1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a backstory a turn-off or turn-on when buying a doll?

Jan 24, 2007

1. I personally like the back stories, mostly because I think it's so cool that the companies put that much time and thought into the dolls that they create, and it pleases me to read them, even though they don't often apply to the character that they become for me. ^^

I'll admit, though, there was only one doll that had a back story that created an enormous impact on not only that doll and his personality, but the stories of several other characters of mine. ^^; The story didn't remain exactly the same, but some of the basic concepts were kept, and it actually has enhanced that particular story of mine immensely. ^_^ So I'm a fan of doll back stories.

2. I don't mind them- sometimes it is interesting when the doll in its company pictures fits the story very well. But I would likely not use them. I usually start developing a story once I see a doll I like or I connect them to an existing character just as I start thinking of what eye and wig colours I want on the doll.
      If I say, won a doll(I wish)and chose not to sell it or was given a doll as a gift(unlikely)that I had not before seen or planned on getting and it had a company story I might start with that if I could not think of one on the spot- though I'm sure the story would still be quite customized in a few days.

3. I like to read those backstories, but I usually don't use their story. I just read it and make my own backstory for the doll.
      So it's not a turn on, but alsno not a turn off because I like to read them.

4. Neither I think, having my own doll universe with characters yet to be manifested in resin, but I do find them very interesting to read! :3 Especially Dollmore's.

5. Backstories are interesting to read, but they don't bother me. I sometimes laugh and go you'll be nothing like this >D

6. Most of the time, I read them, but they never affect whatever personality or story I have for the doll. However, they can come in handy :) I sort of had a personality figured out for my Yeon-Ho, but then I saw Crobi's old trailer for him... so now he's a fox-turned-human! XD Oh, Crobi, I love you...
      His personality is still the same, but he's got more of a history to him now ^ ^
      All in all, I don't think a company-given backstory is going to affect your idea of a doll if you don't want it to.

7. I like reading the stories, but I wouldn't buy/not buy a doll just because of its story.

8. The backstory turned out not to matter at all when I bought my Sard. Even though they presented him as an incubus demon (and had that weird videogame stat chart on his page), Khrysanthos' own personality overrode the presentation of the sales photos. He's my shy, timid forest-dweller with no more intellect than a housecat, and that's all there is to it, alas. So from now on I'll read the backstories for fun, but they won't influence me. I'll look to the doll itself to see who the character really is.

9. I never really find the stories or just do not really care so it does not bother me :)

It is fun to know what they made them, but me I do something else :)

10. Ow I like the backstories, in fact I think that's cute, interesting. But I just read it as a piece of information created for the mold. When I buy it, it dosen't influence me at all, I've already got the story ready.

11. I don't really care if the dolls have a backstory or not. I have a couple of dolls that do, but I really never use it. Once I have them, all backstories are forgotten, unless I really like a particular aspect of it - if that ever happens (hasn't so far), then I will incorporate it. I'm not against the idea, just haven't come across a backstory that really grabbed me so far.

12. It wouldn't really bother me. When I purchase it, it will become 'my' doll, and she will have any story I choose for her to have. If she gets a story at all, that is.

13. Pretty much like the sculpt name, it's all meant to be overwritten.
      :| Well, for me anyway. :sweat
      And I totally ignore any backstory the companies give a sculpt. In my experience so far, it's never matched my own ideas on the eventual character, so... pffft. :)

14. They don't really have much influence on me. I look at them as similar to the names the companies give the dolls -- I know fully that I'm not going to keep the company name when I bring a new doll home (though there was a short time when I couldn't pick a name for Harumei before she arrived so she was just Miyu :p) so the names don't bother me. I mostly remember them so I have an answer if people ask about my kids' sculpts. It's the same with backstories. I know they're there, and if I had a doll with a company backstory I might remember a bit of it, but my kids always have at least a basic character outline waiting for them when they get here. So far all of my dolls come from a company that doesn't post backstories (aside from the whole El and Lishe being siblings thing), but I didn't buy them because of the lack of backstories, I bought them because I love the sculpts and so far I've been impressed with the quality of my dolls from that company.

15. I enjoy the backstories, the same way I enjoy reading my friends' photostories about their dolls. ^_^ But it doesn't affect my buying habits in any way. I'll still make the doll whatever I'd originally intended or whatever I personally see in that sculpt.

16. I kinda like backstories. My DOT Delphine and BC Shy Elf both had back stories that were fun to read and they made the dolls more interesting. But at the end of the day, they're not the same doll as the one in the photo so i can make up whatever story i want.

17. I think they're interesting for dolls I never intend to buy, but if I'm really interested in a doll with a particular character or personality in mind I'll just disregard any company stories.

18. I personally don't mind company background stories; I think they're cute. :)
      I think it's especially endearing how some LUTS dolls are described in a short, first person narrative about a feeling or scenery. Or like how it vaguely implies that Ethan and Camillla may be siblings... Of course there are not many people who are going to actually use the company stories but it gives me an idea of what kind of feelings they experienced while creating these dolls, and as an artist, I find that really captivating.

19. I'm mildly interested in backstories, but they doesn't affect my decision. I usually have all characters well thought-of well before I start looking for a doll. So I see a backstory as a part of company's doll image - the same as wig, eyecolour, clothing style... and will change all of this with the same ease.

20. When I go doll searching, I usually have something very specific in mind - a completely fleshed out character, for example. If the doll happens to have a company backstory, or even if a backstory is somehow implied by the doll's default faceup or the way it's dressed, it can be a little distracting, but I don't mind it in the least. If the sculpt is appropriate, nothing else really matters. The character won't be influenced by the backstory.