1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

IMPLDOLL Fantasia Discussion thread

Feb 18, 2010

1. I was wondering, if another company did pointy feet/long fingers, would that put you off to that doll? Or is it just that this one is so similar to soom? Would it depend on what they look like? *I.e. different posed fingers, shorter thumbs, curled toes instead of straight*

2. I've definitely been seeing the Soom similarities, but I'm waiting to see where they go next. They may simply be testing the waters, so to speak, before putting a lot of extra time into a more original doll.

As one of the first adoptees of an Impldoll, I can assure you that the posing is incredible. If they made a 60cm body, I'd happily swap out all my boys' existing bodies. As it is, at 64cm, I'm having to be a little more judicious. :)

The resin is nice, with no seam lines whatsoever, but the first several dolls arrived with broken fingers, mine included. So it does make me a little bit worried about durability. No problems since then, but still.

3. I also thought "Soom copy" upon first impression of these dolls. And that was my first look at Fantasia too, then I saw Ember which cinched my opinion. The fantasy feets are like Topaz, while the hands, ears, and lips remind me of Amber. That combined with name is just too obvious.

Not that is bothers me. The aesthetic does not appeal to me. If impl had better sculpts maybe I'd feel a little bit interested because the price is better than Soom. I also dig the purple resin. If they were better quality it would compliment Soom, but I think these are better off staying far away from Amber and Topaz LOL

Maybe they were too nervous to make something totally new. Or they just felt really inspired by Soom, but it doesn't look like they put as much effort into them. Like the introductory pictures of the twins are just low resolution snapshots. Maybe something more exciting will come out next. I think its cool that more fantasy dolls are coming out.

EDIT:
      I wouldn't mind extra fantasy parts to swap around. But it looks like they threw those weird leafs on the wrists and feet to differentiate from Soom. The leafs look too cartoony or something. I also LOVE the soom transparent resin. Topaz fantasy parts are amazing. So really, it comes down to quality. When its just a copy of something else of better quality, it does not bring the same excitement or desire.

4. I'm not real into or even that familiar with Soom or Impl dolls but when I came across Ember at DDE I was shocked by her overall resemblance to Amber and even did a double take on the name (I'd seen an Amber in person at a doll meet). No one owns the concept of fairies or what have you...but I think Impl could put a little more originality in their work.

5. Oh ok I get it XD I was confused over this subject. I thought people were ranting because of the fact they have pointy feet/slim fingers. But its because they look so close to Sooms?
      Hands aside since they pretty much are the same, the feet to me however are very much shorter then Topaz's?

6. Hmm. I have to admit that when I first saw her, I thought that she was incredibaly pretty but she did remind me of SOOM, likewise with Ember. While everyone is saying that her hands resemble Topaz/Heliot's, they remind me more of Cass's. I was looking at my Cass's hand and it is very similar. See:

[​IMG]

Not identical, I know ... but similar (methinks at least). Saying that though, I'm no expert on other MDs hands lol.

7. Then again SOOM wasn't the first to have horns yet other doll companies bring out horn dolls and IMMEDIATELY say they rip off SOOM, take Resinsoul Dan for instance. Think on it also, it's a small doll world.

8. Okay, maybe this is just me being a brat. But I'm really tired of almost every company that comes out getting accused of copying some other company. Humans only have so many looks before they start to look similar and the same with many fantasy creatures.

Soom has so many sculpts out now, don't they have enough to cover many different looks? I mean yeah Fantasia does bear resemblence to the Soom Topaz, but that doesn't mean she was a copy. I think she still is pretty unique. But lips, eye shapes/angles, and such, just how many variations are there to where each doll is unique from the other? That's all I'm saying :/

I feel bad for ImplDoll now because there could be so many people detered from their company since they think they are a copy. :[

9. Agreed. SOOM dolls are no less beautiful and still more valuable for their rarity no matter what. Angelheim was accused as a copy of SOOM when they first came out. Be happy if anything to get a doll SIMILAR to a MD and yet more available and less expensive then SOOM's. There is actually a company who IS and has stated of offering exact SOOM MD copies. IMPLDOLL is not this company. People liked the fairy doll type that Amber was so Impldoll took the initiative to make something to fill for those who missed out. And no one thinks that Heliot's horn seems to match Sinyland's unicorn horns offered? Or Resinsoul's hooved dolls, or peapod or Angelheim "copying" hooves?

10. I'm not sure I like the wrist things on her wrists and ankles, and modding a doll that color would only be if I didn't want to buy the blushing (which I do), but I seriously love the sweet face and the type. The similarities don't bother me, I know inspiration comes from many places.

11. I think maybe a lot of it has to do with some people liking the Soom MDs to be completely unique and more valuable. If there is a version that is more economically priced, well people might just like those more. Like "Doll Elitism" or whatever its called.

That's just my personal thought though.

12. I just want to reiterate that nobody has accused Impldoll of literally copying any of Sooms' dolls, "copying" meaning recast or sculpted off of.

I have said multiple times that I acknowledge the fact that Impldoll has not physically copied Soom dolls. I don't like new companies being bombarded with suspicion and accusations any more than the next person. I am not one to jump the gun and call a company a recaster/bootlegger.

What myself and others in the thread have been pointing out is that Impl obviously used the Soom dolls in question as an inspiration for their own dolls, at least to some extent. No one is accusing Impldoll of being bootleggers. I will say again that the issue at hand is simply a question of ethics, which often boils down to opinion. In my opinion and the opinion of a few other members who have participated in the thread so far, the Impl dolls are simply too similar to the Soom dolls in terms of concept and specifics for us to ignore.

I say "concept and specifics" to be clear on exactly what I mean. I don't mean Impl is copying Soom for having a fairy doll or a fantasy doll - that is a broad concept. I'm referring to Impl and Soom both having a fairy/fantasy doll with numerous specific similarities within that concept.

Bexii: I thought the exact same thing. I was actually browsing Soom's monthlies after doing a Fantasia-Topaz comparison for a monthly that had scales on their hands/arms/legs like Fantasia, because I distinctly remembered one that had that. I identified that doll as Cass and was struck by the similarities of the hands... much more similar than Amber's.

13. Honestly? We own an Amber. We didn't buy her for value, but for the doll herself- she'll never leave our family. If the Soom MD value drops, HURRAY! There's still older MD's i missed out on that I want to get.

Without question, not a single hesitation in my mind, Impldoll's sculpts look too much like Soom's. I'm not saying they're direct copies, but you COULD do fairies and elves in a different way. MANY other companies have done so, and they still look unique. The ears on Amber/Ember? How can you possibly look at those and not see the direct resemblance?

If they aren't intentional copies, then Impldoll's creativity is extremely poor- not the kind of thing I like to see in a company. I think this was an unfortunate choice for them, which is sad, because they have lovely headmolds. There are thousands of mythical creatures out there- doing two in a row styled similar to Soom's is not some casual coincidence.

14. Resinsoul and angelheim hooves came after Soom. I never heard of the Sinyland dolls before soom--I didn't see their fantasy parts come out until long after Sard. And I would probably get some Sinyland parts if they were cheaper and larger. But I never noted anyone saying they copied soom either.

IMO, Angelheim dolls were pretty original and seem more inspired by Soom than copying them. I was initially interested in the snakes and wolf MSD, but their hooves looked too weird. It seemed like a lot more people have been waving "Kudos" at AH than knocking them.

Reading over comments, it seems like people are mostly just noting the similarity. I personally beleive the majority care more about the quality over defending a particular company, and apparently impl didn't make anything else that was especially exciting that the discussion focuses on Soom LOL

For me its a synergistic effect of these dolls as comparable to soom. Impldoll did themselves a disservice in their choices they made simply because Amber is unparallelled. FYI, Amber's appeal has nothing to do with the price, limited release, or manufacture. Has everything to do with the quality & beauty of the doll itself. If impl can make something as beautiful for half the price, I would be jumping with joy (but of course not an exact copy).

But to bring discussion back to Fantasia, I look forward to seeing more photos to see her in all her glory. Hopefuly clothed in an awesome dress.

15. Eloisa: We're NOT saying they're copies, just that its obviously influenced or inspired by Soom's dolls (and DoD's, and Bambicrony's...) And sure, Fairies have all the same features. Just like humans >>;

Again, i'd like to point this out: It's not just soom! I've pointed it out earlier, and a few people have commented on it, but it seems to be getting lost in the Soom talk--they were 'obviously inspired' by Dream of Doll's DoCs and Bambicronies colored elves as well as Soom's MDs. And i'm thinking AoD as well for some of the mini sculpts.

IMPL's sculpting style seems to be all over the place. It seems to me (my opinion, not an accusation) that they're trying to recreate certain styles or sculpts in their own dolls. I'm not saying its bad to recreate certain aspects, but not basing entirely new sculpts directly on others ^^;

16. Even if Impldoll is borrowing some aspects from other companies, I don't think one can accuse them of being entirelly unoriginal. Their dolls have a very unique look to them, and it would be hard to mistake one for anything else. That being said, I can see what you guys are talking about, but I don't think this is the right place to be discussing this. This thread is supposed to be about Fantasia - whether we like her or not - not about recent trends in Impl's designs/Implchildren/Implbabies/copyright infringment/artistic integrity/whatever.

I suggest that someone start a thread in one of the discussion areas, or move this one if you really want to debate this topic.

17. monkeypizzasonic: Kinda funny, the discussion of this started up in the news thread. It was moved out of there and into here ^^;; I agree though. It seems a little odd that they put the general impl doll discussion all in here rather than making a general thread for it

18. Wow this thread got negative fast :\ I feel bad for the people who want to get her but thinking otherwise because of the "cheap knock off" implications.

19. I'm in agreement with the fact that Impl seems more interested in being a Poor man's option for certain companies. I never picked up on the DoD or Bambicrony simularities untill they were pointed out here, but now that I see them, it is pretty glaringly obvious.

I love ImplDoll's style, admittedly moreso that most of the company's they are pulling their ideas from, especially Soom. Honestly, the only fullset Soom doll I would enjoy owning is Topaz, so upon seeing Fantasia, I immediately thought, "Wow, a gorgeous Topaz I might be able to own!"

I even went through a similar thing upon seeing Ember. I quickly showed her to friend who is desperate for Amber, but she balked and then worried about whether or not ImplDoll will stay afloat with the obvious idea swiping.

It's true that Impldoll's recent sculpts are originally crafted and show the style that runs through all of the dolls, but it's also true that they seem to be digging for success by ripping ideas from other successful shops. Despite their doll's high quality and great customer service, I don't know if they'll last if they keep this up.

20. Sigh... my criticism was never of the doll, but of the company's creativity. That's it.