1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

In a hobby for longer than 4 years? How is it going?

Mar 15, 2011

1. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      According to my registration date on DoA, more than 5 years!

Did anything change? like the way you treat your dolls, etc
      Not really, I was never much for playing with my dolls when I started and I'm still pretty much the same now. I have taken to sticking my dolls in display cabinets now however.

How many dolls have you got over the years?
      This will be difficult as I have bought separate heads and bodies as well as full dolls, so I'll have to list them as such, the total of dolls/parts I have bought since I got into the hobby until now is 7 dolls, 6 heads and 5 bodies. I currently only have 5 complete dolls and a 6th on his way home.

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time?
      Well, my oldest doll would be 4 this year, and some of the rest are little over a year, while others are much less. Anyway, going by my oldest, I think she still looks great, she might have mellowed somewhat, but I can't tell as her yellowing is not severe. I have been very careful to not leave her in direct sunlight, and her original faceup is still pristine. I do plan to change it one of these days however...

2. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

Been in the hobby since '04, got my first in '05. So, in April my first will be six years. :)

Well, since I have less time on my hands, I buy their clothes rather than sew them. And I do less customizing than I once did. But I've always treated them more-or-less respectfully, but not like cabinet babies. They're all still character-based to one degree or another.

Well, I've got fourteen right now, but I bought and sold two. So, over the years, sixteen.

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time?

Well, my first, he's yellowed noticeably. He's not florescent yellow or anything, but his arms and hands are very pale with a yellow tinge (he's a DoD, so he started out pale pink). And with my second it's hard to tell, since his resin was already normal yellow when I got him (old CH resin, and I'll have had him for six years come August). But none of them have broken any fingers or toes or had their noses smashed or anything. I'm not particularly concerned about it. : )

3. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I joined DOA in the fall of 2005, but I was interested in them for a time before that.

I'm not so romantic about them as I was in the first place. I never thought I'd sell any, and I've been terribly impulsive over the years. I've finally started to spoil them with clothing and things though. I don't photograph them as much as I used to, but hope to change that soon.

My Dahlia who just arrived this month makes what I believe to be the 23rd BJD I've had in my collection (well, 24th, but one is off-topic here). Many of them have moved on.

Pretty well. With the exception of one doll, if there's been any yellowing, it has been so mellow and even. Remedy, my Volks Kun, has been here for five years as of last month and she's in great shape (as are the other two dolls I got in the same year). She's had the same wig and eyes for nearly that entire time, just got a new face-up (and that's because I wanted one, not because she needed one!), and hasn't been re-strung yet. Jasper, my Leeke Mihael has been here for 3 years, and he looks great, but he's suddenly as floppy as they come and is due to be re-strung. The only one struggling a bit is my Secretdoll Yomo, she's a very old Yomo, and has experienced some yellowing in a previous home, and needs to be re-strung, but I can't attest to her level of care before I got her.

4. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      About 4 years maybe a little less.

I’m slightly less neurotic about sun light, but only slightly, and I’m totally comfortable restringing now.

14 that are just mine, and about ten that I share with my sister.

They look perfect. Only one doll seems to have a slight greenish hue that only shows up in pictures, and in certain lighting. The rest don’t have any yellowing at all. The only doll I have with any faceup damage is a doll I got secondhand. Her previous owner scraped her face and chipped her eyeliner while ripping off her eyelashes, but she has had no further damage in my care. My oldest doll looks just as beautiful as the day I got her.

5. Heh, it's nice to see some of the old-timers pop in to answer. Some of you I thought were long gone! Good to see ya! :D

How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I've been buying BJDs since 2005 but I first saw them and wanted them back in 2000 when I was collecting Volks 1/6 Dollfies.

When I got my first dolls I was deeply under the belief that I'd never sell a doll. That held up for about two years, MANY more companies cropped up, many new dolls came out, my tastes changed and I rolled with it. Some dolls really are here to stay but if a doll doesn't seem just right and something better comes along I will sell the old and bring in the new.

I currently have 22 but some changes are underway so it's more like 20. I've owned and sold off at least another 8-10 dolls.

I haven't noticed much yellowing in my first doll, he's a Dollshe from 2005. I have two dolls that are older than '05 but I bought them later so I don't know if they've yellowed, they are both nice normal skin colors - one's a HyperManiac and the other a head from Kanon that still matches Volks normal. I want to say that my Ltd white Volks body from '05 is a bit creamier and maybe also my white Dollstown boy from '06 (but DT doesn't use the same resin type since they went to in house casting). Other than that everybody looks the same. I do keep them in a dim room that gets no direct sunlight and only occasionally will I take a doll outside, I can only assume that's helped. Some of them could use new face-ups but that's normal after several years.

6. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Since 2006 but I didn't join DoA until 07. I started with the 1/6 obitsus and worked my way up from there.

I don't think so. I've always been pretty careful with their face-ups and such. If anything I am much more picky about how I dress them. I've slowly learned that quality is better than quantity. Nice outfits make all the difference. I've also learned that it is okay to sell a doll. Better than letting the poor dear collect dust.

I've never gone over 25 though I am slowly hitting that mark. I've sold between 5-6 dolls in my hobby lifetime.

Pretty good I must say. I'm sure there is some yellowing but nothing too sever (with exception to my SoulKid, I purchased her with the buttery yellow complexion). My Obitsu girl could certainly use a good cleaning too but I have to order a special cleaner for her. Oh and my Issac needs are new face-up but I loath the thought of sending him out. I think I shall wait until it is really bad.

7. Good questions.
      How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I've been in the hobby since 2006, 5 years.
      Well, I still hate re-stringing, but I can do most other things that I hadn't attempted before, like making outfits for them, face ups, mods etc. So I suppose I have a confidence with them now that I didn't have to start with.I'm still extraordinarily careful with other people's dolls though.
      Well, I now have twenty, and I think I've sold about seven in the past, ( but three of those were to be able to buy my Lusion doll).
      Doing well I think. I do keep them in a room with the blind down though, so I look after them well.

8. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Five years, it seems. Didn't realize.

I don't try as hard when it comes to photos, honestly. I'm more focused on just painting dolls nicely now. I never played with them that much in the first place. I'm still just as casual with them as ever, though.

For a while I started hoarding Unoas, so the most dolls I had was four-- my original Lati and three Unoa boys. I quickly sold off the excess Unoas though, so now I'm down to my one Lati and Unoa. I ordered one more recently though, and I'm stopping at three unless I somehow come into a lot of money and can buy dolls that I've been wanting just so I can paint them. Which is a lot of dolls.

My Unoa arrived to me in bad shape, so when I saw the opportunity I replaced him. He was from the original boy batch and was yellowed-- he also had his own battle scars here and there. I got him secondhand from the most recent batch at the time, and since then I've taken care of him very gingerly. My Latidoll arrived to me with color differences between the head and body, so now the difference is even more noticeable. Both of my dolls do not have any damage overall however, and are generally pretty clean and as new as they can get considering how I barely touch them. I take a handful of photos of them a year, so... it's intentional, I guess. I mostly just paint them and look at them-- so it's more likely they have face-up scars than any body scars.

9. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

About 5.5 years

Mm..when I just had them I took them along everywhere more, now I prefer to dress them up pretty and look at them. Not really because of bad experiences, it's just a changed way of enjoying them.

I have 9 now, with the 10th on the way, and I've sold 3 dolls over those years.

and the question that interests me the most:

Pretty well, actually! My chiwoo, my very first doll, was always a bit beauty yellow and he yellowed, but I don't mind as he's supposed to be an antique doll and I prefer his color now much more. It suits his look, I've actually received compliments about his color because it suits him so well. Recently I put an older pair of hands on him, and he didn't even yellow all that much, compared to those hands that stayed in a box for most of those 5 years. Also, it stopped about a year and a half ago, he hasn't yellowed any further since then. My Cecile is really pretty incredible, he has almost no yellowing, I'm planning to put him on a different Volks body soon and when I tried it out on a friends body, it matched, even though that body was like..a year old? And my Cecile is pretty darn old. Both of them have no scratches that I can see off, and really..they're just fine. I think if you would put them next to my newer dolls, especially dolls like my Narae and Glorydoll boy who yellow more easily, I don't think you could tell they were my first. So, don't worry too much about yellowing and such <3

10. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Four and a half years.

Going from a few dolls to a lot changed how much time I spend on each of them, obviously, but I also let go of the idea that I had to form a deep emotional connection with each of my dolls. Doing that with 25+ dolls would drive me crazy. :sweat
      I've become more careful with my dolls (for example, I try to use the right tools for restringing instead of grabbing something that's nearby as an improvised tool.). I want them to last even when I can fix most types of accidents.
      The biggest change I've seen, though, is introduction of new types of dolls and the amount of new doll companies. I'm glad I got into the hobby when I did, because if I had to choose my first doll now with 10 times more options I had 4,5 years ago, I'd go nuts.
      Some companies have disappeared too, which I find sad.

Over 25. I sold a few, but I have 25+ at the moment. (Some are ordered, but not shipped. Some need to be sold and then there are the floating heads that I usually don't count.)

My four year old French resin UniLimited doll from UniDoll was always a bit yellowish and she has yellowed evenly, because I took good care of her. She kind of looks like she has a light tan. The urethane dolls that I kept in my living room have yellowed unevenly due to sun exposure, so I try to avoid that now. My oldest doll, a DoD Lahoo, has yellowed evenly too, and into a nice creamy colour. No banana yellow dolls in my collection. ^_^ (Although I have noticed that Beauty White resin from Luts for the CP Delf dolls yellows fast.)
      Some older dolls have a few dents and chips from when I was new to the hobby, but most dolls are in very good condition, although some could use some tightening of the elastic.
      My UH-14 has a 4 year old company face-up that still looks good. With some care a face-up can last years.

11. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I first learned about BJD sometime in '03, but didn't get a full resin one until around late '05.
      I got a vinyl Volks' DD in '03 and a CP VDES head in '04 – there were not that many options
      around back then and I just wanted a male vampire doll. I thought a DD would help me see
      if I could handle such behemoths of dolls, in case I later wanted to buy an “pricey” full-resin one.

No. I still treat them the same way – although I do play with them a lot less.
      But I blame everything on age, I was 23-24 when I first got my DD, I was a lot
      more energetic back then, I made very crappy clothes for her almost every week,
      now I don't play with her at all and I avoid making clothes for her at all costs.

Seven full dolls, three large ones four small ones and six floating heads
      (don't have any plans to get a body for most of those heads, if any).
      I’m very happy that I’ve managed to keep my BJD-collection relatively small,

since I don’t seem to be able to play with all of them as much as I would like,
      age is certainly gaining on me. T__T;

Very, very well. It certainly helps that they have been coated with UV-cut MSC and
      that they spend most of their lives in my very cold closet, inside their respective boxes.
      My CP VDES head (the oldest resin bjd-head I own), still has a very fresh mint-looking face-up,
      which I hope stays that way for a very long time (or until I die).

- Enzyme (:

12. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

Since 2003 O.O"
      I was surfing the net one day searching for reference material for a "scary doll" drawing I wanted to make, and stumbled across a picture of Luts' Soony. Instant HOOKage took place. :lol:

If anything, I got more "protective" over them. I have some wigs and outfit stuff essential to them that has long been sold out, so I am afraid that those item will get damaged if I take my dolls everywhere.

On another level, soooo many small doll companies have started popping up everywhere! When I first got in the hobby, Luts had 10 sculpts to choose from, and it was up to you to make the doll as uniquely yours as possible. It was a challenge! It drove me to tap into every aspect of my creativity, with modding, painting, sewing etc.
      Nowadays I feel that, with a pocket of money and a free week to browse, you can create your exact doll without ever having to lay a finger on it. Now it's more of a challenge not to get lazy, and just browse until I find that piece of clothing online instead of getting behind the sewing machine. That's kind of a shame, really.. XD

Hmmm, I have bought more dolls than I actually kept. To me bonding is essential. If it doesn't happen within 2 days, I know the doll isn't for me however beautifull it may be.
      I think 20-something dolls have come in and 9 actually stuck with me. :)

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time

Most of my dolls have yellowed, some a bit more than others, which is unavoidable.
      The first doll that was a definite keeper (which was the 3rd doll I ever bought) is my Chiwoo Elf, in white skin, and he shows the most yellowing, but for a doll this age I thought he would have yellowed a lot more by now so it's actually surprising to me how well he's holding up.
      I thought it would bother me senseless, but I come to find that I love them all the more for it! :lol:
      To me it's like a sign of them actually putting up with me for so long, it's kinda like a tattoo, if that makes any sense.
      It's the sign that they really want to stay in my house.

13. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

4 1/2 years - ish.

I am more particular about wanting them to work for me, now, than I used to be, but I'm also lazier about putting them on the market if they don't.

a large number. I really don't know any more! I've sold a good many as well as trading some; a couple I've owned (and sold or re-traded) more than once each -- same doll, not just same sculpt. I also have shifted collection a bit as interests have changed. In general I shy away from minis and the super-tinies, but that's not an absolute, either.

Most of them are just fine. There is one that has yellowed a great deal - a result of the particular resin mix, I suspect, as a fellow from the same company is still just normal skinned. One of my big elf boys is kind of yellow, and yet I don't know whether it's his resin or the MSC on his faceup, and I can't bear to wipe it.

Aside from those two, the rest all have normal "mellowing" and seem just fine to me. No greening on the tans.

The "core" group of dolls, those I've had longest, seem like companions now to the point that it probably wouldn't matter to me if they yellowed. A lot like the over 30-year relationship with the spouse; neither one of us has that bloom of youth any more but we don't mind. :)

14. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

Got my first doll on 26th December 2005. That kind of a date is impossible to forget. ^_^;;; This would be my sixth year in the hobby.

In the beginning, I was super gung-ho and wanted to do everything, from faceups to sewing their clothes to hand-stitching fiber wigs for them. :sweat Nowadays, with all these Chinese stores around and the very agreeable exchange rates, I've been buying wigs and clothes for the gang, though I'm still very insistant on doing faceups myself.

Right now, I've got 6 full dolls, 3 heads, one head and one body incoming. I expect to be selling one of the existing heads with the incoming body, once the body arrives. The other two heads will be rolling around indefinitely, since I have no plans to start collecting MSD size (again). The last incoming head might or might not be stealing a body. =A=

I've bought and sold quite a few dolls over the years, most of the transactions happening within the past two years or so, and I've learned that one doll a year is about right for me. I take forever to stabilise their looks, and having too many around at once just stresses me out. ^_^;;;

As far as yellowing goes, I think that my second oldest doll (2007) has darkened over time, though not by that much. My oldest doll (2005) is tan, and I've got nothing to compare him to, so I really have no idea if he's yellowed. There's no uneveness to his colouring, though. The rest of them are fairly new, since I took a break for a year or two.

As far as damage goes... /wants to cry. Well, first doll's got a chipped ankle. He's irreplaceable (literally, out of production), so I'm sad. Second doll ended up cracking his knee, but the damage is not serious. Third doll took a dive mere weeks after coming to me, and ended up with light chips on his arms. So far, the latest 3 are fine. =_= But I really shouldn't jinx myself, should I?

15. I read the title of this first. It says "In A hobby for longer than 4 years". I've been in the doll hobby for 45 years and must have owned thousands of dolls over that period. I've made quite a few in that time too. :lol:

BJDs are just the latest aspect for me - although they are the sort of doll I always wished for.

16. How long have you been in the BJD hobby? Around about 4 years

Did anything change? like the way you treat your dolls, etc Yes. When I got my first doll I treated him like he was made from glass and was terrified to do anything that might 'harm' him. Nowadays I've learned a lot more about the sturdiness of resin and am less careful than back then - I can actually restring now! :lol: Overall I haven't changed much, I'm still careful but my knowledge has expanded exponentially :)

I have currently 11 full dolls, one head and two full on layaway. However, I have bought and sold on at least twice that many - I like to send my dolls to better homes if I feel I'm neglecting them X3

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time? The doll I have had the longest is an Angell Studio Vera and I can honestly say she has been nearly everywhere with me. Despite that her resin is still the same sort of shade it was when I got her (I have a hand of hers that sat on a windowsill for 6 months and barely yellowed to use as comparison to her skin tone) and apart from a design fault causing her hand to break, she's otherwise still perfect. My oldest doll (one I have actually owned for a relatively short length of time!) is a Volks MSD Mika and her resin tone is very similar in that if there's any yellowing it's so even as to be unnoticeable. To my eyes I can tell that she's an old lady compared to my other dolls, but not because of any damage or yellowing to speak of. I find that with most people I know as long as the dolls haven't been sat in direct sunlight or dropped a ton of times they remain very much the same with age. Resin seems to mellow rather than just go banana so yellowing's never really been a concern of mine since I keep them in the dark except when I take them out with me :XD: And as long as the resin quality isn't horrible they usually don't seem to perish either - though elastic does weaken over time and needs to be replaced occasionally ^_^ I don't really know much though, since it's not... umm... well really something I think a whole lot about I'm afraid :sweat You'll get good advice from other people though :D (Hence why I shall be paying attention to this thread! :lol:)

17. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      It will be six years in June.

I've gotten pickier about what dolls I want, and more focused on fewer companies. I still feel as strongly about my dolls as ever, but have also come to realize that sometimes selling a doll is something that needs to happen (something I never would have considered at the beginning).

I believe I was at 23 including the two floating heads. However, I have several dolls and heads packed up to be sold, so now I'm at 16 full dolls and one in progress that I'm keeping. I know my population will continue to grow back a bit, but in a more cohesive way this time.

Very well -- I still have my first doll, and while his color has mellowed a bit, there's been no extreme yellowing, and his company faceup still looks nice. I also have some dolls off the marketplace that are pretty old, and they look very good too. With reasonable care, bjds will age just fine. Yellowing is something to be aware of, since you don't want to expose your doll to things that will increase the severity, but at the same time it's nothing to panic about either.

18. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

Since 2004, so almost 8 years.

Nope, I still play with them.

Hard to say...there weren't many companies to choose from when I started buying dolls and I sold all the dolls I started with when new dolls appeared that I liked better. I currently have a large collection, most of them very small.

My dolls are fine. I keep them in my house out of the light and if the oldest ones have changed color, it isn't very much.

19. How Long Have I been in Hobby?
      3 Years and 3 months now. Found BJD in August of 06 but I had to sell dolls I was collecting. So bought first one in Jan of 2007 and first ones I bought were from DDE, Elf dolls in fact. I didn't trust sending money overseas.

Did I change the way I handled my dolls over time?
      Probably as I have learned how to not only clean them, but better ways to dress and add wigs, change eyes and so on. At first they wore clothes I put on for months. Now change them at least 2-3 times a month depending on stories.

How Many Dolls Have you had over the Years?
      This is embarrassing, but understand until I went to meet ups and even to Denver Doll in person a year into hobby had no clue that there was a difference between companies and how they did their dolls. I have bought and sold over 300 BJD. :blush

The only one I have had for any length of time and bought new is my Dollstown Hue, Shigure who has been with me for almost 3 years. He has yellowed but on face and on hands the most as he has also been a travel doll. He has been on 3 trips with me as well as around the property for photo shoots. The others range in age from 1 year to just a few weeks. But they for most part due to my learning what works are keepers so I am guessing in time they will yellow and that is fine.

20. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      - Discovered them august 2006, studied them for a year, and january 2008 I became a official owner.

- Nah not really. I`ve gotten more devoted to them, maybe. And taking loads of more pics since I got a new camera. :D

- Lesse.. 2008: 7 dolls / 2009: 4 dolls / 2010: 8 dolls / and one doll this year so far.. buyng a Pipos Cheshire this monday. :)

- Remarkably good. Natural age yellowing since they arent exposed to the sun, very few damages, most with their fabric face-up in great states, and all despise I play with them regularly. :) Im proud of them.