1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is collecting BJD's your only hobby? Which hobby came first?

Jun 23, 2014

1. Nope!! I'm also into drawing, doodling, reading mangas, watching animes and playing video games. I feel that this is my most expensive hobby but it's so exciting to be able to stuff (sew, make accessories, and etc.) for my dolls!!

2. Nope it isn't.
      My first real collecting hobby was and still is collection music cds, dvds and goodsy from the band i like. I have over 500 music cd/dvds in my collection, which price is much higher than the one of my dollies.
      My other hobbies are non exotic and costy ones

3. i'm a reader, gamer and artist. Love to write, sew and draw. I'm into manga and anime and photography. and of course bid. i love to combine the hobbies ^^....for the longest time drawing is my hobby, i draw since i can hold a pencil ;).....over a period of time i'm into a hobby like excessive and then it changes and my interests went in another hobby part of mine :)

4. I enjoy quilting a lot - my favorite is appliqué. Cooking and trying out new overly complicated recipes is so much fun. Hmm... For collections I'd say owls and beckoning cats besides my bjds. They are all three very small collections though.

5. Oh my goodness..dolls my first hobby? Not by a long shot. But then I am 60 years old so 6 decades gives one a lot of time try stuff. It is an obsession to learn . Here is a partial list starting with my young years....

Drawing as soon as I could hold a pencil, learning to crochet and hook rugs, and sew courtesy of my grandma before I was 8, making costumes from movies and books by age 13 for competitions in my little home town, water colors, acrylics and wild hippy embroidery and playing women's rugby (prop position) through age 30, (then the knees could not take the rugby anymore!), more costuming, learning to make porcelain dolls then sculpting my own one of a kind dolls through age 50 (and some even now) and ikebana flower arranging, then anime found me and through it I found bjds which is consuming me at this time. Intermediate hobbies along the way like learning to speak na'vi (from Avatar), making dream catchers, sculpting little cats, and of course my animal rescue activities in my "spare" time. Who knows what comes next?

Through it all collecting has been my touchstone, mostly weird one of a kind things like vampire mermaids, all sorts of action figures, movie props, and tons of books on natural history (Ice Age Europe is a passion), and rocks from places I have visited (unless confiscated by customs lol) Someone is going to have quite a job to do when I pass on.

6. Ah... I'm quite ashamed to say I have had many a hobby before settling on BJDs (Have I even settled?)... I draw, I make jewelry, I sing, paint (sometimes), make collages... To cut short, I'm a very crafty/DIY person. I think I love dolls so much atm because it embodies whole of those aspects, in one place :)

7. nope as well. BJD is just one of them.

8. Nope, collecting BJD's is not my only hobby though it does breed a lot of creativity in me. (: My first ever hobby was most likely drawing. I liked to doodle a lot when I was a kid and started to just draw my way up and improving along the way. My drawing skill has kind of diminished now since I barely draw anymore since I do other things that distract me from it (like the computer, boyfriend, and work). But I still enjoy doing it here and there. I don't really have any other hobbies except for collecting Pokemon cards here and there and collecting fortune cookie paper fortunes~ (: But nah, BJD collecting isn't my only hobby and I really don't think I collect BJDs. After having so many I WILL stop. I cannot afford to have so many and will never have that much room to keep them in anyway. :P So technically, I don't collect anyway, I just have them. x3

9. Nope not at all.

I'm a professional pirate, I dress up as a pirate for charity and sing sea shanties along with the rest of the group and cause general mayhem and destruction :D

Also I'm semi in the SCA, the only reason I don't go to many event is that I'm so far away.
      I'm a reenactor, I'm in a medieval reenactment group as well as getting into WW2 and perhaps Viking. I'm a larper that likes to do various systems, small the better. I also mostly crew for them, hardly play the games anymore. Into gaming, things like TOR and WOW. I'm acquiring bits for a Jawa and Jedi costume for the 501st Legion and Rebel Legion. I'm also getting a mermaid tail.

I enjoy writing stories, drawing and hoping to start sculpting dolls and those posable art fur dolls. I'm also hoping to start sewing properly and make fursuits and cosplay, including historical clothing.

I'm getting into sfx makeups and prosthetic.

Last but not least I enjoy reading.

I think that's all.

10. The BJD hobby is the main one at the moment. Though in honesty I collect dolls in general, always have(The Monster High dolls are slowly growing in numbers as we speak).
      Otherwise ... most of my other hobbies do involve dolls in some way. I also enjoy collecting miniatures(Which I think might have something to do with my love of dollies since they're basically miniature people), sewing, though I'm not that great at it yet, and drawing from time to time.

11. I'm also crazy about doll houses and I love to paint them and do them up. My little girls are into them as well, so they keep me busy! We also have a Highland pony and we are moving to the country side soon as we would like another. I love being outside with my children, my dogs and the pony but I love the dolls in all their forms in the winter, curled up in front of the fire, working away on them.

12. I was into gothic lolita fashion before I joined the bjd community. I still collect the clothing and participate in the community but it has been placed on the back burner.

13. The general hobbies that most people usually tend to have in this hobby. (From what I've seen.) I started with anime and manga then drawing/cartooning. I started getting into conventions at 15 or 16 then cosplaying followed that. And one marvelous day I discovered bjd! It's been nothing but fun since everything kinda blends we'll together. ❤️

14. No, dolls aren't my only hobby. I just got into collecting as an adult a few years ago, so of course I still have other hobbies. My favorites are reading, graphic design, foreign languages, music, video games, political activism, and learning about space, science, history, and anthropology. I'm not into manga, anime, cosplay, or lolita like a lot of people in the doll community tend to be, although they all seem fun.

15. Like many of you, dolls aren't my only hobby : I love drawing, sculpting, sewing, reading, playing video games :)

And that not my only or biggest collection neither : My most important collection is about Re-Ment stuff, and vintage Polly Pocket :D And I'm starting a Nendoroids collection too!

It's fun and interesting to see what each of you like to do or collect, not only the doll part :)

16. Hobbies....oh yeah I got them.
      I like to read, draw, and write. (I have 3 stories I am working on right now.) I play video games, watch anime, and movies. (I have made a couple of anime reviews on youtube.) I am teaching myself Japanese. (日本語を楽しいですね。) I am a D.J. for my college's radio and for some reason spend tons of time reading about astrology.
      Oh yeah and I collect anime figures! Here is my favorite figure http://www.denofangels.com/forums/s...-Murder-and-other-Nitro-Chiral-visual-novels!

17. No, I have many hobbys. I like sweing, cosplaying, cooking, sugarcraft, reading, playing videogames... I feel I don't have enought time to do all I want I also collct other dolls like Barbies

18. I've had a few hobbies, given growing up I had little to no interests in dolls lol.

Other than bjd, I use to buy quite a lot of manga and plushies. Though those have slowed down dramatically due to the dolls which makes my mum happy xD though I'm still quite the video gamer so that would be the only other active hobby for me.

19. Not my only hobby either. I have been into heavy metal since I was young and I imagine I will be for the rest of my life. I read a lot of manga and watch anime & I collect action figures. I have a collection of MH dolls as well. Also anyone who knows me would know I have an obsession with Loki & Thor (& Tom Hiddleston :aheartbea ) & I collect movies, comics etc... I find my hobbies cross over a bit as two of my bjds are in a metal band & two are Loki and Thor:) One of my fav hobbies has had to go on hold for a few years due to illness but one day I would love to return to downhill snow skiing.

20. Hmmm I've always loved dolls from when I was little and when I was slightly older I would look at all the beautiful porcelain dolls on the internet in all these fancy Victorian clothes (sigh). I then learnt to knit and crochet... and fast forward a few years I started watching anime and reading manga (and attempting to draw manga which utterly failed :sweat)... a lovely friend of mine introduced me to these beautiful dolls and I was totally hooked !!!!! :hug: