1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Iplehouse "mobility joints?" Opinions?

Dec 15, 2006

1. I'm going to restring my Cocori (as suggested by Silk) in the next couple of days in hopes of correcting the pop-out action of her mobility joint and I'll report back to let you know if it works or not. I keep thinking that if I can tweak it just right, I can fix it.

2. If you decide you don't care for the extra mobility, you can glue the joint with super glue. After that it's just like a normal leg part. That's what we did with our Silvia. We have been very happy with her stability thus far.

One lesson I've learned is there can sometimes be too much 'range of motion'.

3. So I've had my Freezia for some times now and all I can say is "WHY ON EARTH DID I CHOOSE THIS STUPID MOBILITY JOINT??"

I'm totally disappointed, to remain polite...
      The doll can't stand on her legs, can't sit properly and the "mobility" joint is constantly popping off.

I don't feel like hot glueing the joints because if I ever decide to part with her, I'm afraid she might not sell well.

I'm soooo cursing myself. :doh

4. Before you decide to sell her, you might try re-stringing her so that each leg is strung separately on the elastic to go directly up into her neck without looping through the other leg. I did this with my Cocori and she is much better now. I think the original way of stringing puts too much tension on the mobility joints, pulling them together inside the body, making the mobility joint unstable so that it doesn't work properly. I re-strung my doll so that the separate elastic strings are very tight and although it's not absolutely perfect, al least I can live with it. She can stand now just fine; I only have to be a little careful when I pose her to sit. I hope this helps. If not, you can buy replacement thighs from Iplehouse without the mobility joint.

5. Thanks a lot for your help!

I tried to do as you said but there's a knot that I can't unfold in the middle of the string which prevent me from restring it that way. Of course, I have no spare elastic strings...
      Blah...

I didn't know yo could buy replacement parts from Iplehouse. I don't see it on their website so is it something you have to ask them?

6. Yes, you have to ask for them on their Q&A board. They're about $70. (for Cocori). The ones for light skin dolls may be a little cheaper (or maybe not).

7. I finally managed to string each leg separately, as you said and...

...It's a miracle, she can stand! The joints aren't popping like crazy anymore!

He legs are super tightly strung, though.

Linakauno, thank you for you advice, that was really helpful. :thumbup

8. Woo hoo!! I'm glad it worked for you! I really love my doll and I was at my wit's end until I found out how to fix her.

9. Even with the male Iplehouse bodies, it pays to restring. For the males, I used the thickest string I could find, the Souldoll 5 mm, and did the two-separate loops, knot inside the head method. Made the model body SO much more stable, I'm going to be restringing the older bodies I have, that tend to be floppyish despite being tightened. I think the strings included are just too thin. (They do make good replacement strings for the arms, though!)

The mobility joint was offered on the previous male body version, the long-leg, 1-piece-torso one. Not on the newest boy bodies, though.

10. For parting line of thigh parts,,,because one more joint is put into and it makes the shape divided.:)

If one more joint is put into thigh, when you stand up the knee or like that, you can do smoothly.
      But, I heard they won't manufacture mobility type joint any longer.:...(

11. For the girl body, there have actually been three types of thigh joints. One is the general joint, but it seems there are two types of mobility thighs. I have a Cocori from the first release back in '06, and her mobility thigh is different than the standard one. It's lower and fits better into the leg. The new one is really shallow and pops out. Perhaps that's why they discontinued it?

I never have problems with the joint on Cocori, but I now understand why people get frustrated with the newer mobility joint :lol:! Here are some pictures for reference---

Left to right: light Cocori with general thigh - white skin body with mobility thigh - dark Cocori with old mobility thigh

[​IMG]

Close up of the old mobilty thigh on Cocori -- (please excuse the powder)
      [​IMG]

Close up of the standard mobilty thigh-- (popping out as usual :lol:)
      [​IMG]

I figured it'd be fine to pop these in here rather than start a new thread. You can see these differences on the Iplehouse site too if you compare the original Cocori pictures with the body currently for sale.

12. My Freezia has the mobility joint and I regret it. Popped out so much I finally scotch taped it to keep it in place . .

13. i think the iple girl i recently helped in restringing was the mobility one, and i have to say, it pops out really often. one side wasn't too bad after the restringing, it was actually pretty stable, but the other side was just horrible, almost like it didn't sit right. at the slightest move, that joint would pop out, rather like mobility comes from that joint popping out first, before any of the other hip-leg joints even moving.

that said, it was restrung using one loop of elastic for both legs, instead of one loop per leg. maybe the latter method would work more effectively.

after restringing she was still very much poseable, in single-leg balance poses and stuff, but then again, i've been able to make some of my floppy dolls do insane poses, so that might not be the restringing solving the problem. :\

14. My Silvia has the general thigh joint. I think that the mobility one does provide some more flexibility but from the comments on here and on the Iplehouse site, it seems like it can be a bit unwieldy too. I believe that Iplehouse has discontinued the mobility joint anyway.

The only problem I have with Silvia is that her knee joints pop out sometimes at the back of her knees, but it's easy to pop them back in again.

15. I recently got an limited iplehouse I doll, and I think she has the Mobility type joint too. She stood right out of the box, but at the slightest movement, she falls over. The mobility joint really does seem to like popping out of place. I imagine that she has the same problem as a lot of you have experienced, she needs to be restrung! I have never tried sueding a joint before, but if it keeps happening, I might do it. She stands good, but I'm so afraid to move her legs at all once I get her to... because it seems like I have to fight to get her into other poses...

16. How do any owners of the EID dolls like the joints? Mobility or no?

17. You could also try having her wear a realy, realy tight pantyhose, preferably from a more taught material, this may help stabilize the joint, and prefent it from popping out.

I have owned IHS 3 dolls with the mobility joint, only one gave me a bit of trouble, but this solution helped for me. Still own two, neither of them give me any problems.

18. So far that whole upper thigh area has been really difficult but I think it may be a tension issue, my guy came really loose. So loose that just holding him, the weight of his legs would stretch the elastic down. :sweat He's apart right now and I'll be restringing him with tighter/thicker elastic but after reading this I wonder if I should try the two separate strings trick as well...

19. I have Silvia without the mobility joint, and she was terribly loose and floppy, and wouldn't hold a pose. She wouldn't even sit up without leaning on something. I sueded her joints, and Armeleia restrung her with heavier elastic, and now she's great. I have a Tatiana (MSD) with the mobility joint, and she is a wonderful poser, very stable. Could the size and weight of the larger dolls account for the problems?

20. Does anyone know if Iplehouse is still offering mobility joints on their dolls? The wording "The body on the photo is mobility type thigh parts, but we can offer general type thigh parts only, which thigh parts are not divided.
      So, when you place an order with this, please kindly be notified." is confusing. I'm looking at Freezia and it's not an option to get them.

Also, is anyone happy with the mobility joints? I see a lot of complaints but no praise!