1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Intra-group Bitching about Limited Dolls?

Mar 30, 2008

?
  1. Yes, directly (comment to elaborate).

2. Yes, implied (comment to elaborate).

3. No, but I've always felt there is a general attitude towards those with limiteds.

4. No, never.

5. I don't have limiteds.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I was shocked when I heard about this. To think that people can be so petty is appalling. I don't own any limited dolls but I did try to get one once because I really liked his sculpt. I lost out and didn't get him but that doesn't mean I'm going to turn around and hate on the people that did. Really, I'm more inclined to say congratulations and hope you enjoy him/her.

I only own one doll and he's a standard and I love him to death. I think you buy what you like be it limited or not and enjoy it. I'm happy when people who have limiteds share pictures because then I get to see them in different outfits and such.

Granted, if the only reason the person was buying the LE doll was because it was LE and in all honesty, they hated the sculpt, then I'd be put out. However, I don't see this happening very often. Plus, I've seen limited dolls go up for sale in the market place here so it isn't like people hoard them forever.

Overall, in my humble opinion, buy the sculpts you like and if they are limited, who cares? Go for it! If you have more than one, big deal. You don't see people who own more than one of a standard sculpt getting harped on so why do that to someone with limiteds? Just poisons the whole atmosphere and leaves a yucky taste in the mouth.

2. Oh. I don't really care how many limiteds you have as long as you really want them all and aren't hoarding tons of them to squeeze the market and artificially quadruple their value. Not that I can stop you if you are, but I can scowl from a distance.

The limiteds I have are not popular, so no one particularly cares about that for me.

3. I'm mostly indifferent to LEs. I've yet to see one that REALLY grabs my attention. Don't get me wrong, most of them are really gorgeous and have awesome accessories, but I don't see them as a big deal. What really makes me jealous/sparks some hope in my wistful eyes, is when I see pics of owners carrying or hugging or doing something with their dolls. I guess my thing is, I DON'T have a doll, so my first priority is getting the one I feel is most special to me, not worrying about the LEs or my lack thereof.

But at the same time, I could see how others could be jealous of LE owners. Especially if you wanted one yourself. For me, I cope with the lack of my dream doll by looking at others' pics of their dolls. Yeah, I get jealous, but it's more of a, "I'm going to be joining you guys soon, so just you wait," type of jealousy or even, "Aw, I wonder when I get mine, if we'll be like that." Sort of wistful thinking. I think the bitterness towards LE owners comes up when someone says something offensive or something to put down another person's doll. Not that it's justifiable, but people can be very harsh when they're on the defensive.

Another thing, I don't think having a bit of bitterness towards another doll owner has to do with what Limited(s) they have. It could be more along the lines of "I really want that sculpt" with a generic doll.

4. I've been told by people that I should just sell them my doll (for whatever reason... a lot of my dolls happen to be limited. It's not on purpose... so who knows why!) because I'm just going to sell it anyways.

It kinda pisses me off when people say "Oh please, you're not gonna keep it anyway."
      I keep the ones that are right for me, and just because I have a hard time finding them doesn't mean it's ok to demand I sell someone a doll just because I may or may not "just do it anyways"

5. I own a limited and this has NEVER been an issue for me - though, that's probably because I'm one of those recluse people who doesn't post many pictures of their dolls. :sweat
      Honestly, though, it never struck me as the type of thing that ever *would* be a problem...
      -V

6. Unfortunately, jealousy can rear it's ugly head but I've never experienced that with any of the limiteds I own, perhaps it's because they're less well known dolls. But being limited had nothing to do with my buying them though I must admit to being proud of finally tracking down my Boding, Boding Sharmin, a dream only for quite a while.

7. I don't understand why it would matter. To me that kind of attitude boils down to a juvenile, "Wahh! That person has a better doll than me!" attitude. You buy a doll because you enjoy it, you're attracted to a particular style, or whatever. If you're unhappy with your doll (because it's NOT LE), then it's not the fault of someone who owns a limited edition doll. D: It's pretty damn lame, if you ask me.

8. I'm right there with you saying jealous people's attitude sucks, but I'd just like to point out that most of the people who've harassed owners of LEs didn't do it because they weren't satisfied with their dolls, but because they felt they ought to be entitled to the LE that stole their heart. sure, some LEs have basic versions and you could craft your own similar doll...but for some there's no other way to get that sculpt, and people may have joined the hobby long after the initial sale period ended and second-hand markets went sky-high.

again, this is not to say I condone people acting on their jealousy...but just to say that I can understand where it might come from, and the feeling is perfectly natural. it's just the actions that are wrong!

9. No, I completely understand where you're coming from. I think the attitude and the jealousy can come from a number of different sources (dissatisfaction, entitlement, etc.). I can understand it, but I think we're all agreed that it's unfair and wrong to take it out on the LE doll's owner.

10. I haven't really noticed any negative behaviour that way, but then again I probably wouldn't care. If you are in love with a certain mold enough to get more than one of them, who cares if it's a Limited? If you're that committed and willing to pay for it, go for it. :) That's my opinion anyways. I've never had any problems, then again more or less all my LE's are relatively easy to come by (Eiden, I-Ra, JinWoo), and I only have one of each.

The other thing is - I'm pretty sure those who are jealous and might bitch at a LE owner only do so about dolls they want, not because of some principle about owning only one LE. Technically, Elf Yder, Elf Chiwoo and Juri'06 are limited too, but I don't think anyone would complain about them because again, they are easy to come by. But that might change in the future anyways, see e.g. the re-release of Breakaway.

11. I don't usually think about it, but it seems most of my collection is LEs. Those guys all happen to be the faces I fell in love with, what can I say? Their limitedness is merely the cherry on top of the whole exquisite sundae. Nobody yet has tried to hassle me about my collection's degree of limitedness, at least, or about having twins of them. At least, not out loud-- which I do appreciate, because I wouldn't take it. I don't feel I should have to defend my choice of dolls to anyone.

However, I'll play along for the sake of discussion: Sure, lately there is some free-floating assumption that if you have an LE, you must be one of those dreaded Scarlet "E" Elitist People who is on a mission to cleanse the world of any doll costing less than $1000. But I wouldn't have even known that such sour-grapes pettiness exists here, if it weren't for the airing-out of grievances in these debates. (I must've been under a rock, myself!) So it is good to air these things out, although troubling & saddening to hear that others are getting actual harassment over it.

Dang! Harsh. You never can tell what will set people off... there was that recent debate thread where someone complained about seeing too many of the Volks checkbox-icons in people's signatures, because it meant they were flaunting their membership in the Ivory Tower or something. I think you've hit the heart of the matter: the line between Sharing & Flaunting has become very skewed for some folks. When I hear that people are afraid to tell others what dolls they have, or show pictures of them... because they're afraid of being seen as showoffs or snobs... The mind boggles. If you can't love all over your own doll, in a doll forum, then where can you do it?

Yes please! If I like an LE-5 and it sells out in 30 seconds, where else can I ever experience that doll again? Find its new owners and beg them for pictures! There are DOA members I bookmark because I know they own a special LE I like to look at, a doll I can't see just anywhere. Call me crazy, but I like it when people share their pretty things with me. :)

12. I don't even own a doll, and the one I want is not a limited. But I have mentioned a few times on the board what mold I want, and someone asked me if I would sell the head to them when I get her because the company doesn't sell the head by itself O_o' I don't even own the doll yet, and they want to take her from me >_< ((I declined and they were fine with it ^_^ its also someone I haven't seen on the board a lot, I'm starting to recognize some of the members icons and I haven't seen this member anywhere else O_o))

I really hope people don't bother doll owners about their limited dolls. They probably worked hard for those dolls *nods*

13. I've never had it happen to me, but I think a lot of people get jealous of people with limiteds, especially if they have a large number of them.

I only have two (and even then, they're just heads) but they were two that I'd wanted since I first got into BJDs. I'm not going to give up on two dolls I really want just because I think people might be jealous. ^^;

14. Actually, yes, I have had people make comments to me directly and indirectly over the Bermanns I own. Nothing in the last, say, 9 months directly though, but 2005-2006 and the beginning of 2007 I would get snippets of people making comments. Like how I don't deserve the dolls, and how anyone with more than two shouldn't have them, etc. I'd rather not get into it because there was a ton of drama I went through 2006, which was pretty ridiculous.

And it's sort of funny as I own a number of other LE dolls, but it's the Bermanns that people were up in arms over. And I got them before anyone could care less about them. So, I sort of felt like a moving target in the beginning as well with all of it.

Like I mentioned, things are much better now. Thank goodness.

15. I had an eye-opening encounter at of all places, the Volks Dolpa at the Toyko Big Site. A friend of mine had erroneously told another american, who was a student, that I was buying 4 limiteds at the Dolpa. As I was walking over to that friend(a male), she made it a point to tell me how it was unfathomable to her that I would spend so much money. When I told her I had only bought 3 of them she told me in no uncertain terms that she 'could never justify spending the money to buy 3 dolls'. Now, this is weird and funny because - 1) I didnt even take the dolls out and no one could see them, they were in their boxes and bags -2) I didnt know who the heck she was and she'd never heard or met me before and 3) I don't think she was even into bjds but was there with her friends for the experience!!!!!
      So, was this jealousy? Did she think I was showing off even though I was keeping to myself? Did she think I was just wasting my money and she couldnt control herself to tell me off? Was the act of my buying dolls going to produce a new hole in the ozone layer? I dunno....Alex

16. Wow, those were really funny and shocking to read. Hmmm, I guess 6 of my 8 girls are kinda limited, but no one has ever, EVER, said anything mean about me or them because they are limited. (Someone did say my Lady Sylvie looked like an ape's a-s one time but he or she was just being stupid and was JEALOUS!!!) I guess I just love molds most consider "bug eyed!"

I just, wow, can't imagine. If someone wants to buy 20 Shirou's, wow, I might think they are a little crazy, but if they are gonna get 20 they might as well get the ones they want. I know some people don't seem to like it if someone has more than one of a limited, but usually you can only get one or two at company-released price. After that, well, everyone has the same chance but maybe not the same buying power. I know one of my friends is collecting Volks Nonos. She's not limited so no one likely will care, but it's the same principal...

And as far as the "wow! You spent so much!" implying that is a bad thing, well, we all set our budgets and have X amount of misc money to spend. If I didn't spend the money on my collection of whatever, it would have just gone to something else silly and expensive. At least ABJD don't take up as much space as some other hobbies! I'd much rather see someone collect Bermanns than use the same amount of money to buy Stitch stuffed animals.

17. I don't own any LE, I just haven't saw even one I would like to buy. Personally, I don't care what kind of dolls and how many of them people buy, and I will laugh to the face if someone will say this stupid comments about how many LE should own a person. People who envy looks like bugs to me - no need to pay attention

18. You know what? I used to have the same mindset before my friend got me into customizing dolls. I used to say, "What?! Spend around 200 bucks just for a blank doll body, head, painting tools, etc??"

Now I'm hooked on the BJD hobby. :lol: Thanks to my friend who showed me that it's a very fulfilling and fun hobby.

I think she was experiencing some sort of culture shock. :lol: We don't know that later on, she'll want a BJD for herself! :XD:

Or she can be one of those people who really are tactless and can't keep their rude remarks to themselves. But then again, I don't know her.

It's just really bad that she said those rude things to you when you were at the Dolpa enjoying the event!

19. I own... 3 now? One is bodiless (not headless lmao) :sweat I didn't even mean for them to be limiteds;;;; I just fell in love with them (except Tinatsu, my mom fell in love with her - so she's moms limited dollie), I brought Izarra (CP Cian) to our local Matsuri, and everyone loved him :) I haven't gotten to post many pics because my camera (which is ancient and so clunky you can seriously do damage to someone if thrown) took a nose-dive, and, I live in Arizona lol! Where am I going to find pretty scenery here without going to a fancy place/up north for nice shots XD

I haven't been harassed, or had snippy comments - if there was, I hadn't seen any since I'm not the type of person to run around finding people to see who likes my dolls and who doesn't :roll:

The only thing that irks me is people buying most of the limiteds, then, turning them around and selling them 4x than what they're supposed to be going for, that's just plain annoying >_<;;

20. All my limited dolls were not limited to only a few so there's quite a few of those limited sculpts floating around, like my mnf Shiwoo elf. Even the DZ Recall heads were not that limited, so I haven't experienced any negative issues in front of my face.

Naturally, who knows what anyone says behind someone's back...