1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

in an emergency evacuation would you take your dolls?

May 5, 2016

1. If I had time to grab some sentimental items in an emergency evacuation, I'm sure I would take at least one doll. Really there isn't much that I would take with me. Also long as I have my credit card and passport, I can start over anywhere.

2. Living in Australia the first thing I did when I moved out of home was write a list of what I would grab in case of needing to evacuate and make sure that during the fire season they were either packed up or close to the door so I could grab them.

Basically it is as follows;
      My pet bird and her first aid/emergency kit
      Important documents and my bag with wallet, phone and keys ect.
      Laptop
      My two Norse God statues from my alter
      One hot toy, reborn doll and also my incoming bjd.

All these items pretty much fit in to one box (filled with emergency kit) and two of those cooler bag things and are already at the front of my house so I can literally just grab and go.

The hardest part of my plan is getting my rather excitable cockatiel in to her purple cage. But she's getting better as we do little drills each month to get her used to the flurry of excitement that she'll be exposed to if I do have to run. And it's pretty much timed down to under ten/fifteen minutes

3. If I had time, I would take a few dolls. I was actually in an apartment building that caught on fire, and we had to get out right away. I took my cats and my purse, that's all.

4. Oh my god that's my biggest fear with apartment buildings!! I get so scared going above the third floor :(

5. I would probably grab them in the wildfire situation... However, in the case where there is not time, I would not. This is why documentation and insurance is so important! Because this is a luxury item, you most likely can be reimbursed. However, you will have lost something you had a connection with. Nevertheless, safety for yourself and other people is more important in the end.

6. Aunt Bear, you have brought up one of the most important topics for discussion for some time. I read all the posts in this thread to my husband as he made notes on ideas on what to do in the case of an emergency evacuation. SilverHolly, I too, live in East Texas and have a friend whose entire rural area home burned to the ground in those fires. We saw some of them from the highway. Frightening! All the humans and animals were saved but the only thing found in the ashes was the bronze sculpture I had cast for her, the wooden base was gone of course, but the bronze was unharmed. She has rebuilt now, and better. We are currently, right now, waiting out the flooding, I have a pier home on a major creek, and water came up nearly 5 feet in the part under the house last month. We live on the second and third floor, with parking, storage, front entry, back entry hall, and dog/art studio on the ground floor. We moved the cars and trailer up the street, valuable things that were not stored high, to upstairs along with the dogs who alerted us to the situation. This is as high as it has ever been, not usual, and we had literally minutes to get animals and things moved. Now again, water back up, but no more than a foot, twice since Friday. We had just cleaned up since the flood last month. Once again we had only minutes as the water came up fast, but goes down so slowly. This is just a major inconvenience for us, for others will mean ruin and heartbreak.

We will be taking precautions with bug-out bags, documents including passports in an easily reached folder, copies of them and photos on thumb drives in the bug-out bags, which would include but not limited to meds, underwear, clothes change, phone charger besides the ones we keep permantly in the cars. Will have other boxes, bags downstairs with food, water, dog food and first aid, meds., toilet paper, disinfecting wipes, blankets, can opener, etc. the document folder will have a list of items to take as it not easy to always make the best decisions in times of crisis. Some of things to take, if there is time, as we would hook up the trailer, are the computers, external memory, phones, tablets, jewelry, a few heirloom mementos and perhaps the dolls. The dolls would be last on the list. We would need to take some of the cloth crates for dog confinement, X-pens, buckets dishes, their paperwork, and keep that up to date on the same thumb drive and external storage with the documents.

Water, lots of water, will be needed, as I remember the evacuations before Hurricane Katrina, Ike, people running out of gas, stalled on the freeways for a hundred miles or more out of town for many hours, no food, no water, no bathrooms. We live within 3 miles from one of those freeways, on the more or less outskirts of a major city, but after a little time, we could not have left if we wanted, traffic! No hotel rooms from Arkansas and Oklahoma on down. High water and hurricanes are bad, fire is far worse. Aunt Bear you have my sympathies, I hope the Canandian fires featured so prominently on the news are soon put out.

Birju-Lachi, you have it right, in the end it is just stuff next to our family members. I am so sorry for your loss. The Amphibian, you don't say if your family is still in your old home, and can send special items and heirlooms later.
      Still, we all hope to never need the insurance we buy.

7. I mean, unless I literally had to run out the door, I probably would. I only have one doll, it would take me less than a minute to throw it into my purse, along with my usb stick that has all of my art and writing backed up on it and my ideas notebook. Obviously things like our emergency kit comes first and such but I consider this stuff essential enough to me that I'd rather take an extra minute to have it with me.

8. If there's time, we'd no doubt have my suv and his truck loaded up. He'd have the dog in the back seat of the truck, I'd have the snakes with me (thankfully they're not ginormous and can fit in small-ish containers when the need arises) ... because if it was a pre-warned evac the dolls, the computers, my sewing machines, and probably his gun collection would be going with us after I fill the coolers up with whatever food and drink we have on hand.

Less warned emergency - we'd probably be good if I stuff the snakes down my shirt, get the dog leashed up and maybe remember grab my purse. Hopefully not at night else I'd have to be reminded to not run out the door mostly nekkid.

9. I would take my cat in the first place! xD
      But if I had time to pack full van with my stuff, I would take dolls for sure. I am not a type of person to own a lot of items, and always try to limit their amount only to useful things. The only exceptions are: my dolls, and teady bears, as I collect them. ;) I would totally fit all my belongings into one van. Not thinking about furniture, of course.

10. I wouldn't take all of my dolls, because I wouldn't have enough room if I only could pack a car full, but I know that there are three I would take without hesitation. I would bring Astraeus, Marshall, and Darius (Soom Heliot God Master, Heliot Dream Ripper, Ender Dream Walker). These dolls are all so special to me, and I would make it work to take them with. I also have some other Pokemon collectibles and Hot Toys that mean a lot to me that I would bring, so that would take up some room as well. If I had more time or was able to take a trailer, then I would definitely take all of my BJDs with.

11. It's a terrible thing but I have thought about it. I'd grab my childhood plushie who is irreplaceable, and my makies who being all OOAK cannot be replicated. The playline dolls, bjds etc, even the LE ones, they're replaceable but i'd be grabbing Makie tubes and RUNNING lol.
      Any dolls I could easily grab and fit i'd take, and my portable hard drive which has ALL our photos on it and family videos.

thankfully we don't own a lot else that's irreplaceable.

If we had to leave like NOW NOW NOW, once the kids were out, the only thing i'd HAVE to grab would be that plushie. I may even have to be restrained from running back into a burning building, that's how much sentimental value that damn thing has to me. He's 26 years old, he's falling apart, he's travelled the world with me and he is one of the very precious few belongings from my childhood I still have. We lost pretty much everything else when I was about 15, aaaand that's probably why I hoard things as an adult. *whistles*
      still, I intend to be burried with that damn plush. I shall clutch him in my arms till my dying breath damnit! rargh.

12. First my family, then my cat :aheartbea And then my dolls! Everything I love the most :) If I had more time, I would get my PC, and other valuable stuff.

13. I'm feeling sort of guilty, because the dolls would probably be tearfully abandoned if we could only get away with what we could pack in a car. Priorities would be the pets, photos and family heirlooms, computers, legal papers, basic clothing and health needs, and only then would I even think about toys. I might be able to stuff my YoSD in a pocket, but the rest wouldn't even cross my mind as pack-able in that situation.

14. I think past family and pets getting safely removed, the irreplaceable (e.g rare, old or customised items) which you'll miss and not be able to replace. So I'd be able to re-buy books and clothes, dvds etc but I'm pretty sure I'd rescue the dolls I have as they are difficult to source again., as well as a couple paintings I have from an artist I like.

(reads above comments) Oh, and important documents. Haha :P

15. there's no one in my home but me and my sister we don't have anything but our dolls so yes I would take all of our dolls no need to pack them they can fix right in the car the way they are. we don't have much of anything but our dolls pack some food and important supplies as well but we always have them right next to us so we have no problem with grabbing them and going .

16. While an emergency happening has crossed my mind, It would be almost impossible to take all or any of my 65+cm dolls. :(

Still I might be able to take 1 or 2 of my 35cm dolls.:)

17. I was that weird art kid in college who every single time we had a fire drill, I would grab my dolls and my laptop to rush outside. I would be in the snow with no shoes but I would have my dolls, LOL! Even now, if I had enough time, heck yeah the dolls are coming with me. I'm not overly sentimental about most things but my dolls and a couple things of jewelry that I've had forever and my laptop, maybe some books if I had time? And of course my beloved cat!

18. Yes I would take my dolls and whatever items for them that I could fit into my luggage (which would be quite a bit of it). I don't have a lot of stuff that is truly precious to me.
      In a situation as described, I would take my favorite stuffed animals, dolls and their stuff, my grandmother's jewelry, my computer and kindle, and all of the trinkets and cards my best friend has given me. The rest of the stuff I have I could stand to lose.

19. If I had time, yes I would. But most likely, I would simply rush to grab my cell phone and my binders with personal documents. They are top priority.

20. If a situation like that arose and I still lived with my family, I would probably only grab my limited and my discontinued boys simply because I can't replace them if they were to be destroyed. However, in that situation, my priority would be my family and our dog.

If I were to live alone, I think I could take all four of them. Me alone in a car is much easier to pack more stuff into than me and four other people.