1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Internal organs, for realisms sake?

Mar 25, 2009

1. o___o; To tell the truth, I'm a bit frightened by this idea. Dolls get taken apart QUITE a bit. And though they're expensive, people of all ages play with them ...so not sure if it's exactly appropriate, especially when they're squeamish. I'm not, however. Though I don't want to see and or visualize something so grotesque if I ever have to take a doll apart. I like hollow things. D8

2. I see no reason, it's a bit foolish sounding. A trinket inside that means something to the owner, sure. That's something sentimental. Detailed organs? Why would that matter? Things like nipples and fingernails are sculpted because when the doll is nude, it should resemble a human being - and those are just physical, exterior details. The only time you see someone's organs is if they are dead, being operated on, or have some disfigurement. Not to mention it would get in way with stringing and articulation.

3. Why do I suddenly have the urge to put a toy brain in my girl's head and get a picture of one of my cats eating her brain? BRAAAIINNNSSSS!

I like the brain idea and i think the identifying hearts is a really cool idea. Otherwise, unless it's a visible mod, I don't see the point of organs that wouldn't be seen and would make stringing and the like difficult.

4. No offence... but I think the idea is pretty impractical...
      There are already thick elastics in the torso of the doll so there wouldn't be too much space in their for internal organs, nevermind putting them in the right place....
      As for the head....I think there are already enough things in their heads (eyes, S-hook, putty, elastic knot) I really don't need more in there just to make it realistic.
      Dolls are not humans to begin with and I don't really see the point of trying so hard to turn them into one

5. Well it is a rather interesting idea, but it seems a bit impractical (as mentioned above). I already find the prospect of restringing daunting enough (I have yet to try it) but with the idea of having organs in them it would even make it more difficult, not to mention rather disturbing.

However, I do find the idea of a little fake brain in their heads rather amusing (and I may just have to try it). I personally would git a big kick out of showing people my dolls brains. :) Although they think I'm weird enough as it is...

6. The closest I can/would come is this:
      I'm modding one of my dolls to have no skin on any part of his body, so all he is will be exposed musculature and organs (he was an anatomy model that was brought to life by a mad scientist). Not messy gore, no blood, just muscle structure, ligaments, a few places of exposed bone, and cutaways to see his brain, heart, lungs, and possibly intestines. His name is "Viz," nickname for "Visible Man"

7. I like the brain and heart ideas, but I don't think I'd like any other organs inside my [future] BJDs: The organs might get in the way of the stringing, and I'd worry too much about them rattling around and rubbing against the insides of the body. But I admit, this organ thing is an interesting concept, and I'd be interested to see a doll like this!

Just a thought, but perhaps instead of being separate pieces of resin, the organs could be carved into the inside of the torso...? :sweat

8. I would not like internal organs in my dolls.

9. Kinda pointless unless you plan on cutting unnecessary holes in your doll. There's a reason dolls are hollow. If they're all stuffed up it will be harder for the elastic that is inside them to move around and shift like it should so that they can pose.

For a stuffed animal, it's a cute sentiment. For a bjd, silly.

10. Hmmm, as someone who has had to dissect a real human body for school, I would say that "no", I would not like a doll that has the internal organs. It just brings back too many memories of anatomy. My dolls are dolls and I like knowing that they are dolls. For me, internal organs are just a little too realistic for me. If someone else wanted them, though, that would be great for them. Hey, remember the company a year ago that had the male organs that actually, well, anyway....

11. Ahh, ah my house goes down these roads over and over.
      My dad, whom has the intellect of a 13 year old boy, has taken a bunch of the same type of putty you put behind their eyes, and made my Danny a brain because when his headcap came off, he saw there was room in there for a little brain. :doh

And of course, I've always thought of maybe taking a paint brush and painting a heart on the inside of Danny's hollow, though I would probaly mess up, I would love that! :aheartbea

12. I like the brain idea, but frankly why would internal organs lend realism? I mean why would a "person" ever have their internal organs showing????? Unless they're dead of course....

13. Oh my gosh, no

14. Hehe, exactly! It's a bit creepy really.

15. Ew. No. I think that is just gross.. Id be completly grossed out if they had internal orgens in them, I think its taking realisim a bit too far.

I do like the idea of a little heart though, not a realistic one, but a stuffed heart.. I think it would be kind of touching.

But if people did try and stuff their dolls with fake little oregans.. got to wonder how it will effect the mobility of the doll since it would get in the way of the elastic.

16. I think the thing about putting hearts and perhaps even brains into dolls or other toys is that, as the seat of reasoning or feeling, those particular organs have an emotional significance for us outside of their status as important parts of a functioning human body. When people put hearts inside their teddy bears, I doubt most of them put something shaped like the actual muscle that makes your blood go--I'd expect most of them put one of these in :aheartbea, because it's about the symbolic value of allowing your doll to feel. The kidneys, on the other hand, don't have any particular importance in most of our cultures (and if you come from a culture where they do, I'd love to hear about it!).

In fact, I think that all the things we think of as "realism" are on some level actually more connected with what's emotionally/culturally significant to us, rather than what accurately depicts a human. I find that many dolls have severely distorted body shapes--going beyond the unavoidable elongation and exaggeration that serves to make the dolls more beautiful and ethereal, I see a lot of dolls with strange rib placement/detail, a bizarre curvature from the belly to the pubis that just doesn't occur in a normal human, perfectly round/straight legs, etc. that really are not realistic. But we don't, by and large, pay attention--instead, little things like the doll having all the external parts, including finger and toenails, belly buttons, and bum dimples, are the things that live in our minds and make us say "but these dolls are so realistic!"

So for me, it seems obvious that most owners will not want to give their dolls internal organs, since even the most realism-loving among us are looking for symbolic realism more than actual realism, else we would be collecting medical education tools and not ABJDs!

(Of course, that said, I do plan a ghost doll down the line who will have some internal organs showing, though probably in a trompe-l'oeil painting style rather than actually carving up the resin.)

17. Yeah I'm not too crazy about the idea. I don't open my dolls up enough to care what's inside of them.

18. I'm curious about this too, especially since I have a Souldoll, but it seems they aren't doing it right now. Does anyone know anything about them?

19. I think it'd be pretty cool to have them not internal, i.e. extreme gore mods of organs falling out and what not. That would be something new and interesting.

20. i wouldnt get organs inside my dolls... it would be too complicated.. and they seem to work perfectly without them haha..
      (magic?)

anyways, if i got a doll who needed someting shown like scars etc... then id get that onto their skin (ive seen some amazing ones)... if someone did, id like to see it ...like an open type of chest plate... ohh thatd be cool.