1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Importance of doll certificate?

Mar 24, 2017

1. Yes i think it's really important when you buy a doll

2. It is very important to me. The only time I could imagine buying a doll without it is if the doll was a secondhand doll and the manufacturer did not provide COA's at the time of the original purchase, or if the company brands their dolls with an intricate plate on the back of the head or something along those lines that would be very difficult to copy. In any other case I require a COA. To me it is solid proof of the fact that with this purchase, I supported the artists who pour their hearts and souls into these dolls.

3. .

#43 Gintsumi, Apr 2, 2017
      Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    4. The COA for me is just a bonus, It doesn't bother me if it doesn't have one.... well as long as the seller is reliable, and on DOA. I've bought a few second hand ones on eBay and Facebook, and before I make any purchase plans I always ask if they are on DOA and if they have a review page. I read their reviews, If the reviews are favorable, then I inquire about COA. If the people are reliable/have favorable reviews, I'll take the doll without a COA. But usually I'd rather have it just for piece of mind.

As far as some companies not giving out COA It always shocks me. An exception of that is with a company like Mirodoll that is a very affordable doll company, I'm not surprised that they don't have COA. But a higher-end company that doesn't give one... makes me hesitate... and worry.... I guess in such cases, I'll have to start requesting the Original PO/Receipt to come with the doll.

5. I've been bad when it comes to keeping my doll certificates together but they are very important for resale. I'm hoping that unless I'm about to be homeless I'll be keeping all my dolls <3

6. I will only buy a second hand doll without a COA if it is not on a recaster list....which at this point means chinese doll companies. I am even leery of buying second hand dolls even with a COA if it doesn't have a company box.

It is too easy to replicate dolls, paint jobs, and COAs. Just look at the recasts on tinder or facebook.

So unless its incredibly cheap (which i have taken the risk for super cheap dolls), I'll pass if it is a popular recasted doll without a COA and company box.

7. I only buy second hand dolls with COA if they come with it. Some companies' dolls don't come with COA (Bluefairy and Luts didn't have COA when I purchased them a long time ago... I can't speak for current time), and in that case it's a matter of trusting the seller.

The reason why I put such high importance in COA is resell value. I don't buy my dolls with intent of selling them later, but I don't want to keep dolls that I don't want anymore. In that case, I will need a COA to show that the stuff I'm selling are authentic. Also it makes me feel more complete? I even keep receipts lol.
      The only doll without paper receipt (I think I accidentally threw it away) is my Volks Jo. But I never intend to sell her, so it's not a big deal to me and she has all her papers.

8. yes omg, that way you know its authentic

9. This is something that has really bothered me since returning to the hobby recently - I was so shocked to see all the fakes on eBay, makes searching for stuff on there really hard :( I used to buy second hand without even thinking about certificates (though most of my dolls came with certificate + box anyways), but now I wouldn't take the risk, there's just no way of telling if it's legit or not. Maybe I would buy from a trusted seller on DoA rather than eBay, but I'd be looking to pay a lot less.

10. I personally would definitely go for the certificate. it is more like a certificate to proof my doll is authentic. unless i lost it, then it is another story lol

11. Certificates are important if you ever want to sell or otherwise need to prove you doll is genuine. The more valuable or rare the doll is the more important they are or if the brand is know to have been counterfeited. If the seller has a cert it should be included with the doll.

12. It's important to have one these days. I would have to be very certain about the seller and the doll in question to consider purchasing without a CoA, and would likely not do it at all if it was a heavily recasted sculpt.

When I bought my Dollshe Saint, the seller told me they had lost his certificate. I went through with it all anyway because he came in his original box and seemed to have a pretty straightforward history, and told her if she ever ran across it again, even if it was years down the road, please let me know. Sure enough, 18 months later she ran across the certificate in a box and mailed it to me. It was a funny situation, and didn't stress me much because I didn't ever plan to sell him, but it's good to have it. You never know what's around the corner.

#52 Havra, Sep 3, 2017
      Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    13. correct me if I am wrong but from what I see most volks dolls that are limited - not talking FCS - do NOT come with a certificate of authenticity they only come with some paperwork, which is basically the photo of the doll you are buying. There is no certificate showing the amount produced and the date the doll was created and the name of the doll or anything similar. So Luna, Lorina, Charlotte would only come with what we refer to has paperwork. which again is just a photo of the doll with the name of the doll on it (under the photo of the doll normally) one sheet of colored paper and normally a booklet or other papers which have nothing to do with the specific doll.

So if you wanted a volks limited doll you would be out of luck if you wanted that COA.

14. Since I have seen many posts about using CoA for reselling, recast prevention purposes, I would like to offer my opinion from the perspective of those who seeks permanent keeping: To me, the CoA is like a birth certificate since a lot of them have birthdays written on them like how humans have their birth certificates as well :) It makes the doll a little special to keep since having similarity with human beings increases the intimacy between the owner and the doll (aka 'bonding' for some people), I guess.

15. I never really thought about doll certificates just because I thought if it was just me having the doll, who would need validation. But now with the larger recast scandals, I find safety in having these certificates even though I've purchased straight from the company.

16. Case: When splitting a doll, keeping the coa with the head and make a copy of the coa for the body.
      Maybe it is a good way when making the Coa copy to know that it is the true and only copy from the doll, Or else people can just make many copies of the same coa and sell alot of bodies.
      So does any of you have an idea of how to make a coa copy that can not be faked? >_<

17. That's why taking a screenshot of your purchase order form, or the sale thread you buy from can be important. Plus, when companies send along just business-card size COA's, and you shuffle your dolls among boxes (or use the box as a temporary carrier and put things in a "safe place"), you'd be amazed at how they can dig themselves away out of sight. Add a couple of years, and even screenshot files can get buried on a drive somewhere. (Thank goodness we can name files really long, descriptive things!)

Even a COA isn't ironclad protection. There was a situation years ago of a recaster coming out with both a particular company's official COAs and their boxes. So serial numbers started showing up on paperwork. Now there's another situation of a recaster duplicating another company's COA sheet, right down to the color of the logo.

In the end, you've got to trust the seller- what do you say when they state - especially with body sales - that they'll give you a photocopy of the COA because they're keeping the original with the head? Often only b&w. That's why some companies now have serial #s for both parts, or even dual COAs, one for the body and one for the head. But not all companies. And what about when people break up complete sets of special parts or swap out hands or feet?

I've been in the hobby now since 2006. And have had the impulse to sell dolls I never thought I would. It happens. Sometimes people HAVE to sell some or all of their dolls. That happens too.

If it was a perfect world, I do like the idea of considering COA's like birth certificates. Not every company actually puts a complete "birthdate" on it, but it's nice when they do, since unless you're good at keeping records, you do forget months and days - and sometimes years of purchase --

18. Some of my dolls I either bought without, lost, or can't find the COA, HOWEVER, for any doll I've bought from a company, I can show my order from them, and 90% of my dolls are bought with their default faceups too, so that really helps.

19. CoA is pretty important to me. It is a way to determine recast doll. I will not buy any second doll without CoA. I know the recast doll seller is trying to make fake CoA and improving their recast technology, but I really don't know what way else I can use to indetify a recast doll.

20. Once I searched a doll online, I found a website has lots of limited doll. I was so excited and then i realized they might be recasted dolls. It include lots of famous brands, and their price even higher than the real one. After that, when I interested in a second hand doll, I always ask for CoA, for some owner lost their certification, I always asked for the purchase record to prove they are from the original company, not recast by others.