I highly doubt they're mass producing I am curious as to how the larger companies do it. *isn't saying they arn't worth what is charged in many cases*

6. SECONDED.
      Bigger knockers, please!

As for me, my only real wish is for sandable tan skintones. I want to separate those fingers, damnit!

7. Julie M Wrote:
      "3. Inventions are not perfected overnight. Truthfully, the BJD world hasn't been around for so very long, unless you look to the dolls of the 19th century which were ball jointed and strung (no, not with fiber wrapped rubber bands .. that didn't happen until fairly recently). Please admire what the companies have managed to achieve. If it hasn't happened quickly enough for you, try to sculpt a doll on your own. It really is amazing how far this hobby has come, and how quickly."

It may be true that wrapped rubber bands are more recent, still 19th c. composition BJDs were still held together by rubber bands, and wrapped ones are an improved rubber band. Since this thread is about breakthroughs we thought might be possible, I took that as technological breakthrough. It is possible that a different way of holding the dolls together could be developed, who knows? This does not mean I dislike the dolls because they are strung. Nor do I think breakthroughs are an overnight thing. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if some companies are wondering if there is a way to hold dolls together that won't weaken so quickly and hold with more even tension. Or there may be developments in how the dolls joints are actually assembled.

I think, based on other threads here, that most people would like to see resins with more light resistant qualities and less yellowing over time. Sounds like that one is currently being worked on.

8. i'm sure that some of the companies have like 10 or 15 sewing machines in a stuido, and all the people are making one costume at a time...so they start with a quota, and directions on how to make outfit 1. then they move on to outfit 2. then 3, then 4. but at 10 or 15 at a time, they have 15 outfits of the same design, in like 5 or 6 hours.

9. Volks has made a new UV-resistant resin, with UV protection mixed right into the resin itself :3 I assume this means the dolls take much longer to yellow.

10. Actually....
      It isn't that simple....
      If you ave like 10 or 15 sewing machines, you will be paying for 10 or 15 sewing machines, each at nearly 70~80 GBP and quite a few overlockers, which cost min of 150GBP each (and you need to look very hard for them)

Then you will be paying for 15 workers and all the administrative logistics to support them, secretary who sort out pay checques, for a start.

Supplies are not as cheap as a lot of people may think....
      Some of the lace materials used in detailed and delicate outfits often seen on ebay cost over 15GBP/meter. Most seamstresses, not buying at 3000m-rolls of fabric at a time, won't be getting too much discount.
      There is the cost of buying and maintaining 10~15 sewing machines, electricity....etc

Not being able to afford the fabric and pattern cutting machines in large scale factories, we have to deal with our fabrics by hand.
      Some fabrics, like Chiffon or Organza, can be absolute nighmares to draw patterns on or cut properly.
      And it gets worse when the shapes gets bigger.... Like a large long chiffon skirt.

I think whoever complain about prices of outfits should try to make their own outfit....
      It will give a new insight

11. I'm adding my vote for SANDABLE, CLEANABLE, MORE STABLE TAN RESIN!! :eusa_pray

Would love to be able to bring Ilya into the sun anytime, without fear of him turning pale yellow-green... would love to clean him with the wonderful toxic cleaning-sponge, when he gets stained by dark pants... would love to sand bits of him when he needs it... *sigh*

Considering that my main Wish To The Doll Fairies of last year was "build me a big tall broad-shouldered boy with long muscular legs and cheekbones out to There and a poseable joint-system like the SDCute".... *coughcoughyukinojo*... Then I think I'm doing pretty good on the wish-fulfillment so far. ^_^ I have faith in the Doll Fairies. So, someday, sandable tan boys. Keep wishing on those stars.

And I don't care if this makes me a callous consumer, but yes: Lower bloody prices. <end rant>

12. Yes, Please please let the tan resin be sandable. I want to separate Kai's little fingers!

13. LOL i wasn't implying that it's CHEAP lol I was simply implying about how i think they might do it LOL I was simply saying i don't think that there is one little old lady somewhere in Korea making each single outfit one at a time LOL

:)

14. More things for 70 cm dolls. It is an utter pain trying to get stuff that fits Konna because of the disproportionately long limbs. It seems that most everything affordable is made for SD13 and smaller. Dollshe is a popular company, so why isn't there more out there for them?

When it comes to the clothing, I see both pros and cons for lowering the pricing. I *have* made my own clothes before, both human and doll. (I admit that I'm not that good at it, but I have done it.) Things that seem simple turn out to not be so simple at times, and things that look complicated sometimes turn out to be easier.

Now, for the level of detail most *artists* put into their work, just as if one were ordering a tailored outfit for one's own self, I can totally understand charging more for it. People like Julie M put a heckuva lot of time and detail and care into their clothes, and they deserve to be paid more for that.

I get frustrated looking at things that seem to be mass-produced (keyword is seem) that cost more than something I could buy in my own size and was also mass-produced. And I admit to being a bigger person, so I'm used to having to spend more for clothing. I get frustrated when the jeans I would buy for my doll are more than I have to pay to cover my giant rear end. I get frustrated when the shoes I would buy for him cost enough to buy me three or more new pairs (and I'm not even a big shoe person). Now, if I could see that these were all hand done, and not mass-made on ickle machines, it wouldn't bother me so much.

15. For some reason I'd like to see much larger BJD's, larger than Hounds of course, like the size of a large porcelain doll, perhaps at around 90-100cm XD! I just love their faces so much, I'd love to see it in big, I hope that made sense XD

16. Ok, my idea is most likely going to start drama. I am sorry beforehand.

I want items that are generic, just ok quality to less expensive than other clothing. Now, hear me out. I am talking about items that tank tops, basic jeans, undies, and socks. These items can be made by almost anyone with sewing machine. If these items were sold to humans they would be in the $5- $10 dollar range at a store like Walmart. (Jeans would be about $20-$40.) This items of course aren't super fashionable but are basic. But it bothers me when there a tank top on for BJD selling for $20.

I am not however saying that all prices of everything should go down. Like with human clothes you don't go to Walmart and buy bondage pants for $20. You go to Hot Topic and pay much more. The same should be true of doll clothes.

17. On the topic of the pricing and labor for doll clothes, I stopped buying doll clothes from a company (not BJD related, but doll related, will not name it even if you PM me) because they marked up the prices way too high, but had cheap labor from overseas. In general, I do not support the sweatshop industry, neither will I ever give my money to companies that contract cheap labor.

That being said...

+ As far as clothes, for simpler things like t-shirts and jeans, I'd like to see a lower price on them. If American Girl can sell doll jeans for $22, fine. Noodles, I agree with you on that point. However, I do agree for much more complex outfits - period, gothc, lolita, cosplay, etc, I'm not too surprised with the prices. All the more reason why I enjoy making my own clothes. (Sewing is so much fun!)

+ I'd also like to see more MSD loli dresses that can be easily available to the US. I've seen so many girl doll dresses on Yahoo Japan that I've fell in love with. I don't trust shopping services. I'm too iffy on that. Yet, it's things like this that give me more motivation to sew and make my own stuff.

+ I'm really sick of a lot of elitist attitudes, then again, what community doesn't? Believe it or not, I was very close not to getting a doll because I felt very unwelcomed with the community because I said I liked such and such dolls.

+ And end to dolly bias! I love everything! (yes, even Bratz believe it or not!)

+ That my friends (aka - poor college students) can also have their own dolls one day!

+ Respecting each other's dolls and property at doll gatherings. We paid loads of amounts on these dolls. Treat other dolls the way you want your doll to be treated. I've had my doll's hat stolen at AX05.

+ As someone who considers herself active in the Asian American community, I'm just really sick of some attitudes that people have about Japan. Not everyone in Japan is 100% familliar with these dolls. Not everyone in Japan gets off to yaoi. Japan's streets is not paved with pocky.

+ Company sponsored events that cater to all types of ABJDs! I'd love to have an event simillar to the Volks Tea Party, but some event to the same effect that invites ALL dolls. I respect Volks and all, but I think it would be nice if there would be an event such like it. Ah well, that's what local gatherings are for! (but something where we can all dress up and have snacks and stuff too!)

+ That my boyfriend can be less afraid of them! lol (not gonna happen, but I let him handle my R and D Angel at doll gatherings!)

18. Well, most "high priced" jeans are that price because they look so real, (Mio and Volks V Jeans), they're worth the money because they're like an exact miniature pair of jeans you'd be able to wear yourself. There are some independent seamstresses who I've read do comparable work at lower prices, but keep in mind if everyone commissioned them then they would get swamped and likely shut down their commissions after the first few slots got filled up within hours of reopening. And that a lot of seamstresses only sell low at first so they can establish a customer base and slowly start raising their prices to a point where they're making actual profit and having their hard work fully appreciated. Or they may even shut down commissions and just do eBay/website sales, where they can be as imaginative as they want and not have to deal with customer demands anymore.

19. mainly repeating others' wishes, but...

1. cheaper clothes. for clothes that are complex in design, or have lots of little attachments or things have have to be hand-sewn, i can understand the inflated price. but for simple things like t-shirts, hoodies, casual clothing???

2. more casual footwear for SD boys. why should all the cute sneakers and sports shoes and chucks go to the girls? it's so hard to find a pair of affordable casual shoes for my boys. and indeed, i stil haven't gotten any of them a pair that fits them.

3. option parts. like arms, torsos, legs, etc. for those who want to mod, or those who are accident-prone or have such inclined dolls. or CP dolls that don't stand and love to suddenly smash onto the floor.

4. more elasticized wigs~!! ^^() so far, all the wigs i have float on my yder. and if i had an elf yder, i imagine that the problem would be even worse. that way companies wouldn't have to make so many sizes of wigs, and yet, they'd all still fit onto almost any doll's head.

5. places that make props specifically to BJD size. wouldn't that be nifty???

6. and i am SO repeating the request for companies to sell their 'flawed' parts. they'd make excellent experiment material, and if they can make a profit from it, perhaps it would cut down a little on the overall BJD price. in a hobby as expensive as this, every little saving helps.

7. less limited dolls. either that, or limited dolls with larger batch numbers. ;_; it's heartbreaking to not be able to get your hands on something you really want, and knowing that on the secondary market, it'll likely be so expensive that you could never really afford it either.

8. SHIPPING OPTIONS. i don't want to pay EMS for a few articles of clothing, or for a pair of shoes or a neck-piece and a few facemasks, or eyelashes. i don't care if it takes 2 weeks (like airmail from the US to here--and with airmail within asia, surely it wouldn't take as long). because if i just HAVE to have it now, i'll spring for the more expensive shipping, but if i don't, at least i have the option of paying less.

20. Sorry if I'm repeating too much what other have already said..

-I would LOVE to see prices lowered on a lot of items. (Because being 15, without a job, and being interested in this hobby really does NOT work well. XD)
      I mean, I can understand that some things are very intricate, or handsewn and whatnot, but some things are just far over-priced.
      And shoes, as well. I haven't been able to buy a proper pair of shoes for my boy, just because of the fact that I never have enough money, and my parents think the prices are ridiculous.

-There should really be more American distributors around. ;__;

-Also more variety in clothings. There's so many things that are very much the same, very much generic sort of styles of clothing.

-Though I don't have a tan doll, and I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, I'd love for companies to actually mould the dolls in that colour, not coat them. Because I've heard from far too many people about the problems that can come about. D:

-Less limited dolls. It breaks my heart so much to see so many gorgeous dolls that I know I'll never have.