1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Intra-group Bitching about Limited Dolls?

Mar 30, 2008

?
  1. Yes, directly (comment to elaborate).

2. Yes, implied (comment to elaborate).

3. No, but I've always felt there is a general attitude towards those with limiteds.

4. No, never.

5. I don't have limiteds.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. We joke in our little group about the dolls, but we know we're all kidding when we say we're going to dollnap the doll. So far, all I have ever heard is joking.

Now I don't post pictures of my Elf El or my Harang or Elf Chiwoo simply because I don't have the time and they don't come out that good anyway, I don't think. Besides, they'd get buried quickly.

2. LOL......lifts the rock over your head, now you can come out! XD

I also think it's really up to you whoever you want to own. Limited or not. It is your money, why should others tell you what to do with it? ?_?

I also really do enjoy seeing people post dolls that I want but cannot get my hands on (that way I still get to see them very often!) ^O^ :love:love

I have been bagged on for having many dolls (not DOA) and people question my finances (how did she get to buy all that etc etc). :?:?

I don't let that get to me. I still love them regardless of what people say............it is my life, not theirs.

But there have been times where I see a limited full set for sale that I want to get my hands on, and then just split the part, keep the part I want and then sell off the rest. And then I think to myself long and hard: is it really right to do that? Am I taking the chance of someone owning a full set away after I buy him? So after that I decided NOT to get him and instead try to wait for just the part I want to come up in a separate sale. It sounds silly I know.........my friends tell me I think too much. But it is how I feel about it. :sweat:sweat^^

3. I've heard of this! It's with certain limited dolls such as Bermanns, Woosoo etc etc. I think the stating the whole "it's your money do what you want!" is kinda a duh statement to bring up.

But yea, I don't have any limits myself but I've heard of people getting harassed for having two of certain kinds. Personally I think certain owners bring it on themselves and go about bragging and such and make an unnecessary big deal about said doll. But what can you do? People are always going to talk. ;)

4. Heh... I was accused of "showing off" once upon a time just because I had an artsy signature graphic (A graphic that included images of less than half of my crew. 'Some great "showing off" job, that. :roll:), so what exactly crosses the line from normal activity to "flaunting" is a pretty low standard in certain circles.

That said, I've never been snarked at specifically because I own a few Limited sculpts... I've been told that I ought to give them to someone else because I obviously didn't "need" them, but that's about the extent of it. People who want to take shots at me usually seem do prefer doing it over the collection as a whole, not just the Breakaways or the elves or whatever...

5. If you have the money, you can buy as many limiteds as you want. You have no obligation to anybody. That is absolutely absurd.

People grumbling about others owning dolls they can't afford are generally just jealous. I can't think of any other reason why it should make any difference whatsoever.

6. I've never noticed, I only own one "limited" (school-C) and I'm always like "oo pretty!" no matter what limited it is. I don't really care or remember about the cost when I go to meets or hang out in doll circles.

I did get a little flack when I bought a Softly She Walks outfit on auction once from one of my friends..she gave me the "MY dolls only have one outfit each and look what your doll gets!" line 0.o but thats it.

7. At one point in time I had two black shalls (DOD) and a few people didn't say it directly but they just couldn't seem to get over it (in an unhappy way)

Other than that I don't think there's a problem, although I do feel it's a little odd when someone owns around 10 dolls who are ALL very limited and they're always the first ones to get the next big limited that comes out. They just seem to have an air about them...

8. After attending a doll meet organized by another doll forum, the administrator of the forum left some unpleasant comments about me on her LJ because I owned a Jun Tachibana at the time.
      She was going on for a while about how ridiculous I was to own such an expensive and limited doll to all of her friends, most of which were also members of the forum.
      It was a saddening experience for my first doll meet-- I really got shit on by about 3 people there for owning Volks limiteds because they assumed I was an elitist, which I am not at all!
      All BJDs are expensive and I've been in the hobby for 5+ years, so I know what I like and I go after it. I can't really apologize for that.
      I don't say such mean things to others about them and their dolls, and I don't go around thinking I'm better because I have such and such a doll.
      I wish people would get over it. They're dolls, love the ones you love.
      And be kind to your fellow doll members, their dolls hold meaning and it's so insulting to agonize over the price and limitation in front of them.

9. Oh my gosh that's horrible! *_**_*

10. How... sweet. And to see it be the admin of a forum is even more obnoxious. I'm sorry you had to experience that!

I've heard of griping again with twins of a lmtd mold, but to be griping over a lmtd altogether?! That's even more unreasonable to me. How childish.

11. My first doll was a Dollzone Ying but we didn't bond so I sold him. The first true boy I bonded with was my Elf Yder head. I didn't know he was a limited when I purchased him from my friend Aiko-chan here on DoA. At my first meetup I commented on how I was planning his faceup and a woman there scowled at me and looked like she wanted to yank him out of my hands. Instead she made a rude comment about 'why do idiots get the good dolls?' While the comment may not have been about the fact that the elf version of Yder is limited I felt it partially was after I learned those due to the whole 'good doll' portion. *shrugs* I just avoid her now when I see her at doll meets.

12. I own limiteds, but I bought them because I liked the sculpt, not because they are limited. I have never been harrassed but I don't post much. I do know people that only buy limiteds because they are limited, and not because they really like the doll or even enjoy them.

13. I don't count for this myself, as I'm still working on owning one completed doll, but in general I don't think people with multiple limiteds - even multiple limiteds of the same sculpt - should be treated differently simply because they have rarer dolls. If they had a limited I wanted or admired, I may toss out a teasing, "Check your carrier before you leave, I'm gonna swipe him/her!" comment or two, or mention how jealous I am and then gush over the doll(s) in question, but it'd never be serious. People love their dolls; very very few people (none that I've personally come across, but statistically one probably exists somewhere) hoard exclusively limited dolls and then parade them around as if having so many makes them somehow superior. Even if someone has an exclusively limited collection, that doesn't mean they're doing it to spite the rest of the limited-less community; they just happen to love sculpts that you can't get your hands on as easily as others. Generally speaking people have limiteds not because they're limited, but because they love the sculpt and wanted it enough to purchase it. In the same strand, you don't see many second- and third-hand tan elf Woosoos in the marketplace (an exaggeration, of course), but that doesn't mean owners of second- and third-hand dolls that are not quite so limited, like the ever-sexy El, don't covet them any less.

I have noticed, though, that people with very large doll collections - even when not all are limited dolls - seem to collect more ill-will. If someone has enough love to give to so many dolls, and the funds to support the love-giving, let them! I may make an offhand comment about being overwhelmed by size or cost, or proclaim my jealousy, but I'm not about to persecute you because you've spent time and money building a collection that could very well mean the world to you. What right would I have to do that?

Bottom line: no matter how you put it, having more than one limited does not automatically make a person unfair, selfish or a show-off, so having an opinion that states otherwise would not make sense to me!​

14. The "limiteds" I have at the moment were still fairly large runs... so in my mind I don't really consider them in the same league as something like a one-off. I have a MNF Elf/Vamp Shiwoo pair, as well as a couple of the Luts "event" heads. None of those dolls are quite on the same pedestal as a Bermann or a Dolpa-only Volks.

However, I have heard about this persecution happening, but always through hearsay. I've never seen it personally, and I hold no ill will toward people with limiteds, or even multiples of the same limited sculpt. If someone is lucky enough to get the dolls, or wanted them enough to pay secondhand prices, I'm happy that they were able to get the doll(s) they wanted. If it's a doll I wanted... yes I may be a bit sad that I didn't get the doll, as that's human nature. But I wouldn't say bad things about that person or to them. It's the nature of a hobby with so many limited dolls that I won't be able to get all the ones I want. ^_~ That's the way the cookie crumbles. If I don't get a doll, I tend to just think of it "as it wasn't meant to be" so I can be happy for the person who did. I can't let petty things like jealousy ruin the joy I have in the hobby.

About the photo thing... I'm not going to tell anyone with limiteds that they need to post photos, or even that they should feel obligated to. But I do appreciate getting to see the dolls. One of my favorite dolls was a limited and it's VERY hard to find photos of that sculpt on the boards. It'd be nicer to see more of him, but I'm not going to tell people they need to post pictures of their doll for my benefit. After all, it is their doll. ^_^

15. I don't think anyone is say automatically more like it depends on the person in question.

16. I have limiteds. I bought them because I loved their sculpts and for no other reason. Honestly, the whole concept of "limited" is a thorn in my side because it imposes a time table and the possibility of failure in acquiring a doll I want. On a strict desirability scale, the dolls I lust after most are beautiful Lishes, who are not limited in the least.

I have never felt harassed for owning limiteds. Nor, would I ever consider harassing someone over the dolls they own. The idea of harassing someone over their property "does not compute" with me. Granted, I own up to being a bit Asperger's in certain social dynamics, but still I feel justified in saying it's impertinent to comment or pass moral judgement on how many examples of a luxury item an individual has purchased.

I appreciate the people who share pictures of their dolls, limited or otherwise. They contribute greatly to the entertainment on a community forum. I never consider them to be "flaunting" their dolls. My limited efforts to photograph my dolls have raised my awareness of the time, energy, knowledge, expense put into those photographs. I also understand people who prefer to enjoy their dolls in private. I tend to fall more into that group. I have finite time, and even more finite skills, to photograph my dolls, but I do it from time to time, as a way to show my appreciation for others' photos, by contributing myself.

17. ..... I have some limited.... but not by choice, it is only because Volks likes to make their dolls LE by default with all those Dolpa happening very 2-3 months :lol::lol:

BJD collecting communities are getting larger, I would not be surprised if some people make immature comments about other collectors - because of the kinds of dolls or the number of dolls they own. I have heard about what had happened to other collector I know.

I do not post pictures of my dolls much and I do not go to doll meets, so I have never been a subject of such harsh comments.

18. I don't own any limited dolls, but if I did and someone gave me shit for it I'd probably give them a sock in the gob. And on the subject of BJD enthusiasts giving each other a hard time about having one or more limited dolls; I feel that if a friend or fellow DoAer is lucky enough to get a limited doll then that's something to be respected, not something to crap all over. For anyone to be jealous of a friend’s good luck is rather childish. To all you who own limiteds out there: That’s awesome! That’s some thing to be super proud of. Don’t let anyone cheapen what you have. You have some thing wonderful and if they don’t like it tell ‘em to go suck an egg!

19. Wow... I have heard about some cases like this, but it hasn't happened to me or any of my dollie friends.

It's shocking though, how people can become so jealous of others that can afford more than one limited. I say if you have the money and you love that little chunk of resin, go get'em! But you also need superhumanly fast fingers/internet connection to get them when the companies release them, so that's even more power to you :P

Ahaha! This is funny because I do this all the time, and just today I was talking about it with the owner of some of the dolls I tend to kidnap all the time :lol:

ok... back on topic... I own some limiteds but I have never had any person jumping at my neck for it. And I love seeing other people's limiteds too.
      Heck, I remember both of Weslie's black Shalls! Boy, were they gorgeous!! <3

So I guess it's only a few people who are bothered by it, and you know what? I seriously doubt they'll come and post in this thread and say what they think. :/

20. I also adore having people post pictures of their dolls- limited or not! I can't understand why some people would get so jealous as to harass, snub, or hate owners of limited dolls... that's just petty.

I don't own a limited doll, and probably never will, since it takes me so long to save up- but I'm fine with that. If you really want a doll, all there is to do is save up for it. If it's on the second-hand market, you may have to do some hunting, but if you're determined enough, you will get that doll. People are always selling limiteds for one reason or another, you just have to keep looking.

If a person buys a doll JUST because it's limited, I don't think that's a very good reason for owning it (and it might bother me); but if it's because they like the doll mold, then great! All those lovely limiteds need good homes after all. So what if somebody has more then one?

Also, sure limited dolls can bring 'prestige', but consider buying another doll that looks similar- there are so many doll molds out there- don't limit yourself to the limiteds :lol: However, that being said, if you really want one, go for it~
      If I met somebody in public who had two limited dolls, especially ones I liked, I'd probably just say something like: "Ooh! You're so lucky!" and go on to marvel how different the two same molds look from each other (something that always amazes me, no matter which mold it is~ )

I'd get pretty angry if I saw somebody picking on someone else for something as petty as that.