1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Iplehouse 70cm EID Akando Discussion Part 3

Jul 15, 2009

1. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

http://www.iplehouse.net/board/view.php?board_name=DREAMBOARD4&ID=123

Iplehouse is offering a special service for those whose tan (eg: real skin and brown skin, I believe) dolls have gone funny colors (not yellow).

EDIT: 60% of the original purchasing price, and they say that you should "immediately throw away" the green doll.

2. Immediately throw away? Is that because they think the resin is breaking down and could be dangerous?

3. That's a really really good question.

4. No, not dangerous (I asked) unless you're sanding in a closed room with no mask. I think they say toss away to try and avoid having the green ones sold second hand to folks who want to make a green skinned critter. :doh I'm sorry, why anyone who ended up with the green menance problem with their dolls would turn around and toss more cash ($700) to buy another doll to replace the green one is beyound me. They (IpleHouse) say they have semi solved the problem with their real skins by adding UV protection but I'm not trusting enough to buy another real skin to find out.

5. Madera, if your boys haven't turned green, why do you need to buy another RS to find out if they fixed the problem? :P Quit being such a negative nelly about the whole thing. Some people actually like the light brown that the new RS skin turns when it's been baking in the sun for two months. If you want to give people the facts before they buy, that's one thing, but don't make up their minds for them.

6. Don't think she's making their minds up for them, just voicing an opinion...one I agree with by the way.

It does seem rather dollar foolish to purchase a replacement that "might" not turn...well at least not as fast. Even if it is at a discount.

I think its great that they are offering replacements but a partial refund would keep the green dolls off the market better.

7. ZennoSaji: It's my opinion and I'm standing by it. If me simply stating an opinion has the power to make folks minds up for them then I should be wielding a lot more power than I seem to have. *runs off to look for missing power base* :lol:

Seriously, just like PamSD said, it seems rather money foolish to re-buy something that has already gone wrong in many cases. If the guys were just going to go an even toasty brown I'd toss loin cloths on them shove spears in their hands and call em my mysterious ancient island warriors. If IH wants to impress me they'll offer to swap folks dolls out for the new UV protected resin models with the only cost being shipping. I'd be more than happy to stuff all of my first batch of real skin guys into a box and send them back to IH and have them send me new guys that will go toasty brown and not garish green. Even at approximately $200 per doll to ship the old ones back and get the new ones home would be worth it. Not the $600 plus shipping that they're asking for now. As I said; it's just my opinion. ;)

8. Well, as the not-so-proud owner of a green and very expensive Akando-Pierrot, I am not entirely sold on this. 60% of a small fortune is still a small fortune, with no guarantee that the replacement wont turn a wierd colour too. If the replacement were cheaper and the resin were proven to be stable, I would consider the offer as he is one of my most precious dolls. As it is, I have to give this some thought.

Either way, I know for absolutely certain that my next EID will be in NS.

9. as the owner of a special edition akando who has not as yet turned green, i can only wait and wonder. but if it happens, i don't think that i would toss him...he was my first bjd and is very important to me. i couldn't see spending a literal fortune again for the same company to send me a doll with whom i must play a waiting game.

10. LOL, I don't know why they bother saying that. The real idea should be that you've taken a chance with them, and they're letting people who bought the said dolls with potential problems buy a second doll at a deal price. But it is no deal to have to pay 160% for a doll no matter what way you look at it. They shouldn't tell anyone to throw their original doll away, unless they replace the doll completely for free. I think someone over there is missinformed. I can't imagine that was the plan.

Stilll, if I had bought one of those dolls, I'd try to buy a second one at the good new price for certain! It sounds like quite a deal. 'course, even if I had had the money to buy one before, I probably wouldn't have the money to buy the replacement :(

Oh well :) I think these dolls are really beautiful and congratulate everyone one of you owners who have one!!! I've been in love since my eyes first settled on one irl! LOL

11. I have been pondering on this (as I do) and I have to agree that the one thing in this deal that sticks in the craw is the request to "throw away" the faulty doll. Now, I am considering replacing my Akando, not least because his resale value is dropping every month. However, there is no way I would be happy to throw good money after bad and, as you say, IngieBee, pay 160% for a doll that was expensive in the first place. However, if there were a market for, say, a 50% off, slighly green Akando (which I think there would be), then yes, I would do it. Of course, there is no way that Ip could enforce their request, but if it is a condition of replacing the green doll, I really wouldn't feel comfortable blatantly ignoring it.

I will state my position on their Q&A and see what they say.

ETA: I've posted a message in the Doll's Hospital, but notice that the wording has been changed in the news release to "dispose of the doll" rather than "throw it away". Now that could cover a multitude of sins, including selling it. However, I will report back on what they say.

12. Yes, as I saw just before their notice again, Iple modified their comment as below.

** For the doll changed into green in color, you won't have to send us back and please you can dispose of. ^^

Maybe, it seems they heard how other customers could feel a little bad from this phrase, or the word of 'throw away', so then it is just modified.
      Also, I don't know but I think there might be something mistake or someone's mistake while they were making out this report because Iple company as I know so far, they are sincere manufacturer of doll and try to sell dolls with honesty always.
      Anyway, from their report about color change into green itself, I can read their another honesty & sincerity.
      Or, maybe they would like to complement their green problem completely by this sales. :lol:

13. I can understand if they say 'please do not sell the one you get more inexpensively right away for a profit' or 'please don't sell the one you know is faulty and needed replacement' -- but I wouldn't be inclined to throw the old one away, either. I'd turn mine into something else, some other character or idea that, well, can be green for some reason. Problem is, and I suspect this is the problem everyone would have here, is that while that's making the best out of a bad situation, it isn't addressing the problem of 'I didn't buy this guy intending for him to be the prince of the elves'. ;)

Thankfully, thus far, only my AkandoP's feet are a bit... off-color. So I'm not too worried yet. He just has a... foot condition.

14. Now, I personally can't see an ethical problem with selling the faulty doll, as a faulty doll. It is unlikey to impinge greatly on Ip's sales as it would be advertised as faulty and so only appeal to someone who could do something about it. And, as they sold a doll with resin that ended up being more unstable than I'm sure even they expected, they have to take some responsibility here.

I really am of a mind to replace mine and sell the Jolly Green Giant as, at the moment, he is just a ticking timebomb sitting there.

15. My guys (one Akanda SE "real skin," one Luo Strongman "brown skin") haven't started going colors on my yet, but I've only had them for a couple months, and I keep them in a very light-and-temperature controlled environment.

16. I got a response from Ip on my questions about selling the green beasties. And bless them for their honesty. Even though I should be pretty furious about them selling greening dollies, I really do feel for them.

While we are manufacturing real skin colored dolls, we can get customers' good responses, which give the energy for Iplehouse to develop one step further.

But, unfortunately, the color was changed noticeably because it was real skin, and our countermove for this was somewhat late. So such a thing like this happened.

Many doll companies pass over this problem but because of us, it might come up for sure.
      Why we don't take precautions against real skin color specially is that most doll companies are using this resin which we used.

From the process of manufacturing in a few years, it is real fact that we had to accept the fact the material like urethane should be affected by environmental effects.
      And it is always the fact that the doll is very expensive, but consumable product.

Anyway, due to this problem, it is such a pity that Iplehouse's good products can not get more interests from customers.

Because not only Iplehouse dolls are changed in color, but other company's dolls should be changed in color.

None the less, Iplehouse made [Iplehouse Doll Hospital] board and try to give helps to customers.

Our request to throw away the green doll when customer decides to request for new replacement, includes two meanings as below.

First, when we will receive the green doll, we will have to throw away for sure.
      It is correct that we will receive the doll and then send new replacement because we offer A/S to customers even though this service is not for free, but if we do, it is very big burden to pay for the shipping charge. And who will have to pay for the shipping charge?

In general, the company requests customers to pay for the shipping charge when they request for new replacement.

But, this is difficult both for the company and for customers to pay for the shipping charge.

So, we requested customers like that.

Second, as you mentioned, you can sell the doll to other customer so that you can cover the loss.

Customers can think Iplehouse has not at all loss because we are selling the replacement with 60% price of the doll.

However, can it be so??

We won't receive the doll again, so almost customers can sell their dolls to others, but due to this, Iplehouse doll market can be a lot decreased.

We know this, but we have to do this way as a company.

If you are a customer who wants Iplehouse to be developed more & remain as good company, there is only very small hope that please think over this. ^^

Thank you so much and Have a great day.~~

I really think that they have done their best here. They have used a resin mix that has been used by other companies and has not greened on them, so they had no reason to believe that they would be experimenting at their customers' expense. And they clearly do understand that, for us owners of Great Green Beasties, it is an expensive mistake and are keen to find a way to remedy it as well as they can. If they had washed their hands entirely of the problem, I would have felt rather differently. Yes, we would all rather it had not happened, but that's life, eh?

So, I will be replacing my Akando and selling my Jolly Green Giant. However, I am considering getting him in NS this time as I have rather lost my faith in realskin. The sunlight experiements in the data room didn't really help.

17. A big thanks for sharing the response. I'm still confuzzled*_* If the real skin resin formula is being used by other companies why haven't we heard about other brands of dolls turning green? Or is this whole real skin resin color a new thing for all the companies? Oh well, the whole problem gives out strong reasons for waiting to see how others fare on new dolls, and especially new colors before forking over the large pile of cash to buy. Only bad thing about that is the Limited editions are going to be ripping expensive by the time they hit the resale marketplace. Frankly at this point I think I'll stick to the old fashioned skin colors and just deal with ordinary problems like being smacked in the head by someone too tightly strung or freaking over the face plant just before the photo. ;)

18. I like the honesty about the fall in interest for realskin dolls.
      As with all faulty products, word gets around.
      They are smart enough to realize they need to find a way to appease the dissatisfied customers.
      It's a true fact of business...
      Happy ones tell one person...unhappy ones tell 10.

I would love to pick up a Green boy if I could afford one.
      I can just see one dyed to be Martian Manhunter!
      [​IMG]

or red like...
      [​IMG]

or green/blue like...
      [​IMG]

19. :? Err, how do you dye a doll?

20. I don't think the real skin formula is being used by other companies. I think Iplehouse meant that French resin (the Iplehouse real skin formula is part French resin and part normal urethane) has been used by other companies, and not had these problems. The thing is, companies that use French resin for their dolls do have problems with the dolls changing color (dramatic yellowing issues), and those companies have all had to add UV-resistant components to their resin mixtures in order to address the issues (or deal with people not buying their dolls because of the seemingly inevitable color change). It's the same thing Iplehouse is doing now, except that they're a little bit behind the game on adding the UV-protection in. Like all the other companies that have used and do use French resin for their dolls, they had to learn the hard way what can happen with it.

Also, the real skin dolls' tendency to go green (rather than the usual yellow seen in white and normal skin dolls) is almost certainly a result of the specific pigments used in the tan resin mixture. For example, commercial cadmium yellows, which are very common components of many tan pigment mixtures, have been known to turn green when exposed to light and/or heat. Many other pigments also change color when heated or exposed to light, though cadmium yellow is the only one I know of that turns green. (Indigo blues fade rapidly under strong sunlight, and vermilion reds can turn black under sunlight if they contain impurities.) So it could be a cadmium pigment that's causing the color change, or it could be the fading or darkening of one of the other (contrast) pigments that's making the dolls appear more greenish.