1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

In a hobby for longer than 4 years? How is it going?

Mar 15, 2011

1. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I`ve known and done research for 8 years, but owning one came around 4 years ago.

Did anything change? like the way you treat your dolls, etc
      I take my dolls out more than I used to, more than half of my room is doll-related with all the stuff I have accumulated over time.

How many dolls have you got over the years?
      I currently own 30+ 2 heads. I have bought and sold at least 10 dolls.

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time?
      The oldest doll I own has yellowed quite a bit, but he`s started to match my Volks Sasha who was made much earlier than him. My 2 year old WS dolls aren`t yellowing yet, and my NS dolls don`t look different at all.

2. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

I was first interested in 2005 and got my first doll in 2007~ :)

Well, I'm not a doll-noob anymore! I no longer care about fitting the doll into the character, and I would have to say I've developed a better idea of style all-around for the doll.

I've never had more than 2 dolls at a time. I've in total owned 8 dolls. They can be in and out very quickly, the longest I've owned a single doll was a little over 1 year. My first 2 dolls were higher-end but I didn't know how to style or take care of them... I wish I had them back so I could start over, haha. Sadly, I had to sell them to pay for college, and so now I have "cheap" dolls to keep me occupied until I can afford (without guilt) higher-end dolls again.

How are your dolls doing? Severe yellowing..etc. How are they holding over time?
      My first doll had yellowed from WS pretty noticeably within 1 year. My BBB isabella (that I have just sold- she was second hand and is a few years old) is a different tone from new BBB resin but it's not an ugly yellow.
      I usually have to do faceup touch-ups every 6 months or so.

3. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Since December 2005

I'm a lot less afraid of hurting one of them. I can fix it, if it breaks! When I first started I was terrified to touch them or kiss them in the face and hair. OMG, I might break them if I pick them up! Now if one falls down, I'm like, "You're okay, shake it off and stop acting stupid." XD

They're tougher than they look, and I'm pretty much 'rough and tumble' with them to a point, but they are my babies and they rule the roost.

>.>

I have sold only two, and they were tinies. At the time I was not equipped to deal with so small a baby.

Currently, the family stands at...45. Three of which are in transit. I ordered one from Dollmore and rescued two from eBay that are tiny babies in need of a home. I'd been watching them get relisted and I couldn't stand it. ; . ;

I'm a dolly hoarder. But considering that the majority of them are Tiny and can stack on top of the MSDs, it's not so bad! XD

Depending on the company\mold, they're not so bad. Some yellow worse than others. Some are a creamy soft yellow that's more people flesh than anything. Volks is good at this. My SwD Rengemaru is such a soft yellow that you want to cradle him for looking so glowy. In contrast, my Mythdoll is a sharper yellow, just as my first edition B&G Sandra because they were made with cheaper resin. They yellowed in a year but I love yellowed dolls. (I have yellow days myself, thank you liver. XD)

My oldest, my Kid Delf Bomi, did have to have his factory faceup removed and repainted. But so far I haven't had to do that to anyone else. However, a lot of them are hand faceups and a few are company. They do degrade over time due to heat, light, handling, and age. Nothing lasts forever. But their bodies are fine. Sometimes you do need to restring them if they get flopsy on you.

I've had one spider live in the leg of one of my babies. But it was mostly because I tried to keep the room too dark. You do need to keep them in a sunlit room, but keep them in a shaded corner. That keeps the bugs out of the room.

4. Oh! That's pretty crazy! But I guess it could happen easily enough. :nowords:

5. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I have owned BJDs since early 2007.

Nope. My view/love of the hobby hasn't changed.

I currently own three (with one on the way) and a floating head. Though I have owned a total of 24 different dolls in my time as a collector.

and the question that interests me the most:

If my dolls have yellowed, I haven't noticed. Even nude, my dolls are all even. But the only time they are ever in the sun is if I photograph them outside, and that is not often.

6. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

I've been active in the hobby since 2005, but I've looked at and admired BJDs for a couple of years longer than that.

I'm much more "hands-on" than I used to be. I do their faceups, I sew their clothes... On the other hand, I have stopped writing their background stories and things like that, it's just more about the crafts aspect of the hobby for me now.

Oh, that's a very good question... I currently have 28, but every year, as I have bought some, others have left for new homes. So I guess there are about 40 dolls who have at some point lived with me.

That depends a lot on the company! For example, my oldest doll is a Soulkid Tiffee from 2005, and if she has yellowed, I can't tell. The color is still completely even and nice.

On the other hand, I have a Domadoll Sanmaul (2006? 2007? I forgot) who was from the very first batch of dolls that Domadoll made, before they started adding UV protection to their resin, and he yellowed severely in a rather short amount of time. I think the problem might be that I took him to a meetup once and it was a sunny day... I don't go to outdoor meetups anymore for that reason!

Nowadays, I keep all my dolls on a shelf that's protected by a light-proof curtain. I think that really helps! Also, I give my dolls overnight baths in water with Oxyclean every now and then and clean them with a Magic Eraser.

7. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Five-ish years? Loved them in '03, but couldn't afford them until '06, and that's when I really went nuts in this hobby (in a good way, I think. I hope.).

I used to play with them all the time. I'd change their clothes at least once a week, take pictures of them often, hold their hands and sleep with them. Then it changed to just holding their hands when I was studying at uni, since I didn't have time or money for anything else. And now they're just nice to look at when I remember to think of them (every so often, but not all the time or even every month).

Three boys and a head. I always did intend on buying a body for that head, but... Oh, well.

Only my newest (a SSDF boy from Luts) shows any definite signs of yellowing.. But he seems to yellow by turning white *_*
      Other than that and a few loose strings... I'd have to say they're doing really well.

8. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I joined DOA in August 2006, and had been in the hobby maybe a month or so before that, so 5+ years

I've got most of the dolls that I wanted, and while there are a few more I'd like to get, I don't feel the burning need to get those dolls like I did when I first started. Of course, now and again a doll will pop up that I "really, really have to have!" but I tend to spend my money on clothes, wigs, eyes, etc for the dolls I do have.

I don't play with them as much but that's not unique to the dolls, I don't do a lot of what I used to do even a year ago. Time is gobbled up elsewhere :(

Fourteen, plus one WIP.

and the question that interests me the most:
      Except for my Yeon-Ho's body (which is not from Crobidoll) which is yellowing in a way I don't like, all the rest are fine. My oldest boys are my DODs Camine and Ducan and my IH Lion. They're all a beautiful ivory colour and all still have their original faceups.

9. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      First doll arrived in March of 2005. That makes it 6 1/2 years of doll owning right now(oh my god I almost can't believe it!!)

Oh yeah. I used to be a total "wet" doll owner. Now I'm a "dry" doll owner. I got into dolls during a difficult and tumultuous time in my life. They provided an outlet that gave me something to look forward to, to count on, to rely on. It became an unhealthy obsession. When I owned 20 dolls at one time, I realized it was too much. It became a strain and stressful just to look at them. I made huge cuts from my collection, even selling valuable and rare dolls that I thought I never would sell. It was worth it, it lifted a huge weight from my mind and helped me to enjoy the dolls I own now even more.

Now my dolls just sit on my dresser, looking nice. I no longer feel obligated to dress and play or photograph them. They are just posessions. Posessions that I really care about, but there's no stress or pressure attached to them anymore. They match my lifestyle now.

I currently own 9, and 2 heads. I've sold at least 15 dolls in my time, maybe more that I'm forgetting.

Most of them have barely yellowed, and I have dolls that are 6 years old. The one that's yellowed the most is my whiteskin Volks MSD. You can see his legs and hands turning yellow(he's almost always in shorts). But I bought him secondhand in already yellowed condition 5 years ago, so I think he has progressed slowly compared to his age. Overall I've been pretty impressed by the staying power of the resin my dolls are made of.

10. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Since 2005 but I didn't come across Den Of Angels or buy my first doll until 2006.

Not really, I tend to take very good care of my belongings.

I had three at one time but now I am down to one. Well... hopefully I can add a second one here soon.

Not sure as the dolls I do/did own were factory fresh or from sellers who took really good care of them.

11. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      A little over 5 years - when I signed up to DoA that was when I first got my very first BJD! But I was a fan of them in 2005 ^^

Oh man, A LOT has changed on how I treat my dolls now XD After I learned about yellowing, removing face-ups, sanding, re-stringing, sueding, and all that care-taking stuff, I consider myself still semi-experienced (there's still things out there that I don't know about)! But I'm more careful where I take my dolls now XD;

Hm... over the past years I've had maybe had a little over 10 dolls (including heads)? It's not a lot compared to others who I know who've had more @_@;;

They are doing fantastic =D! Majority of the time they just sit around looking pretty since I've ran out of time to actually do BJD things now T_T But they've yellowed with age - excluding the ones who have "old bodies" that I've bought off the MP! They still hold up well, elastic isn't dried out yet, so I think I'm doing a good job X3?

12. Oh wow, I didn't even realize how long it had been!

How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Had a little interest in the dolls in 2004, saw them a few times (mostly volks, i wasn't aware of other companies at the time) and kind of wanted one. Eventually come 2006 I'd gained a serious interest after researching more! So I've been in the hobby for 5 years now.

A fair bit. I still treat my dolls with a lot of respect, and in the case of my limiteds I try not to let them yellow or gain any scratches at all. My standards are a bit more free, I like to take them outside and take photos. I'm more experimental than I used to be. I also wanted every single doll I liked and I would make a huge list. Nowadays, I have very few dolls I would like and I'm not in a rush to obtain them, I'm comfortable in the hobby where I am. Thanks to this hobby I gained more respect for the value of money and a lot more patient!

Trying to remember! I think it's twelve? I sold 4 on and I currently own 8?

My oldest doll is as yellow as he can get. It doesn't bother me, I've taken him to some wonderful places! He's got a few scratches, had multiple face-ups, he's old and yellowed, so he's fun to be able to try the things I would never do to my other dolls on. But I would never get rid of him or do anything to damage him, I still love him very much, probably the most! My second oldest is yellowing a bit too, he's noticeably a different color to my girl from the same company (who has barely yellowed at all). My White Skin doll (my DOT Delphine) I've tried to keep away from all sunlight and I ended up treating her like she was made of glass, I take the best care of her I can!

13. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I think I've been in the hobby since either January or March of 2006? Sometime early '06 for sure.

When I bought my first (Mythdoll Leroi Snow), I could not afford to buy another bjd or even nice clothes. So I vanished from the hobby for about 3 years before coming back. I had been interested in getting back into the hobby a year or two before that, but things just didn't line up at the time.

I've kinda...lost count. Probably about 12? Though I never had them all at once.

I don't have any of my original dolls anymore. I'd say the ones I have owned over the years have done well, but I did buy one second hand with some yellowing. Right now I am trying to bond with my Delf Miyu, but if things don't work out...either I am going to see if I can trade/sell her for a Pukifee or just get out of the hobby.

14. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

Got interested in them back in 2007, and a year later I got my first boy in the spring of 2008

From being protective and thinking them fragile like porcelain I now know they can stand to be handled
      a little less careful as they wont just break by being posed around with.

11 and still incoming, sold off two as one character grew up on me and had to be re-shelled the other was just too small and was forgotten among the giants.

They've all yellowed somehow or other. But it gives a nice patina and life to the resin, even you change through the years and don't stay with the soft, light baby skin you were born with.

15. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Going on four years now I believe. Should be five come the summer time.

Well for most of those four years I didn't even have a doll. Last year I had two and sold them both this year. But I would certain say my taste has changed more then anything. One I sold because I needed the money the other I sold because I realized what I wanted and she wasn't it.

Two, both were previously owned by someone else. But I'm about to order my third this weekend directly from Iplehouse. <3

Never really got a chance to test this out...Both my girls were preowned so they were already pretty yellowed as far as I could tell. When I had to order a new foot for my puki that's when I found out just how yellow she was.

16. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I saw my first BJD (Blue Fairy Tiny Fairy May) in a Deviant Art picture in late 2007/early 2008. I joined DOA in February of 2008 and I received my first doll in May of 2008.

I used to carry my dolls all over the house and handmake them clothes. Now I mostly buy them stuff, and I usually don't tote them around the house. I was never willing to do faceups or restringing, but now I am much more confident handling them and customizing them.

I have no idea, lol! It gets a little confusing because I've sold the faceplate and gotten a different one for the same body more than once, too. I guess probably about 24 ish? But I have like 17 now I guess. My tastes bounce around and I am trying to zero in on which dolls are the best for me.

Some have yellowed, but the color looks nice on all of them. It's more like mellowing. I haven't experienced anything more than minor damage. Over all, they are looking great!

17. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      Got my first doll in 2006, so it's been 5 years.

I used to take a lot of pictures of them. It's still pretty telling who my first doll is. I have the most pictures of him out of all my other dolls. Hahaha... I don't think anything else has really changed besides that.

I've purchased 10 full dolls over the years. I'm waiting for doll another to arrive, but I'm only keeping the body. I've also bought a few doll bodies and 3 other heads for face-up practice, so running total is 10 dolls, 3 bodies and 3 heads. I've only kept 8 full dolls. ^^;;

My oldest doll is evenly yellow all over, but it's a creamy sort of color. Nothing like sunshine yellow. These days I try to keep him out of the light. I'm upgrading him to a nicer body and I know I'll be investing in a lot of dolly scarves to cover up the resin difference until I blush the body to match. XD;;;

My Unoas always had problems with resin matching even when I bought faceplate and body as a set. When I bought a new faceplate to mod, the difference was even more drastic. Thankfully, it's nothing a little sanding and some MSC won't solve. ^_^ Other than that, my dolls are all a-okay and damage free.

18. How long have you been in the BJD hobby?

I've been in the hobby for over ten years now. But that's not too say, I've been active throughout the years in forums and stuff.

Well, I can afford to splurge on more outfits for them these days. Other than that, nothing much has changed.

I have bought over ten dolls so far and I have sold two of them.

They're doing fine. One has severe yellowing from its previous owner. The rest look good to me. They're kept away from the sunlight whenever they're out of their box.

19. This is a great thread. I keep waiting for my interest to disappear, as it cost me way too much. Ha ha.
      And then I hope it never will, 'cos I have so much fun.
      Thanx for sharing, you 'experienced' owners.

20. I did a search and it said I had not posted, turns out I did on page 2. So sorry for the update. Guess search engine not perfect.

How long have you been in the BJD hobby?
      I started in Jan of 2007 so fast approaching the beginning of year 5.

I will admit I was nervous to even put on a wig let alone remove head to change the eyes. I have since learned how to restring, fix a loose lash and of course change eyes, wigs and clothes with no worries.

Over 300. I was such an idiot in not going to meet ups sooner, ask questions and see what was out there and ask questions. I fell for a pretty or handsome face very easy, only to have the bodies disappoint. I still buy to many and end up selling due to money. But I just ordered and paid for my last doll so I have to get smart as won't be able to get any more due to DH retiring.

My oldest is 4 years old now and he has yellowed but I could care less. He is my boy and he has gone on 2 trips to Canada and at least 4 states so He has been outside. My second oldest was a slow process, and only got his keeper body this year. He has been with me 2 years, but he hasn't yellowed as he never been outside of room. But the rest are 1 year or less, so not really any yellowing.

This has been the longest hobby since I collected Teddy Bears and made them. But I have made more friends as well as discovered my abilities to do so much. Once my remaining ones who are out for face ups, or bought & paid for arrive and get done I will have 15 dolls & each one will be very special.