1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is collecting BJD's your only hobby? Which hobby came first?

Jun 23, 2014

1. Dolls have always been my hobby but, I'm extremely new to BJD. I started out with madame Alexander dolls because my grandma used to collect them for me when I was younger. I actively started collecting after I was looking up prices to sell the madame alexanders. I then moved into porcelain, then antique, then barbie, then my little pony, monster high and ever after high, and finally BJDs.

2. It's a mix for me personally.
      I work on and search around for things for my owned dolls almost everyday. I would not say it is my only hobby or that it comes first.

3. My main hobby, one that I did since I was in grade school was dollhouse miniatures. I made dollhouses, and everything that went in them from scratch. Even with all the dollhouses, roomboxes, and miniature settings, I wasn't interested in dolls for them. Dolls weren't something I liked. When I discovered bjds, I was surprised I wanted one, because it was a doll. When I got more into the bjd hobby, I decided I could only afford one hobby due to finances, and chose bjds. Now I have no desire for dollhouses and sold my entire collection to buy bjds.

4. My two hobbies I have and will never shake are collecting games and collecting figures. I have so many of each it's... well... a really extensive collection at this point...haha.
      BJDs are probably just an extension of my love for collecting beautiful, dynamic figures/statues of characters. :) I have none yet, but I definitely see a few of them I want to get my hands on sometime.

5. Way too many hobbies so I'll just talk about my collecting based hobbies XD I collect Yankee Candles (currently have around 150); wedding ponies from past generations of MLP; all generation Cheerilee ponies; all Celestia and Cadance ponies; rooster statues; I collect porcelain, cloth, and Fabrice Santas (especially Kurt Adler); erotic anime figures; Living Dead Dolls; dating sims of every market (I just recently hit the 200 game mark); I used to collect Monster High before it exploded into popularity; jrock plush; the entire bibliography of certain Japanese rock bands (though not discography funny enough); Japanese tattoo magazines..I have very limited display space, to say the least.

I think joining the BJD hobby was just a matter of time really. I've been a lurker for somewhere between 10-15 years so..it's been a while but I knew I'd wind up here eventually.

Edit: I also collect porcelain dolls. Forgot to mention that. (non Santa, traditional female dolls)

6. I mostly just draw, paint, and do a variety of crafts.

7. I draw too! ^^
      I dont have my own computer and scanner yet though, so I cant upload any of my many recent art. :...(

8. I've collected many things over the years, including dolls, miniature teddy bears, Cherished Teddies, Beanie Babies, dollhouse miniatures, glassware, Pokemon cards, antique postcards and any antique things that struck my fancy. I've always pursued some creative endeavor including ceramics, porcelain doll making, sewing, crochet, knitting, paper crafts, scrapbooking, drawing, rubber stamping, calligraphy, china painting and my latest hobby is quilting. I've collected dolls of some sort for most of my adult life, as I could afford them, and discovered BJD's about 5 years ago. My passion for collecting and doing something creative changes often. One thing will take over my life at a time and I'll pursue it with all my energy until my interest in it wanes and then something else will take over. I enjoy doing too many things.

9. I love collecting Japanese toys~ I go through periods where my collection gets out of control, then I have to widdle it back down ^^'
      I also write, sometimes I create felt dolls and animals for fun~ I don't do those professionally (like my illustrating), I do not have enough time. I do want to get back into practicing photography, since I'll be getting my first BJD soon! <3

10. I have too many hobbies. OTL

I've always been into dolls. I collect fashion dolls, mostly, and have only very recently gotten into BJDs. Aside from doll related things, I have a lot of artistic hobbies. I like to paint with watercolors, though I've never been very good at it. I write a lot of music, which despite my having a degree in the subject still isn't very good. The only hobby I can really say I'm decent at is knitting. I knit like a fiend, and have since I was very small. I'm now a person who can comfortably knit sweaters that fit without using patterns, so I feel like I've become successful at it.

11. What is your YouTube called? I'd love to watch!

12. I love playing video games and reading. Video games have mostly taken over my life other than work.

13. I have quite a few hobbies. BJDs are my newest. I breed hedgehogs, take pictures of my scorpion after dressing him up, I do some sewing, I make patterns for tiny felt stuffed animals. BJDs just kind of fit when I was looking for a prop for a scorpion shoot.

14. My main hobby is to take pictures of critters. Insects/arachnids mostly!

About dolls I usually pick things I like, not focusing in a single collection, like, having a MH, then a Pullip, a Blythe, a BJD, I just enjoy the diversity and learning how to deal with different sizes/materials.

15. LOL No this is neither my first nor my only hobby :D My first hobby was sewing, I guess. I'm a costumer & tailor/seamstress - I've made money at it but mainly do it for myself & my dolls (& my family...) - started when I was 8. Another early hobby was photography - and I even incorporated that into one of my first jobs - I was a US Navy journalist & took the photos for my newspaper.
      I'm a Beledi dancer, learned when I was 12, w/2 friends of mine - one of them was half-Lebanese & her mother had taught her, so she tried teaching us LOL I never stopped, and ended up not only being in a couple dance troupes but also teaching.
      I've a love of history, am an Arthurian scholar (which started in university so had some formal guidance), and am or have been a member of several historical societies - SCA, Nova Roma, Byzantium Novum most notably. I'm also a big geek - Tolkien freak, Scaper (Farscape), Browncoat (Firefly), Trekkie - and have attended lots of conventions - been to DragonCon 8 times :D
      I'm also very much into Korean Dramas & KPop so have gone to KCon etc. Of course I was always a big rock fan (Beatles Forever, Zeppelin Rules, etc) which doesn't really translate to hobby per se. The KDramas tho got me to start a Korean Addict Meet-Up!
      The other big hobby I've kept most of my life is singing - I've been in choirs since junior high & was even in a professional madrigal group for about 8 years. I'm not doing much singing anymore except in the car along with the radio LOL

16. Before I collected Ball Jointed Dolls, I had a new hobby every month and nothing ever really stuck. Now collecting them is my main hobby.:)

17. My biggest hobby is my painting. As in, I seriously considered majoring in it and tried to minor in it (not working out for a variety of reasons, most of them being how key classes didn't transfer). I also draw, of course, I suppose the two go hand in hand.

I play a few games (okay, mostly Sims, I haven't had the wifi connection to play WoW in ages and I'm just not competitive enough to really want to get back into it), but other than that... I pretty much just paint. I've been working on a story in the same universe for years now, but while the plot has finally settled into its final form, I don't really have the drive to actually write the lot. I've sewn for my dolls since third grade, so getting a bjd was a natural progression from that. I collect American Girl stuff, but I wouldn't call it a hobby, it just sort of happens.

18. I have more hobbies than I know what to do with. My job is a freelance artist, which started as a hobby and morphed into how I make a living, I read like nobodies business (currently reading 5 books at once :nosebleed). I write essays and poems. I do performance art and spoken word at various venues/events around my city. I'm pagan, which I wouldn' t call a hobby as much as a spiritual practice but it does take up a good amount of my time. I love fashion and makeup and am pretty active in that community as well. I collect records and other music memorabilia (mostly 70s/80s punk but recently have been getting into glam). I am all over the place.

19. I am older than most of you, lived longer, so I have more hobbies. I was into Japanese anime a lot at some point in my life, every genre of it. I started when I was 9 watching titles like MS Gundam and Candy Candy in the late 70s and early 80s. I had a large anime DVD collection. Then, I downsized to collect only Bandai Gundam titles. I'm a Gundam junkie. I am into Mobile Suit scale models and painting (airbrush/lacquer). Familiar with various mobile suit design, combat/defense capabilities and weapons. I have no time to pursue this hobby nowadays but hope to pick up again soon. I plan to try my hands at aircraft models and painting.

As for collecting dolls. My mom loves dolls all her life, so I inherited some vintage dolls and figures from her. I also collect 1970s Sasha dolls from England. I have my childhood play dolls from Japan (1970s and 1980s). The oldest doll in our family came from England, she has been with us for more than 50 years. The doll is older than me, it belonged to my mother.

I started collecting BJDs 9 years ago but I am no longer active in the hobby.

20. I grew up around dolls. My mom had a bunch so it's always been something around me. So she kinda was ok with me getting into it. I collect Action Figures and models too, which are just smaller, less detailed dolls. So it's always been a part of my life more or less.

Other than that, I draw, voice act, write. My dolls are great for figuring out poses.