1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Intra-group Bitching about Limited Dolls?

Mar 30, 2008

?
  1. Yes, directly (comment to elaborate).

2. Yes, implied (comment to elaborate).

3. No, but I've always felt there is a general attitude towards those with limiteds.

4. No, never.

5. I don't have limiteds.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I personally don't have limiteds but I've read post where people have they've been pm'ed (I don't know whether it's this site or another.) saying other users have been annoyed with them for buying more than one or modding it. It think that is so wrong. Yes it would be nice for everyone to have a limited but no one has the right to tell someone off about it, they paid for it it's their doll. No one else has a say.

2. *Ackmed* "I KILL you!!" LOL no really... I want to be your friend :wiggle

3. I can see how wanting a limited doll so badly, not having one, and seeing people with two or more of them could make a person angry and frustrated - but I'd never harrass or taunt anyone about it.

As far as I know, Arnold and Wisp are both standards and not limited at all. I'm never able to buy a doll ON THE DROP, so I doubt I could ever save up for a limited in time :/

4. I know the frustration of loving a limited doll and knowing you can't own it. I doubt I'm the only one who's been in conniptions over all the Sards running around. But I wouldn't imagine taking out my personal frustrations on someone who owned the doll. That just seems childish. Not to mention, if I make them angry, they'll stop posting photos of those beautiful dolls and I'll lose out on the closest I come to those beautiful sculpts!

5. Jealousy comes in two different forms. Genuine envy which leads to a hatred of the person and simple jealously because you want what they have. Generally the latter gives more positive comments! But both are quite natural feelings.

Sometimes i see people who own 2 or more copies of the same limited, especially an incredibly sought-after one. Whilst i can see why it's understandable as to how that "isn't fair" it's not fair to harass or bitch to the owner with snide comments. They're very lucky to own not one, but two of the same limited! There's no doubt that they must've spent alot of time and money to aquire them. But when someone owns a limited doll that you really want, especially because you missed out on ordering them, i know how it feels. It eats your heart away, but really if you want that doll as bad as you think you do then you'd be willing to work that bit extra to get them second-hand.

I already own one limited with another on the way. I feel so incredibly fortunate to ever be able to own such beautifull girls. But i do worry that i may be 'bitched' at. Thankfully whenever i get asked about my little girl i just say "She's a Bambicrony Shy-Elf" saying the whole "she's a limited!" just makes me feel like i'm trying to be superior somehow and show off. So i guess it also depends on the attitude the owner takes towards people when showcasing their limited dolls.

Bitching and being jealous, what good does it cause seriously? All it will lead you to is being filled with unnecessary hatred and the reciever will feel hurt aswell. Really, if you feel hatred you should go and bitch to your friends about it and move on. If you love the doll so much then one day you might just be able to own it! So don't get all worked up :sweat

Long post is long =D

6. I've got two retired dolls, my Soulkids, but I doubt I'd ever get any bother about them. I have them because I liked them...and I got them before there is/was any hint of a 'vintage Soulkid revival' :lol:

I think Volks Irvin is gorgeous, but I think he's one of those dolls you're happier for someone else to have :) I also love the SDC Kurt LE, but he's still available if I wanted him that badly! Soom Beryl and Sard are beautiful dolls, but they're not for me. I love seeing pictures of them, and I would hate for a Beryl or Sard owner to stop posting pictures of their beauty just because there are a few jealous folk around. I also wouldn't chase a LE just to own a LE. If I adored the sculpt it would be one thing, but if I chased the doll simply to have bragging rights, I think I would be cheating someone else out of a chance to own the doll.

Sometimes I see triplets and twins of an LE sculpt and if they are from a *very* limited run I have thought that perhaps the person who has them has taken something away from someone else who wanted that sculpt just as badly, but might have been two seconds behind in ordering. In the end getting a Limited is more about luck than anything else, I suppose, because it's important to consider...did this person order all three at the midnight launch, or did he/she find their first one and spent years chasing down a second?

In any case, I certainly would never voice my opinion at a meet and upset someone because why spoil someone else's enjoyment of their dolls? It's none of my business how many LEs a person has, but I reserve the right to have a private opinion. I think that's important.

7. I have one limited (1st Edition SDF Cian) and I've yet to take him to a meetup or convention but I'm hoping if I ever do bring him out I won't get any flack about having a limited ^^;

8. I don't have any limiteds atm but if any were to come along that caught my eye I would snap up any and all I could afford! What is this "let someone else have a chance" nonsense? I don't care about anyone else, it's me first and too bad for anyone else that didn't have the money or the timing to get it. And why would someone spend hundreds on a beautful rare doll to keep it hidden? I would flaunt mine every chance I got and LOL in the face of any butthurt that came my way!

9. I have one limited, and I love him to bits, he comes to meetups and I never gave it a second thought that anyone would harass me over having him. I was proved right, no one ever has - people just treat him as another doll to be loved, posed and admired the same as we do to everyone else's doll.

To be honest, if someone tried to give me grief over it, whether live or online I'd probably fall about in hysterical laughter for a good few minutes and have to be revived with tea :)) Honestly, the things that some people get upset about...... truly if all they have to worry about in the world is that they didn't get a limited resin then their lives are truly blessed! :)

10. I don't find limiteds particularly compelling (in my opinion, all my dolls, once I get them, become limited editions of one - mine! lol) as a purchaser, but I do like seeing pictures and news about them - I think it's a great method for companies to promote new products and concepts, it's exciting and kind of glamourous, like seeing the new collections coming out each season in haute couture. It's unfortunate it has to bring out such selfish and immature behaviour in some people.

Having multiples of the same limited seems a bit odd and kind of compulsive, to me - but whatever floats your little rowboat, I suppose ::clapclap::
      ::clapclap::
      I would like to see someone make a company called 'Unlimited Limiteds, Limited' or something like that - it tickles my sense of the absurd.

11. I haven't come across it and I own two limiteds (DZ Megi-2 and Yo-SD Hinaichigo). While yeah I can feel jealous over how easy some have attained so many limiteds, I've had to step back and just be happy for them. It's me over coming immaturity in my eyes.

12. haipaa koneko and sue

you both mentioned having one limited, the discussion is on people who have more than one limited and are being resented for it

so you guys are safe =] i cant see why anyone could be angry over someone having just one, but then again i cant see anyone being angry over having more than one either so i guess anythings possible

so anyways think about if you had either too of the limited dolls you have now or if you had another limited doll of a different mold and people thought you should only have one and give other people a chance to own a limited, how would you feel???

13. It does bug me when I see someone with a beautiful limited that I will more than likely never have, just because I didn't know the mould existed until it was sold out.
      But I don't get the point of being mean to the owner for that. It's not their fault I didn't know, how could they have helped it? Sent a message to everyone in the world "There's this limited edition BJD out, and even though most of you don't know what a BJD is, I just wanted to let you know that I want to buy one."? 'Cause that'd be more creepy than helpful.

14. I think that when this happens, it's more often with limited sculpts than limited sets/art dolls...so why is it any stranger than having twins or triplets of a non-limited sculpt? or does that seem odd to you too?

inconnais, I totally feel you on that one! I know that the limiteds or discontinued dolls I lust after are probably eventually within my grasp, but it's still kind of heartbreaking to know that I never had a chance at them when they were relatively available.

15. I think it's really just pointless to complain to someone about a material item. That's what bjd are. They're just possessions. I think having limiteds is fine. I would have one if I could. But the people that go around telling others off for having one are just dumb - there are no other words to describe it. It's not like they're going to be able to make a person change their mind about owning something that they spent a great deal of money on and were lucky enough to get.

I will admit though that it irks me a teeny bit when I see a person with more than one limited, but that's only because they're limited and other people really should have a chance to get one. To me, having more than one just seems very excessive - like greed almost. I know that's not always the case though, and I don't want anyone to feel offended by what I've said. Again, I don't see a point in bitching to the doll owner about it. I personally never would, even if it was one that I desperately wanted. There have been many limiteds that I have wanted in the past, and I see them sometimes here on DOA. But as someone has mentioned, if I had really wanted it, I would be out there trying to find it. And look, I'm not.

16. Sometimes I forget that 2 out of my 3 ARE limiteds. I think that's because I didn't buy them BECAUSE they are limiteds, but because they were the ones I wanted to have. I do try to keep it in mind sometimes when I handle them. For instance, when I took my 2 guys down to Cincinnati for a meet, Tarot got packed into the carrier bag while I held Blisdon in the car. My reasons were that Tarot is a limited, and if one of his hooves gets damaged, it will be very hard to replace it. Plus it will be less likely for his paint job to get scratched when he is strapped into a bag, thus sparing me another 8 hours of blushing. *_*

If someone PMed me about owning two limiteds, I would tell them to step off. It was my money, I was around at the right time to buy it, and that is that. If they happened to miss the ordering period for said doll or got into the hobby too late, then they will have to try another means of getting it, like Ebay or the Marketplace. I went through Ebay and paid some scalper prices to get my Volks girl. I think everyone has missed the ordering period for something they would have liked to have.

17. Yeah, it does seem odd to me. I'm more a child of variety, but I do understand that other people -once they find something they really like, would rather have twenty of the same (my husband's like that). I can see the twins/triplets thing, or if it is a limited with different versions, and there is also the conceptual value of serial repetition (I acknowledge that one readily, but it's one I've always had trouble using as an effective strategy) but again - with sooo many amazing dolls coming out...if I wanted twins for photos, I'd definitely be inclined to make 'em using photoshop (or painter, if they'd just patch it to run right in Leopard, rarr).

Just thinking it through, if it were shoes I was talking about, though - the one or two times I've ever found a source for a kind that I really like that fit, I buy as many as I can afford before they go out of style and get discontinued. But I don't think about dolls like I do shoes, I guess.

It's really one of those ymmv, vive le difference situations.

18. I'm alright, Jack ;)

What if you had the money for your dream LE doll, but were frozen out because someone else ordered three of them a split second before you got there? Would you feel the same then? I suspect you wouldn't and I would be narked to say the least too.

I think it is highly rude to PM someone with multiples of your dream doll and harass them for their good fortune, but it isn't rude to feel upset that someone else lucked out and you didn't. Feeling a little jealous and sad isn't a bad thing, just don't let it get out of control. You have to get over it sooner or later.

19. I have a limited on the way and I haven't gotten any crap about it. I do have to say though, if you have two of a limited sculpt with only 10 dolls worldwide, that's not cool. I wouldn't beat you up about it, but I would consider it unfair. Of course, if it's limited because it's only available for a certain time (Like the Soom monthly dolls), then I don't see a problem with having multiples. So long as people order in time, they'll get one so they shouldn't have a problem with it.

Edit: Of course, if one person bought out a limited doll, that person deserves whatever crap they get. I wouldn't contribute, but I sure wouldn't stand up for them. I mean, can you imagine if there was a doll with only 10 world-wide, and one person had bought them all? I know most of the sites won't allow you to order more than three, but I'm speaking hypothetically. Besides, if a person did that, I can just about guarentee that they plan to sell the dolls for more than what they originally cost for a quick buck.

20. The only harassment I've gotten over a limited was someone insisting that my Shiwoo Elf was not a Shiwoo Elf.

I bought him NEW when he came out from Liria. I opened his sleeping eye head pretty soon afterward, long before there was a sleeping shiwoo vampire- which the person insisted he was. I've had him in my possession the entire time. o_o;

But the person was extremely rude to me and my friend, implying that I didn't know what I was talking about or that I was lying. This happened about two years ago?

Ghaleon(the shiwoo elf in question) and Ratchet(black camine) are the only limiteds I have. I've never been one for twin dolls, so I don't have more than one of each. I even sold Ghaleon's open eye head because I didn't want double of him! XD;;