1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

in an emergency evacuation would you take your dolls?

May 5, 2016

1. I live in Alberta as well, so this topic has been on my mind for a while! Depending on the time available, I might toss a doll in my bag even if it was only a tiny 1/6 scale, but ultimately my pets and all their supplies would be most important. (Followed quickly by cellphones, wallets, a laptop, etc.) I have a bearded dragon, a hedgehog, and a couple of mice, and my family owns a couple of parrots as well! While luckily all of our parrots have emergency travel bags by the door for this reason, they'd still take up enough space that I doubt we could even pack more than a pair or two of clothing each...

If I was in a situation where I lived with less people/pets, dolls would definitely rise to being high on the list. Even if I decided that I couldn't keep them all after, they're worth enough money that I could always sell some should I need to.

2. If I had time to pack the vehicle hell yes they would. I have a van so lots of room. Kids, cats, dolls lol

3. I only have one doll and none of the things I own are very precious. Everything is replaceable for the most part so I would definitely take my doll.

4. If it was an evacuation where I had time to grab stuff, then yes, I would absolutely grab my dolls (I've got five vinyl girls and one resin dragon). I'd shove them all into my duffle bag, wrapped up in spare clothes for me if I were short on time. If I had a little bit more, I'd put them in their own boxes using their own clothes as packing materials. Most props would be left behind in either scenario though. I'd also grab my computer, because my life is pretty much on that thing. The boxes, computer, and duffle bag would be held in place with whatever clothes I had time to get, shoved into the spaces in the car. XD (I live by myself with no pets currently.)

If it was more like, "Oh god the building is burning down right this second", though, I might maybe grab whichever doll was nearest, my portable hard drive, and my purse because ID and debit cards. But if I couldn't get to them then I would have to just leave and hope for the best. :/

5. Absolutely.

I live right in the heart of Tornado Alley. During the spring months we routinely have nights where a mound of bags and supplies sits piled by the back door just in case the sirens begin to sound and we have to run to the storm shelter. My doll always gets bundled up and included in that mound so that she can go with me.

6. We did have a fire here years ago but it was before my dolls...
      Now I would take them. I only have four, two of which have their own bags so I can just slide them in easy peasy. One is very small it could join one in the bag and the last one has some pillows. I have all their boxes so I would grab the one they all fit in and add cloths to the box to make the most of the space. Seeing as they are expensive and two were gifts they could be sold if the house was gone and we needed cash badly.
      I've also thought like this if I had to move out suddenly. I would take them, sell them if necessary for a new life.

7. There used to be mild earth quakes at my place once, it wasn't the worst experience and usually you just want to rush out and save yourself and the people surrounding you.

8. I live in New Orleans, so this thought has crossed my mind quite a bit. With 14 dolls, I don't believe I would take all of them in an evacuation. I would possibly take one or two extra special ones though. As I am more likely to be evacuated due to hurricanes, I would have the time to select somewhat carefully.

9. I'd say no, they are just dolls, not real people, that's the way I feel on the subject.

10. I would leave my dolls. I have a cat to worry about and I would take my 6 or so stuffed animals from childhood, but my dolls are insured and (sadly) not that important in comparison.

11. Hmm.. I don't think I will remember to 'save' my dolls. I keep them in cupboard (and hope they'll be okay) but the most important is save ourselves and pets ;)

12. In a situation as described in the first post, yes. But I don't have a lot to bring anyway. In a case of get out asap I would leave them behind. Dolls are replaceable, my life is not.

13. I will definitely take my grail doll with me if I have at least ten minutes to pack, and if I have more time, I will definitely take all my favorite dolls.

14. Well... as the number of my doll crews grows... this matter does concern me. I would totally bring my dolls, but I still can't think of how will I take them. Most of my dolls are SD :nowords:

15. I have 4 light vinyl girls, 1 tiny and 1 MSD girl coming in, so they're not really heavy to carry and I'd definitely take them with me. If I had 10 minutes to pack, I'd also get my camera, laptop and the light box with all my dolly stuff :lol: Besides some clothes and medicine of course, that would be priority number one, together with the dolls.

16. I thought about this before and I decided that I would take my dolls. But who knows? I might forget to carrying them when I'm terrified... :doh

17. As far as importance here is the pecking order for emergencies: child, dog, purse, then dolls. They are close to my front door so maybe the child in my arms could grab one as we're running out.

18. I hate to say, I left my BJD family behind and would probably do it again. I live in So. Cal so fire it a very dangerous thing. I've grabbed my family, my pets, a couple of clothes, a couple of photo albums, and my emergency pack and left. I've never been in a mandatory evacuation but I've been in a voluntary one.

19. If I had time to pack I would take them - otherwise, I'd grab my four cats and if there was time I'd try to take my photo albums - especially the ones with older photographs of my childhood.
      Next on my list would be the external HD that has a mirror of my computer HD (it's not up-to-date, but it does have a lot of photographs and documentation I'd hate to lose).
      BJDs are for the most part replaceable. I have a few LE dolls but even those aren't rare...

20. Hmmmm... Between my husband's armour, and weaponry, the expensive equipment we've acquired for reenactment events over the years (pavilion and medieval furnishings etc) all the costumes, the books, his art studio, and both our various collections of stuff... Even with the rear five seats removed and the roof box on the car, we'd have trouble fitting in everything we'd want to take. My essential clothes, shoes, and toiletries would only take up one (large-ish) suitcase, his... well it would take a lot more space than that for his.

As to which dolls to take - I can't make decisions on the best of days, so under pressure would be impossible. I've been collecting dolls since I was a small child so there's more than just the 50 or so BJDs. Then there's the bears to consider, and our sewing machines and the photo albums.... Yeek!

I'd probably barely hold it together while he went to pieces, and we'd end up just taking the first things that came to hand and could be stuffed into the car in a panicked rush. Whether any of those would be BJD's would be purely a matter of chance (and whether any of it would be "essentials" would also be subject to random chance)

Teddy