1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Impulse Puchases: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Oct 27, 2010

1. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      It was a doll I felt more or less guilt tripped into buying. It was my own decision, but it was a bad one because of the reasons. Although I loved seeing pictures of the mold, I just didn't felt much for owning one myself. After two years of feeling bad about not knowing what to do with this doll, I sold him and got another one instead. I play with the new doll a lot, so it turned out well in the end.

What did you learn from this experience?
      Don't lose your head and only buy dolls you really want.

What was your best impulse buy decision and why?
      I've had more good impulse buys than bad ones, but my latest good one is an ANother Secret Orchid. I didn't really want another floating head or another SD sized doll, but I thought I couldn't make much of a mistake for $75, so I bought her. ANother Secret stopped selling her the day after due to being overwhelmed by orders. It makes me feel extra lucky I bought her. I love the face and I feel so much inspiration for her.

Buy dolls that inspire you. It wouldn't be the first time I jumped upon a doll on impulse only to have it discontinued without any warning a little while later.

What would you say to someone on the verge of an impulse purchase?
      Only buy dolls when you can afford them. If you're not certain about a purchase, having to scrape by and worry over finances isn't going to make you feel better about it. Have fun spending your fun money, but keep in mind you can only spend money once.

Things I learned to keep me from impulse buys:
      -Don't make mock orders to see what shipping will be if you actually have the money to pay for the doll. It ends with pressing "order" and "pay".
      -Take your migraine medication. I've ordered two dolls on impulse during migraine attacks. Anyone who has migraines may feel familiar with how desperate one can get due to the pain and my migraines usually don't affect my vision. I will be able to find that "pay" button. (And no, impulse buys don't reduce pain, but they do make me feel happy.)
      -Don't make big plans about what to buy next or mull over choosing between two dolls for too long. Once I was stuck between buying two tinies for weeks and then suddenly bought the Soom MD Cyborg Sabik (= 80 cm doll), because I just couldn't choose.

2. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

I had come home from a particularily crappy day - actually, I happened to be recovering from a breakdown at the time. I was browsing the Luts site like usual, staring starry-eyed at Senior Delf Dahlia. I had always intended her to be my first doll, but had only saved up about halfway.
      I then made the mistake of checking out the Zuzu Delfs, and thought the zuzu chu witch was just the cutest! And there, in that moment of indecision and possibly trying to find a positive way to end a very bad day, I typed out my info and hit confirm.
      When I woke up the next morning aside from being a bit hungover -turns out apple cider ALSO helps dull the pain of an awful day- I felt absolutely terrible that I had used the money that was to be for my first 60cm on that kitty, just because she was limited and within my price range. I had to lie to Luts (I still feel lower than dirt) to get my $350 back so I could again set my sights on Dahlia.
      Good news - she's ordered and ready to come home!

Never shop when upset. Period.

NEVER contemplate buying ANYTHING after a particularily bad day, week, or month. If you have your sights set on your dream doll and want her/him more than anything, don't spend your money on a doll that's cheaper, or limited, or just 'alright'. Go all the way or go home! xD

3. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      Ah, this would be the tragic case of my Soom Heliot. I was saving for a second hand Sard and saw Heliot, decided he was pretty and had hooves and that was enough for me. WRONG. He got here and I was unimpressed from the start. I tried desperately to give him a name, character etc but here was nothing about him I liked because he wasn't Sard. Needless to say after a few months I sold him on.
      Be absolutely sure before you buy. Don't divert from your original plans just because something is in front of you that iis shiny; dolls you really want cannot be substituted.

The Soom Chrom FL head I got in an impulsive split over a year back. I didn't get him a body for an age and now I have finally decided to finish him! Thankfully it means I don't have to shell out for a head xD

Sometimes your gut instinct is right on the money, I knew that Chrom was for me, I just wish I'd had the cash to get his paws at the time too.

Step back and think about it. Do you need this doll? Is there a doll you want more or that you've been saving for? Give it a day or two.

> For those of you who have never bought an item on impulse:

What do you think of impulse purchases?

For those who have the cash, purchase away!

What keeps you from making them?

The bad experience of Heliot and the hassle of selling on the second hand market all put me off from getting a doll I could potentially not want.

4. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      Probably on the marketplace, I was uneducated on the items value and I spoke to the user saying I'd be able to handle the purchase, which was about $500 over the amount that others were selling for, I ended up backing out of the purchase because I realized what I did

Never get too excited about an item and really research the market and retail value of the item..

Two dolls I got from LeDolls, AoD Chi and AoD Yo, I was worried the entire time they were on their way that I would hate them, and at first I didn't like them, after a few hours though I loved them

That sometimes worrying can really effect how you view the item when it gets home.

Do what you think is right (I mean, if you don't like it there's always the marketplace)

5. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

M
      y first BJD Shana Dkdoll Rena.. I was looking for an elf only because I love elf in general but since I got her I understood she 's not for me, I like her for what she looks.. like her ears.. but she has no Background for me, no story to tell me.. and I like bjds also for their magical power to tell tales, stories and give 'em a face.. I want a bjd who means this to me.. look at her/his face and "reading" a story.. as I have a real character, a real little person in front of me! Actually, after some changes of style of my Shana, I'm thinking to sell her simply because she can't offer to me what I need from Bjd and what I like.

I've learnt I should be quiet when I see a bjd surfing the web and decide to buy her/him..trying to find with her physical appereance , a sort of inner connection and trying to understand what she can really give to me beyond her nice look.

I usually still have impulse to buy someone.. but then I go back in myself XD and try to understand why I want her or him! If I find the right reason and I still want her, I add the bjd in question to my wish list and to my future purchases :)

Nothing.. I think everyone has his personal point of view and method in choising a bjd..

6. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

I did a trade on impulse for a WS Domuya Faith. The doll was just stunning and i loved her but she did not end up fitting the character. I eventually traded her for one of my dream girls, a Dollmore LE white Butterfly Lillis Liv

Domuya dolls are not for me, the risk does not always pan out but in the end things generally work well for me, I can always onsell, though onselling may produce a loss

A Jungatoys skull head. He has become my Baron Samedei and I just LOVE him

Sometimes the risk is worth it

Pause, take a breath, if you absolutely cannot live without it go for it (provided you can afford it) if you can wait a day or so, if it sells by then it was not meant to be

7. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      My first doll. I had really only bought him because he was relatively cheap and because I really wanted a doll.
      When I got him and stared more at his pictures I realized he was.. ugly (in my opinion). I hated his mold, I hated his body, I hated how small he was. I ended up selling him a year or so after getting him. I really tried to like him >_>

Never, ever buy because it's a good deal. UNLESS you also like the dolls actual sculpt. If you can find a doll you love at a low price that's great, but never buy just based on price. @@;;

My boy Cream. ^^ I decided to buy him because I had the money and wanted to get in the hobby again. Plus I kept going back to the selling thread and staring at his adorable face. I knew since he was a popular sculpt he wouldn't last much longer on the marketplace so I bought him. XD I love him to bits and don't regret him in the least bit. <3

Go with your gut! xD If you're sure you like the doll and are worried about how much longer it'll be available (marketplace or limited) go for it!

Do you really, really like this doll? If you aren't completely in love with it then I'd say back off.

8. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      My second doll, AoD Gu. I bought him while waiting for my first doll, after a month i had him, i was kinda regret it. I wished i was patient for little bit and buying Luts KDF Cherry instead. I kept him, used the head for face up experiment/mods, and then i bought a Luts head from MP.
      In the end I'm glad i didn't rush to sell him, since i could use his body for new head and his head for practice.

Be Patient... wait for a day or two..or a week to see if you still have the urge to buy or not.

Buying Luts KDF Cherry from MP! Got him for a good price too. That time i was watching him on the MP for couple days, he wasn't sold yet...that was when i knew i must have him! Well..i've been in love with Cherry for 3 years, just never got a chance to buy him before.

Sometimes just go with your guts feeling.

Thinking ahead first... which ones are more important...
      Don't buy if the next day you have to borrow money for daily expenses.

9. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      I think Edissen and Morghan both count for this, although Morghan may have actually been slightly worse. Ed is a Lati Red K, and I've been in love with the Lati Red boys since I first joined the hobby. I had just- literally just- gotten MP access here on DoA, and I spotted him for about $100 less than the company sold him for, including shipping. (At that time, Lati Reds cost about $520-$530.) So I grabbed him. The problem was, I hadn't even gotten my first doll yet. I'd ordered Maika, (a bobobie An) and had been waiting for him for about a month and a half. I was so eager to get my hands on a bjd that I'd gone and purchased Ed before I did any real research, and the result was a terrible shock. It took me almost a year to bond completely with him and get a personality sorted out. Morghan was worse because I woke up one day and thought "I need to have an Unoa L-Bi." I started trolling the marketplace and happened to come across an unoa boy body on ebay for about $350. It was such a good deal I jumped on it pretty much immediately. Then I got his faceplate for like $90 in the MP and he's been around ever since. I just have never actually gotten a personality that I like figured out for him, and he's gone through more wigs then all my other dolls put together. I can't seem to find the right look for him, but I won't sell him because I'm attached anyway. I've had a couple floating head impulse buys as well. Those usually end up getting sold later.

Impulse buys are really dangerous for me- I tend to fall in love with whatever comes into the house- even when it's not on my wishlist, and is costing me money I could otherwise be spending on a doll that is.

Definitely Cass. It was the first time I'd ordered directly from a company, and I'd wanted Cass for so so so so long- he's a DM Adam Maunier and it's like he was totally made for me. I was going through a really bad time, and I just thought, I'm going to go do it. I'm going to buy Cass now. And it was completely worth it. My incoming tan Re-Che was another impulse buy, but I'd watched him hanging out on the MP for weeks. He was an excellent price as well, and I just knew it was the right time to get him. The last time I'd seen one sell on DoA, it came and went in 24 hours, and he sold for a whopping $1000+ too.

Sometimes, you just know when it's the right time to get something you really want.

Really weigh the pros and cons, right before you click buy, assess your feelings. If you're feeling nervous, or wondering if you're about to make a huge mistake, don't do it. With all my impulse buys, I felt great hitting the buy button. It was after that I had some regrets, and those eventually went away. I have come very close to buying on impulse on other occasions though, and what stopped me has always been the feeling of uncertainty about the doll.

10. first of all, good topic!

What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc):
      my worst impluse decision was a LUTS Ido head that i found on the marketplace for cheap. when he arrived he was massive compared to my MSD and he had no body so i gave him a face-up (it was really bad XD) and sent him on his way, where he owner hopped until i lost track of him.

i THOUGHT that i learned that SD's are not for me but that took buying my dream doll, a dollshe saint, to learn that the size was not right for me. i learned not to trust company photos...

my two Dollmore Kid MOMO's!!! they were purchased at different time and are different resin colors but i love them dearly even though i bought them spur of the moment.

that dollmore kid boys have a really big place in my doll plans and that it's possible for me to own more than 1 of a particular head mold.

if it's not going to send you into debt, or make you late with your bills, go ahead. you only live once and you might as well have fun while you're at it!!!

11. I like this topic. :>

What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

Cross between buying a doll head that had been on my wishlist for a while, and clothes (alright, nothing too bad, but still... I try very very hard to resist my impulses! ><) Mostly the things I bought on impulse were from the marketplace by the way... (God, that place will be the death of me...) I really wasn't planning on buying anything at all, especially not a head, but there it was... it was calling to me. Really. ;-;

I know photos make the item look so much better than it actually is, but apparently I don't know this fact well enough. Also that words like "LIMITED EDITION" don't mean anything to me!!

I really don't know if it was a good decision to buy the head still, because I don't have the monies to get a body and other stuff for it, either. =_= But I had wanted it for a while--it was love at first sight so I guess I'm kinda glad I have it... Another outfit set I randomly bought second hand turned out nice too--because the company no longer produced it.

I agree 100% with what Armony said. Don't buy when upset. (Or bored, for that matter. :|)

... DO IT!!!!! But you'll probably regret it later. So don't do it. :'D

12. What was your best impulse buy decision and why?
      My first doll Letty was kind of an impulse buy.... I had my heart set on another mold. Then this new mold came out and I ended up buying it instead the very day it came out. I still have her and I adore her. I think she's so beautiful and sweet.

My ability to instantly find dolls I love seems to be great. My second doll, Avery, was sort of an impulse buy too! That was a different situation though, I saw her on the MP and though she was beautiful. I thought about it for a few days and gathered the money then got her. She's absolutely gorgeous and was such a good deal. I'm very pleased with her.

That depends... If you have a lot of criteria for what kind of doll will fit in with your group, you should really think about it first. If you think you're going to regret it later, don't do it. If you think it costs too much, don't do it.
      But.. if the stars align and you see the perfect doll for the right price, don't hesitate and loose your chance to have them!

13. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      Out of my three dolls only one was an inpulse buy...well sort of. My BBB Espree was on Ebay and her price was just soooo inexpensive with free shipping plus two wigs, two sets of eyes and two outfits! I couldn't say no! But I had convinced myself that I wouldn't buy her even though I checked on her everyday for the week that she was up and kept a close eye on the bids for her. Literally in the last five minutes I put in my highest bid and TADA I won her. As soon as I set eyes on her when she came to my house I knew I had made the right decision. I love her so much and couldn't imagine not having her as part of my doll family.

In my case I had a bit of time to really decide even though I had told myself no but in any case my advice would be this:
      If you are in a situation where you have to decide quickly if you want a doll or not close your eyes and breath for a few minutes and don't even look at the doll in that time. Concentrate on the doll without looking at it (because we all know pretty is sooo distracting!) and really think "Do I have to have this doll, and what am I giving up in order to make it mine."

Other then my Espree I bought an expensive pair of MSD boots on Ebay for her and right after I clicked the 'commit to buy' button my stomach turned. I knew I had probably spent too much on those darn shoes but as soon as I got them and put them on her it was all forgotten. They are perfect for her and my dolls deserve to be spoiled sometimes :)

Impulse buying is probably not a good idea, but since I have had nothing but good experience in doing it I am now afraid that I will buy something really really expensive and then wonder how I am going to eat for the next month >.>

Really think about what you would have to give up in order to get what you want. If it's worth it go for it, you might miss an opportunity of a lifetime, or a better deal might come your way when you least expect it!

Things I learned to keep me from impulse buys:
      "Do I have to have it and what am I giving up to make it mine"

14. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

Well I really loved the Tinybear dolls and I got one on a whim. I really loved how she looked but she didn't pose and ended up just sitting on the shelf. I also bought a Puki Puki Rose and she was great for posing, but something else just didn't click. Both have moved to other homes where they were appreciated. I've had several other impulse buys that have since been sold as well.

I've curbed my impulsive tendencies, I take more time deciding which dolls I want. If it is in the MP, I try to go back to the post several times, I look for more info if there is any, and ultimately weigh the money side of it.

My Pippitan. If I hadn't bought her when I did, I don't think I would've found another one, ever. I found her second-hand, but the pippilongc site went down not long after and they seem to have since disappeared. I really adore her, she's one of my favorite BJD.

Sometimes you get lucky and the dolls want to stay ;)

If they want to make an impulse purchase, who am I to say yes or no? :lol:
      It should be noted though that even planned dolls can end up going south, too. I've had both planned and unplanned purchases move on to other homes. So, I can't say an impulse is all bad and as such advise against it.

15. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      DIM MnM body. I'd had a MnM head floating around and creeping me out since March and finally decided I was sick of it and went to the site and bought a body. It arrived and I was horrified by it. It was so.. scrawny. Then I put the head on and it looked totally bobblehead, so I took the head off, packed the body in a box, and called my friend to b*tch about it. Luckily for me, said friend had been thinking about buying that very body, so bought it from me on the spot and I recouped my money. A couple weeks later, again fed up with Floaty Head, I put an ad on the MP and five minutes later, had an offer for a body that is just absolutely perfect. (Thanks again, Maitalia!!) Now I can finish outfitting Mini!Mal.

I really hate floating heads. They need to have bodies and I utterly suck at figuring out which body/resin will match, so from now on I'm going to just buy whole dolls :P

FL P2 Cupid3 :) I'd been eyeing them on the FL site and DDE and debating whether or not I really wanted one. Then one popped up on the MP and I bought him. He's thus far been the most amusingly "vocal" doll in my head, and the one I've spent the most outfitting - new outfit, new eyes, new wig, a temp outfit for when he arrives and a temp wig, shoes, and then he needed a house.. and things to go IN the house.. and.. heh. I'm having fun with it, and it's been a crappy year thus far, so things that make me happy are not to be spurned.

If I've been talking myself out of "impulse buying" it for over a week, then I really want it and should just do it.

Can you afford it right now? If it's a choice between resin and groceries/petrol to get to work, don't do it.
      If no, will it still be there when you CAN afford it? If yes, hold off at least 24 hours. Or as long as you can.
      Otherwise, if you can afford it and it makes you happy, I say go for it.

16. This is a great question! Good to know that there are others surfing in the late hours when things look good that in the morning - not so much!

Worst Impulse buy and what happened: Elfdoll Sibara and Planet Doll Tan Roseanne. I am going to sell both for different reasons.

What I learned from this experience: To really check out owner pics and to wait until morning!!!

Best impulse buy and why: Soulkid Tiffee, because I'd always thought she was cute, and when DDE had this especially adorable one, I didn't hesitate, and she is my best beloved MSD.

What I learned from this experience: If I keep coming back and back to a certain sculpt, and really checking out owner pics, and still like the doll, I will probably, in that weak moment, go for it!

What would I say to someone on the verge: Take the time and check out every owner photo you can find and then - WAIT UNTIL MORNING! It will still be there if it is meant to be!

17. I've only ever made one impulse buy. It was a YoSD I'd had near the bottom of my wish list. I did take a few days to think about it, but I usually take weeks to decide, so for me it was impulsive.

My Volks YoSD White Rabbit because he's super sweet and lovable and just a I'd hoped he would be.

Buying dolls when you know you love the sculpt sometimes makes you happier than buying in order of characters in a story.

Sleep on it or already be familiar with the sculpt.

18. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      When I bought a Soom Sphaler right from Soom. I had this perfect vision of who I wanted him to be, but by the time he finally got home that vision had sort of...died. I just didn't feel it as much. Also, Soom had painted his lips super dark and I hated it. :( I ended up selling his head, body, and dragon feet all separate on the MP here. (in that order too) I kept his dragon hands, which became a key part of a future doll's character, and I kept the fullset oufit, which became my Heliot's wedding attire. So it was not a total loss! :D

Well, that sometimes impulse buys don't work out, and dreams don't always come true? xDD I don't know..maybe to question that initial surge of WANT and see how valid it is?

My first impulse buy was my best decision!! I had just ordered my first doll and fell for a cutie on the MP and bought him. The impulse buy came home first and ended up being my most beloved doll. Two years later and I still love him bestl! :aheartbea

That sometimes you do have to trust your gut feelings. And for me personally, impulse buys that start with 'Awww, he really needs a home' end better than 'Ooh, he's so cool'. :lol:

Sleep on it. If it's a limited doll, wait until the end of the order period to be sure. Soom dolls always catch me at first with that rush of new and cool, but after a few weeks it calms enough that I realize I don't need another. ;) Also, make sure you have the money!! I overspent once buying a doll on impulse and had to pay overdraft fees. It was horrible! :doh I've learned to manage my money much better now and keep the layaways to no more than two at a time!

19. What do you think of impulse purchases?

BJD impulse perchases are much worse than, say, itunes impulse buys. With itunes, you can be out as little as $.99, or even $40 dollars... but BJDs are even more than 10 times that amount. The damage they do is so much more than a little dent in your bank account. Impulse buys of dolls - rather than clothes and accessories - can really do some damage to your savings and credit card.

What keeps you from making them?

My parents.

I have no job, no income, so all my money comes from them. It can be a bit of a downer, sure, but I have an impulsive attitude; I like to spend - a lot. If I get into a hobby, or something, I go big. So, there have been tons of dolls I'd like to buy one day... but I can't, because I have no credit or debit card. And if I decided to treat BJD buying like I did for stuff like iTunes... you have no idea how angry my parents would be. For me, it's really common sense.

Don't want to make your parents kill you, and make you go to work to pay them back? Don't be stupid.

Think about it - for a while. Why exactly do you want this doll? Have you ever dealt with the company before? Do you know how well they pose, or how easy they are to restring? Did you do any research?

20. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      A year ago I bought a Nanuri07 head on a whim, which was fine, but then decided that I had to get a body. Since I didn't have the funds at the time to get a Luts body, I went for an Fdoll one that I found for super cheap on the marketplace. When I got the body home, it was a HORRIBLE match for my Nanuri head. It bothered me so much that I eventually had to put the head away. I plan on selling the body, since it matches none of my dolls and just annoys me.

Be rational about things, and be PATIENT. I knew that I wanted a Luts body but also knew that it would take forever to actually buy it. Instead of getting a body that worked, I got something that was a complete waste of money and made me eventually resent the head.

My CP Luwen was somewhat of an impulse buy, as I had originally planned on getting a Lishe, but changed my mind at the last minute. Had I bought the Lishe instead, I think I would have just wanted another boy doll. But after having my Luwen for a while, I am certainly ready for a girl. I think it worked out in the end better than had I gone with what I originally planned.

Honestly, after so many disappointing impulse buys and trying so hard to make them work in my family when they don't, I've become much more careful. I still do have impulsive moments, but I take more time to think over whether or not this is something I really *need* in my doll family. Making a wishlist and sticking to it is probably the best way to avoid surprise purchases, which is how I've avoided many impulse wants.

Slow down, sleep on it, and think about it. Sometimes impulse works, but a lot of the times it isn't necessary. Carefully think about whether or not this is something you really need, and imagine what you could do with the money instead of buying it on whatever impulse purchase you're being drawn to.