1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Impulse Puchases: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Oct 27, 2010

1. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      Sadly a lot of my past doll purchases were impulse buys. I tend to get caught up in the excitement of things like good deals or limited edition dolls. My very first doll was one I bought because it was a good deal.

What did you learn from this experience?
      Have a plan! Stick to the plan! I don't want to end up with a ton of dolls, as I don't really have the space or the funds for that, so I need to be extremely selective with my doll purchases, and put a lot of time and consideration into each doll that I buy. I've stopped buying dolls that I don't have plans for.

What was your best impulse buy decision and why?
      My best was a Soom Beyla who was my favorite doll before I left the hobby for a while. I ended up selling her, but she made me so happy when I had her.

Not all impulse buys are bad, but I still try to stay away from them.

What would you say to someone on the verge of an impulse purchase?
      Take a deep breath! Wait a few days or weeks and see if that doll is still something you're interested in. If it's a limited doll, wait until the end of the order period, or possibly just hold off until they're on the secondhand market.

2. This is really interesting...because I am an impulse buyer like all the time :sweat and especially true when it comes to doll purchasing...

What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

Considering all of my dolls are bought on impulse, I'd say I haven't regretted anything. Except for the huge bills to pay as they are bought in a close period of time from one another.

I know I shouldn't impulse buy anything...it will hurt my bank account badly, but can't help it :sweat

My first doll was bought on impulse, no regret because he was actually a limited and discontinued doll, save me from the trouble looking for him in secondhand market where I might find him in a less than perfect condition.

Trust your gut feeling and instinct, impulse buying can work out wonders (for me, at least) :XD::3nodding:

Go for it! Just be sure you really want it. Because the moment you second guess, that means there's a little doubt whether or not the purchase will turn out to be in your favor. I'd rather make it worthy! Or close the page, go to sleep and forget about it.

3. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      My first doll, I chose her because she wasn't ver expensive and she was pretty but she didn't fit the character I had in mind at all. I ended up selling her because I didn't like her.

I have to feel that I-don't-know-what before purchasing or it will probably be a disaster.

My first Yo-SD. I had settled for a certain sculpt but the day of the preorder they released a new sculpt and my plans changed instantly.

If you feel the click, it is the right thing to do. In my case it is.

I would ask if they have felt that thing for it, and also tell them to wait a bit and make a list of pros and cons.

4. Reading different people's opinions on this is really interesting! :lol:

What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

I'd say my first doll (a BBB Tony). I was originally saving for something more expensive but caved and bought him instead. I loved him for a while, but now I'm kind of disenchanted. He hasn't left my closet in a loooong time, so I'll probably end up selling him.

When you find something you really want, be patient and save for that doll. Second best is second for a reason.

Hmm... I haven't bought very many dolls, and Aelic was definitely not an impulse buy (I saved for ages), so I guess I'll say the DZ Carter I just ordered. It wasn't a complete impulse buy, but I did go from never seeing the doll before to buying him in about a week. I'm completely head-over-heels, I adore him.

Go with your gut on some things and look for what you love best! A few days before I saw Carter I was about to drop $450 on a complete impuse buy, and I'm really glad I didn't. If you have those pre-purchase butterflies, think about it for a bit.

Sleep on it. Come back later. Think about how you'll feel afterwards; when you wake up tomorrow after that big purchase, will you be thinking "man, that was a lot of money" or "wow, I'm so glad! That was money well spent!"

5. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

So far it's the Titan Awin from Granado. I haven't received him yet, ordered him thinking for some reason he was the same height as an Iplehouse HID.

I'm not buying anymore dolls as I'm waiting for 4 of them all ordered around Christmas time...

I will always say my David K from Dollshe. I fell in love with his picture & love him more everyday. My 2nd was an Iplehouse HID guy I bought from someone who is Davids Fiancé. They are my power couple!

Sometimes it's ok to be impulsive but really think about it for a day or so weighing out the options & future of your doll.

Stop & think before you buy since you most often can't get your money back & who wants to lose money if they sell their doll to get rid of it.

6. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end?

My second doll, a Dollmore Banji line Emoji. She was my second doll and wasn't purchased that impulsively, but I wish I'd done more research into her scale before I ordered her. I've tried to get her to work for me for the three years I've had her, but have decided to sell her because she does not work with the rest of the group at all.

Even though my obsessive research to ensure all my BJDs are the same scale sometimes seems excessive, having them work as a single group is important enough to me to be worth it.

It's probably a tie between the Fairyland Real Puki Toki Fullset and Dollzone human Wendy. The fullset was perfect for a character I wanted that size, and they sold out in a week. I adore my Wendy, she's such a unique doll, I would have been sad if I'd missed her.

I should think about it a bit first, and if I'm still in love and I'm sure they will fit with my group, I should go for it.

Give yourself a little time to think about it. Most limited dolls have an order period long enough that you don't need to make an instant decision. So if you doubt your interest or fallout of love, you'll know to ignore the interest.

7. I’m not sure if this has been posted before but I’m having a bit of a dilemma?? As I’m waiting to finish my layaway for my first doll, I find myself looking at onhand dolls that fellow doll owners/dealer in my area are selling. It seems that I’m really itching to get my hands on a doll (the sculpt is a sculpt I really like too and it’s for a character I have in mind so it’s extremely hard) to have something to play with so I can get my mind off of my mnf :sigh

Have you guys had that doll you bought while waiting for your first doll? Do you regret it? And if you’ve had this feeling before and didn’t buy a doll, what did you tell yourself?

8. Honestly impulse buys during the waiting period are normal. XD A lot of people visit the marketplace or go to DDE/Junkyspot for an instock dolly or two. It's pretty normal.

I personally don't, buuuut I am guilty of buying clothes/wigs/shoes for the newcomer.

9. I think it's completely normal. I don't regret any of the dolls I bought second-hand or from stock at a dealer. I am currently waiting on a doll and a body, and about to order two more tinies, but in the meantime I'm scouring the marketplace. :D

There are a few times when I really wanted to impulse-buy a doll and didn't do it, and I ended up regretting it. Sometimes it was inevitable (lack of funds, and my family for some odd reason wants food on the table) but sometimes I was just being overly cautious and those are the ones I regret most.

If it's a doll you can afford, why not go for it? I'd be careful if it meant entering a second layaway, though. Especially if you think there may be a chance you won't be able to pay it off, as generally you do lose the money you've already paid if you forfeit on a layaway.

10. Thank God I am not the only one! I was really worried since I thought I was being a bit too overboard when I’m still a newbie in the hobby.

I did the same actually and bought a bunch of stuff from Alice’s Collection and am just waiting for them to process my order! I’m looking forward to receiving it and imaginging how she’ll look in them.

I would definitey check out the marketplace once I meet the requirements for it! I’m simply checking out instagram and facebook at the moment but I’m too wary to actually jump in and buy something there.

Honestly, as you did, I did think about funds for my family and also other more “practical things”. Thankfully, I do have enough self control though one of the second hand dolls I’ve been wanting to get got snatched away just a few hours ago. The regret is there now! :sweat

Thank you for the advice! It’s actually one of the factors that I keep reminding myself so I don’t jump into a next layaway. The desire is strong, though. I’m always like this no matter what hobby I am in haha

11. I bought my grail head while waiting for a body for one of my other heads and I felt so guilty for it but I knew I wouldn't see her again at the price she was being sold for!

12. I say its normal. I think its just the anticipation. I pretty much ordered all the outfits and goodies mine needed in the waiting period. Good way to not go out and get another in the mean time. XD

13. I would agree with pretty much everyone else who's come before me, and say that it's normal. I'm 1/3 of the way through the layaway on a MYOU Ben, but I'm fighting the urge to buy an Angodoll Tre head. If I can afford a Tre head and shipping, which I really can't right now, I can afford another payment on Ben. But, as stated, I can't really afford another doll/head right now. So, I bought Ben a kigurumi instead, because he'll need something to wear when he gets here in a few months.

14. I didn't with my first doll, partly because I ordered him in stock from JunkySpot, and partly because it took me so long to save up for him that even if I wanted to impulse buy another, there was no way I could have even begun to afford it. :sweat

But since then? Oh yeah. Definitely. Most recently, I sold quite a few things from my collection and preordered a new body for Lakin, which I expect to take 4-6 months to arrive. I didn't really plan to buy any more resin for awhile, but JunkySpot had a lovely ResinSoul Xue in stock and I got enough money for Christmas that I thought about her for a day, then bought her. Sometimes I ask myself why I did that, since I didn't have a strong character in mind for her, but I've been having fun decorating her shelf space and acquiring clothes for her, she's really cute and her character seems to be coming together fairly easily, so I think it was an okay thing to do! My biggest rule about impulse buying is that I will not allow myself to hit 20 dolls. I've had up to 38 because of impulse buying, and it was overwhelming, so not, under 20 is a good number for me. I currently have 18, so one more, and then I have to sell some before buying again. It helps me really think about whether or not to impulse buy dolls when I do have spare money.

15. I'm definitely an impulse buyer when I see a sculpt that grabs me, lol - which isn't very often, so I feel it's justified.

16. OP you're not alone! I told myself that I wouldn't buy any more resin until the spring (when I'm hoping there will be events to offset the prices) but then I spotted two dolls in the MP that just wouldn't get out of my mind...so I bought them. I make a habit of regularly checking my accounts and putting money aside for future spending, to offset any instant-shopping urges I might have.

17. I am currently waiting on my first doll and find myself browsing a lot. I worry that I won't be excited for my original girl, but then I look at pictures and get excited again.

18. I'm with you too! I should be saving for a nice body for my boy, but I happen to be in love with so many sculpts. I've been eyeing one on the market and hopefully I'll snatch him for good this weekend T__T

19. I'm impulse buying dolls all the time ... that's why I got so many ... XD

20. Happens to me all the time... especially when I'm already broke and paying off layaways, there always is at least one doll showing up without warning and have me buy them at once. Some of them are dolls I was looking for forever, some I fall in love instantly. And all of them have to be impulse and quick descisions.
      Sometimes I feel a little bad and regret it while waiting for delivery, but after all I never ever had regrets later.
      I see all impulse buys as signs - those dolls have chosen me :)