1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Impulse Buying: The way of the bjd world X3

Sep 12, 2010

1. It happens to all of us. I bought a pukipuki Piki last year for the heck of it. I'm trying to sell it now, and I didn't have a character, or diorama planned for it. It's super cute, but I could've totally spent that money on doll clothes :(

2. I don't buy full dolls on impulse very often because of the price, but I have done it a couple of times and it worked out pretty well... I've ended up with a few Floating Heads that way, too.

The one thing that I *do* find myself buying impulsively fairly often, though, are eyes. I am an absolute eyeball FIEND. I have dozens of spare pairs at this point, bought just because I thought they were pretty and "I might use that color someday". It's ridiculous. :lol:

3. I did several impulse purchases this month, one not as bad as the others but I still did it. I don't feel like I will regret any of them, one has the potential to be a regret purchase but if that happens I will just have to put that dollie up on the market one day. My views are... regret your purchase? There may be someone wishing to purchase your impulse buy off of you and maybe... just maybe you are the middle man for someone getting something they really want ~

4. I bought a doll on impulse earlier this year (was on sale), ended up selling her. Sculpt was all wrong for the character I thought she would fit especially in profile and then her head seemed way too big to fit in with what would be her brother. Also wasn't a fan of the body...

I learned that I need to really think about a doll beforehand even if it's "ON SALE!!!!"

5. I have had the urge many, MANY times. The only time I didn't stop myself was for a floating head at a doll show. I thought she was cute and figured I'd get a body for her one day, but now I can't figure out why I got her. She wasn't on my wish list, and at the time I hadn't even heard of the sculpt before. I only paid $35 for her, so I have been using her for face-up practice, but I wish I'd spent that money on a wig or some eyes instead.

6. Yes I made the mistake of getting caught up in a buy one get one free sale.. & I was not 100% into them. So I try to make sure the doll(s) are something I really want, but I've had to fight temptation many times. :sweat

However recently I've been sick to my stomach over the Lottery that was put on the Volks Inc site for fans outside of Japan. There were so many dolls, & the SDG & YOSD that I wanted and could have had if I just bought dolls and did not pay any of my bills. However being foolish does not sit well with me.

I think it was beyond cool that they listed the lottery for fans that would never have a chance at visiting their Dolpas over in Japan.. but a little advance warning would have been nice :(

Which brings me back to the idea that I really need to have a Dolly fund !! :daisy

7. That lottery freaked me out too. I ended up entering for Melty, Asuna, Chloe, and an outfit. I don't think I know what I'd do if I won all of them. But as it turns out, the chance of winning was really very low. I didn't win any of them, and not too many people over at the DD forum won either.

As for impulse buying dolls; I was really bad about that for a while. I'm definitely better now, though. I really look at the sculpt and decide if I really truly feel like I need it in my collection. Some are just instant have to have though because I've been wanting it forever.

I came across two iMda 3.0 Gian's, and I think I bought those dolls within 5 minutes of her posting the thread, lol. I've got them home now, and I don't regret them at all. I have a special love for iMda dolls, and I've already got exciting things planned for those two.

But it doesn't always work out. Limiteds and the threat of discontinuation lights a fire under my bum, though. I just really hate feeling regret, and I'd rather get a doll, so I have it, and then if I doesn't end up working for me, I sell it, then not ever have it at all and always wonder if it would have worked out.

8. At my age there have been a lot of impulses over the years. It seems to be more regrets over impulses I couldn't or didn't buy, than for the ones I gave in on. This has carried right over to the BJD's. None of the dolls I have are NOT impulsive buys and I love them all.

9. I think as collectors in general, everyone has once or twice had an impulse buy. Especially when you attend doll conventions and everyone there is just like you and you get caught up in the moment. I have had many impulse buys, but have been getting much better. The way I look at it is this:

If I see a doll, and then continuously think about it, that's a definite buy.

If I see a doll, like it, but have to ask myself, do I really want it, or need it...that's a sign for me not to purchase it.

When I see a doll and instantly fall in love, that's also a quick and definite buy.

I try to live by these rules and have found it works for me. I hope my information can help other collectors out.

10. Just did this, in fact. Bought a Ryoma Sakamoto head over at Mandarake for a price that could have bought me a full doll. He's here right now - arrived yesterday - and once I've wrapped my mind around the fact that I'm now actually owning a Volks Limited head (and one of the really expensive ones), I'll let you know whether I regret getting him or not. *gg*

Most likely answer: No, I don't think I'll regret it since I really, really like the sculpt and though I had no plans whatsoever of even trying to get him, he is something like a grail doll for me.

11. I've done it before, but only after fitting it into the story, which barely takes a couple hours for me LOL! I never regretted it, I'm actually much more excited about those dolls rather than the ones I put in my wishlist and they sit there till I decide to buy them >_< Because the "omg new dolly in the plans" excitement dies out the longer they wait in the wishlist...

12. Hmm...

I do impulse by a lot, sometimes the dolls arent on my wishlist but they fit into my story somehow. ^.^

13. My first BJD in over 2 years was an impulse buy. I saw her on Ebay & fell in love. I almost never buy impulse dolls anymore because it got me into financial troubles. Now I'm very particular about what dolls I buy. They may be dolls I just saw then did some research on them before I buy.

14. I try not to impulse buy...

But buying because something is pretty is as good a reason as any, I think! I buy all my dolls because I like how they look!!! :thumbup

Not everyone is planning on certain characters or whatever!!!!

BUT... Impulse buying is not usually a good thing. No matter what your reasons for buying a doll, it's best to really think hard and long about it. Even if you have unlimited funds. Casual, careless buying is not a good thing. It's OK for people selling the dolls, but for the buyer, they are just buying on a whim and it's likely the whim will change and then they have lots of stuff sitting about that they don't care about. Sure they can sell them, but people following whims maybe don't have the desire to put in that sort of energy, since they didn't when it came to buying the dolls (or whatever it is) in the first place. It sort of borders on compulsive shopping/buying problems.

On the other hand... impulse buying might just be how some people go about buying stuff, and it's basically their choice. They are free to do so if they wish, and that's great!

I wish to be impulsive, but I know I shouldn't do that, so I try and reign that in a little. It doesn't always work, but I try! (because it is NOT a good thing for me!)

15. I have a bad tendency to want things more when they are limited. I have basic dolls I have put off for years simply because limited ones keep coming along that I like, so I end up buying them instead of dolls that have been on my wishlist for a long time.

Even when limiteds I like do come along, I usually wait until the end of the ordering period to make sure I really do want them and it is not going to be a purchase I regret.

I did rather impulsively buy a Maska Ghost Knight recently... I really wanted and Elf Maska girl originally, but I am over run with girls, and I was afraid of missing out on getting the sculpt. I hope I end up being able to bond with him when he gets here. He really is the closest thing to an impulse buy I have done.

16. Tonboko is right... I have a tendency also to want things when they're limited case that just happened to me months ago and I don't regret a single thing <3 I love him to bits!

17. Yep, I have definitely gotten a doll or two on impulse. I have to admit that it has messed with my over all "collection" plans. I wanted to keep a small collection of maybe 6 because I like the bigger dolls and max at 8. But I'm already at 8 and I still don't have some wishlist dolls that I wanted to collect. But otherwise I don't see anything wrong with buying a doll just because it's pretty, we are doll collectors and have different criteria for what defines our collection or motivates us to buy.

18. I do get this feeling every now and then, very rarely for dolls but pretty often for their clothes
      it usually passes though since I stop myself from actually buying the item(s)

however, if I felt the impulse to buy an item, stopped myself from buying it and several weeks/months later still find myself looking at it I'll usually go ahead an get it since I've given myself the time to really think about it

19. I sort of adopted DOD Homme Ivan from someone on impulse because I have always loved DOD... And I don't regret it because I'm in love with him. Hahaha~ However, I nearly bought another doll on impulse because I was just... "GJHSIUG LOOK AT HIS WIIIIINGS!!!" He is a BBB/RS dragon boy and I love him but I stopped myself because I'm hoping Doll Chateau will have an event sometime soon (and hopefully offer a wonderful ADA as I missed the other one and is upset)... Doll Chateau is one of my favorite companies so I was about to stop myself... Though I'm not sure what will happen once I actually get a DC doll. >_<;;; (there goes my wallet)

20. I do this with doll sized patterns. Even though I don't sew that well. I don't have the finances to be impulsive about much else. Although I got my DIM Alana a bit impulsively when I saw the Honey (mature tiny) line was selling out. I already knew I wanted her and was given a reason to pounce.