1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Box Opening Still Fun?

Nov 17, 2009

1. I totally and completely agree.

2. To be honest.....not really. Most of my dolls are bought in pieces and put together over time to make them accurate reflections of the characters they're supposed to represent.

I can't remember the last time a doll came to me already finished and perfect just the way it was, so when I get the box it's just time to check it over and make sure there is no damage before packing it up to be sent off to be repainted or whatever needs to be worked on it for it. I just received my dream doll in the mail and while I did some work on him to make sure the eyes I have for him fit, he's back in the box because he's not yet complete to me and won't hold my interest until he's been repainted and receives a new wig.

The real enjoyment for me comes when the doll finally gels and is completely the character I want it to be.

3. I'm ALWAYS happy to get a package, whether it's a notebook-paper-wrapped manga volume, a heavily-taped bubble envelope covered with international stamps, a sturdy box filled with Styrofoam bits, or an envelope with something small inside.

If these simple things continue to enthrall me, I doubt opening boxes with such amazing contents will ever, EVER get old. :]

4. I just love getting packages in the mail and a new doll is that much MORE exciting. So far I own 3 and every one was just as exciting as the last. Each one is different and has a special place in my heart and no matter how many I have, it will always be a special event when another arrives. :)

5. I'm sitting at 6 and a half dolls, and it's still a hoot! I do a photostory every time I can.
      The only thing that was slightly less fun was getting my new body without a head. It feels like I don't have a complete character yet. Then again, I think the real box opening will be when his head gets here.

6. Buying and getting a new doll is always exciting since each is different

If it is not exciting anymore I hardly think anyone will continue to buy LOL

7. oh I am definitely still excited, I love all of my dolls, and every new one is fresh excitement

That said I never post opening threads any more

8. I echo what Kim said. For me, my dolls come in pieces over time so I just end up checking to make sure everything is alright and it goes back into the box.

However, there is an exception for an oncoming doll that will be the first full doll in a long time so I am getting somewhat more excited than usual... But I'll have to see if I still feel that way when it arrives. :)

9. I was shipped off to boarding school at a young age and my parents, as encouraged by my school, didn't send me a whole lot of mail during those years... So now when I buy anything (even school books) I get super excited! :D
      I imagine I will still be excited years from now receiving anything!

10. It's most exciting time for me waiting dolls and box opening, still fun as ever:aheartbea

11. I just received my 7th doll!

The box opening absolutely never, ever gets boring.

12. I have four dolls and more on the way and each opening I swear I forget to take pics because I'm just too excited to get into the box!! XD It's great. Completely like Christmas, really. Even if you know what's in the box (more like BECAUSE you know what's in the box, really) :P

I mean, even if a lot of my dolls come in parts at different times, I still love opening up the boxes, you know? I may not do openings for the hybrids and it's rare I get full dolls, but I still love opening up the boxes all the same. Sometimes when I get the body for the head I'll do an opening when I complete the doll. ^_^

13. It is always exciting (after 15 dolls as well), because each doll is very much desired and expected. And surely there is ever some concerns, if it is OK after the long trip. And of course each time it is the small wonder of transformation from a standard "mummy" to only your special boy or girl.

14. Oh, yeah! I think it's just as much fun whether the doll is brand-new or comes from a previous owner, too. Since I don't choose dolls to fit existing characters, but develop their personalities after the dolls arrive, every box opening is a chance for me to meet a new character. Sometimes it's love at first sight, sometimes it's a more complicated feeling . . . but it's always fun.

15. Although I buy my doll in pieces, I still love boxopenings. It's the reason I first buy the head, than the body: Their faces are the reason I buy them, their bodies make them complete. I always have two boxopenings for every doll (three, if you count the return of a newly face-upped head)! I love it.

16. With my first dolls I was really excited and did whole box opening stories with my other dolls playing a role in it.

But later on, I got tired of that and only took pictures of the box opening itself.

When I get a new doll, I still feel as excited as I was with my first dolls. :lol:

17. It's fun but not in the breath taking OMG! way it used to be. I think I know a little more too, so there is always a damage assessment to be done first thing, that can be a downer. My Drui had broken off a 'root' when she arrived so that was a little disappointing.

I also don't HAVE to open immediately. Sometimes they will sit around a little before I have the time to deal with them- so much bubble wrap to clean up!

I do find it almost more exciting to complete a doll- like if the body arrives- or I finally get around to doing the face-up, than it is to get them. I like them best FINISHED, then I can really have fun with them.

18. every time is as the first!

19. It's still fun for me, and I've done it QUITE a few times. Currently have ten dolls and while it isn't the frantic "EEEEEE" moment that came with my very first box opening, it still gets me very excited.

20. For me it's a different kind of fun from early days... I feel more trepidation about whether I'll like the doll in 3d, and then after that it's a kind of knuckling down to the work of making her my own. But it's very fun still, and I'd do it more often if I could!! XD

Raven