1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Impulse Buying: The way of the bjd world X3

Sep 12, 2010

1. Sometimes I come across small things when I'm browsing eBay or the Marketplace... outfits, wigs, eyes or props... that I think would suit one of the crew, and those I'll buy without a lot of planning or hesitation, but I'm just not so impulsive when it comes more expensive items, like the dolls themselves. Even though I have a very large collection at this point, I can pretty much count on one hand the number of times I've impulse-bought a potential member of my crew.

That said, the few "impulse dolls" that I have purchased almost all worked out. The only one I can think of off-hand who didn't was an Angell Studio Gabriel, and I sold her on almost immediately after she arrived from the company.

I think that if you can keep a good handle on your finances over-all *and* you have a very good sense of what "works" for you and your collection and what doesn't, buying on impulse isn't necessarily a Bad Thing. Sometimes you have to move fast to get a rare or limited item, or to take advantage of a good deal... Just don't over-do it.

2. Of course I impulse buy!
      Let's seeing, looking at my shelf, how many of them were impulse buys? 5/7 xD
      However, I still took time to think to myself, "Do I REALLY like/want this doll?"

On the other hand, some of my previous impulse buys I ended up selling. :/
      Even right now, there is a doll who I am about to impulse buy.. I had no plans to buy her originally, she's never even been on my wishlist, but the deal is too good to pass up. And I'm just trying to decide, Will I really be happy with her? Or am I just getting her because she's a good deal?

3. Ohh yess, I'm guilty, I'm really an impulse buyer actually, mostly when I'm looking at Fairyland dolls :sweat...

4. My Katie (Island Amy) was an impulse buy. Was originally going to get a IMPLDoll Model body, then saw Katie at the same price as the body. With only a little push, she was paid for within half an hour. I adore her, and don't regret it at all :D

5. I'm very much an impulse buyer! HOWEVER I am slowly breaking this habit by convincing myself that I will look at it again in X amount of time and decide if I still want it as badly.

Turns out I do really want one! Haha. Just waiting for my 25 days to be over so I can head to the market place to look around and see whats out there!

6. I just did this. I impulse bought a doll from mp today (even tho i already put in an order with luts ><) for similar reasons. I always admired this particular doll but the thought of actually owning it never occurred to me until now!

7. Just a few hours ago, I was very tempted to buy a doll that I saw in passing. It wasn't my grail doll, and it wasn't on my wishlist either. I had no reason to buy it other than the fact that it was pretty and I had just barely enough money for it. I'm wondering if anyone else ever gets the sudden urge to buy one for no reason other than it's pretty. Did you actually do it? Did you regret it?

8. Ive done this many times , sometimes I have regretted my purchases and sometimes not. It is a dangerous game which I think can happen alot in this hobby. Its also fun though even if it hurts the bank account :).

9. I know this feeling well! I don't often get it for dolls because they're expensive, but I do get it for clothes and accessories. I have a lot of impulse bought clothes.

10. I completely agree MissKittyTwisted! :)

Very dangerous for the bank account! I find that if I see a doll that I like I will usually find more photos and pretty soon be desperate to purchase it even though I probably didn't even know the doll existed 5 minutes ago :lol: I have vey rarely regretted impulse purchases this way but it definitely does happen.

11. It's funny this question was posted, because I was literally going to ask the exact same question! I do that all the time, I have a wishlist of what dolls I want, and then I have the impulse, for example, I went on the ringdoll website, and for no other reason than I wanted it, I wanted the warren doll and the jack the ripper doll. I was sitting here trying to figure out how I was going to beable to swing it, with my first doll being on layaway, it was impossible, and i'm sad to see them go, but it's funny because whenever I see something new and exciting, or even intriguing in the least bit, i'm looking at it and i'm like, I want that. no questions asked. lol my bank account usually tells me to calm the heck down when i'm situations like this, though! Barely! I'd hate to be a millionare, because i'd impulse buy on every little thing i've laid my eyes on.. which would really suck.. lol I wonder if there's anyway to actually stop the impulse? It's defiently hard, and i've fallen into a few things myself, buying it, and then really regretting it later.. but then when I go to sell it.. I can't part with it .. lol I know that seems weird but that's usually how it happens, does anybody else buy it on impulse, like it, but its not amazing.. then still not willing to part with it after you got it ?

12. Fox, my DZ Mo B SD was definitely an impulse buy. There I was casually browsing the in stock items of my local dealer and suddenly I had a new floating head sat on my desk. The same thing happened when I was on Junkyspot and now an Obitsu Gretel is on her way to my house. I suspect looking at something for too long causes it to mysteriously appear in front of me.

13. 8blkpaws the Ringdoll guys are available until Spring so you may be able to get them. I love Jack, he is an awesome sculpt - and those clothes!
      I rarely impulse buy as I angst over everything. I impulse fall in love with sculpts then I wait until the last moment and decide that I can live without them ;) I have bought and regretted it though, and sold on a few dolls for that reason - so even when you plan it doesn't necessarily mean you won't still regret it.

14. Yes, everytime a new month begins and I have a bank account full of money I am very tempted to buy a whole lot of stuff on a heartbeat. I have a few impulse buy dolls sitting around and I love them all. No regrets here :)

15. I believe a lot of us are subject to that. I mean, I just ordered a doll 1 hour ago because the preoder was closing.
      I think limited orders plays a great deal in the fact we get the impulse to buy NOW.

16. Just done it for the first time. ^^'
      Feels kinda strange a frew days later, but I have to wait till she arrives, so I know if it was a stupid idea or not.
      I think sometimes impulse buying can turn out to be the best thing you ever did, instead of thinking things over and over and probably miss out on something. ;)
      (At least thats a problem with me xD...I think it over too long and regret it later not to got the deal)

17. :)l do this a lot lol l like buying stuff for my girls.

18. I try not to make impulse buys with dolls, but it happens sometimes. :lol: Thankfully most of the time things work out for the best.

19. My Peroth was the only impulse buy I ever did. When I saw his pictures I knew I just HAD to have him, so I bought him and I have never regretted it since.

Sometimes you just know when you're dealing with the 'right' doll. :)

20. I impulse bought a doll and as she hasn't arrived yet I'm not sure if I will regret buying her. I hope not.