1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is collecting BJD's your only hobby? Which hobby came first?

Jun 23, 2014

1. I have had a few hobbies. I used to compete in running, but then I went to a school with very bad air (they hid it for over a decade before the school was forced to be torn down) and it terminated my ability to do hard sports for a couple of years, and when I started feeling better I no longer felt good about running because my cardio had gone down a lot. I tried to start swimming but quit soon.

My mom was an artist, and I am also a good painter and an artist without much practice, so I do that sometimes. My number one hobby is writing however, I have written over 4000 pages and want to publish a book some day. I used to have aquariums too but I had to sell them since my new flat had too weak floor. I collect plants (mostly those that don't bloom) also, it's a recently new hobby. I'd like to learn how to knit, but I'm too busy currently.

2. I actually collect transformers :lol: I've been collecting them for about 11 years now, but then I really began to get into my anime, so I collect figures and manga too :) what got me into dolls was the idea that I could customise them into the anime characters I loved so much :)

3. I've been into drawing and cartoons for as long as I can remember!
      BJDs are definitely a new hobby that lets me explore a different artistic form of creative expression. I also got more into makeup recently which kind of made me more passionate about bjds because faceups are basically doing a doll's makeup lol.
      I also like collecting lots of random stuff that spark my interest, especially toys and Halloween decorations. I have an Armada Megatron that lives on my desk (cool to see other people in this thread also brought up Transformers!). It just makes me really happy to decorate my living space with things I enjoy!

4. I’ve been collecting video games and consoles for around 19 years. My collection has been halved as I decided a few years back to only keep what I really want to play but at its peak I had close to 500 games. Back in the day it was a lot of fun just to track down games and consoles at garage sales, flea markets, small video game shops, and thrift stores. I feel like because a few games are worth a lot now everyone thinks their random sports nes carts are worth a markup.
      I do have other small collections like figures and plushies but some of those were sold in order to enter the bjd hobby.

5. My hobby aside from BJD is my creative work as a florist, I adore beautiful bouquets and fresh flowers. My second hobby is sewing doll clothes.

6. Funnily enough I used draw dolls alot!! Wasn't until years later I was introduced to the world of bjds

7. BJDs were first for me, but customizing Monster High dolls is another big hobby of mine, I love using them to make OOAK dolls, especially since I’m a huge fan of modding dolls, and BJD are way too expensive to do the heavy mods I like doing on MH dolls lol

8. Love barbie since childhood, later found bjd~

9. For hobbies apart from drawing and writing and RP which I've pretty much always done, a big hobby of mine is repainting Monster High dolls. It came before I was able to afford BJDs. It was a great, cheaper way to shell my characters. I still do it but I've been a bit disenchanted with it ever since I completed all my major characters and have turned a handful into BJDs. It was wonderful practice for doing faceups though.

10. Hey Wes! It’s iNyyx!
      For me it was the opposite, I started BJD faceups first, and they were a big help when I started with Monster High repaints, then my practice with those made my BJD faceups better. Though now I feel like I have to redo one of my favorite older faceups

11. Nope. I also collect anime figures and J-pop music. All of my hobbies seem to be based around collecting of some sort xD

12. I have a lot of hobbies before the bjd one. I cosplay and sew, both are like a complementary set if you ask me. I also listen to music, play video games, watch anime, read manga, collect figures, and play DnD. All of them came before this hobby and I enjoy them all. Some I don't do as often as others but meh, such is life.

13. In terms of toy hobbies, I actually started out with teddy bears when I was a kid thanks to a teddy collectors' magazine series I picked up in England. Once I moved to the States, Monster High was having its heyday and I fell hard into that and fashion dolls in general. BJDs always felt like the final frontier: the apex in terms of quality... and cost XD Glad I finally got here!

14. Lol, same! Everything is collecting, and my wallet suffers because of it XP

15. Same here! I had tons of Barbies and lots of Barbie related stuff.

Then my other two big big biiiiig passions are figure skating (which I practice twice a week) and civil aviation - but that’s basically in my genes with 4 uncles and 5 cousins pilots in the family (I also went to flight attendant and flight safety school).

16. Oil painting, drawing, and writing. The first has been only in the last couple of years, the other two for much, much longer.

17. Sewing, crochet, and knitting came first. Bjds seem to appreciate those hobbies so they fit in nicely :)

18. Ah...good question. So many hobbies..bjd collecting is my newest hobby. I play console and PC games, mostly rpg/ mmorpg. I collected comic books as a kid in the 80's, and then started collecting action figures in the 80's, 90's, and still....I play music and sing, I love to draw comic book style art, i like to read fantasy and horror novels, I LOVE anime, I love sci- fi, fantasy, and horror movies and TV, and I cosplay. I have more hobbies than a full time employee in the veterinary field should have time for, but I live to play!

19. I have a lot of different hobbies that all came before: drawing and painting, playing and writing music, and sewing (both cosplay and regular clothes) for the creative part. Reading, and (the odd one out) going to the gym for the non-creating category.
      BJD definitely fall into the creative area, much like most people in this thread seem to combine the hobby with various creative pursuits.

20. I personally have always loved dolls. It carried over from childhood. Other hobbies include writing stories and making art dolls. Writing came first for me. I've done that since I was able to hold a pencil and before I could spell. I remember always bugging my mom about how to spell words. Sculpting with clay came a few years ago, before BJDs. :)