1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is collecting BJD's your only hobby? Which hobby came first?

Jun 23, 2014

1. I am collecting Pullip Dolls and wearing Lolita...

2. I had barbies and polly pockets when I was little, I loved dressing them up. When I was a little older I started collecting build-a-bears and monster high and ever after high dolls. When I was in pre-school I used to sew and I've taught myself how to sew quite a few different things now. I love to write, and I have a really vivid imagination so I can see how I want things to look quite easily, that makes getting clothing and wigs that I think look good together quite easy. I got into photography a few years ago, I always loved taking photos but now I have a proper camera. I also game a lot and like customising characters in games like World of Warcraft, Skyrim and Dragon age. I am pretty new to BJD collecting but I think a lot of my other hobbies compliment this one. The fact I can really customise them to my liking is very appealing to me.

3. I have many hobbies. Many are related to art such as drawing and sculpting. I also collect anime figures, vinyl figures, and rocks and minerals. Art has been something I’ve always done, so this was probably my first hobby. I also enjoy gaming and reading. BJDs are something more new, but I’ve been admiring them for several months and finally decided to get into it. I’m very excited to pick up sewing and create my own characters.

4. I love drawing since forever! My current profile picture is actually drawn by me a long time ago but I use it everywhere I am online so if you see the picture anywhere, you can be pretty sure that's me despite the difference in names:XD:

5. I personally have so so many hobbies! its honestly probably unhealthy! i draw, i paint, i sculpt, i needle felt, i sew.. i think i need to slow down! So far bjds have been great for me though as i can use my basic knowledge of all these things into one c:

6. I was a very creative child and I was always working on some kind of project or another. My grandmother was a big doll collector and she got me started on collecting dolls at a very young age. By the time I was about six she had gotten me my own sewing machine and by seven I could sew my own doll clothes. As I got a little older I started to draw and sculpt more. I liked building little doll houses and furniture. When I got into middle school I started drawing more and sculpting less. And in high school I was looking for the dolls I saw in a kerli music video and I discovered bjds. I found the face up artist and the blank dolls, that was when I realized what this hobby was and how it was an amalgamation of most of my hobby’s all in one. I was not able to get my first bjd until I was in college away from my dad several years later. My dad never supported my doll hobby he preferred me play video games or board games. I tend to bounce around between all my hobbies but I always have some kind of doll project in the works in the background. Many doll related projects take a very long time so I work on other hobbies while I wait.

7. I'm not sure if I had already answered this thread before but here goes xD
      I have this awful habit of jumping from one hobby to another so I have a lot. I like doodling, playing musical instruments (I play the guitar, bass, cello and ukulele 'cause I'm all for strings) singing, collecting magical girl wands, (mostly Sailor Moon) playing both computer and console games as well.

8. First it was the anime, then the video games, then cosplay, photography, anime figure collecting, and now I'm stuck in BJD paradise

9. I actually HATED dolls as a kid! I legitimately HATED them, my parents tried to get them for me but it NEVER worked out lol. I guess I've gone full circle...:sweat I have many many hobbies, I'm part of the furry community (since I was a young kid), I love video games, anime conventions, and I've just recently started getting into BJD'S! I have a bad habit of fully thrusting myself into new obsessions and then getting bored of it... My solution? MANY HOBBIES! I've told myself it was okay to take a break from things from time to time. But I've thoroughly enjoyed BJD'S, I hope I can continue to *slowly* how my collection!

10. I've dabbled in a variety of hobbies over the years—some of which I'm still active with to some degree, while others were a phase I've since moved on from. I casually collected some fashion dolls (Bratz, Winx Club, random Disney dolls, etc), used to be an avid My Little Pony collector in late high school (the G1s I had growing up, and ones I acquired through trades and sales). I've since moved on from those.

As for ones I'm still at least somewhat active in: video games, drawing, painting, sketching, character design (that's what brought me back into bjds after a long hiatus), writing, fanart/fiction, collecting cat stuff, Pullip/Taeyang/Dal customization/collecting, action figures/physical media for favorite TV/movies/book/etc. (especially Avatar/Korra related stuff), and also a bit of sewing, wig-making, resin eye creating and experimenting with other creative ventures that were somehow tied to the hobby.

I also have gotten into fishkeeping and the freshwater aquarium hobby over the past year or so. I have kept fish several times in the past (mostly a couple of bettas, and usually just one tank), but I've invested more time in having a variety of different fish (many of which I've never kept before), as well as decorating the tanks with natural rock, substrate, driftwood, and live plants. I currently have three tanks going—a 10g tall, 10g long, and a 20g tall.

I pretty much divide my spare time between fishkeeping, bjd-related creative projects, gaming and sketching almost equally these days. That, and bingeing YouTube videos while I work on something:kitty2

11. I also collect statues from video games and various franchises on the side. I used to collect Pullips and Disney dolls, but stopped doing so to have more funds for BJDs.

12. Oh, how could I count... I have had some many hobbies all through the years. I have a shift in every 3-5 years, but that doesn't mean I give up on a hobby altogether, I am just switching focus. I used to be in role-playing-game, manga and anime, scrapbooking and other creative hobbies, photography (thanks to BJD - I started taking photography more seriously because I wanted to take good photos of my dolls), coloring... now I am into fountain pens. But except of RPG, I did not quit any of these for good, I just don't spend as much time with them as I used to.

13. I only have room from my one 15g betta tank with our living situation right now, but I used to have a lot of fun keeping swordtails (so. many. babies.) and other small, chill species when I had a little more room. Multiple Tank Syndrome is so real! What are you keeping, if you feel like sharing?

14. Multiple Tank Syndrome did indeed get a grip on me :XD:

As for the fish I'm currently keeping: a halfmoon male betta, female betta, 1 honey gourami, 1 panda garra, 7 kuhli loaches, 2 male fancy guppies, 2 sparkling gouramis, 2 bumblebee gobis, a bristlenose pleco, 7 celestial rasboras/danios, 9 strawberry rasboras, and 6 panda corys. I have my 20g tall beside one of my bjd displays, and I've currently got my girl Tauli sitting in a chair watching the fish swim around. That's one way to link two unrelated hobbies together:kitty2.

15. Oooh, there's some there I've never kept! And kuhli loaches and cory cats are some of the cutest fish in the hobby, imo. Love watching them snuffle through the sand and cuddle together. If I wasn't sure my betta would bully them I'd get a little school of one or the other for my 15g. A 20 tall makes for a pretty epic doll prop!

16. Bjds are definitely one of my newer hobbies, with me receiving my first doll about a year ago.
      My main hobby though is dnd and has been since my last year of high school. I currently play three times a week with friends and (try to) keep up with Critical Role. I would love to one day make Jester into a doll.
      I've always liked drawing and recently bought a graphics tablet. I also watch a lot of movies and do some gaming.

17. First came handmade art projects since I was a little girl, then came videogames and books, later I fall in love with writing and a kind of D&D when I finally found bjds
      The one that envolve all of my old hobbies

18. Definitely not my only hobby! I'm also into Dungeons and Dragons, singing, video games, virtual pet sites, k-pop, etc. I've always stuffed my brain with as many hyperfixations as possible. BJDs are also a newer hobby for me - I'm coming up on one year in the hobby.

19. I always liked fashion dolls as a kid. I loved paper dolls as well! Anything I could customise. I don’t really consider BJDs a hobby as much as other people do, as I don’t make clothes for them or take them out on photoshoots. I just put them on display and enjoy them as decoration. I think of myself as more of a collector.

I would say my main hobbies are reading, drawing and writing. I also like scrapbooking/journaling and writing cute PenPal letters. ❤️

20. I have a few hobbies. I collect Manga, playing video games, go to swim, but my biggest and most expensive hobby are my 3 Maine coon cats :XD:

#540 Eriawendollyn, Feb 17, 2022
      Last edited: Feb 18, 2022