1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

In a hobby for longer than 4 years? How is it going?

Mar 15, 2011

1. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      More than five years in my case. I fell for BJD by the middle of 2005 and I am a BJD owner since September 7th that year.

Did anything change? like the way you treat your dolls, etc
      Most of them are already given characters. The changes they suffered in their storyline, the changes I also have to make.

How many dolls have you got over the years?
      Twelve BJD (Ten large size given characters and two mini size own creation ones) and a resin pet. All they came to stay.

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time?
      Not very noticeable yellowing in my older BJD and none in my newest. Some old faceups have problems as I live in the coast.

2. In a hobby for longer than 4 years? How is it going?
      First heard about them in 2004, didn't get my first until 2006. I still am very interested in dolls! I'm a lot more pickier and critical of molds. Meetups have been giving me a lot of excitement, and inspiration from other bjd owners. It feels at this point I may (ideally!) be almost done with collecting. Yeah, we'll see how that holds up!

Nope. I still play with them, and want to have at least one out to look at. I don't take as much pictures, but it may be because I'm just lazy, and want to make awesome photoshoots, and I suck at photography. I still enjoy just looking at them with the same love as the first day I got them. :aheartbea I'm getting more into faceups, so it's something fresh to keep me involved.

I've got a herd of 14 dolls, and just recently sold one, which is a first for me.

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time?
      My first doll has yellowed, but it's most noticeable when he's wearing white. I don't really freak out about them yellowing, in most cases I find it makes them lovelier. Otherwise, the gang is holding up well, and would love to be more spoiled!

3. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Nearly 5 years

I still adore them and love the hobby even more than when I first started out. I've always perceived them as on-going works of art to spur my imagination and creative passions, and happily envision them as old friends...like they are somewhat alive, but still dolls. I still say, "So and so wants me to make her a new outfit." My entire family treats them this way...probably because they are set up throughout our home in special "display rooms" like works of decorative art, always in view. They just seem like part of the family.

I just ordered number 10 and I have now officially stopped hunting for new resin. My collection is finally complete. It took me awhile to reach this point however, and I've sold off about an equal amount over the years as I worked to refine my perfect mix. But I was gentle with myself about these things...I realized a certain amount of experimentation was just part of the necessary process for me to get where I wanted to go in this hobby.

My dolls are all in excellent condition overall. Many were bought second-hand in the marketplace here on DoA, and could have perhaps "mellowed" prior to coming here, but their resin is very even and lovely and I love them just as they are. None of my dolls, new or second-hand, have changed color since arriving enough to notice and have remained nice and even in tone despite being constantly on display and interacted with in my home (no box babies here!)

4. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I think it was about April time 2005, so quite a while now. For about two years I only had two dolls and that was it, but then suddenly it all exploded

The amount of dolls, as I said above, changed dramatically; particuarly when I became more active on the forum and learning about all the different companies and son on. I used to have the dolls just sitting around, but now they're in a cabinet and displayed. I was never particuarly interactive with them, but then I started to go to meets and had friends who did a lot with theirs so I was similar, it's kind of gone back to the previous where I don't do much with them; mayabe make clothes, do some faceups and odd photographs.

I think it's something like 27

A major problem is with Mae (ED Sooah) who I had to restring and she seemed to be all floppy, so I had to learn to do that. She seems okay now and stands which is good. I think Silas (IP EID RS Akando) has gone a sort of light brown instead if RS; which I think is because he was from the first batch. Everyone else seems fine I think. Snowelle (Soom Kyrie) could really do with a good clean and her tattoos redone. Two of them have lost fingers 1) to a careless person and a meet and 2) to a careless 2 year old (my own fault really).

5. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Since 2001 before you could really get them in America

Like almost everyone else I'm willing to spend more on the dolls and things for them.

I'm really picky so I've only had about 20 but I sold some. I have 16 now.

As far as yellowing, my oldest doll, a Volks Pureskin, is only slightly yellow and it's very even all over. You'd never know unless you'd seen her before. Aside from that I've only had to restring a few.

6. I guess this applies to me.

How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I have always wanted a highly articulated doll since I was a small girl, but I first became attracted to these dolls in 2002. I was finally able to purchase my first doll in 2006 and it arrived in 2007. I bought simultaneously a Mythdoll Yue and a Serendipity Sharmin (second hand)

Not too much has changed. I was able to convince my husband they need their own shelf. I tend not to sell my dolls, just give them a new face.

Five, the Aforementioned Sharmin (Laelia) and Yue (Iris), a Latidoll Rucas (Saotoshi), a latidoll White Sp Belle and a Fairlyland Puki Puki Mary.

So far I haven't experienced any yellowing that I can tell, not even my second hand doll.

7. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I registered an account on DoA in late 2006 and had my first doll in hand in February 2007, so a little over 4 years.

I don't do long involved photoshoots like I used to, now they come out for an occassional 1 or 2 shot portrait and that's it. I've also gotten pickier about clothing, wigs and eyes- I prefer for have a few really nice things instead of piles of cheaper stuff. I'm less impulsive about getting every shirt or prop just because it appealed to me at the time. My taste in sculpts has shifted, and I'm more meticulous about planning each character out carefully.

Currently I have 9 complete dolls and 3 floating heads, though one of the heads has a body incoming. I've also sold 4 heads that ended up not working out.

Most of them have mellowed and lost some of their pink tones in the resin but I haven't really noticed any severe discoloration. Two of my secondhand dolls were made back in 2005 and they look just fine to me. Some of their eyelashes came loose and had to be put back on, which really wasn't difficult. One of them has some headcap stains from a dark wig. My DoT boy could probably do with an elastic change as he's gotten very loose and floppy, but everyone else seems to still be nice and tight.
      So for the most part, they're in excellent condition. :)

8. How long have you been in the BJD hobby? A little over 6 years now. (Doesn't seem like it's been that long @_@)

Did anything change? like the way you treat your dolls, etc- Definately! :) I got my first doll while living in Florida and before I joined DOA, so I wasn't aware of the effects of the UV on resin. I took him everywhere with me, but learned pretty quickly after he started to yellow, to expose them as little as possible. I've also learned that while you shouldn't mistreat your dolls, they aren't as fragile as say, ceramic dolls, so don't be afraid to handle them! :) My tastes have changed too from the cute anime type faces to more realistic looking dolls. I also have learned that I bond better with dolls I already have well developed characters for.

How many dolls have you got over the years? 19 dolls total, but it usually stays at about 10 from trimming down my collection and reshelling some of my characters as better sculpts come out.

and the question that interests me the most:
      They're doing fine. :) Other than my first doll that I mentioned above, who I've since sent on to a better home, there's been very little yellowing. My two remaining oldest(Dollshe Husky/'05 Luts Breakaway), bought in 2005-2006 have mellowed to a nice creamy white color and don't look much different from when I bought them. With ocassional restringing and faceup changes they keep just like new. Hope that helps!

9. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I got my first doll late 2006, so about 5 years.

I dont like alot of the dolls I used to like. Especially the first doll I got, I really don't like her anymore. I also realized that you should make your dolls look how you want them to look...even if no one else likes them or comments on your threads. I tread my dolls pretty much the same. Also, it's definitely worth paying a little bit more for a nice quality wig. Shoes don't matter very much. Faceups, eyes and wigs, and sometimes the outfits, really make the difference for how your doll looks.

I currently have 2. My first doll I sold to get an SD then sold again to get the MSD girl I have now.

My MSD, a leekeworld mabel, is from 2008 and she hasn't yellowed at all. My yo-sd, a honey delf pudding from 2007, has yellowed -alot-. I took her to school with me and I'm pretty sure sitting outside at lunch made her yellow. But, I really love how she looks. She has a unique skin color and it looks good with her hair & matches her character.

10. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Nearly five years

I treat my dolls better than when I started

I was constantly changing them for the first few years before I settled. I probably have had about 50 different sculpts pass through my hands at least. Its only been the last two years that I found the dolls I own now.

I havent owned my dolls very long because dolls I had owned for two - three years I sold on and bought again in a different resin tone. I had WS before and they had aged to a nice cream colour, they didnt look bad! I have had some broken fingers but other than that they are doing very well.

11. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Almost 4 years :D

The types of dolls I go for has changed. I used to buy Luts dolls and now I focus my attention more towards the realistic end of the spectrum. I also don't get as much time with my dolls; I live in a tiny flat now I'm at uni so I can't bring them with me unless it's very necessary.

I only have 3 now (one I'm still trying to sell) but over the years I've owned about 10 different sculpts. Which isn't actually that many compared to some people but I don't have a lot of disposable income as a student. Really I'm trying to whittle it down to my perfect group so it's careful buying for me!

They're doing very well. My SooRi, who I got back in '07 is still in excellent shape though if he has yellowed at all I can't tell and have nothing to compare it to. My other two dolls are fairly new so they're looking fabulous :D

12. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I got my first doll back in October 2006, I'd been saving up for him since 2005 though.

I'm a lot less paranoid about something happening to them these days. I also don't feel the need to drag one of them around with me all the time XD

7. And I still have them all. I've also got a floating head or two hanging around the house.

My two oldest (bluefairy Niky and Dream of Doll Kirill) both have yellowing, my niky isn't that bad since he's yellowed evenly, my kirill however has yellowed at different rates so he's multiple shades now <__< Other then that they're all doing quite well.

13. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I found the existance of them 5/6 years ago. Took care of and played with other peoples dolls until i bought one in 2009.

Nope. :3

Let's see,
      2009- 1
      2010- 6 + 2 floating heads
      I've traded or sold some, so i only have 5 now and the heads

My first boy is yellowed, He was white skinned ^^;
      I took him out a lot, but he stays in the house now.
      My other kids are fine~ Holding real well.

14. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I consider myself part of this hobby the moment Raou showed me her first doll and that was.... What - 5 and a half years ago? After that I did a brave, yet less succesful attempt to remain completely uninterested in these dolls, which resulted in my own doll coming home five months later (or, as Niles Crane would have it: I boldly went where so many men have gone before).

Did anything change? like the way you treat your dolls, etc/

Right now I have 4 dolls and 2 heads. My first two dolls have been replaced, I think after a year, because I realized they weren't what I was looking for, but after that I haven't sold a doll since.
      I've become less worried about how one ought to play with these dolls: used to think you had to take them with you all the time - something I was uncomfortable with, since I'm more of a collector type of person than a role-player - and after these years I now know what customizing I do like, and what I like others to do for me (face-ups... *shiver* never again...)

My oldest dolls is from 2003 and though he has yellowed (only a little noticable when you hold him close to other dolls from that company with that same resin type), that yellowing has stopped. If I have to be honest I like his colour more than I like the colour of my newest doll, who's from the same company, but a year and a half old.
      My other dolls have also mellowed a bit, but not in a very yellowish tone.

I think these dolls will do just fine as they age. Even their face-ups, when treated with care, will hold for years. At least, I haven't had to change any of my dolls'. Just don't touch their faces.

15. Thank you very much : ) It did put my heart at ease! I keep looking at my fav boy and he yellowed slighly and it made me so worried. Its nice to hear that yellowing is not that bad and some people even like it.

16. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

since 2005, I got my first guy in November of 2005

Yep, I used to be constantly playing with them, dressing and photographing them, doing photostories, but because of drama in the community I withdrew from that side of things, I may get back into it one day, but for now I have other things to do. I have also found the way I treat the dolls has changed, I am less precious of them now, in fact if I am ill I even sleep with one in the bed (neither my current partner or my ex find this weird)

way too many, the current collection is in the low 40's, but I have rehomed and replaced at least 10 over time.

I take good care of them, keep them in the dark, so yellowing has not been a real issue. My CP dolls have shown the most, they all seem to be from the beauty green period, but I have treated them for it at different times and have not found it to be an issue. I recently sold my very first doll, before I did I gave him a treatment...I would say his yellowing was mild

17. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Nayo (full) and Lye (floating head) arrived in October of 2007, but my friend had gotten me into the hobby earlier that year.

I know how durable they are now, or at least the older ones. Not that I'm rough with them, but I used to be extremely careful with them so much that it made it hard to enjoy doing things with them (changing clothes, posing for photoshoots, and so on). I also have less time to 'play' with them now, but I usually use them as my models for my photography class.

10 full dolls and 4 floating heads

My CP Lu-wens from 2007 have mellowed out some, which I actually like better (they're normal skin and used to be super peach-colored), and my DM Pado from 2007 has yellowed a bit (he's white skin), it's noticeable to me but not terrible, and my mum said she couldn't even tell.The others haven't really changed much, but they're not as old.

18. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

Almost 5 years

I went from being very careful buying dolls with faceups I liked, to wanting to paint all of my dolls on my own, to even modding molds to make them more unique for me. I find I favor buying dolls second hand now, often in pieces (heads separate from bodies etc) rather than dolls straight from the company and I buy them with the intention of making them over completely. My aesthetic tastes have definitely shifted several times too. I used to go for more stylized molds like the older Luts boys and now I enjoy finding dolls with a more realistic appeal, like AiL & Migidoll and often from much smaller companies like OR-doll and Ariadoll. (Though I fall victim to the Soom monthlies every now and again.)

I'm circling the number 34 at present... I sold several but I still have more planned...

Depends on the doll. Many of them have aged gracefully to some extent. A slight yellowing but nothing that bothers me. I still have most of my original dolls from when I started. I have one of the early-batch CP BW Els from 2005, and he's just been repainted and is still lovely as ever. My limhwa girl in french resin has changed rather dramatically, but it's an even change so I don't consider her ruined or anything, just a different skintone now. For the most part, they just need the occassional upkeep--baths with magic sponge, sometimes I'll unstring them and soak their body parts in some diluted Dawn, restring them with new elastic, give them fresh coats of MSC and gloss if the sealer has rubbed off their faces. Lately I've been repainting a good portion of my crew to update them and make them more exciting to me again. (Or buying the more demanding ones new bodies). A good part of them have become like new to me because of it. It's rather lovely. I think if you're in the hobby for the duration, the dolls should grow and evolve with you, it's part of the interaction. :)

19. How long have you been in the BJD hobby? Roughly 4 years :O I got my first just before I came to DoA.

Did anything change? like the way you treat your dolls, etc I treat them with more care, yet trust that they aren't going to break easily (if that makes sense?) I'm definitely more comfortable with playing and fixing them :) Still haven't fixed what size I love the most (recently I've been branching out into different smaller sizes :O) but hey.

How many dolls have you got over the years? Uhhhh..... I had 10 different dolls (maybe more D:), but I've never had a large collection at one point in time. I sell them on if I feel I'm not playing with them enough, or not paying enough attention to certain ones.

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time? Ahhhh, my first ever doll, not so good. I didn't know better, so she's slightly yellow in thinner places (hands and feet are culprit), but overall she's still a lovely mellow colour. Tightened the string on her, so she poses much better now :) The others are in good condition, as I knew how to treat them properly XD

20. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

about 4 years. 8 1/2 months

Well im a bit less screamish, I change eyes yet I still hate to do it XD.
      I have taken my dolls outside a couple times now I really wish to do that
      more if I can. My taste changed ALOT, I went from being extremely close minded
      as I was raised in a way that my tastes are very picky. To a point where I still have things
      I dont like but im more overally accepting. Also I still am terrified to restring anything XD, wont
      try to do faceups I cant paint anyways > >, and I hate selling dolls more and more everytime I need
      to sell one.

Um geeze >< well I currently have 19 now, just sold one, one on hold, 2 more to sell XP.
      I have 2 msds ordered and a tiny head ordered. In the past I have sold several heads and
      a bit over 10 full dolls.

Well some of them had a re design of character and name change some are pretty much the same,
      I havent had severe yellowing or much yellowing at all, I havent had any chips or faceup issues,
      I have had a couple minior accidents but my dolls came out completely unscatched.