1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Impulse Buying: The way of the bjd world X3

Sep 12, 2010

1. If ever I want to buy something on impulse in the dolly world, I always leave the tab open and keep surfing the net for a little while. (At least a few hours, but more often a day or two.) Then I go back to it, and once the glamour of "OH ITS SO PRETTY I WANT IT NOW" has worn off, I find it's much easier to decide if I really want it or not.

Most of the time it works.

Unfortunately with the case of the Soom Epidos, it doesn't work and it turns out that the "OMG ITS SO PRETTY I WANT IT NOW" reoccurs every time I looked at him until I succumbed to it.

2. I generally don't buy things on impulse if they are standard items, but if I see a limited item I really like, and I happen to have the funds available, I'd most certainly pounce on it. XD That's what I did for my IOS Anos head, I learned that he was produced in very limited numbers and he looked like the perfect fit for one of my characters. Never regretted it since. :)

3. Uhm, impulse buys ... xD Well, let's just say I know of those :p

I thought about the first doll, since I wanted to know for sure he was the one I wanted. Then I fell in love with my second. The third made my heart melt and turn to sugar. The forth (head) just passed my life and entered. About the fifth I did some thinking, but no longer than 2 weeks after I had a dream about that one xD

Luckily, I don't fall in love too easy, it was just odd to have that happen so soon after eachother :p

4. I can admit to buying outfits and wigs and such for dolls I do not own yet...
      But I usually give myself at least a day to think if I should REALLY buy it or if I can afford to, etc.
      My dolls tend to be kind of impulse buys too. XD
      Or maybe it just feels that way a lot of the time because recently I keep falling in love with limited dolls.
      So I only have a limited time to think weather or not I really want them.
      Although in the end I always give myself time to think a little before buying something. Even if its just a day.

5. I have a problem with impulse buying, so I really try to control it.
      When I decided I wanted a Pukifee, even though I had the money to buy it, I forced myself to set aside a small portion of savings specifically for the Pukifee.
      Especially since the money I already had was dogeared for a wedding and a house purchase. >_<

It's partially a test in will power, and partially a test of "Will I still like it months from now when I can actually pay for it?"
      So far this has worked out for me.

6. I need to make a mental note now to never browse around the marketplace when I'm feeling down, ever again... -.- I ended up getting sucked into buying something I never thought I would buy!! Like, this head on my wishlist. I mean I wanted it, but at the same time I wasn't sure what I'd do with it--but I just had to have it. :x God hope I won't regret this.

7. I'm too poor to impulse-buy, lul... >>; But I guess the closest thing was the Neferti I ordered. I was just blown away by the sales pictures, and I had the means to place my order... and I felt like a treat. XD; I haven't regretted it either, even with all the waiting I've been doing. I just wish I could've taken advantage of the body offer, too. I didn't have *quite* enough for that set aside... ;P

8. When you find that special/awesome doll(s) and/or item(s), the impulse is to GET IT NOW OR THIS CHANCE WILL NOT COME AGAIN OR SO EASILY AGAIN:o!!!!!!! :lol: Those special dolls/items are something you usually don't regret because they are something you always wanted or dream of having!:D:aheartbea I got one of the items that I did a impulse buy on and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!:D:D:D I AM SUPER HAPPY I GOT IT!!!!:) BJDS ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!:blush:dance:kitty2:sumomo:

9. lol yeah.... that's a little how my first doll is.... I had been making plans for a MiniFee... and earlier this month put a first payment on a 5StarDoll Tong Tong. lol! Part of it was because she was just really gorgeous, I fell in love at first sight, and then the site I got it from was going to put a hold on orders for about a month. When I saw that it kinda helped me push forward to ordering her since I wanted to get the order in before they stopped accepting orders (lol even though I was going to do it in payments so I wouldn't get her til they came back!).

10. Sometimes I sadly succumb to impulse, even though I know I shouldn't :sigh

I wasn't planning on getting another floating head since I was already having a hard time finding bodies for the two that I already have, but then Migidoll just opened her ordering period and I just suddenly had this mad urge to buy one. Originally it was gonna be Miho, but opted for Jina in the end so that it would help even out the number of girls. She's my birthday present to myself (and I figured whatever bday money I get will go towards her body). This impulsive streak certainly put my dolly plans awry since I was saving up and planning to get a different doll entirely.

And then there's Souldoll and their extremely limited outfits. Buying those are certainly impulsive since you never know when they'll become available, and when they do, they're not available for long so if you really want one you really have to spring for it when the chance arises :|

11. I've got to post again, since I can already feel myself about to cave and throw money at something I should NOT be having- still, I just passed my driver's test today, and it's a hugely momentous occasion which merits snagging that head that I'm in love with right? right? ahem. You see my point of course.

12. I know i have been buying so much i have finally slowed down...my first buy was customhouse 2sd dolls well i new i had a long wait so i shopped for cheaper dolls just so i could have one in my hand....then i went crazy. Now i have 4 msd and 2sd and i still do not have the first dolls i ordered in feb. I still want more but after i had my ringdoll rebecca home i didn't like her.so i'm not sure what i'm going to do but know i know to slow down and don't buy everything i see.

13. LOL I didn't buy a lot of stuff right after I orded my Doll despite other people saying "only buy the clothes after you have the doll with you" since he's height was little odd but hey turns out everything works just fine xD
      I guess I didn't learn my lesson there yet...I might do it again when I have the chance xDD|||||

14. I am the Queen of Impluse buying
      Unfortunately I know my credit card number and details off my heart!

15. I used to be more of an impulse doll buyer, but I have gotten much better at getting past the initial "Ah, its gorgeous and limited/on sale, I need to buy it now!" reaction. I wait and think it over, and try to put the doll out of my mind, and if I still keep going back to that doll after a few weeks then I seriously consider actually buying it. But once I've decided that yes, I want this doll -- then I don't really plan when I'm going to buy it, I just sort of impulsively do it one day. ^^;

Strangely, I don't often impulse buy clothes/shoes/etc. I guess its because they are usually not limited, and I rarely find the "perfect" anything for my dolls in part due to some odd fitting issues and in part due to the type of things I like them to wear. I tend to plan out eye and wig purchases especially, which is probably why so many of my dolls have had to wait so long for their proper look. xD

16. I can totally understand when you go to certain doll sites and they have amazing outfits that are perfect!:D
      Then you click on them and it says in red "SOLD OUT"!:doh:...(:horror::sigh:|
      A whole rush of emotions appear on your face! That is my experience when I see them sold out and limited edition that are never coming back to be sold again on the site.:o You learn real quick that if you want something in the bjd world you better get it then or deal with not having it at all. *_* I know you should not impulse buy till you are poor. Just when you have the means to get the items you want without it affecting bills, food, and item you need. Then go go go!!!!!:D Because you never know when you might not have the chance to get that item(s) again. These are for items that you can't stop thinking about! They grab your attention so much you can never ignore or put them out of your mind. That is what happen to me with a few outfits!!*_* They have no mercy...:sweat:lol:

17. My entire life has been on impulse, why should my bjd purchases be any different? Its more fun that way!

18. My first Four dolls were impulse buys... and out of those four, I only kept one. (One was sold due to wanting to give my sick mom a good birthday, the other was sold because his resin was horrific, and the last one I sold was because I fell out of love with her) My fifth doll, I had wanted for a few months after I had joined the hobby. A Dollzone Hid. He was my only really planned buy, since I got a fullset one! The doll after him, however was an Impulsive buy. (My Two-S Doll Mayi) Though she has a boo boo on her leg that will be replaced at some point (Whenever Mint on Card makes another order with Two-S Doll), I consider her to be one of my best impulsive buys. And recently, I made another Impulsive buy on my sixth doll... A Doll Family Zi Luo (or known by his name translation: Violet)... because I have a weakness for good promotions, sales, and Elf boys... :sweat

So what I have learned is some impulsive buys can be really good, and others not so much. It is better to do research and see what others have to say about a company before purchasing a doll... or even what other owners have to say about them. Asking lost of questions helps and seeing owner pictures as well. You can still be impulsive, just do an hour of reading time before you buy. :)

19. I'm brand new to DoA and recently fell into what I call CRAZED love for these dolls. The whole switch going on for them seems like an impulse that came out of no where. Now I keep finding new categories, I guess you'd call them, that I need a doll for, AFTER I see one I want. I thought I'd never buy a male doll. Just saw one on auction with his beautiful black wig, and his attire is complete with the deal, princely type. About time I have one of those. Har, har I always needed one of those.

I deliberate some over the choices, but my heart is totally ruling over my head, or is it my...{addiction} NAH! I NEED this stuff.

I'm here because I was checking out the Two.S.Doll-MAYI. Wasn't sure about buying from what I think is a fairly new company in Chiina. I got my answer here already. Sounded like a thumbs up. Pretty sure I'm going back in to push that buyer button.

The accessories? I'm wanting to make my own, so I have the stuff for that all over my living room, matching up fabrics, trimmings. I was an antique dealer so I have some interesting tidbits I can't wait to try out. Plus, I'm a portrait artist so I just jumped on a doll that included a large set of pastels and brushes. It didn't take long at all for me to decide I want to do my own face-ups. More stuff to grab up.

I'd say my heart is completely ruler over my head when it comes to this new world I've found. Pocket book [money stash] look out, you're about to get swiped clean. [emptied]

I'm an artist, and I never get attached to my work. I love the most recent one for a little while, then I sell it. I don't know if I'm going to be able to do that with the dolls. Has anybody else kissed a doll and said "Welcome Home" -- maybe that's another thread. I don't know if I'm allowed to start those. For all I know, there may be one. I won't wander off on topiic of whether I can de-humanize them enough to swap them. Maybe if I think of them as foreign students just going on a trip, that way I can
      KEEP BUYING. :]

What a terrible thought when I don't even have all of the oneS I've ordered here yet. ;[

I'll think about that tomorrow. Oh, is that impulsive?

20. Oh yes! i do this constantly!!! Ill see something for Basil and will click the buy button before i even know how much it is haha~