1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Impulse Buying: The way of the bjd world X3

Sep 12, 2010

1. I have definitely been an impulse buying sort of person for most of my time in the hobby, but I've really tried to overcome that because I usually end up losing money overall, as I end up having the send the doll on to another home. I didn't use to care if I lost money, but my finances are also shakier than they were before so I have to be more considerate of all factors. One of my last BJD impulse purchases ended in a re-homing as a of late, so I still haven't learned (and sometimes you just don't know until you get the doll home) but I'm getting better.

2. This happens to me a lot with the smaller things, usually an outfit or something from the Marketplace because at the time it seems like such a good deal that I don't want to pass it by!! And if I don't buy it, it'll gnaw on corner of my mind and I won't be able to rest until I have the item >_< Lately I've been trying very hard to hold back by not looking at something for too long and asking myself, "Do I reeeaaaaaally need this right now???"

3. My first one, I thought long and hard about spending that much money. I probably would have talked myself out of it, but I was applying for an art grant and wanted to incorporate the doll in my project. I'd never permitted myself a hobby. I guess something "snapped" ^^ after the first one. During promotion times, I weigh it all out carefully before purchasing new dolls. When I'm wandering through our MP, or eBay...I think I may have multiple personalities with absolutely no concern for rational, conservative use of money for dolls. IMPULSE rules. And I've loved every one of them, though I am having to allow a few to move on to new homes. I NEVER do that on an impulse. Hah! ;)

4. Sometimes I'll buy clothes that end up looking so good when I get them home that I need to make a new doll to wear them permanently. That's sort of an impulse buy, I guess...

5. I don't do it too much- sometimes, a wig or outfit that I think are adorable will catch my eye, or a pair of shoes, but even then, I think before I click 'buy' because I hate having extra stuff around that I don't use for my dolls.

Faceups, though, on the otherhand... ohboy do I 'impulse-buy' faceups (kinda). If an artist I like has an opening, I automatically start thinking about who needs their face painted, or touched up xD

6. I can be quite impulsive sometimes. I've felt the urge when looking at a couple of great-looking dolls, but I have managed to contain myself. :) It stresses me out, however, that the doll might be some LE that will sell out soon... My first doll was not an impulse buy, though I decided on her pretty fast.

I'm more impulsive when buying wigs and clothes. Especially wigs, since there are many options and sometimes it is hard to imagine what will look good on my doll. I might buy a couple of extra wigs and see which one goes best.

7. It helps if we all keep supporting one another on the MP! Keep those dolls and money flowing so we can all get the NEXT doll we fall in love with, [or pay bills?] yikes. Thank you very much. Why is it SO MUCH harder to choose one to sell than it is to choose the next one I want? I'd have to say, though I am loathe to admit it, I'm impulsive AND compulsive. So there, I said it.

8. Have you seen a bjd(s) that took you completely by surprise where you buy him/her/them outfits even though you do not have them yet?

I try not to do this, but yes, it has happened more than I like... Right now I have outfits for the one doll on my Wish List--but I have impulsively bought several dolls, so won't be able to get her for a long while. I usually wait until I have ordered the doll first. Then the crazy buying frenzy begins. *_*

Have you seen a bjd outfit that took you by surprise so much that you just had to have it at that moment even though that outfit does not fit bjd(s) your currently own at all? And of course shoes even ones that might not or can fit your doll but there is no way your bjd would wear them?

Yes. Some outfits are just too wonderful to not buy! I love clothes, so this is important to me. I have almost bought dolls just so they could wear certain outfits... (I had other reasons to buy the dolls, but outfits and shoes are crazy-important to me.)

Or are there other items that make you click the buy button without a second thought?!:) :D:XD:

Hmmm... maybe some props? Yeah... accessories, props, furniture, houses... those sorts of things are so cool! But usually the doll will come first. I did buy a fairy house for Realpuki size... now I think about getting more dolls that are tiny, even though I have enough to play around in the house. I need to stop doing that!

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject!!!

I always thought the doll would always come first, but the longer I am into bjds, the more odd things happen! *_*

9. I just bought a modded Unoa Lusis on a MNF body that I saw on the mp... I waned a Lusis a while ago, but she hadn't been on my wishlist for a loooong time, and usually I don't even like dolls with closed\semi-closed eyes, but I saw this doll (who also has a gorgeous faceup which I only altered a teeny bit) and I knew I needed her. I was supposed to be saving up for a body for one of my floating heads! But I'm glad I got her, I love you take her out with me for adventures. ^ - ^

10. Iplehouse Dorothy. I didn't wanna buy another doll - the last one I was gonna get was gonna be LLT's Ludwig (yeah, I know, this is slowly turning into some kind of running gag ... *gg*). I did manage to justify getting the DWC 01 head from Volks (was gonna take part in the DWC contest, see? which I didn't but, oh well ...). And I managed to justify getting him a body (because, hey, CHEAP!!! GOOD DEAL!!!). What I didn't manage to justify, though - other than with a simple "WANNA!!!!" - was putting Iplehouse's Dorothy in my cart, click the "buy"-button and pay at once. Now, I hope they'll ship her soon and that I'll like her in NS because, as impulsively as I bought her, I still didn't wanna spend an extra 40 bucks on tan skin (which was shown in her promo pics that I fell in love with).

11. I don't really impulse purchase, but I do make decisions very quickly. I try to work under the logic of 'okay I want it. let's wait and buy it later after x amount of time' (size of x depends on amount the item costs of course). Then either one or two things will happen: 1. I'll forget about it or 2. I will obsess about it until I cave in. The advantage is that I very rarely regret buying it, even though I almost never last until the xth day!

I guess this doesn't help with limiteds so much, but if it's time limited you can still make yourself wait until near the end, and if the worst happens you can always sell it on later...

12. All my favorite dolls that i have now were impulse buys~ i regret nothing :3 i just impulse bought another head just a few days ago~ xD

13. Have you seen a bjd(s) that took you completely by surprise where you buy him/her/them outfits even though you do not have them yet?
      no because if I keep getting them all these expensive outfits/wigs/eyes/shoes I'll never have enough money to afford them, I do think about it often though and add those things to an Amazon wishlist for my future dolls.

Have you seen a bjd outfit that took you by surprise so much that you just had to have it at that moment even though that outfit does not fit bjd(s) your currently own at all?
      no, I have thought about it though (there are a lot of adorable YoSD DollHeart outfits that I'd love to buy).

And of course shoes even ones that might not or can fit your doll but there is no way your bjd would wear them?
      no, I only buy shoes that my girl would wear/share with her future sisters.

I think for a good long time about any and all purchases so impulse purchases (in this hobby or not) are not really something that happens to me very often.

14. All three of my dolls were impulses; very fast buys. But, they were all secondhand. I love my second and first to bits though! I don't regret them at all! And, I know that I won't regret number three either. I just haven't gotten her yet.

15. Did it again two weeks ago. Saturday afternoon, one of my doll-friends was gonna visit me. Saturday morning, she posted a note on Facebook, saying her MNF Marcia was up for sale. Well - guess who owns that doll right now? *nods* Yeah, yours truly. I'm not really into girl-dolls, but THAT one ... :D Just had to.

16. I'm not an impulsive buyer. I don't have spare cash to order a doll every time I want one. I usually have to save up the money. I see it as a good thing because by the time I have the money I either don't want that particular doll anymore or a different doll was released that I would rather have.

However, I'm going to be ordering minifee Celine on the moe body soon. She's a character that I wasn't planning to shell for a long time. I haven't even begun to look at molds for her. The character is a really petite sweet girl and Celine is just perfect. I have to get her before the Moe body is discontinued. I know that Fairyland will bring it back but I really want this doll now and don't want to wait. She's totally disrupting my doll plans and I'm okay with that.

17. My first doll was an impulse and I love him a lot .. but I haven't had him a year and I bought another who I saw and loved. Now I'm poor and he's a Loongsoul so it's gonna be a loooong time before he gets here.

18. Hah yeeaah I'm guilty too~ >w< Especially with wigs!! Leeke kills me with their limited or seasonal colours! Fancy styles, or different colourful rainbow wigs or just something cute and unusual! I'm not so bad about buying clothes and accessories, I usually think things like that though - and I have enough dolls and styles that any hastily-bought clothes should at least fit someone!
      Most of my dolls were bought semi-impulsively, but I don't love them any less for it. I was really bad when I was just starting out, cause I missed a few limited dolls that I really really wanted, and so I tried to make up for it by being sure I wouldn't miss another one. I'd like to think that now when I'm looking at a new doll, I stop, think, and rationalise things a bit more XD But every now and then I get slapped with a case of the "OMGWANTIES" XD

19. I, too, am guilty of an impulse buy. The IH Rex. He's also my first and I can't wait to get him. The new Soom, Hyperon, has me biting my lip and checking my credit, but I need to reign in that horse. :nosebleed
      (p.s. But he's sooo awesome and that outfit...*sigh*)

20. Has anyone ever been a victim of impulse buying?

I've been wanting a tiny doll for a few months now, but I couldn't decide which one I wanted. I was looking between an Iplehouse B.I.D. and a Lati yellow sp. Every time I'm on the lati website, the dolls would either be sold out or not what I was looking for. So a few days ago, I decided to get an Iplehouse B.I.D....Made the purchase with a new wig for my J.I.D. (my first and only doll). And for some unknown reason, I decided to browse the latidoll website. And out of impulse...I ordered a lati yellow sp :|...So, right now, I am waiting for not one, but two tiny dolls to come in the mail. Someone tell me that I am crazy :doh