1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Impulse Buying: The way of the bjd world X3

Sep 12, 2010

1. I think this is pretty usual - certainly something I have done, and no, I can't afford it!

2. I have sold all of what I would consider "impulse buys". That's because I never took the time to think if I really wanted one badly enough, and in the end I didn't. That said, I did just order a doll while waiting on another, so you're not alone there.

3. I admit it...I am addicted to impulse shopping. Every single one of my dolls were impulse purchases. While waiting the lonnnnng time for them to ship I made some impulse buys of secondhand dolls to fill the void.
      Strangely, I am less impulsive when it comes to their clothes. Mostly because the things I really want almost always seem to be sold out. The only time I impulsively bought clothes for a doll I had not even thought I wanted was for a tiny off topic BJD. I found I had ordered a full outfit because it was adorable and about 2 weeks later I ordered the doll.

4. Yep...last month i Impulse bought one of my grail dolls from the marketplace. He was super cheap and came with clothes and everything! (though those clothes are most likely going to his brother). It was all so perfect, so i bought him....After i kinda just sat there looking at my computer like "I am in so much trouble."

5. I tend to do that a lot as well. :'D
      of course I think about if I really want to buy something for a bit when I see it because I have to like it, especially with dolls. but yeah, totally me.
      I don't like keeping money. If I have it, I spend it. :D

6. I've made some sudden buys when wishlist things come available but there is no predicting that timing so I try to prepare in advance. I have only decided yes/no on a doll on impulse once, sometimes it is a terrible, terrible thing to have a local dealer with tempting dolls and goodies in stock because sometimes when I feel :aangel: then I think I deserve a :apresent:

7. I haven't had the binge urge/compulse buy moment over any clothing, and I'm pretty sure I will be mostly immune to that. I want to figure out my own designs, EVENTUALLY. Probably Mori girl-ish, re/DEconstruction kinda style, or fantasy. I barely have any interest in clothes for them as of yet. I seem to be in the huge minority when it comes to this. But I love to look at other people's creative expressions in this area for their dolls.

On THE OTHER HAND. If I see a good deal, and I see something pretty special in almost every doll, I have very small self-control. I am an absolute Spartan for everything else, and don't mind sacrificing other things to add to my doll aspirations. They are art to me, and I have been a dabbling professional artist for a decade now. So art and work and dolls have no clear delineation lines. For me dolls are an investment, or a contribution to the art world. Whereas, a new dryer, mwheh. That would be a simple consumable for my own use, and I can get by with the old drip dry method. Goes for a lot of things most people would consider indispensable and I'm sure I am judged as strange. But I've always been a bit borderline strange, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

8. I just impulse bought a doll off of Mandarake...I was just browsing through their inventory at 3am and they were updating all of the new items and I saw the Enchanted Doll Asa. I'd never heard of here before but she reminded me of myself a little and I figured she could be my Volks Michele's sister, plus she came with an outfit, wig, urethane eyes and a gorgeous faceup...needless to say my half-asleep self clicked the buy button before I could even reconsider:doh:sweat. This morning I received the confirmation email and am kind of panicking a little, I was planning on using the money to buy art supplies and other stuff for school. The purchase doesn't put me in the red, but it does mean I'm going to have to put off buying some of those supplies, as well as buying some other stuff I wanted. I think that this is my first real impulse buy and I kind of not really regret it. I don't think I would be able to find her again for this price and can sell some of my extra things laying around my room to buy supplies...I think I'm just unnerved because I usually think my purchases over for at least a couple of days, usually weeks and this one was done within the span of a couple of minutes.:sigh

9. I just bought LINA chouchou Petit Piyo on impulse yesterday too. I blame it on work stress...

10. lille.charlotte I've been very stressed lately too, so I think that impulse buying is probably more likely when you have stress to deal with... That would be an interesting poll, are you more likely to impulse buy when stressed?:lol:

11. I recently planned on buying two dolls when my inheritance arrived, then I saw another that was so cute and kind of limited edition so yeah I was like "three dolls is fine" and then I saw three more and was like "okay six might be pushing it" but then I kept looking at them and thought "screw this I'm getting all six".

I don't generally buy outfits for my dolls because I am happy to sew things myself, however on this note I went mad in a charity shop buying clothes with interesting fabrics for doll clothes and there was a skirt I didn't get and yeah I regret not getting it, the fabric was really pretty.

12. If I had the money I'd totally be impulse buying every Iplehouse doll ever released :P But alas, my ever so empty bank account hinders me.

13. Clothing wise, no. I had an experience buying clothes for a doll I DID have that ended up being too small, due to the Doll Family bodies having different measurements than Volks. I honestly would never buy clothes or shoes for a doll that I don't have yet. I don't want to have a bunch of different clothes laying around that might never be used because they don't fit any dolls character (they're expensive too. *_*)

However, I HAVE impulsively bought two of my three current dolls. Mei was planned a few months in advance, Julian was for sale at Otafest and I fell for his eyes, and Alex I bought because he was too cute. :sweat

14. I kind of did an impulse layaway. I saw a doll on the MP for a really great price and couldn't help but go for him--he was a doll I really wanted and the seller accepted layaways. I'm getting him in October and I couldn't be more excited! :D Thankfully, I don't have the money laying around for impulse buys. I'd be in deep trouble if I did, lol.

15. I'm gonna second the stress thing. I impulse bought a MNF last night, after having one of the most stressful weeks of my life...

16. Do I buy on impulse? Yes and no. I have a pretty long wishlist of dolls I'd like to have, and I buy almost exclusively secondhand. If one comes up for sale that I want and it's high on my priority list and the price is right then I really don't give much of a second thought to it. However, I don't really have the kind of money to just randomly buy a doll if I'm not sure about it.

17. I definitely did with both MNFs. I was only going to get one but ended up with two D: I am definitely feeling the pinch though but I would do it again, only probably had planned for it a lot better.

The tan came out a lot better than I was expecting and I already had plans for a natural Chloe so, decided to stick with it

18. I usually do quite well to not impulse buy when I'm buying a doll. It only takes me less than a day to know if I love a doll. (Sometimes more, sometimes less.) But there have been a couple that I bought on impulse, and wouldn't you know it, I rarely do anything with them. There are 3 that come to mind. One I am currently selling, the other sits on the shelf unplayed with, as does the third one. It's kind of sad, but they happened when I first got into the hobby and I didn't know all of what I was doing.

I am absolutely terrible at this with clothes, though. I can't NOT impulse buy clothes. And wigs. I am a wig fiend and even if I think the wig is a little cute I freaking get it ._. Luckily I love most of the wigs I receive. But still...I can't look at wigs because I'll just want to buy them all.

19. I've been known to impulse... But whenever I buy a doll or doll thing I sorta blank out while I'm hitting that buy button. But I tend to make decisions quickly...

Like just the other day (last friday) I sent a message about, and proceeded to pay for a second hand Dollzone Floy... I don't have the money but he was at half what he normally would cost, including shipping and extras. And I have wanted one for so long, and for some reason I just kinda flipped a little. He's in my closet now, all dressed up, while I try to convince my SO to let me get him shoes and commission a jacket for him to finish his character. But he's dressed at the very least.

I'm so bad though, I have a lot of impulse dollies. I find one I like, I have a fresh paycheck that I haven't had the time to stash away.... They tend to come home. Thankfully, I'm pretty content now. Something about this new guy has calmed something in me.

20. I impulse buy all of the time.. I have to stop looking at clothes and things like that until I am buying a doll and need to get it clothes. I did that just the other day, I am waiting on my Littlefee Ante and needed to get her clothes so I went to buy her a dress and shoes... Then I had went to MintOnCard and found the cutest outfit, and I got to thinking that seance it was a pre-order that it could be for my Luna when I get her around X-Mass.... Then I went to buy a wig on MintOnCard, then went on Etsy and I saw a wig I just had to have on there. So I have clothes and a wig for my Luna I haven't even ordered yet.... I still need to get shoes too lol. XD