1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is collecting BJD's your only hobby? Which hobby came first?

Jun 23, 2014

1. Actually me collecting My Little Pony toys led into BJDs. I used to love working on styling their hair and restoring them from the thrift store and somehow to me customizing a whole doll was the next..... far more expensive and time consuming step.

2. I have quite a few hobbies, many art-related, but in terms of "most applicable" hobbies in comparison to BJDs, the first would be collecting game figures and statues. Ironically I grew up hating dolls (I think it was the "baby" factor), but after being shown how BJDs more closely resembled figures, it broadened my interest in the hobby. The rest is history. :)

3. I've been into the animal-keeping hobby if that's a thing..? Fish, reptiles, and my ferret are all considered my "exotics" lol! I also have been enjoying my resin crafts :3nodding:

4. I love sewing, fashion, reading, writing, and playing video games. The first two I apply to dolls :3nodding:

5. I was a doll collector first and while shopping for modern fashion dolls (think tonner type things) I stumbled on bjd on the internet. this was back in 2004 when bjd just hit the American shores and DOA was a Yahoo group. I saw an auction for an early Volks Show and the second auction I saw was for an Angel Region Kai first edition. I took a couple gulps at the price and bid. It was all over for me then....

6. I'm an artist, and honestly it's probably what got me in to dolls in the first place! I'm always drawing and designing new characters and thinking "Oh, I'd love to have a pretty doll of this character on my shelf."

7. I've always wanted to collect BJDs as a hobby but was never able to due to price and how young I was to even handle one. I was super into photography when I first got into BJDs so I really wanted to take amazing photos of them. I kinda transformed my love for BJDs to Nendoroids/Figmas since I was super into anime. I soon would collect not only figures but other merchandise too. Right now, I collect a lot, and I mean a lot, of omanjuus and plushes from Japanese idol games. Although, I soon got back into creating OCs and that got me right back into wanting to collect BJDs!

8. My main and very first hobby is drawing. After that or besides that, story telling, that's why I created characters. I also started to like photography in my early 10 years. I love stories, I loved reading but weirdly stopped reading at all for a year now...

9. Bjds are the second to last hobby I've started. I've been drawing, sewing, collecting plushes, and building models for years. In 2015(?) I got my first Bjd and last year I started collecting pins.

10. My first hobby was sewing Tilda's, the second is knitting. So I thought : dolls+knitting=bjd hobby! I like to create something for my dolls.

11. I've always liked dolls so, collecting bjds was just another step into another aspect of the wider doll hobby, I think. ^^
      But I also collect statues, figures, and plush - usually video game related - which I did well before getting my first bjd and I still collect them, just not as much since most of my money goes into dolls as of right now. :)

12. I was drawing and wearing lolita before I started collecting dolls, but my interest in all 3 of those things started to surge around the same time frame, which would be 2013-2014. I suppose they are all somewhat connected! They all have an element of creativity and my art is focused on cute aesthetics that tie back to my other hobbies. They all influence each other for me!

13. I was a gamer (pc and console too) a few years ago, but I am read about the new games nowadays, always planning to have a console again. Reading was always part of my life, like creating new stories. I don't write down stories anymore they are in my head only.

14. I have had lots of hobbies related to collecting and customizing - notably tabletop roleplaying figurine collecting and Monster High repainting. Aside from BJDs, my current expensive hobby is period dancing (in costume).

15. Weeb stuff, animals, and music. I'm basic af.

16. i first started collecting Monster High Dolls, and i love my dolls, and you can say they were a gateway to my new obsession with bjds. I am currently waiting for my first ever bjd , but she wont be my last hehe

17. I have only been in the hobby for about 8 or 9 months, so it's one of my newest. But, definitely the hobby I have put the most time into in the past year. I LOVE my dolls and making them things is so much fun! I played with dolls more than anything, as a child, not much has changed as an adult.

18. This is just the latest of many, many hobbies for me (possibly too many). I enjoy many different types of art including sewing and costume design. I haven't done as much in recent years though as I realized I didn't enjoy wearing costumes as much as I did making them. It's one of the things I really enjoy about the dolls.
      My other hobbies range from normal things like painting and traveling to the more obscure like underwater photography.

19. The only other "constant" hobby besides BJDs I have is horseback riding. I also tend to start all kinds of hobbies every autumn and the abandon those before Christmas. :XD: But yeah, been doing horseback riding for almost 20 years now and it's my number one hobby.

I also love cooking and baking, but I'm not sure if I'd consider that to be a hobby, exactly.

20. My passions always were in art, drawing, and crafting and cosplay. And I'd entertain the ideas of getting bjd's as a teenager who was broke as all heck. I have a small collection of Monster high dolls and this all probably lead to my obsession with specifically fantasy bjd's.