1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Box Opening Still Fun?

Nov 17, 2009

1. Sure, it's still fun, but for me the focus is on different things now.

When I got Harumei, she was my first BJD. I had never even seen one in real life before her, so there was so much new stuff to see and experience with her. I got to see how big those boxes they come in really are. I got to see what "60cm BJD" actually means in terms of size and weight. I got to see what fresh resin smells and feels like for the first time. And of course, I got to see my CP Miyu turn into Harumei, not the doll on the shop website. These days, I already know about how big the boxes and dolls are and what new resin smells like and all that, so more of the excitement is focused on the process of turning the newly-arrived doll into whatever character he or she is supposed to be rather than being just another example of X Mold. Which of course is incredibly fun (for me anyway) because until that point, the character has only lived in my head and I've been buying things like eyes and wigs on the assumption that what's in my head will actually match what all of those items look like when I finally put them together.

2. Exciting, yes! Stressful... yes! Ehe ^^;
      I'm always worried that I either won't like the doll or something will be broken or damaged or missing... it's kinda like, "Squee! Hmm... Squee! Hmm... Squee? Squee!"

Box openings are good, but not my favourite part of the hobby by far ^^

3. I hate waiting so much (what if it breaks? What if it gets stolen? What about customs fees?) that I think that box openings will never get old for me, because in part they're this huge release of stress. Also because I'm a little kid about everything like that. I get excited to buy skittles, you can't even imagine how excited I get when a doll is coming.

In a way, I think box openings have gotten to be MORE fun for me because I know what to expect and that it's going to be a weird little bald alien with no face in there and I get to finish them up, I'm expecting what's coming and I know that now the fun part is making them be who I want them to be. I never got excited over box opening photos though, to be honest...so not much has really changed from my first doll to my eighth.

4. True that! :)

Every time is a new experience - I remember being insanely excited when a body arrived for one of my floating heads. :D It's great!

5. I'm always excited! I have two dolls already and hope to bring a third one home sometime soon, and I can guarantee you that I'll be just as excited when I'm opening my third as I was when I opened my first and second. The fun and anticipation and joy never gets any less. Like Chaypeta pointed out, it's a lot like Christmas: it never gets any less enjoyable. :)

6. I love getting my packages :D. I keep thinking one of the ones I'm waiting for has been put in my room ready to open but its actually an old box -___- *excitable*

7. Oh, yes! Absolutly! :)

8. Absolutely! A new soul comes!

I think how to hide/throw the doll box is more exciting!
      Because I do not want my parent know I have a new doll! XP

9. ofcourse it's still fun.. :)
      I don't post them all anymore, but i always make a shoot for myself.. :)

10. For me each new dolls I'm waiting for are like the first so when it will come I'm excited like the first time

11. After my first box opening, taking 'box opening pictures' has actually become sort of a drag for me - I'm more concerned about getting a look at the contents and checking if they're okay than anything else :sweat

What is fun for me is making that brand new fresh-out-of-box doll into the character I want :)

12. WolfeClaw, I'm like you. I haven't yet bought a doll with a default face-up and can't see myself doing so in the future, so when a doll does arrive it's less excitement and more 'right, now to get you sent for a face-up'. It's once the head is back and on the doll and I start taking photos that I get really excitement.

13. :DFor me, each new doll is like a new member of the family and the excitement now is just as great as with my very first girl so long ago. I'm afraid I've never had the patience to take time photoing the box opening - I just want to see the doll and to begin making him/her into how I want them to look. It's what keeps me obsessed by this hobby:fangirl:

14. Yes, it still have fun when doll come home.
      But sometimes I felt guilty after box opening........

15. Stull fun for me too ^^

It is like a new present for myself, despite obviously I do know what the box contains. But the fact you are opening the box, finding what lays between those two pillows... it is exciting!

16. Heck yeah it's still fun! haha. It always feels like Christmas morning when I open up a new box and see my newest bebe staring up at me with no eyes >w<

17. Yes and no?

I love getting stuff in the mail. I despise the time it takes and the mess it makes to unpack a doll. Sometimes I leave the box lying around a few days before I open it ^^;.

18. I have nineteen at home and three on the way.

Every time is still fun. Maybe not the same as the first time, but still fun. Because there's always something new to encounter. :3

19. With 9 dolls at home, 1 on the way, and just as many sold as owned, it's still exciting! I am always nervous for broken or missing parts but so far everything I've ever purchased has arrived in good condition aside from some dirtiness.

I have to agree that getting a doll back from a faceup is sometimes more exciting than getting a new doll. The most excited I've ever been during a box opening was for my first doll - and the second most excited was two and a half years later, after she got her new faceup. I literally jumped up and down when I saw the box holding her head arrive back to me, and I've never done that before or again XD.

However, I've never did a box opening, other than a few pictures of my Buddydoll Raphael since he had never been seen on the board before. No, after waiting weeks or months for the doll I'm usually far too impatient to get them out of the box and dressed to sit down and take pictures of it all. But I'd like to finally do one when my F-21 arrives.

20. Absolutely! Then again, I get excited whenever I get a package regardless :sweat but it's more so with a bjd just because it feels like welcoming a new member to the family :aheartbea

-M