1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a backstory a turn-off or turn-on when buying a doll?

Jan 24, 2007

1. Never read them and always write my own, that's been the point with my dolls. They're always chosen because the sculpt looks like a character I already have who's becoming a doll or because a tiny is just too adorable.

2. the only one i ever read was the first doll i bought (DM Kara)...and the only reason it stuck with me is because it said he liked April. that was kind of cool, cause my birthday is in April^^ and thats when i ordered him! other than that i dont care about back stories at all, cause i give them their own when i decide to buy them :)

3. I read them. ^^
      I find it sort of sweet that the creators of the dolls, not just the owners, care enough about these dolls to give them an identity of sorts. Their 'company given' backstories however have no effect on the character I imbue my dolls with, as it differs completely... but I still find it interesting to read what the company/creator has to say, even if I do [and my dolls are] plan and give the dolls original personalities and backstories based on my own characters. ^o^

4. I do not pay attention to the stories companies submit for their dolls no more then a back story on a second hand doll influences what I have planned. If it's my doll it's what I decide they are to be like back story and all.

5. Sometimes I like to be a jerk about it on purpose. "Oh, she's the daughter of an aristocratic family? NOT ANYMORE!! *clicks Buy* Mwahahaha!! :mwahaha"

Just kidding. I've read them, but it doesn't affect my opinion of the doll. It's cute though. :)

6. I like to read the back stories, even of dolls I probably won't buy because I think it's interesting, but I only buy dolls I love. I invent new stories for them when they come home.

7. Psh, I don't care if they have a "back story" for my dolls from the company because half the time I don't even read them. Heck, I don't even know Aki's company story.

8. My thoughts exactly. I must say, I rarely (if ever) read the stories.

9. I like to read them, but they don't effict my story or choice in doll. I think a few of them are cute and a few of them are a little strange. I know I liked Kara Klum's because it paints him to be a lonely little geek. I don't usually like Dream of Doll stories because they're to soap opera ish

10. I don't care either way XD If I liked him and he looked like my character, that backstory would be erased!
      I suppose it would be sort of irritating, though, if everyone had Jimmy mafia with the same backstory!

11. I usually don't care about the backstory. xD

12. Hmm... it doesn't really affect me, as I mostly just look at the pictures of the doll ^^

13. I read them, some are interesting, but if i was to buy the doll i would just make up my own. I actually think its cute how companies make backstories.

14. their backdrops makes me think of what attitude they'll have and what to name them:sweat

15. I think it's creative of them and it allows them to have some fun with the dolls. It also might explain why they chose that mold to be dressed in fancy attire over another. It doesn't matter to me either way.

If you're the type to make characters for your dolls then you'll create those characters regardless. If you're creative enough it shouldn't matter~

16. Yeah, it kind of bugs me, seeing as they weren't meant to be classified and followed around by these 'pre-fab' stories, like a character doll or a *cough* Barbie. I make my dolls who I want them to be, and no company has to do it for me, lol.

17. I'm not put off by backstories. In fact, I love it when companies give their dolls background stories, but I will never keep to those stories myself when I buy a doll. When I buy a doll, I already know who exactly I want that doll to be, so he/she will be that character the moment I open their box and free them from their bubble-wrap prisons.

However, it amuses me to no ends when I try and picture my dolls (and the characters they represent) in the backstory that the company originally gave to the doll sculpt.

For example, the DoD backstory for their Luke doll says he's one of the top three B-Boys along with Crush and A&D, that he's gifted at dancing and that he's been a model since he was 13 and he's currently a runaway model with a beautiful dancer's body *dies* It makes me laugh - a lot - just trying to imagine my Dieter - a half human, half wolf god hybrid and former medieval knight turned professional violinist - being a dancer and modelling. Dunno why, but Madonna's 'Vogue' always pops into my head whenever I try and imagine Dieter modelling :lol:

As for my SDF Cian... I can't remember the exact details of his backstory... all I remember is something about Cian and Dion being next door neighbors or something since childhood. My Siegfried is not the boy next door, innocent and cute... *_*

All in all, I still say backstories are good, even if the company stories don't make much sense or are completely opposite of how my doll's character is meant to be. So no, I don't get turned off by backstories :)

18. Most of the time I never even notice the backstory. When I do I don't really pay it any mind. It really has no affect on my decision to buy a certain doll.

19. Well, stupid as it sounds, my first reaction to a company that made up back stories for the molds they sold was annoyance and a vague disappointment. Keep in mind, this was long before I'd realized how the hobby works. When I looked at the websites, and saw pre-selected names for the molds... I didn't consider them to be names for the mold, I considered them to be names for the doll. I'd never before run into a customization based doll collecting community--I was familiar with the porcelain baby doll collectors and how that works.

So, my mind immediatly jumped to: "This is the doll, this is their name, this is their assigned story. That's all you're allowed to call them, the only thing they'll ever be recognized by, and you shouldn't change how they look."

Since I'd begun to look at the dolls because of the wide variety I'd seen, I was ultimately confused and stopped looking at them for about two years. XD Eventually the pictures on dA drove me back into looking again. Eventually I found some F.A.Q. that explained the whole thing.

... I still dislike the stories, though.

20. The only company back stories that interest me are the ones that are based on myths or historical figures, because I enjoy reading about other cultures and their beliefs.

If it's just a common universal story, then I could care less.