1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

In love with a discontinued sculpt

Jan 26, 2017

1. Nearly all the dolls on my wish list are discontinued ones.
      I am patient though. It took me two years to track down one (Luts Dark Elf Soo, normal skin with default faceup), six and a half years to find another (Luts Kid Delf Ttori Elf girl, normal skin with default faceup), and recently got a head that had been discontinued nine and a half years ago (Kid Delf Ani Elf, white skin with default faceup).
      I also have another doll I spent three years piecing together via the market place (Soom Ai/Glot hybird).
      Tracking things down second hand makes them more special I think.

2. I fell in love with volks msd f-12 (without the terrifying faceup of course):eek: , it's pretty much impossible to find one now , unless volks decides to include her in FCS again. My 2nd fav discounted doll is a Leeke Mikhalia, all I can find are fricking recast tho :evil:

3. I've fallen in love with discontinued sculpts twice, and both ended in radically different ways.

*The first doll I fell in love with was Soom Laon. He had such a sweet face, perfect for the character I wanted to shell. Unfortunately he was discontinued and my search on the Marketplace was fruitless. So I did the next best thing: I found a doll with a similar aesthetic. THAT was tricky, but I eventually found my perfect substitute. He became my first on-topic doll and I wouldn't trade him for gold. I still have a soft spot for Laon, though; every time I see one online I make it loud and clear to the owner that I love their doll! LOL
      *My second experience was with a Fairyland sculpt, something that the Marketplace always has. The sculpt in question was a Juri 2013 and within two weeks I'd managed to find and buy two heads.

So it really depends on the sculpt that you want. If it was a popular sculpt from a popular company, your search will be easy. If it wasn't popular or if the company was smaller (or long defunct), your search will be hard...but more rewarding when it finally does pay off! So don't give up your search, unless you take the route I did with Laon. Odds are that one day it'll pay off.

4. Don't give up! I fell in love with Iplehouse's Freezia but the d/ced her before I could buy.

Got a Freezia with the wig I loved on her from a lovely woman in France. It still had a mint original face-up and she had the certificate so I could confirm authenticity with Iplehouse.

I had given up looking for over 2 years when I found her totally by accident. It happens.

[​IMG]

5. And don't forget you can put a WTB thread in the MP. Sometimes you can find a doll that way. :)

6. Both of my dolls and the third one, I'm in the process of getting, are discontinued fellas as well as the ones on my wishlist. My first doll, I missed the opportunity to buy him by 3 or 4 months, found him months later on the mp. (Then years later switch released a new version of him!) My souldoll was one of those fantasy limited types that I ignored because the price for popular dolls were $$$. Added him on the wishlist anyway for giggles and found him on the mp years later so I'm his 3rd owner:hug:

:D My recent wtb post, thought no one would reply but it was immediately answered so be patient cause I know eventually you'll find them or be rereleased.

7. It just happened to me several days ago. I've been following the (now possibly defunct) Fantasia dolls on and off ever since they started, but it was more for their muscular female body. I originally didn't give their sculpts much thought. However, I've been looking around for angular female sculpt candidates in which to reshell my female character, and owner photos of Vivian in Flickr shot her up to #1 on my list.

I was thankfully able to secure a sale for a Fantasia Vivian head on the Marketplace shortly afterwards (the last one I found there). It's really a shame Fantasia has been bogged down with so many issues since they started. I didn't expect to fall in love with one of their sculpts after their official website had gone.

8. I ended up falling in love with a sandy brown Yeon-Bee after finding photos of her online...only to find out she'd long since been discontinued...:roll: Luckily, I found her for sale secondhand on the marketplace here on DoA and I was able to snatch her up! Her previous owner had taken SUCH good care of her that she's basically like a new doll!!

9. Always have money ready, just in case! Scour the internet for second hand dealers! If that doesn't work, pay someone to face up a doll to look like that limited edition you wanted. Just buy a similar head and body! Have someone sew you clothes that look like the limited edition. Or do these things yourself if you can, it is cheaper. Of course, if you ever sell a doll like that, make sure you state clearly it is NOT a limited edition bjd, just a custom!

10. Sometimes, the sculpt in question is so unique, that's just not possible. While I recently managed to acquire a sculpt I loved at first sight (ImplDoll Miguel the Demon Hunter), he's very different from your typical doll and without prodigious use of epoxy and a dremel (and even then I'm not sure that would be enough) you'd have a hard time coming close.

There's another doll that I'd love to have that just popped up on the MP but due to the hideous Canadian dollar, I can't afford him. While I do have a nice bit of change in my dolly funds account, I don't typically have $1,000CAN just sitting in there, waiting.

Patience is definitely the key. It took me 7 years to find the right Miguel at the right price. There are only 100 of him worldwide and I got him in the grey resin I wanted. Unless the sculpt was a one-off, chances are you can eventually find what your little heart desires.

11. I know the feeling. My number 1 doll I wanted to get for the longest time was Dollzone Annie, and now my wishlist includes D.I.M. Larina, Peaks Wood's Romantic KoonieS, and basically everything from Little Rebel. For the Little Rebel sculpts, I'm at least lucky that they get re-released every so often, but with the others... Well, I'll just have to do what I did for my Annie and stalk Instagram and Tumblr and every other site I can for secondhand sale posts.

12. I know the feeling. You just have to be patient- I'm still waiting for some of the discontinued sculpts I love to pop up.

13. With the time-sensative nature of this hobby, I think its almost an inevitability to fall in love with a limited/discontinued doll. I felt a bit heartbroken after seeing Doll Chateau's Xaviera. She so, so lovely, and she was a limited summer event doll from last year, before I joined the hobby. Then again, like @purple_monkfish said in a previous post, she has a pretty steep price for such a small doll. I'd probably just be in the same situation even if I had joined sooner!

Like everone else is saying, keeping your eyes peeled for a secondhand doll or a limited rerelease is all you can really do. Although it may help to tag the company on social media to show your interest in the limited sculpt. If the sculpt is popular enough, then who knows!

14. I fell in love with Doll Chateau's conjoined twins Debbie and Caroline. Ugh so gorgeous. I wish they'd consider reselling her. I sent them an email and they replied that there wasn't much need. Sooooo I tend to lurk various market places for the hopes that someone will be selling one. But I'm also considering making my own sculpt or modding two different dolls to make my own conjoined twins.

15. I'm completely in love with the Fifth Motif Venitu, and had evern ordered one, but had to cancel my order due to a minor monetary emergency. I was so close to having my grail doll and now I don't think I'll ever be able to get him.

16. I loved and wanted a Volks Andolrea U-Noss, Seina, full set, eyelashes unsanded. Difficult to get when new due to limited numbers, batch ordering, long waits and being sold through Volks Japan by in-person ordering only. They aren't ultra-rare on the second hand market but they aren't terribly common either. The thing is, many people hated and sanded their moulded eyelashes off so finding a full set in decent condition with the faceup is usually either a long waiting game or a jigsaw puzzle of buying pieces. When these dolls go into collections, they often tend to stay there.
      I was very lucky and ended up with an Aika (identical sculpt) full set, all of Seina's items additionally and a few of the extras made for them (cat set and maid set) when a doll collection was sold after the collector passed away.

My best advice is to watch the market even if you can't afford something now so that you are ready, always knowing the going prices and availability to be able to jump in with your offer when the time IS eventually right. If you are prepared, you have the best chance when your doll lucky stars line up and throw that rare one your way.

17. I first "seriously" started considering buying a doll years ago... and at that time, the first versions of 5th Motif Venitu were being released. I couldn't justify that purchase then, however, and now it is no longer made. :( One day maybe I'll find a pre-loved one...

18. Yup! One of the first dolls I fell for had long been discontinued, the second was a limited that I managed to snag seconhand. And I still have two more on my wishlist so far that have been discontinued: dollzone Anson and Heavy Rain.

19. Falling in love with a discontinued sculpt is the most painful feeling in this hobby. I managed to get a discontinued second-hand head for my first bjd and a few months later, the doll company decided to re-release the sculpt after five years -.-"

I still have one on my wish list so I am hoping either I can buy from an owner or getting a re-release which is highly unlikely.

20. I hate limited edition clothes being discontinued, RIP </3