1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Impulse Puchases: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Oct 27, 2010

1. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end?
      I don't really have any that I regret to an extreme degree, but I suppose some have worked out better than others. I suppose in my case it would be more of an impulse trade that I regret. I decided to trade a head for a tiny, even though I'd never owned anything smaller than MSD size at the time. I didn't really know much about them--just thought the concept was cool. In the end, I realized I just didn't know what to do with something so small and sold it.

What did you learn from this experience?
      A) that I'm really much more into larger dolls and B) that I should only make trades for things I know I want. What I've learned from normal impulse buying is that I should give myself a reasonable amount of time to think it over before I hit the "add to cart" button.

What was your best impulse buy decision and why?
      Probably my Christmas Kit Olivine last year. The body ended up not being to my liking so I was able to trade it for a 70cm body for one of my floating heads, and the head I put on another body I acquired in a trade. So I ended up completing two dolls that way.

I'm not sure I really learned anything, but I was quite happy with how things turned out.

What would you say to someone on the verge of an impulse purchase?
      Probably that they should give themselves time to think it over more thoroughly.

2. I think some of us has been there. Where a really neat looking accessory was just lying on the corner you added to your cart but have no use for your dolls. That beatiful doll that was recently released you had put on layaway but was not in your plan of buying at all.

Honestly my first doll is bought on impulse because I got mesmerized by her beautiful face up and eyes. She was not really on my plan. Then I recently joined a group order locally and realized the shoes I bought was made for heel feet, but my doll has flats. :doh

What about you? Have ever had any impulse buying experience? :3nodding:

3. I've had a few outfits that were impulse buys. Normally, I'd get online or go into a shop to get something for one doll and end up walking out with something completely different that I had no plans for. Raico's archer cosplay was one such experience.

4. If I had money I would be terrible impulse shopper. But I don;t so I have to consider carefully were the funds (or lack of) go... That sadi I do manage to dig myself into the occasional doll hole....

5. I'm a sucker for limited things, dolls included, so all of my dolls have been impulse :sweat

I suppose the most impulsive doll was my first one I purchased. It was a Dearmine Angela Cool. When I first saw her, it said she was sold out and I immediately frowned and thought to myself how much I would have liked to own her. Lucky for me the "sold out" sign was just there because they hadn't released her yet haha. I then saw that there would only be 30 in the world sold, So I researched what the exact hour would be when she was released, and what time it would be where I live so I could be the first one to buy her. And wouldn't you know it, I was! She was then sold out within minutes.

From then on I've developed the habit of buying a doll if I like it because I would hate to never have the chance to get them again... Unfortunately my bank account is now forcing me to pass on dolls I really want because I have too many on the way (oh withdoll knight of light Luna, how I wish I could have gotten your armour ;m; ) Dang companies with their pretty sculpts and limited editions. I hope I don't have to pass on souldoll's limited Souloid. Come one paycheque! :chomp:

6. When I was at my last job, I made enough money to have extra to spend on doll stuff weekly, and in that time I impulse bought a lot of dolls, accessories and furniture. The clothing and shoes weren't bad because I can always use those, but often I did end up thinking 'why on earth did I buy that doll/head/chair/hair clip??'

Now I'm a housewife and I mostly only have doll money by selling other doll stuff, so I have to really think about each thing before I buy it.

7. I try to stay away from impulse buying, but I bought my second doll on complete impulse. It ended up being the best purchase ever, she's my favorite doll and brings me so much joy!

The second doll I bought on impulse I didn't bond with at all, so I won't be doing anymore impulse buys. I got lucky with the other one.

8. Most of my doll purchases are a mix of pre-planning and impulse buying. I'll decide I want a 60 cm female, for example, and start researching companies, comparing sculpts, and making spreadsheets. Then I'll spot a random 60 cm girl who isn't even on my spreadsheet and get that "She's the one...Must. Buy. Now!" feeling. :lol:

I've been very happy with every purchase so far, so I guess it's a method that works for me.

9. I rarely impulse buy something I've never seen before. Usually if I impulse buy something, it's because I've been looking for it and it finally appeared so I went for it immediately! I tend to think very hard about buying some new product that I fall in love with immediately... and honestly I usually talk myself out of it. If I keep thinking about it after a week or a month then I know I really, really want it.

10. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      I bought a Switch head on impulse even though I wasn't sure I liked it. Shoulda held out for one I actually really wanted instead.

I should be sure the doll/head/item is something I actually really like and want! Whether I held out wanting it for a long time, or it's love at first sight does not matter, but buying thinking "maybeeeee" isn't good enough.

While Luts had a summer event and released single heads for just one day, and I had my eyes on a Honey Delf already, I told myself that if a cool MSD head comes on next, I'd place my order for the head and the Honey Delf and the next day my favorite MSD head came on. I suppose I'll count this as impulse purchase because I had to decide and place my order within that day.

Feels like it was destiny! haha

Trust your guts... go for it or you might regret it later - but do make sure it's something you really actually want!

11. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      I had fallen in love with the photos of Soom Shoshon, and when he came up for sale I snagged him up without hesitation! I had never had a Mega Gem before him, so his body was a little off putting to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the muscular dolls, but his face seemed so sweet and tender. To me he just didn't match the body. I ended up selling him, I think some money on him but it wasn't too bad.

I really should consider how much I really like the doll before spending that much cash, and look up ALL the measurements.

I usually don't impulse buy, when I buy a doll it's one that I have been looking for, for a while. However, I saw this gorgeous light violet Soom Arkose pop up for sale, his sale included all of his fantasy parts and he was quite a hefty price but I decided to get him. After purchasing him I felt a little nervous, he wasn't a doll I had fallen in love with through photos, but when he arrived that completely changed! I got him a new faceup and he is one of my favorite dolls to this day!

Light Violet skin is gorgeous!

Make sure you really love the doll before buying, and if it fits into the rest of your BJD plans. Do you really need a new doll? Or perhaps you should finish your other doll's characters first?

12. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc) Soom Yarn - I sold the little guy after about a year of unrest about his character.

What did you learn from this experience? Firstly, YoSD are really not my thing, I really should stick to SDs. Secondly, always have a character in mind before you hit the 'buy' button. Don't cut a part out of an existing character to give you purchase more weight.

What was your best impulse buy decision and why? DearMine Oskar - he's been a firm favourite ever since he arrived. He's my go-to travel doll.

What did you learn from this experience? Anthros are pretty cool, and Korean resin has more tooth than Chinese resin.

What would you say to someone on the verge of an impulse purchase? As long as you've got the money for it, do it! And if it doesn't work out, you can always re-home the doll.

13. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      Ruby Red Honee-B. Wanted my first tiny, she was in stock - and she was just not what I wanted. Ended up selling her.

Get the doll you want, not just the one in stock.

My avatar doll, Maddy. She's a BW PKF Mio who turned up in-stock at DDE. Bought her without a clue of what I'd do with her, put the only wig and eyes I had at the time on her - and realized she was a character who'd lived in my head for twenty years. She's perfect.

To trust my instincts.

Think about it a bit - walk away and do something else. If you still can't get that doll out of your mind no matter what, then go for it.

14. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      I bought an AOD doll because of the price. She was my second ever BJD. I ended up not liking her at all! The pictures really made her seem different. I ended up selling her to a friend's friend.

Look at blank versions of the same doll and look at the doll in different styles, if I can find them! I like to see the bare doll and what the doll has for potential. I also hate it when dolls have an open mouth and I must make sure the one I am getting won't have one!

I've actually had a lot of those... I'd say my best impulse buy was my first BJD, my Mystic kids Evelyn. I still have her a year and a half later!

STOP! Think about it! So research! Look at it for days and think it over. Can you afford it? Can you REALLY afford it? Are you sure you have something in mind for them? Don't buy anything for the price!

15. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      Unfortunately, it's a very recent and expensive impulse buy. I ended up buying Dollmore's Edge of a Rapier suntan Zaoll Luv because I was worried it would be my only chance to get a Zaoll in tan. I only ever wanted the doll, but Dollmore hasn't shown any interest in releasing the Zaoll girls in tan skin as basics. I've been using Paypal credit to help pay for my doll purchases, but I'd still never spent so much on a single doll before.

Now that she's here, I find myself thinking that the LE price tag doesn't quite match up. I spent almost $500 for the clothing, face-up. wig, eyes, boots, tan skin and sword. Besides the tan skin, the extras are useless and overpriced. So while I absolutely love the doll, I have to sell all these extra items (probably at a loss).

If the extras for a limited edition aren't worth the price tag to you or you're absolutely not interested in them, don't bother with them. Perhaps see if you can split them with someone else. Don't justify the purchase with "I should be able to sell the extras" unless you know there's a good demand for those particular items.

Also, if you're not totally comfortable with the price, don't buy. It'll always be in the back of your mind.

This purchase was also a couple of months ago. Fairyland announced their new Fantasy Art Line hippogriffs. At first, I didn't care much about them, but when I learned they would be released in tan and I saw the pictures of it, I knew I had to get one. I ended up doing a layaway with DDE and using handy dandy Paypal Credit again.

This is my first Fairyland doll and I absolutely love it. The hippogriff was my best impulse buy because it's a beautiful and fun doll to play with. There's loads of mobility and the extra parts (I ended up getting the full set) were well worth the money.

The only downside is that buying this particular doll has made me start to re-evaluate what type of collection I want to have. If Fairyland makes more dolls similar to the hippogriff, my other dolls might be in trouble! :o

It's definitely okay to take a risk on something new. Just be careful, make sure you can pay for the item in question and be able to take care of yourself.

Unfortunately, I'm a terrible enabler. But I do try to ask my friends if they feel comfortable making certain purchases and if they truly feel that the amount of money they are about to spend is worth the product. I like to ask them why they want the item in question and what their plans are just so they're at least thinking about what they're buying instead of focusing on the shiny and new aspect of a purchase.

16. I try not to impulse buy but I've been wanting to buy my first MSD and just recently I impulse bought Luts Yul right when he came out because he was limited. Except, barely a week later, what does Souldoll do? They go and release those absolutely gorgeous new Souloids, which I've been wanting since the very first Souloid was released! It made me kinda regret impulse buying Yul because, honestly, I probably would have passed him up to buy just Souloid Phiel, who I adore. I ended up getting the Souloid too on layaway and we'll see how I feel about Yul when he gets here. But next time I think I'll wait until it's towards the end of the limited period to buy a limited doll I'm not 100% sure about just in case something like this happens again, haha.

17. I've only made one impulse buy so far, and it was good so I'm answering the last three questions.

My best (and so far, only) impulse buy was my Dream of Doll Elf Kirill, referred to hereafter as Alistair. He's a limited sculpt with a beautiful face, and the price was reasonable.

Never be afraid to take a chance on something you're smitten with. I wasn't sure I'd like Alistair when he got here, but he's quickly become an irreplaceable member of my dolly family.

Mull it over for a few days if you can, like I did with Alistair. See if you can cobble together a character for the doll, and find owner pics if possible. If after this time the doll is still available and you still want it, go for it. It won't seem like quite as much of an impulse after that, but you'll at least be able to say you thought it through and didn't make an uninformed purchase.

18. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      The 3 SDs (plus one gift head) I got 9 years ago that I'm now trying to sell. I kept them for a number of years, but I never really did liked the size. I got to the point where my place is to small and I needed to restart my doll collection, finally trying to sell them. So far I have sold one head and one body, hoping to sell the other two full dolls and the one head I have left soon, these SD boxes take up so much room! xD I did at least have the money, so the impulse buy didn't hurt me financially at all.

That I don't want SDs and that I shouldn't just buy dolls because I like the sculpt, not thinking about size at all.... However I also learned it's ok to sell the dolls if I find they don't work for me, and that I don't feel super guilty like I thought I would!xD I would have always wondered if I wanted SDs if I hadn't got them, so even though I lost money on them, I'm still happy I bought them.

Bluefairy Tinyfairy Louis (Male) and Kyle (female). The reason being is becuse I'm now keeping Louis on the girl body with the male hands. So if I had not bought both dolls I wouldn't have the doll I have now, and she is perfect even before she gets a faceup!

That even if you don't want the dolls you currently have you can change them up to fit what you want now. Also that it's ok to change the character that resides within the doll.

If you are the kind that feels guilty for spending money or gets irritated at wasting some money don't impulse buy. However if you don't mind making mistakes and trying different things and maybe losing a bit of money in the process go right ahead! Sometimes you gain valuable knowledge about what you really enjoy. Also make sure that you have the money to spend if you impulse buy... losing money you had if you still have enough to live on isn't such a big deal... but if you lose money you needed for your health and well being... please take care of yourself first.

19. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

Worst? I tend to buy a lot of fashion dolls "on impulse" which results in a lot of money lost over time. It's a bargain, I kinda liked it, so I snag it and then after a few days the spend guilt starts to eat away and I end up selling it.

My biggest recent poor impulse choice was purchasing a Monster High doll I wanted to review without waiting for others to get a look at him first. As it turned out, he was pretty much identical to the previous releases of the same character so he was rather pointless a buy, and I sold him for a loss.

Not as much of a loss as you'd get with a bjd, but still it adds up over time. If you're spending like £20 on a doll and selling it for £15 and doing that a LOT, it adds up.

And that's where most of my impulse regrets come from. Not waiting for prices to drop and buying stuff because it's either "on special offer" or because it's "pretty omg gotta have it NOW" and then when it arrives I realise that actually, i don't have any space or any real NEED for it.

Mull things over and be patient. Prices will come down, there will always be another sale, there will always be another deal. This applies to bjds too. If you miss out on one great deal, there will always be another. It might take time, but there WILL be another chance.

I have 3 resin bjds. 2 were impulse buys.

Lyric (who is a resinsoul song girl) I spotted on Ebay when I was just getting my money together to order my first doll (also a resinsoul). I put her on watch because I thought she was interesting and she ended up not selling and getting relisted.
      Anyway, her BIN price was really decent, she was about £40 cheaper than new and came with a wig and outfits and eyes.

I had JUST ordered my first direct from the company and had settled into the dreaded wait period, and was already aching to handle resin and wondering if i'd made the right call. My boy was a custom order so was costing me a fair bit (to me anyway) and I was wondering if I really would like him once he arrived.
      That Ebay Song got relisted for £100 or there abouts and I thought "you know what? I'm gonna get her."
      She was already in the Uk so she'd arrive within days, I could handle resin and prepare myself for my incoming boy and get an idea of what to expect and she needed restringing so I could practice on something that didn't have the sentimental and financial investment.
      So I bought her.

She arrived after like a day and she was floppy as all hell but she was so pretty. She came with a factory faceup which made her a bit less intimidating than the blank boy i'd ordered, she was a fantasy colour like him, same company and everything so was an excellent test of what to expect.

I didn't know what i'd do with her at all, I had no character in mind, nothing. The dress she came with didn't suit her, the wig she came with was too big (gorgeous though) and she had 3 sets of eyes. So I swapped her eyes out for the yellow pair and dug into my wig stash that I have from my Makie dolls. As soon as I put a ginger wig on her she started to come to life, and her character started to develop.
      I loved her, I still love her. She's unlikely to end up going anywhere which is nice for her as i'm her third owner.

My second impulse was a few weeks back. After my first ordered boy arrived I realised that the doll I was pairing the resinsoul dolls with (who's an abs hujoo) didn't fit sylistically with them. He was too cartoonish with his giant bug-like eyes and even having done my resin boy's faceup in a similar style, they still didn't quite mesh.
      Now, I had a plan, a whole D&D party to construct.
      The backstory involved this hujoo boy ending up through magical misadventure in Sigil, the city of doors, and falling in with this local party. My first boy was the fighter of the party, Lyric had ended up a thief friend of the group's leader and my original plan had featured another hujoo msd boy playing that leader's role.
      But looking at my Hujoo boy Arthur alongside Jun and Song I thought "hmm, he really does look out of place" and my brain said to me "but that works, he's from another world, having him look out of place aesthetically ties into that."
      So I decided the leader of the party, who's called Auriel, should be resin as well.

So I started searching for a resin sculpt for this guy. I knew little about him except he was a rogue and an aasimar and couldn't be trusted. All the sculpts I liked for him were way out of my price range and then I trawled the marketplace and came upon an old listing i'd seen a few times in the past months for a resinsoul Wu.
      He was super cheap and he'd never been given a faceup or anything. I felt kinda sorry for him, and ideas started to perculate. "could those giant dishplate ears work for a descendant of a leonal? Could he be unearthly enough to work for Auriel?" and so on.
      at £90 I figured I may as well take the gamble, so he came home.

It rained for days, so took a while for his faceup to get done. I turned the house upside down looking for the wig I had in mind for him and when he was done he didn't look at all like i'd expected this character to look, BUT... it IS him. I can't explain why, but he is.
      But there was uncertainty for a bit there.

When he arrived I loved his face, but I wasn't sure he'd work for the character I had in mind. "no matter" I thought, he might be someone else.
      I did his faceup, I spent hours working on it, and then I put his eyes in and thought "mmm this hasn't worked at all."
      I hated his faceup and I felt really defeated.
      But then I remembered they weren't his final eyes anyway, my idea for him had always been for him to have blank white eyes so I turned his full rounds sideways so only the white showed and lo and behold... there he was.

I hadn't expected him to be redheaded, I thought he'd be blonde but the wig I had was orange (right style, wrong colour) and was meant to be a temporary one to test style. It works, so it's staying. I hadn't expected him to be a Wu, but it works SO well.

And so for me, my two impulse bjds have worked out well. I can't imagine parting with either of them.

My gut is pretty good. Also, if it's meant to be it's meant to be. If you miss out on a bargain, it wasn't supposed to be yours.
      I make deals with myself. "if it's still there after xyz then you should buy it, it's meant to be."
      sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

I'm still kicking myself for talking myself out of buying something the other day for a friend. I KNEW I should but then I got jittery thinking it was presumptuous and I couldn't really afford it and then it sold and I felt guilty because the friend (who had literally no money) was really sad. In that case it was a OOAK doll so there's less chance to be all "there will be another", but there will be another similar i'm sure, some day... and hopefully for cheaper.

Wait, take a little bit of time to walk away from teh computer and think hard about what you'll do with this doll. Do you want it just because it's pretty? can you afford it? Do you have a plan? What if it doesn't work out? can you sell it on without much loss if it doesn't work out? Can you sell the accessories you don't want? What other things will you need to buy to complete it?
      Is the price really that good?
      research research research. Look at blank faces, look at owner pics, get inspired. If you're still nigglingly unsure, maybe it's better to walk away.

20. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      Definitely my Felix Brownie. I didn't think they were still produced since Felix isn't technically in business anymore (now the Brownie sculpts are owned and produced by Dolk) and I saw her at a con and fell in love. The seller told me about how she bought her in Japan, they aren't made anymore etc... and I fell for the price which ended up being DOUBLE what Dolk sells them for. I still have her and she is so cute, but I feel kinda sick whenever I look at her, thinking about how bad a decision that was. I'm in a constant dilemma - I sort of want to sell her and try to forget about it, but if I sell her, I know I won't have the gall to ask for the same price I paid. So I'll end up with a significant loss of money. :doh If any of you guys have any tips or opinions on what I should do with her... please let me know!

Be careful with sellers at cons. It's really easy to make impulse buys when you see something you love in person, especially if you don't know where else you can get it (or if you can get it). I think some of them will ask for quite a bit more than what an item is worth ,in the hopes that you'll buy it in the heat of the moment. In addition, do as much research as you can! Before I bought the doll, I did google Felix Brownie and looked around trying to see if they were still made anywhere. I didn't find the link to Dolk because I typed in the keyword "felix" and since that's no longer their company they're just called "Brownie" there. I only found out they were still sold by Dolk the next day when my friend commented it on a picture of my new doll.

Either my Peak's Woods Dandy boy or my Volks SDM boy. I bought both of them at cons as well, and they've been some of my favorite dolls ever since ^-^ I bought my Dandy boy straight from Peak's Woods when they visited the PNW BJD Expo, and it was awesome to get a brand new, direct-from-company doll without paying for that EMS shipping hahaha. Not to mention a Dandy boy (pretty much any of them, they're all so pretty; but the one I ended up with was a blue-grey Tristan~) has been a grail for me for quite a long time. Then my SDM boy was secondhand, I bought him at the swap at Resin Rose. He wasn't specifically on my wishlist, but Volks is my favorite doll company and I had wanted an SDM ever since I handled my friend's Mako. Anyway this doll was a perfectly fair price (unlike my Felix situation...) and became a really special character to me really quickly. :celebrate

1) If doll companies or artists visit a con you're going to, it's a really great opportunity to buy a doll from them if you want one. It will cut down your costs considerably since you won't pay for shipping, plus you get that instant gratification if you buy it at a con hahaha. Peak's Woods has even done pre-orders where you could order a specific doll pick it up at the con! 2) Go from your wishlist as much as you can. If you see a doll and think "omg so cuuute" in the moment, it may not mean that you really want it. I personally get an itch for new dolls every time I go to a con (I conditioned myself by buying the two dolls I just talked about. Those positive experiences made me think every time I bought a doll at a con, it'd be a good idea... I don't think I necessarily wanted the Brownie all that badly. It was just the cutest doll for sale at that con and I felt compelled to buy a doll. :( really dumb I know). But if you see a doll that's on your wishlist or that you've wanted before, then it makes sense to buy it even if it's an impulse situation (as long as you know it's an acceptable price).

Maybe ask your friends' opinions (I did that with my Brownie and they initially tried to talk me out of it... I shoulda listened!!!) if it's limited/discontinued and being sold on the secondhand market, do some research because it's possible it might not be worth as much as it's listed for, and it's very possible that the same doll will pop up again someday. And if you're at a con... don't be me. Don't buy a doll for the sake of buying it. Only buy a doll if you really want it and think it's worth the price :chomp: