1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is collecting BJD's your only hobby? Which hobby came first?

Jun 23, 2014

1. As far as doll-related hobbies, I started with Disney limited edition dolls which turned into a small custom Pullip stint before I got introduced into the BJD community. I stopped collecting the Disney dolls for the most part unless I'm buying retail price and have been instead buying the 17" dresses because they happen to fit slim MSDs! I haven't followed up with the Pullips but I still have them.

For the most part, I've focused mainly on my BJDs since I got into the hobby since I'm actually able to play/pose with them. (I'm strictly against deboxing, so my Disney limited edition dolls just look pretty in their boxes.) I don't see myself getting back into the limited edition collecting/hobby but I see myself sticking with BJDs for a while.

2. I have role-playing, writing, pen and pencil RPGs, Video Games, and in the distant but not too far past- sewing and pottery. (I made lots of bowels.) I think if I am generous- gardening is another hobby, but I tend to do it when my mother's arthritis making her day not be great to lug watering cans around to our potted plants.
      BJD is actually a really new hobby that I am honestly excited about; it is making me think of trying out things I haven't done, or wouldn't have thought of prior.

3. my first hobby was reading fantasy novels, but over time it's added and/or removed ones over time. For a long time playing music was a really core one, pretty much to the point that I lived for it, but some unfortunate events lead me to no longer be able to play anymore. So for the most part gaming (not just video games, gaming in general, from board games, to video games, and pen and paper roleplays, I play it all), anime, collecting anime figures/nendoroids, and more recently, BJDs, knitting, and eventually sewing will join them. :) I probably have other hobbies and just haven't considered that they are hobbies yet.

4. I’ve always been into creative arts, starting with drawing and evolving later into sewing and costume design. I’m also an avid fan of video games, and currently run a video game store :3

5. video games, reading, gardening, aquariums, music... and then there are my furry/scaly children that i can't really see as a hobby, since they live and breathe and some are totally bratty.

6. When it comes to doll related hobbies, my interest in BJD came first. However, I actually started doing monster high ooaks before I actually bought my first bjd. Before all of this, I was into video games, candle making, art, and knitting.

7. BJD obsession and Muay Thai. Manly yet feminine. I don't know why.

8. Recently got into BJDs. Hobby priorities are game, manga, then lastly BJD....

9. This is my main hobby, but I think it's brilliant because it's so multi-faceted! There's painting (faceups), sewing,crafting, furniture building, photography, sculpting etc. There is the potential for so many different things!

10. Personally, that's one of the reasons I find the doll hobby so appealing! The potential for creativity is endless :D

11. I have quite a few hobbies, but dolls have taken over in recent years. I used to be very involved in the lolita community, but a series of complications have arisen that kind of put it on the back-burner for me. I also collect action figures (mostly Figma, Nendoroid, etc. but also Black Series and a few random other toys from things I like) and fountain pens.

I'm not sure if sewing and illustration count as hobbies at this point, since they're part of how I make my living, but they say you should find work that you love?

12. BJDs became my main hobby around 2006, when I joined the forum. But before that, I would draw nonstop all day every day. It was a huge passion of mine. But because of the doll hobby, I started sewing, faceups, photography, and then recently I branched into wig and eye making. When I was pregnant with my son I was kinda burnt out on dolls and took up makeup instead. I still love it and do it just as much as I do the others. I believe this hobby has made my hobbies very well rounded. :)

13. I love writing, drawing, sewing, and photography so getting into the BJD community feels natural to me! I would say it has become my main hobby but it still consists of all my other hobbies

14. BJD is my newest hobby although I have always loved dolls. Dolls houses were my first obsession/hobby. I have five houses all of different scale and I have decorated and styled them for many years. Now I am looking at exploring all the different crafts I can get involved in with BJD!

15. drawing was my first hobby! i started as soon as i had the dexterity to fingerpaint and never looked back. i draw just about every day now, often for hours, and actually finished a bachelors of fine arts this past may ^^ since i'm now looking for work re: drawing, im not sure if it counts so much as a hobby itself any more, but whatever. i do have smaller side hobbies--video games, a few small collections, and some exploration ones ie going to the victorian graveyards around where i live--but drawing sort of dominates my life.

but what i draw most is characters, because i love to make up stories--so while i dont make full blown characters out of bjds like the deeply developed ones i like to draw, and have never drawn any of my dolls, i do find appeal in getting to project a loose character onto a doll and dress/pose them accordingly. i also like dolls just from an art standpoint, and have a great appreciation for the skill that goes into making a really good faceup or clothing article.

i only got into dolls around high school age. finally my hobbies are starting to overlap though, since i'd like to learn faceups at some point .... maybe someday!

16. BJDs have only (tangibly) crept into my life in the past couple of years. I enjoy miniatures, both collecting and creating. Other than that, most of my hobbies are related to fiber arts in some way. I sew (mostly historical clothing with occasional quilts thrown in), weave (on a vintage Leclerc floor loom that has seen better days), and I collect antique clothing.

I'm a riot at parties.

17. I started with collecting anime plushies, I still do, but not as much as I use to. I collect anime and video game pop figures since they’re coming out with new ones.

18. I do not consider bjds a separate hobby from my other doll collecting so dolls have been a main hobby of mine my entire life. My other main hobbies are gaming (Xbox and Nintendo), reading, swimming/water polo, scuba, and participate in geek fandom. I also play musical instruments, draw badly, sew badly, build things like Lego and Metal Earths, and tend plants.
      Dolls and video games take up most of my time (and money) with video games probably coming out in 'first place'.

@keseren, I also have Disney LE dolls and Pullips in my collection! The Disney dolls are probably the only dolls or figures I have never removed from the box because the styling of them looks so awesome. I did not know MSDs could wear their outfits! This revelation has opened up a whole new door of styling possibilities!

19. I do a few handy-crafts, Play video games, RP, Sing, and do some things with the local theater. Doll collecting is probably the newest of my hobbies, and not a very active one considering the cost-

I do enjoy it though! even if I spend more time drooling over dolls then buying them, or finishing the ones I have.

20. I started collecting Figmas and Monster High dolls first, and I had (and still have) a thing for collecting small toys/figures. Then I found this hobby to accommodate my small toy collecting hobby! :3nodding: