1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Impulse Puchases: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Oct 27, 2010

1. Happens to me too. I’ve recently broken my vow of not having more than one doll on layaway at a time. Thankfully the wishlist is empty and I’m hoping to make it through the Spring events without being tempted!

2. None during a waiting period but I've had a few impulse buys.

Once while shopping around for a specific doll, I happened across another doll from the same company. The deal was so good, I couldn't pass him up. He's one of my favorites, now.

Another I saw at a meet up, sitting high up out of the way and who I honestly thought was kind of awkwardly chunky and ugly. But we brought her down and after taking off her full set, I found her purple gray resin to be really charming and lovely and wound up accidentally naming her. Yup, she's mine, now.

The only impulse I've regretted was when my hubby said I could get a doll, but gave me a price limit. So I went for a resinsoul... wound up never really bonding with him and eventually sold him.

3. My profile pic doll was an impulse buy who ended up becoming one of my favorite characters. I saw her in stock at DDE and was telling myself "at least wait until payday!" while I was clicking "confirm order."

4. I am so guilty of doing the online dolly window shopping, especially on secondhand groups or Junkyspot. I've got a while to wait for my guys to get in, and it's hard to not want to give in and buy some of these dolls I see, but I'm lucky I have a boyfriend who talks me out of it, lol

5. Oh geesh I can't even count the times I have impulse bought a doll her on DoA or elsewhere and you know what 90% of those impulse buys I still have and one of them is one of my favorite dolls! In fact I just impulse bought a DC Ela that was in stock somewhere, I wanted to purchase her from the company but missed the deadline so she's not in the color I wanted but I'll make her work with some blushing or dye her. Its hard not to impulse buy when companies have so many limited dolls, its like ok buy it now or miss out on the order period and try and hunt it down later..lol.

6. Yeah, I'm definitely in the "trying to hunt it down later" stage on some of the dolls I didn't buy (for totally logical, 'responsible adult' reasons) when they were first released.

7. All of mine were impulse buys in that I spent very little time thinking each of them over. For my first, I was looking more to have A DOLL from the specific company (Luts), and picked the one I bought because I noticed I kept browsing back to his page to look at the pictures.

The second I bought a few days after the first (lmfao), because it would've burned not to, and I was in a position where I could just drop that much money without repercussions. It isn't happening again. 8) I'm more ashamed of the story than I am of having the dolls.

The third incoming, two years later, I'd been wanting a girl doll for a very long time anyway, and the one I'd been looking at didn't meet my requirements when I asked the company about it. I'd found out about the company I did buy from (MYOU) through an unboxing video for a 1/4 on Youtube, and I decided to look at their 1/3 sculpts-- there she was, and she met all of my wishlist requirements, and the sculpt sparked so many ideas in my mind for face-ups. I read a few product reviews, re-watched the unboxing, and decided it was worth going for, and that was that.

I am very happy with the ones I have, and I'm really excited about the third one. There isn't much I regret. XD

8. What do you think of impulse purchases?
      I have done impulse buys in the past for other non BJD brand dolls when I started collecting dolls.

What keeps you from making them?
      With BJD, experience since I have been in the general doll collecting hobby I have learned how to better manage my money and not feel tempted to buy as many dolls.

What would you say to someone on the verge of an impulse purchase?

I would recommend making lists for your doll collection that includes clothes, etc.
      1.what you have
      2.what you want
      3. what you no longer want

I have been able to fund my new dolls with dolls and other doll items I owned previously.

9. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      I bought 4 dolls on impulse on 3 different time! Dolllove yanyan and a myou loretta and onlydoll hongxiu and youbai. I sold both the dolllove and onlydoll girl.

What did you learn from this experience?
      Its a waste of money and heartache! Cos i couldnt bond and its sad to let them go!

What was your best impulse buy decision and why?
      Myou loretta and onlydoll youbai! Love them so much!

Well its a bad experience! I m broke on those month and i have to eat instant noodle alot! And i do not have a real credit card only debit, lol

Sleep over it! If u still think abt the doll in the morning, go for it! Impulse buy are ok if u have spare $$

10. great advise I just impulse bought some doll clothing just last night because they were on sale..lol. I really do need to make a comprehensive/extensive list for sure.

11. I did make a new extensive list of dolls I am looking for, but I doubt that will stop me from impulse-buying. :D
      A list of clothes souns like a great idea.

12. I've had dreams where I impulse bought dolls and felt "what was I thinking?" After I wake up, it can take days before realizing I don't actually own said dolls.

13. I avoided purchasing something on impulse last weekend and now I regret NOT buying it.
      That unusual time when you wish you hadn't been so cautious.

14. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      Akagi Doll Lan and DFH Xiao Xin heads I got for 25 USD each off Alice's Collection. I thought I was going to use them for hybrids for my characters (they were also a pretty good price). As soon as I got them in my hands I realized they were not going to work out for my characters. Then I created fantasy characters to shell them in and modded them to fit better. At this point I just want to sell them so someone who will love them more than me. :(

I learned to only buy dolls/ doll parts that I've put a lot of thought and planning into, so I know I will really use and love them.

Hmm... probably my doll chateau agatha. I consider her an impulse buy because I bought her the day after I discovered she was in stock at denver doll emporium. I didn't put any thought if her character would 100% fit that shell (I just knew I wanted the k-07 body). Turns out she fits perfectly and i'm so glad I got her. :)

I don't think I learned anything...

It depends on the pending purchase and the person. In most cases I think I would say: If you can spend time really thinking about if you want it or not, spend that time, so you avoid the chance of regret it latter.

15. Kitty Blue has great advice for impulse buys - keep a list or lists of what you have! Check that list first before buying. It's too easy to buy the same thing twice when you distracted. Ask me how I know!:doh

16. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      My "worst" impulse buy was probably my first bjd, a Little Monica Little Sophia. I originally wanted to start out with MSD's and she was in stock at DDE and since I live nearby I could pick her up that day. But then I quickly realized if it wasn't a Minifee MSD I didn't want to play with it. Fairylands so addicting :aeyepop:

Researching more about the body/sculpt/resin matches to a sculpt I like.

Probably my Tiny Delf Jack from Luts. Little Jinx is just so expressive compared to my SD gals and is easy to make things for.

There's a unknown risk when it comes to impulse buys, especially if theyre in stock or pretty decently priced.

Research!!! I knew I'd love the posability of the tiny delf but didn't know enough about Little Monica that the knees aren't double jointed and she wasn't the type of aesthetic that I enjoy.

17. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)

Buying my first doll because I had the money to do so. I wish I had waited and decided on the perfect sculpt instead of rushing into buying due to excitement. I still have her but I want to sell her so I can buy the right doll.

Definitely to wait and see. Take the time to decide and make sure what you’re doing is the right thing. If you still want it 1-2 weeks later, then go for it.

Honestly idk. I make a lot of them lol.

Wait it out. If you still want it later, go for it but don’t buy it in the moment.

18. What do you think of impulse purchases?
      I can see how it can happen very easily with dolls. Companies are Great at creating a sense of urgency and adding other little insentives to get a person to buy quickly.

What keeps you from making them?
      I tend to “circle” on dolls a lot. Like I’ll keep coming back to them or talking about them with friends. I look up all the clothing that suits that size. I look at owner photos and company reviews. I calculate how much it’ll cost me and how much money I’ll have left over for other things. I tend to give it a day or two. Once that time period is over I normally have cooled off and can pass on a doll or I know 100% I want that doll. I have dolls that I was sure I wanted but the next day I’m like.... what were you thinking??? lmao! Thank god I didn’t buy them.

I’d just say do your research. Think about what events might be coming up that you might want to wait to see the outcomes of before committing to a big purchase. Look at your existing dolls to make sure they aren’t too similar. And... give it 24 hours. Sometimes that’s all it takes to save you from making a costly mistake.

19. What was your worst impulse buy decision and what happened in the end? (Sold, kept, etc)
      Not for a doll but for everything else. I donated/tossed too many outfits and makeup to count; the clothes no longer look good without the store's lighting and magical mirror, and why do I keep buying makeup when I don't know how to put them on nicely!!
      Just stop freaking buying things for myself. If I want to spend money so badly, then get my doll beautiful clothes!
      My IOS - Lacrimosa, the rare occasion that I don't regret a purchase.
      That I shouldn't buy something because others recommend it or because it's expensive so it must be good.
      First, determine if you love the item, or if you want it because it's extravagant and others have it. If it's the latter, hold off the purchase, or you'll likely feel stupid afterwards.

20. I am meant to have banned myself from buying new dolls since I have a long layaway to pay off (2/9) but I have literally just impulse bought another after looking at it for only a couple of minutes :lol: does anyway else get like this?! I can’t control myself! *_*