1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

in an emergency evacuation would you take your dolls?

May 5, 2016

1. What a scary fire! We had fires around here last summer/fall, and it looks like this summer will be the same. Thankfully most of my dolls are really tiny so I can put them all in a backpack. This thread has made me give some serious thought about what I'd do, and I'm going to make an emergency list just to be prepared.

2. I have to say no. I have nostalgic items and memories that means more than my dolls. It's a wonderful hobby and they are art. But it is something I myself have engaged in, and not gifted to me by someone special.

3. I think about this quite often actually! I question whether or not if there was an emergency, like there was a fire in my house or my family just had to leave suddenly, would I grab my dolls and bring them with? I think that it would really depend on the situation. there are a ton more things I think that I would rather take, things that have memories attached to them like old letters or stuffed animals or my laptop or something. Part of me likes to think I would take my dollies, or at least one of them, if there was an emergency, but there are a lot of other things I would rather grab if I had to move quickly..

Such an interesting discussion topic!!

4. I saw the fires on the news this morning! So awful, and so scary. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected.

I hate to say it, but no, I probably wouldn't take my dolls. After my son, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and the hamster were taken care of, I'd focus on important documents, irreplaceable photographs and scrapbooks, my computer, chargers, and practical things like a few outfits apiece and our essential toiletries. Realistically, there wouldn't be room for dolls. I may be able to squeeze some of my tinies in around the edges of things, but in an emergency, I don't think doing so would be a priority for me.

5. That was a situation I had to face about 5 years ago, but that was before my dolls. It wasn't fire, but floods - and the waters went into our yard, considering thousands of houses went under altogether, we were fortunate in where we lived. I have to say, in those circumstances it's really hard to think clearly, but my first priority was me, and my cats. I think if I was faced with that again, I'd still put me and my cat first, but if I have to go and my cat was secure, I'd scoop up what I could (most of my dolls are on a shelf close to the front door), but I wouldn't go back for them at the risk of my life.

6. Dolls wouldn't be my priority in an emergency, but I'd probably end up taking them because I don't own a lot of stuff so they would fit easily in the car. In a worst case scenario, my dolls would definitely be left behind in favour of important documents and sentimental belongings.

7. If I was given some time to pack up I would take neccesities, my laptop, and all my dolls and figures. It's just my mom and me and we have a pretty big vehicle. It has two back rows that you can fold down so we could easily fit food, clothes and everything else we need. If it was a sudden emergency where we had to evacuate, I'd probably grab my purse and my two SD boys and possibly my yo-sd which I could throw into a bag as I'm heading out. They all sit by my bed so I could easily grab them all if I really had to.

I just never hope I have to choose which dolls I have to save, especially since my heads are packed away into boxes in my drawers for safe keeping.

8. I don't have kids or pets, so I would only have to take care of me. In order to take care of me, I need my dolls. I have a doll box in the craft room that I can quickly put them in in case of evacuation. I've been through enough tornados to know you always need an evacuation plan.

9. Family, pets and only immediate essentials, for example, water, food, and cat food! Sorry dollies!!!

10. That's a tough question! I think after getting the essentials (kids, cat, important papers, wallet/purse, first aid, water and a bit of food) in the car, if there was time, next would be a few changes of clothes, laptop, very important USB keys with my novel's contents on them, and possibly my husband's computer, and my computer. After that, if there's still time, and room in the cars, I would grab the dolls and my sketchbook.

11. I only have one 1/6 size doll at the moment, so I see no reason to not take him.

I could actually pack my whole room into my car if I put the effort in. Aah, the joys of living compactly~

12. I've taken two dolls into the family torando shelter however not all ten of them... But in the doll boxes I also had valuable rings, documents, heirlooms etc. I try to be prepared haha!

13. Gosh, best wishes to those in Fort McMurray and the surrounding area D:

I can't imagine, but my dolls would definitely be in the luxuries category, after food, clothes, pets, documents, etc. They'd probably even be after more portable family heirlooms and my baby brother's blankie/favorite toy. They would be at the top of the luxuries category, though. I only have a couple dolls and would probably choose them over any of my other personal belongings, just cus they're so personally special to me. So if it was a situation where I could stuff a whole car and pick and choose things, I could see myself taking at least one of my dolls. Stuff him in the glove compartment or something xD Idk, it's not a concern getting him into the car, but I'd worry about the logistics of dragging him around what happens afterwards. I could give it a shot. If it was a matter of running out, though, dolls wouldn't cross my mind.

14. Since I drive a Jeep Wrangler and the only living things in the house are me, my husband, the dog and a tiny snail, yes, I would take the dolls if I had an hour or more to prepare to leave. Grabbing the small aquarium would take about 30 seconds, and getting the dog in the Jeep is as simple as asking if she wants to go for a ride. That leaves a LOT of space in there and plenty of time to grab other stuff, so we could put computers, gaming systems, clothes and sentimental photo books/boxes in there. All 16 dolls would fit, easily. We're pretty minimalist other than those things, so nothing else would really be important in an emergency situation. The hardest part would be leaving behind all the doll room dioramas, furniture and props.

However, living in Kentucky, our most likely natural disasters and home destroying possibilities are tornadoes and sink holes. In either case, I likely wouldn't get enough notice to pack anything. If I only had a split second to run, the pets would be the priority. IF I could only grab one doll, it would be whoever was closest. If I had a choice, Parker. He's the main one and his head is modded and discontinued.

15. I sincerely hope no one ever has to go through this, and that everyone in Alberta can go home safely, or suffer from minimal damage. I just finished watching terrifying videos of Fort McMurray & I pray for everyone's safety.

I had actually never thought of this before, but I honestly think I would have to leave my dolls behind in such a situation. I live with my parents, sister, and dog (a big dog) and with all of us stuffed in the car, there is absolutely no space for dolls & other collectibles. If we had time to plan ahead & bring both cars, then I would probably put together a suitcase with clothes, memories, favourite skateboard, laptop & camera, and possibly, dolls. I collect a bunch of other stuff (Gundams, skateboards, magazines, horror mangas) that I would have to leave behind; they just don't have the same value (both sentimental & worth-wise) than dolls in my opinion. I'm looking across my room right this moment & feel so bad about having to leave my stuff behind! Come to think of it, I should keep a large bag/suitcase in my room at all times.

16. Like everyone else said, it mostly depends on how much time I have. I store most of dolls in their boxes when I'm not playing with them so they're pretty much ready to go. Growing up in one of the most earthquake-prone countries has taught me to be prepared for anything so I already have two large emergency bags sitting in my garage stuffed with water, dry food, blankets, hygiene products, cash, and everything else that might come in handy. Thankfully both my husband and I have fairly large vehicles so taking my dolls wouldn't be a problem. Of course my cat gets the priority in any emergency. She even has her own mini emergency bag. Again, I keep all of our important documents in one folder so I wouldn't have to worry about collecting them if I'm in a rush. Other than that I think I would try to save my laptop, a few items that have sentimental value... Everything else is replaceable.

17. If I had time, maybe (I will have only 10 dolls anyway.). But I would first and foremost look after my family and try to save e.g. our wedding pictures first (these can't be replaced, as they only exist on paper). But yes, I would cram the dolls into my big sportsbag, not taking care of faceups or further protection, and throw this bag into our car. Nothing else though, as I can replace all of their clothing somehow.

18. If I had enough time, I definitely would. It wouldn't be difficult to save my bjd collection, as I only have one so far, but my other dolls.... They would be way more difficult to save. I would try my hardest though to try to save them all, but only after I know my husband and my pets are safe. I really hate trying to imagine this scenario though, it's so scary to think about. ^^; A tornado actually struck close by not too long ago here, which is pretty unheard of in Florida, and I was panicking a bit over it hoping it wouldn't hit us, too, and I was already planning how to pack all of my dolls away.

19. i love the discussion we are getting. my brother and sil were up there and even though they had a couple of hours warning before they evacuated they froze and didn't even take some of the essentials. they had room in their vehicle and now that are away they keep thinking of sentimental/irreplacible stuff that they would have had room for, but just didn't think of. now it is all gone and too late.

i know in a regular house fire there is no time to save anything but people and then pets if you had them, but this was a different situation for a least some of the people. it's made my husband and i think of which stuff we would save, and kind of the order in which we would grab it. even though it's unlikely i am making a list and keeping it with my important documents so i wouldn't have to think about what to take, i could just run down the list grabbing stuff in the priority i've listed it. i have a smallish box of le dolls, and i store my important documents etc in that box in there so i could grab it all at once.

20. My answer is completely different now than how I would have answered a month ago before the sudden passing of my husband. As many dolls as I have and plenty of LE, unless I had significant time, I honestly don't think I'd take any of them. In the end, they are just things. I'd prioritize: my kids, pets, papers/documents, enough supplies to survive to get where we are going, and my laptop/collection of flash drives of our pictures. You can't replace memories that come with a history of family pictures and I am thankful I have a good amount of them electronically.