1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Box Opening Still Fun?

Nov 17, 2009

1. Having just opened the latest a couple of hours ago I can definitely say that the box opening IS still exciting!

not...necessarily worth pictures of the box, mind you ;) but still just as exciting.

"Present time! Present time! Open it up, and see what's inside!!" :D

INNER 3-year old? It's supposed to be inside? O_O

2. Ya know, I think I am in the minority when even the box opening of my first doll wasn't a huge deal for me. It was fun, sure, but it wasn't the shaking-hand, almost religious experience that it is for some people. I love the not knowing what is inside but once the box opening is done, it's time for business, time to inspect the doll for flaws, to clean it up, to dress it, and to make plans. I guess the future sort of overshadows the present, but that's just a characteristic of my personality.

3. I only have a few dolls, but... if it wasn't exciting to actually get the doll then why the heck would I buy it in the first place? :lol: I've never taken box opening photos (more like arrival photos once they're out of the box, dressed, and wigged) but it's still a wonderful feeling to unwrap something I've wanted and waited for for so long, and in most cases haven't even seen in person before. Pretty much anything I order online, whether it's the dolls themselves, clothes/wigs/etc for the dolls, clothes for myself, DVDs, whatever... I still enjoy opening them. It's like a present from myself, and who doesn't love opening presents? ;)

4. I agree with JennyNemesis, aihre, and aernath,
      It never gets old! Ever!
      Every single doll item I get, I give an excited squeal once I get my hands on it, and again once I catch my first glance of my new doll. :lol:
      I think opening the box of my second doll was even more exciting then the first.
      Heck, any package I get makes me ridiculously excited. So do new episodes of my favorite shows, getting ready to watch a movie I've really looked forward to... the list goes on. I suppose I've permanently merged with my inner child. I always try to see the magic in everything.

With every doll I force myself to slow down and open the doll boxes slowly, and photograph the experience in great detail.
      Every now and then it's nice to look at those pictures again, that moment when you fell in love with them even more then when you ordered them!

5. Box openings ARE and will ALWAYS be fun! :D Done it 11 times now (next order of mine will be twins, so double fun! :lol: )

Im addicted to the feeling of waiting, finally having a reason to get up early in the morning to chase down the postman, and run screaming home with the big package, making me look like a little girl. :XD: Then carefully make space for the occasion, maybe put up lights so I can document it all well... gather the "kids" so they can watch too. Then to get comfy, all items settled. Then to start the camera, taking pictures of every cranny and bump.... Open the box, letting the new resin smell air for 5 minutes, torturing myself by sneakpeeking, maybe look for goodies, and inhale my little drug.. then jump up to wash hands, because now they are sweaty of anticipation! :sweat Then the unveiling.... :aheartbea

Its a moment of magic...

- I love to read box openings too, so I hang often in that forum. Watching it gives me the kicks too. :)

6. Six box openings later and I still love them just as much as my first.

7. Nope, never gets old. :) It's always so exciting! Waiting on my 13th doll, I can't wait for the moment of opening the box and spying the new resin face!

It never gets old. :D

8. Heck yes, they're still fun! :D I had more fun opening the box for my last doll than I think I did for my first. :) The excitement is still there. You know what you bought, but you don't know *exactly* what it will look like in person.

It will never get old.

9. Of course it's still fun. :)

The suspense, the excitement....

No matter how many times I open a box it's always going to be fun. :)

10. I've got six dolls now and I've been excited to open all of their boxes. I get excited about everything related to my girls. I get excited just at the thought of ordering a new outfit or accessory for them.

11. Oh heck yes! I just got done hosting a silly, little box opening shindig here for my friend. <3

12. Even after hordes of dolls, it's still a magical moment to open a new box. To see a whole new creature lying there, just waiting for attention & love. Even after collecting various dolls for 23 years, the excitement at opening a new one remains fresh.

13. Actually I totally agree!
      I still get excited about opening things but I'm more excited when I get a head back from after having a faceup or something - when a head really starts to ooze its character and that first 'finished' shoot is definitely the best part!

14. After many box openings it's still fun, but I'm less bouncy and more focussed on unwrapping everything and checking for damages or missing items. I've had some issues in the past and I know they will be resolved when mentioned to the doll companies, but I'd like to get over with that part as soon as possible.
      I'm also less focussed on making box opening pictures. With my first dolls I was jumping up and down with excitement and wanted to share every part of it with everyone resulting in me getting the first glimpse of my second doll through the lens of my camera. Nowadays I figure everybody knows what a doll box looks like and I skip to the part where I can take pictures of my doll for people who are interested in owner pictures.

15. I tend to not take photos anymore, it's a case of getting the doll out ASAP and checking for damage/that all the pieces are there.

16. I have only 3 dolls, but box opening is always fun :) I even love box opening when it's not a doll, but doll stuff x'D Thouth, when it comes to making pictures of box opening, I did it only for my first dollie. When my second one arrived, I was SO EXCITED I couldnt wait and find camera and take pictures of process. And when my zaoll arrived (my dreeeeeaaaaaaaam doll) I just didnt felt like making picrutes of it, I just opened it, slowly, enjoying the moment fully ^_^ After all the wait, all the stress of it, box opening is sooooooooo enjoyable :'D

17. Oh absolutely. <3 I love box opening, even with secondhand dolls. It's my very first in-person look at that particular doll most of the time, and I love making up little stories to go with their arrival if I'm adding them to an already established cast.

It's like getting a present! X3 Never, ever get tired of opening them.

18. I do love box openings, and browsing the box opening section of the forum, but I also agree that taking the first proper 'artsy' photos of a doll can be one of the funnest things too. That said my Bygg should arrive today and I'll probably be squeeing like a lunatic over the box. X3

19. Oh yes! I have eighteen-ish BJDS and there is still nothing quite like grabbing those boxes and ritualistically opening, often photographing, and inspecting them. Waiting anxiously to find out if a doll will click with their character or not. I don't think I'll ever get tired of that! If I do it'll probably be time to leave the hobby.

20. I have 5 dolls and am awaiting bygg and Beyla and I cannot tell you how excited I am about the box opening!!! I love box openings! Heck I recieved an ante multihead for someone else yesterday and was just as excited! lol
      I just love unwrapping stuff and I love parcels so lol

I find taking pics of the box opening annoying but I do it for other people waiting for thiers as when I'm waiting, looking at other peoples box openings keep me going so ...