1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

In a hobby for longer than 4 years? How is it going?

Mar 15, 2011

1. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?I am a longtime doll collector and I've known about BJDs since Volks started with their big debut. I was familiar with their 1/6th scale articulated dollfie figures and they were my speed at that time. I simply couldn't justify the expense of a BJD until I was personally ready for it. I got my first BJD in spring 2005. That's 6 years officially since I bought my first.

Did anything change? like the way you treat your dolls, etc Not really. I still treat them with a lot of respect. I still buy eyes, wigs, clothes and shoes and change their looks, pose them, take pics when I have time. Only thing that changed was I initially claimed that I would never ever get into any larger dolls over MSD. I was just going to focus on MSD and smaller. I did deviate and I now have 6 SD but I don't feel the need to add more SD sized dolls honestly. I get tempted now and then but in the end, I would rather buy tinies. Tinies are still my main focus.

How many dolls have you got over the years? I currently have 79, most of them tinies (63) and 3 floating heads. I have only sold 1 BJD, a Bobobie Eric.

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time? My first dolls (which were Volks MSD Kohaku and Hisui, purchased new from Volks) have yellowed ever so subtlely and slightly but evenly. They look great color wise compared to an older Volks doll I purchased after them. Sure, my original BambiCrony misty rose elves are not the original bright pinky color they were when I first got them but now a pale pink. My other dolls are holding well, NS, WS, and tanned alike. I do have a dollroom and I do have it climate and light controlled so their exposure to sun is minimal. The only doll accident I ever had was dropping my BambiCrony Kumi and she got a chipped nose when she too a nose dive at a meet up. She got a bit sanded and buffed to even her nose out.

2. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I found out about and bought my first doll in 2001. A Volks SD Nana. :)

Did anything change? like the way you treat your dolls, etc
      Well, I don't get so shocked at the prices of dolls anymore. My Nana cost about $650 and I thought I was crazy for wanting such an expensive doll but as soon as I saw her in my hands I had no more doubts about my decision. Now sometimes I see a doll head or something for $250 and I catch myself thinking "What a bargain!" I can't imagine what I'd have thought about myself saying that before the hobby.

How many dolls have you got over the years?
      I'd say 25+. Many have come and gone but when I find that special one, I try to never let it go. While I didn't have my original Nana (she got badly damaged), I re-bought a Nana and still felt that old love come right back. I recently had to sell all of my dolls to pay a massive vet bill. Well, I sold all but one. My Volks old F-07 I owned since 2002, she is irreplaceable in my mind. It will take some time to rebuild my collection but I don't plan on leaving this hobby anytime soon (or ever!) :)

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time?
      Well, my old F-07, Pearl, is about 10 years old and she is very yellowed. She's a lot more of a creamier yellow, not too harsh. I still find her adorable of course. :aheartbea

Hope this helps you!

3. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

I've been in it since August 2005.

Yes, a lot has changed. In the beginning, I used to buy a lot of dolls, clothes, wigs and other BJD-related things. I also made plenty of photostories. But in the past 1.5 years, I've lost interest in BJDs. I like the ones that I have but I don't buy anything new.

In total, I've bought 11 dolls over the years. The most dolls that I had at one time was 6. Now I only have 3 left and trying to sell my fourth.

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time?

Most of them are doing pretty well. I'm sure that my CH Soye has yellowed a bit but I don't really notice it. I haven't noticed any yellowing on my Elfdoll piggy. My Narae Butterfly (French resin) has yellowed quite a bit but I keep her body covered up now. So you can't see it.

4. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I've been a fan for about four years now, but I've been an owner since May 2009.

I have 'ups and downs'- sometimes I spend days on them, sometimes they're just left in their boxes for a while. I have become a lot more comfortable with them (I'll attempt crazier poses, etc).

I currently have 3- two minis and an SD.

If they have, I haven't noticed! xD Two of my dolls had a pretty yellow tone [B&G and Luts] and I haven't had the third long enough to notice any changes.
      [As a note, this one- a DoD T. Too- came with a few extra hands and there is the very slightest difference in tone between those and his 'default' hands. He is third-hand, though!]

5. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      About 4 years now

I still handle them carefully, I still keep them in their boxes naked/bald and in the closet or under the bed. I'm starting to curve some of my spending just a little bit and I find myself downsizing a bit too...

too many...

None of them have any noticeable yellowing as I'm aware of...

6. In a hobby for longer than 4 years? How is it going?

I think it's going fantastic, i find it more and more interesting and appealing as time goes on.
      I'm also getting ready to set up a "dolly creativity center" somewhere in my room that'll be completely dedicated to making things for my dolls, and the supplies/sketches/what have you involved in that process.

How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

I've been in the doll hobby since i was around..... 13 or 14? (i'm turning 23 in june XD)

hmmm, I think as time went on, my dolls are getting more spoiled. My standards for what can and cannot be put into their little areas is getting higher (slowly). I started out having modestly furnished doll rooms and small wardrobes.
      But in the last few years i've become very finicky about details. Instead of being content with a place for them to "sleep" i want them to have more things to pose with, more places to do said posing etc.

thats a tricky question, for BJD, one, for all the others....like 30+?

My first resin is holding up beautifully, no visible yellowing yet.
      The first doll i bought after being interested in the hobby however is yellowing. I don't mind though. Her paleness before kind of bothered me. she had a very corpsey skin tone that while i loved her to pieces, i wasn't expecting. She now has a much more believable skin tone.
      So yellowing isn't' always bad :P

7. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      6 years.

I think a lot of things have changed, both for myself, and the overall community. Styles have come in and out of popularity, and I feel there's a mountain more choice for doll owners.

In terms of how I am as a doll owner, I am much more relaxed. I'm a typical 'nervous' dolly owner. But I am slowly getting used to things like doll maintenance, re-stringing etc. My outlook is shifting from treating these dolls as fragile, to treating them as something that requires maintenance to get the most out of them.

I currently have 8 dolls, with a 9th on the way. And I just realised how many I have! XD I have never sold a doll.

Most of my dolls are holding out fine. There is always a degree of what I prefer to call 'mellowing', hehehe. Fawne, my CP Lishe and my first doll, has a new set of hands and it's only slightly visible. On the other hand, my Unidoll UH-08 Gwilym is much more mellowed. But he's french resin, so that is to be expected. Even considering that, he's a nice even colour, so I quite like the look :)

8. How long have you been in the BJD hobby? -About 6 Years

Did anything change? like the way you treat your dolls, etc -I soon realized they aren't as fragile as I originally thought but I still handle them carefully, as I do with all things I love.

How many dolls have you got over the years? -More than I can count.....I change my collection from time to time as my tastes change.

and the question that interests me the most:
      How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time? -I store my dolls out of natural light and my doll area is kept dim most of the time....I have seen a little yellowing but nothing bad or *UGLY*

9. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I've been in the hobby since June of 2006. So I'll be going on for about five years.

I think the most thing that changed is that I'm actually trying to make my dollies look nice. I'm actually getting them clothes and shoes and whatnot to go with their personality and their character.

My first dollfie was a DZ Fei (which I still have this head -- cannot part from it). Then over the years I got one, then sold it for another, etc. I am currently on my fifth dollfie.

My DZ Fei head is doing well - though I'm still trying to "fix" him over years of horribly skills of removing a face-up. I don't think he has yellowed at all (kept him from the sunlight as best I could).

10. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I got into this hobby by accident late 2005, so it's been 5 years now...

Things changed rather drastically once I became more comfortable handling my dolls. I went from gingerly touching to "ruthlessly" modifying. But all in all, the way I see them as beautiful entities have not changed.

36.. O_o... and with the hope of growing... It was all very slow at the start, but once I really got into the hobby it was hard to stay with just a couple. There are so many different interesting styles out there... I want to collect unique dolls instead of sticking to just one or two genres~

A few companies that I used to love produced dolls that yellowed drastically over time, even without sun exposure. I'm saddened by this quality.. but there's not much I can do about that.

Looking on however, I do find that it is easy to over indulge in this hobby, where I could be getting too many dolls and have no time to play with them. I totally fail at self control in that regard, and wish I could plan my life so that I actually keep a certain amount of free time just for my dolls. Balance is very important^^

11. In a hobby for longer than 4 years? How is it going?
      I think its going pretty good =D

i got started in 03 just studying them but i didnt get around to owning one till 06

i am a little more careful with the faceups and whatnot

oh dear i think 10

Aaden is the most yellowed out of all of them but i dont mind it one bit he is still beautiful in my eyes :)

12. In a hobby for longer than 4 years? How is it going?
      i've been in it since around 2005. going good.

i took a break from about 08-10, i got married, had 2 kids, and needed my money and time for my babies. now my kids are 2 and 3 and i can spend money and time on my dolls again. They mostly stayed in their cases during those two years but they are out on display again and very loved. I probably treat them less cautiously than I used to, I know they can take a tumble and still be fine.

total 11, but i sold 2 back in 2006 and now only have 9. i am not happy that i sold those two [sold for money, was very attached] and i don't plan to sell again for money, it was devastating. i am now looking for those two molds again to rebuy for my collection.

Kimi [elfdol lydia] is the one i've had the longest and the one who has been outside the most, and I dont think she's yellowed, if she has its very light and very even. my BW Eddie [kid delf ani] has not turned yellow or green yet, so i think i'm good!

13. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I started getting into BJDs in '07, got my first in '08 so I'm aaaalmost nearing the fourth mark, but still haven't shed my newbie rank completely. It certainly feels like I've been in the hobby longer though.

I'm a lot less gentle with them. When got my first doll, I was so afraid of messing him up that I'd wash my hands before I handled him. Now I do my own face-ups, knock them off of tables, place them in potential disaster areas for photos... Yeah, I'm a lot less afraid of breaking them now that I know just how sturdy they are.

It started with just one, but I predicted I'd have more within a year. Sure enough, I got another and my friend gave me hers. o-o
      I'll start getting even more once I have my own stable source of income, but for now it's just the three and I love them dearly.

While my first has yellowed quite a bit, all three are looking better than ever. Two have custom face-ups I did myself and because my sewing's improved they're all way better dressed than they were when I first got them. The haven't shown any severe signs of wear and tear at all despite how rough I can be with them.

14. Aw, I just checked my join date [which is the same day I ordered my first doll and REALLY got into this hobby, as before I just thought bjd were pretty but didn't think about them much. Oh how times have changed. xD] and realised this year marks my fourth year. c:

Four years and about two months now~ [Tomorrow is four years and two months exactly haha~]

Well, at first I was smitten with my boy and wanted to take him on most trips and out for photoshoots constantly. I've calmed down since then haha~ I was also terrified of hurting my dolls, and now I've learned how durable they are and are much more casual and comfortable handling them. I'm still careful and take care of them though, obviously, I'm just not as scared of somehow damaging them now as I was then.

Oh, gosh. Well, I have six and two heads right now, but I've had and sold two dolls more in that time. Also I just bought a Seorin from the marketplace and he'll be shipped out tomorrow, so I'll have him in a matter of days, bringing my full doll count to seven. xD In the beginning I planned to have three, and that was it. Now I still have plans for at least one more, as well as a dream doll or two more [but I'll probably never be able to get them, so those don't really count imo].
      I'm thinking of stopping after I get a migidoll Ryu [who, when I have the money for it, will be my next one] but we'll see if that sticks haha~

Fantastic; they're still in great condition and the yellowing is so gradual you don't notice it until you get a new one from the same company; and even then they're not very yellow. Then again, most of mine are DODs, which are known for being pink, so I actually love how they look lightly yellowed. [When I get my Liam a body I'll be hunting for a second hand DOI body with lots of yellowing, in fact. xD]
      The only thing that I've noticed really wears down and all are the strings in them, and I've taught myself how to restring dolls so that's no problem. In fact, Satsuki [the first doll I ever bought] still has his his company faceup as I'm always sure to make sure his face is safe when travelling and take care to make sure it stays nice, so it still looks nice. Really the worst I've had is Satsuki falling, his arm bending weird when he did and he ended up landing on it and had some fingers break off. I simply got a set of replacement hands though so all was well.

15. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I bought m first BJDs in 2007. A Feeple Ashley, and an Elfdoll Soah. I joined DOA in 2009. Before that, I thought that I was some kind of loner in the BJD hobby. I was very happy to find out how wrong I was!

I have since learned that I don't care for the SD size. I'm more comfortable with the MSD or smaller sizes. They are easier to handle and pose, and not so heavy. I have since sold my large size dolls, and I have an almost exclusive collection of BJDs from FairyLand. Posing ability and proportional bodies are important to me. I treat my dolls the same as I have from the start; I treasure them. I love to paint the face ups more than buying a doll with a default. However, if I'm smitten by a doll's particular look and expression, I will keep the face up. I'm just as into my dolls as I was when I first discovered BJDs, maybe even a little bit more.

I don't know! I've sold several of them from when I first started out. Right now I have more than I care to admit to, and that doesn't even count the ones that my daughters own.

My dolls look marvelous! I don't see yellowing on any of them. If they are yellowed, it is even and very slight. My oldest MiniFee, who is three years old, has the same skin tone as my brand new MiniFee. My oldest Puki Fee is the same. I've had to re-do her face up because I loved it off, but that's all. They all look as wonderful as ever to me. I haven't had trouble with re-stringing problems or breakage.

16. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      4 years

since the first time i saw a doll many things changed. I worried about everything at the start, i did not know what to do, how to take care. and now I do make up, I sew clothes, I modify them. I can do almost everything! and I have no time for my own dolls ))) So many comissions.

*counting* 9 at the moment. And will be more soon )

Souldoll dolls are slightly yellow, Elysiumdoll head now is much lighter. Dollzone guys - no changes at all. All dolls are covered with Mr. Super Clear UV Cut, so, they are ok. I renewed make up of some dolls because it was old and with scratches.

17. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

First heard about them in late 2003, and got my first BJD in November 2004.

I've found the only thing thats really changed has been my willingness to shell out more money for quality peices. I used to boggle at paying over $30 for clothes and now i'd much rarther pay more and have something really special to show for it.
      I also no longer go to meets or take part in the community in any large way compaired to how i used to. I just dont have the time or inclination for more than a couple of posts every now and then.
      The way i treat my dolls hasnt changed at all, beyond being more confident with them and being more aware of how to maintain them.

I currently have 24 dolls - which include eight rolling heads/faceplates. I've sold maybe six more over the years.

My first doll - a Volks Tohya - is looking pretty yellow on his hands and arms, but his face has only mellowed a little. My Customhouse Han looks almost white skin these days rarther than his original normal but the rest dont look to bad for their ages... some have certainly mellowed out or gone creamy but others havnt changed at all.
      It depends on where they came from/how old they are really: My husband has a Volks oldskin Nana from 1999 and she still looks virtually new!

18. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

oh lordy 4 or 5 years...got my first one 4 years ago

My range of price for what I would pay went up >.>;....and I keep them in my family room on the mantle, they all upgraded from acrylic to glass eyes and have some really nice wigs :D

just two MSD's but as soon as I get a job I'm upping my price range/quality range and size to 60 and 70cm *dun dun dun* LUTS anyone?

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time

None! They're great! (they NEVER are in the sun except once for 5 minuets when I was at a meet up :D) annnnnd i dropped my first boys thigh during restringing and it chipped but i glued that bad boy back on.....

19. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

Got my first in the summer of 2005....

I had to remodel my living-room with more & bigger shelves to hold all the dolls I wanted to collect; I'm a much better photographer of them now; I have almost 6 years' worth of accumulated eyeballs, clothes, wigs, etc. to spoil the dolls with at any time; but I still don't balk at shelling out a hundred bucks for a fancy outfit when the occiasion warrants.

Still love the lot of them. :aheartbea

My white dolls did all the yellowing they're going to do within the first couple years of ownership, and they're a nice mellow color. I'm accustomed to keeping the whole collection draped, so both white & tan dolls have stayed pretty true-colored. And all the Volks Pureskin guys have aged so beautifully, turning the most wonderful rich ivory, like they're only growing more real.

No severe yellowing, no structural or resin problems. Just a couple faceups with shiny areas in the sealant (usually nose, forehead, & the facebubble-zone)... the odd manicure or tattoo that gets grungy & needs repainting... and a whole lot of elastic that gets all floppy over time.

20. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      since about 2004, but didn't get my first doll till 2006

My need to have others approve of my dolls, or what i do with them. I no longer care what others thing of what i do.

i've owned MANY dolls, but currently, i only own 9.

most of my dolls are holding up well. I do have one that is going to need a new body soon, as she was one of the first dolls i got, and her ankle joints broke, and had to be fixed, then her hands broke, and had to be fixed, LOL But so far, she's held up. You definately wouldn't know by looking at her that she had ever broke.