1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is collecting BJD's your only hobby? Which hobby came first?

Jun 23, 2014

1. BJDs aren't my only hobby but they nicely reflect my other hobbies: I sew and read about history (and lately especially fashion history). I also roleplay a lot and play some videogames and read and you know... basic nerd stuff. I think my doll hobby is relatively new? I started around 2009 but all the other hobbies have kinda always been there.

2. I have a lot of random hobbies. I write with my sister, draw pictures, collect non-BJD dolls and action figures, do needle felting, collect books and comics, play the guitar, play video games... Lots of stuff. Very short attention span. I recently started journaling about dolls, too. I think drawing came first?

3. I used to cosplay before I started collecting BJDs. Money from selling those costumes went to my first doll. My current hobbies are drawing and video gaming.

4. I collected animated characters' figures at first, and one time I wanted to buy a limited edition figure but that was too expensive. When I was searching that figure's infos, I found a BJD that is cosplaying that figure, so I started to know about dolls and later I decides to buy me a own doll. Sincerely, BJDs cost much more than that figure.

5. I used to collect tea! I was serious enough about it that I would consider it a hobby. I'm getting back into it again and it's very fun. I also used to be really into interactive fiction -- I still love it, but the community's sort of dying off.

6. I have lots of hobbies besides BJDs (I was drawn to the BJD world years ago but only recently managed to order my very first doll). I'm very passionate about video games, board games and illustration, I also very much like writing and cooking. I used to play the guitar some time ago and took part in a few concerts as well, so I'm considering to get back to it again just for fun. :)

7. I have a lot of other hobbies;)
      I love to game / anime / read

8. I've had so many hobbies, but only a few managed to really stick. I'm a watercolor artist (also colored pencils), I love baking/cooking (especially bread!), I'm studying herbalism& health in general (hopefully will help with cooking), and I make jewelry to sell. I also love older movies, from the 40s-60s, and I'm super into music. BJDs aren't actually super high on my list (I guess food/herbalism would be highest, and then jewelry) but I do love them, they put a vibrancy in my life that my other hobbies really don't:)

9. My hobbies are watercolor painting, digital art, bjd's, sewing, and writing. BJD collecting is the newest interest and sewing kind of came along with that.

10. I like book clubs. Reading and writing stories is why I like the BJD hobby so much. :whee:

11. Yes!
      I collect dolls since 7 years ago.
      However i started with a new hobby two years ago. Fitness.
      I losed 20kg and i feel strong!

12. I already sewed, knitted and did other textile things. Collecting BJDs gives me a consistent outlet for things to make. They also revived my interest in creating miniatures.

Other interests, like cooking and baking, remain separate from my BJDs.

13. No, though I have been into collecting for some time.

Art came first, in part due to my maternal grandfather. Then, collecting TY Beanies. After that, writing fiction, both original and fan. A couple other 'collecting' hobbies, and then BJDs.

And, while BJDs do often remain separate to other hobbies, my writing has influenced what I do with the dolls. I find that I connect easier with them, when they are existing characters. As opposed to building from the foundation up, like I did with my first doll.

14. I played Barbies when I was a little girl. I have many barbies, mangas, FC games and movie tapes in my house. My neighbors kids love to play in my house because of that. Even though I’m a grownup now, I still carry my barbies every time I move. Now I’m into bjd more than barbies! There’re so many different choices of them. Now my hobbies are mangas, vedio games, bjd, movies and travel......Travel comes first, and then rest of them comes second at the same time because I feel they’re Inseparable:3nodding:

15. Hmmm...

I'm sure I had other hobbies before BJDs. I started with video games in '96 when I got Pokémon Yellow. Then also discovered anime around the same time with Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, DBZ, Zoids, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, etc. Fast forward almost a decade and I was volunteering annually at a big anime convention near me, discovered cosplay, and then finally discovered BJD and gothic lolita. In more recent history, I've also gotten into Pokémon TCG.

Normally, I rotate through those interests depending on where I am and what my resources are. I am married to a service member, so we do move around every so often. We've been fortunate in the last 5 years that we have been able to stay in the same location so that I could venture back into some of my hobbies. For a couple years there, my poor dolls were either stored at my parents' house in boxes or at my house in boxes. I've only recently been able to get back to enjoying the BJD hobby in any sort of meaningful way.

16. I love costuming, and historical reenactment. I did costuming for stopmotion dolls for several years and had a BJD collector friend in the studio who would tell me about her doll s(which I thought were creepy at the time :nowords:). That project wrapped, I didn't want to make more clothes for myself, and then I decided on a whim to purchase a "little bobobie elfkin, that's all...."

the rest is history!

I like this hobby because I can really do some fantastic costuming and not have to clothe my body. Also, I can have a whole wardrobe in an afternoon.

17. Not to be "one of those people" but for quite some time I used to be very depressed and found myself not really doing anything (before that, I would say that video games were my main hobby).

I've only gotten into the BJD hobby this year but it honestly makes me so happy! I love fawning over different dolls and having my creativity run wild once again!

Though, this year I've also gotten into playing D&D which is also really fun hehe :)

I need to get back into playing video games again...

18. I guess you could say I have other semi hobbies. I collect stuff for Avatar/Legend of Korra when it's released, and loosely collect stuff for a few other series. I also have a sizable (but not going to increase anymore) collection of Pullip & co. line dolls. And selective books, DVDs, etc.

But, right now...bjds are kind of my primary hobby at the moment. I don't have time or patience to invest in much else because of the fact that I have studies to focus on, and a degree to look forward to next semester. Once I graduate, however—I hope to be able to focus on a few more :3nodding:

19. @sayakami I don't think you're being "one of those people". I have struggled to maintain a solid hobby, because of a general 'slump' in motivation. Caused, for the most part, by a depression. For the longest time, I couldn't work on my art, only recently returning to it. And, my capacity for writing dwindled.

But, lately, I've really gotten into my dolls again, after a period of feeling too 'meh' to even do anything with them. And, they do help. Just spending time changing their clothes, or coming up with scenarios for their characters, provides so much relief from my dark moods. It's an escape, but it's also more than that. The dolls become the characters that they embody, they become confidantes and 'friends' for people. We can confide in them, or turn to them, like some do with these AI messaging apps on phones. But, dolls are physical entities that we can hold, whereas AI are just that. A virtual intelligence in a phone. We can hug our dolls, or just hold them or position them close/in our line of sight, to provide us with that much-needed solace.

I think that's why the BJD hobby has survived as long as it has, in my life and experience. I come back easily to it, whereas others are struggles to return to.

20. Collecting is a fairly new hobby. Cosplaying is my biggest hobby but I tend to jump around.