1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a backstory a turn-off or turn-on when buying a doll?

Jan 24, 2007

1. While I find some of the company backstories interesting, like many here ultimately they don't really matter to me. Its the headsculpt and body that make me purchase a doll.

However backstories show the company really cares about their sculpts/ dolls also it gives one a window into the company image and possibly the sculpter's thoughts themselves. In the end it serves to make the shopping experience and the brand building richer in the customers mind.

2. Yeah, backstories are cool, but they don't really effect my dolls at all. My Soom Smokey's story went in the complete opposite direction, in fact. Even my Dollfie Dreams aren't who they started out as, since I valued their looks over the characters they were supposed to be.

3. I usually don't pay the back stories any mind. I have plans for my doll already, so it never has an impact on what I'll do.

4. Company backstories? I love reading them - I look on them as the inspiration for the sculpt and that's about it. I pay no more attention to a company backstory than I do to the character that used to be shelled by one of my 2nd hand dolls.

5. I don't even read most of them, so I really don't care about them either. Neither a turn-on nor a turn-off :/

6. It can be cute when the company does it. But when it's from another collector, it's probably best it get toned down. The new owner should feel free to completely re-write the character.

7. While company back stories can be fun or interesting, I really don't pay much attention to them. My only concern is whether or not I like a sculpt, and if that sculpt will fit MY personal characters. That said - if a company back-story is something that I personally find abhorrent, it might possibly affect how I view that doll, and in a negative way. But generally, I just ignore this sort of thing.

Now - when it comes to other collectors' back stories - I prefer there be no particular story or character attached to a 2nd hand doll I'm considering purchasing. That's because I want any doll I purchase to be a blank slate for my own original characters and stories, not a continuation of someone else's (this applies to company back stories too).

When I occasionally sell a doll, I present it with no character or story of mine attached. After all, I'm selling the doll, not my intellectual property rights. And this leaves the doll to become whatever the new owner desires, which is as it should be.

#147 earth.spirits, Jan 3, 2016
      Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    8. It's nice that the companies put the thought into them but they don't really affect my decision lol. If I like a doll, it doesn't matter if their backstory is horrid but I'll get it anyway ^^;

9. I don't really pay attention to those, but I like my dolls to be blank slates that I can develop my own story for. But I think it's cool when a company puts effort into making a story/character for their dolls.

10. I like the company back-stories. They're interesting.

11. I have 3 dolls that came with company backstories. I remember enjoying reading them at the time, but I don't even remember what the specifics of the stories were now. I know Impldoll Azalea, in her original limited release (she's since been re-released as a basic doll now) was some kind of magical elf princess? And my Souldoll Robb was a warrior lord of sorts, in his company backstory. Iplehouse Lisa was a vampire child who was angry about being stuck in a child body for eternity, if I recall correctly. I liked reading them in the same sense that I like seeing owner pictures/photostories: it's cool to see what other people do with their dolls. None of them were specifically what made me want to buy the dolls though. And I didn't keep them (Azalea is now a werewolf lady, Robb is just... a dude, and Lisa is a little Dark Elf child) but the stories the company came up with certainly didn't irritate me or feel like they were in the way.

12. I haven't bought one that has a company backstory, but I don't think it would affect my decision on purchasing a doll or not.

13. If nothing else, reading the story keeps me on the doll's page long enough to possibly get suckered into buying it cause I get attached to a pretty face.
      But their story has no bearing on what I do with it once I have it.

14. Well, for me it's interesting to read background stories. If the story appeals me, I might pay more attention to this sculpt or even have the willing to buy this sculpt. If I don't like the story, I just ignore it, unless it's something I'm sensitive to in real life.

15. It's neither because I don't consider the original character made for the doll, whether it's from the previous owner or from the company. I'm always interested in reading what people come up with, but that's their story- not mine. A company is just like a collector in that sense, where they might have a specific vision for their sculpt, but another owner might see a different person in the resin plains of a doll's face that other people might not.

I think the only doll that I have with any similarity between my story and the original owner's story is my Lumi. Originally her name was Lumia, which served as inspiration for her new name. But her personality and appearance are completely different now.

16. Doesn't matter to me. But some of them are amusing! Some are silly. I totally buy because of the doll itself, though.

17. I never read these stories so they have no effect on whether they come home or not.