1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is collecting BJD's your only hobby? Which hobby came first?

Jun 23, 2014

1. I had many dolls as a kid, ranging between barbies and bratz. I kept most of my dolls until I was 18, but during the ages of 11-16, I was ashamed that I still had them. But when I hit 16, I found my first picture of a BJD and the flame was reignited. Now it's one of my many hobbies, that did technically come first if you just look at it as a doll hobby. But I also love cosplaying, drawing, reading, gaming, sewing, crafting and writing.

2. My hobbies are writing (especially fanfiction but I write original stuff too), video games, watching anime, reading, makeup and drawing.

I think the hobby that came first was writing. I remember being about 3 or 4 years old and telling my mum I didn't want to write stories any more because other kids were teasing me for it :( luckily she convinced me to keep going and so I still love to write. I would love to write stories of my dolls or others' sometime!

3. Apart from BJDs I also do customs on Monster High dolls, I love collecting and restoring old My Little Ponies, drawing, and sculpting!

4. traveling/swimming and occasional gaming (something that doesn't require commitment)

5. I also knit and sew. My sewing is mostly felt toys and dolls, and the occasional doll dress. Knitting is my therapy to disconnect from the day job where I am tied to a computer with emails and conference calls and report building/running all day.
      Both of those came first, with off and on dedication. Then I saw Gene Marshall dolls, and got obsessed with 16 inch fashion dolls. Then I found Tonner dolls and got very into collecting them for several years, especially when I found ones with inset eyes and changeable wigs. That naturally morphed into BJDs, which have taken over the doll budget. And they make great recipients for the knitting and sewing I do. :)

6. Before the doll obsession my main hobby was actually cosplay! Though doll customization is more enjoyable for me so that's kind of taken over ^^; Aside from those two things, I also love to draw (my occupation is a graphic designer) and sometimes I like to write and participate in play-by-post RPs. I also love sewing-I sewed and made most of my own cosplays and sometimes I like to sew actual clothing like skirts and shirts :) When I found dolls I was ecstatic to find out that it was a glorious combination of all those hobbies ^_^

7. Like many people here, nope, bjd collecting is not my only hobby. If you are talking about other hobbies that require spending money, I also do some figure collecting. Currently I have a hard time balancing between bjd and figure collecting (limited funds, lol), but since I recently just got into bjd, so this hobby gets a little more priority :)

8. I've barely just begun in this hobby, so I have several others that came first. I love drawing and sculpting, sewing costumes for ren faires, and I also raise and breed finches. ^^

9. It's something I became interested in about 10 years and have dipped in and out of since. I'm a multimedia artist so the BJD hobby is one that incorporates various other skills and interests that I have, but it's not really a major one for me, more like a sideline. Mostly because I have trouble finding dolls I really like and bond with unfortunately...

10. Ironically, my interest in dolls only came when I was around 15. I had no interest in dolls of any kind before then. So my BJD fascination is quite a new thing. However, I've always enjoyed digitally drawing, sewing, sculpting, rock collecting... Just about everything I can try I'll make a hobby out of!

11. I'm pretty notorious for collecting things, lol. I collect dragons (figurines, plushes, jewelry) antique keys and heroclix in addition to my dolls

12. I also love video games and various forms of crafting. Luckily for me, crafting also goes hand in hand with doll collecting :)

13. Of course i have more hobbies, its good to have variety

14. Dolls in general were definitely my first hobby! When I was a teenager I collected Disney dolls (they were not very common back then and there was maybe 1 or 2 dolls only available for a short time when the films came out). I remember keeping it secret because dolls were childish, ha!
      The next hobby was My Little Pony collecting, when I went to uni and discovered you could be the originals on eBay. MLPs were a huge part of my childhood and it was total nostalgia. I got into customising those, and through an MLP forum came across Pulip and BJDs.
      BJDs are the only ones that are an active hobby, but I still have a small collection of ponies, Disney and other dolls!

15. I have many hobbies.
      I'm a huge collector for starters, I also draw, dabble in writing... I'm also someone who avidly RPs and I buy adopts to flesh out our RPs. And I'm a gamer, a fan of anime and manga, a dc comics (and to a lesser extent Marvel) fan....
      Basically I have so many interests that I barely have any time or money.

~Evan

16. Pretty much all my hobbies boil down to creating or consuming stories (books, theater, video games, music, art, etc) and making things, and both of those work well with the bjd hobby.

17. My first hobby was drawing. Then anime. Then J-rock and Visual kei. Then came the BJD hobby. After my BJD hobby came my Furry hobby that lead to buying a lot of faux fur spirithoods, animal hats, ears, paws and tails. Plus leather bell collars/ collars. Just bought some G1 My Little Ponies. But not sure yet if the few ponies I currently have will furn into a hobby.

And I love scifi and fantasy TV series and movies. And 3DS, PS3, iPad and Facebook Game Room games.

18. I have a ton of other hobbies (inc. travel, playing the piano/saxophone, singing, reading, playing computer games, drawing, writing, gardening, and I would love to get into dancing). But BJDs (well, endlessly discussing and researching them while I wait for my first to arrive), painting Warhammer models and sculpting are keeping me the most busy at the moment!

My number one hobby has and always will be my horses though :). And spending time with/trick training my parrot.

19. I like crafting :D All kinds of! Sewing, knitting, even box making! That is why making dolls is the best hobby ever :love

20. I like to crochet and have been doing so for three or four years before I entered the BJD hobby, but currently school has been taking up all my time/money so I haven't been able to do much with either hobby for the last few years.