1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is collecting BJD's your only hobby? Which hobby came first?

Jun 23, 2014

1. Sometimes I wish it were my only hobby! The reason I took such a long hiatus with dolls is because I got really into Lolita, another extremely pricey pastime and I simply couldn't afford to keep up with both at once. Now that it's been a few years, I'm hoping I can straddle them both comfortable so neither fall to the wayside. I do have other hobbies, writing and drawing, but neither are particularly expensive for me (now that I finally caved about my drawing tablet in any case), so they're much easier to balance out.

2. Not my first or only, more like my latest.

3. I love to sew and paint and be generally creative! I have been making cloth dolls for a long time now and have been eyeballing BJD for eight years. I've just been far too broke those eight years to afford one. I'm so excited to be finally getting my first doll, the wait is killing me! For other hobbies, I collect art dolls, little sculptures and miniatures as well as play tabletop RPGs, read and collect comics and other such geekyness.

4. I make jewelry and sew as well, clothes as well as cloth dolls. Oddly enough, I found out that my favorite pattern for my larger dolls was in fact inspired by BJDs. I also like to write, although life's been a little too hectic for me to do NaNoWriMo this time around.

5. It`s my only hobby :) And it was the first

6. I've always drawn and sewn and the like, but I guess as far as collecting goes gathering various print related things was something I started in high school. It started mosly as a way to gather reference materials but now I also collect things with spot varnish, die cuts, embossing, etc...dolls came after but they're definitely the most dominant hobby right now.

7. Bjds aren't my first or only hobby - I've collected other kinds of dolls since I was about six years old. I also like to crochet, read, and hoop dance.

8. I have a few other hobbies, I like to read, play video games, cosplay, I'm into lolita fashion and I'm also starting to build up a warhammer fantasy army. The ones I spend most time on would be reading and video games

9. My BJD interest sprang from my knitting/crocheting hobby. I saw some adorable photos on Ravelry (knitting/crocheting site) of tiny clothes that folks had knitted for their BJDs and thought, I want to knit some tiny clothes too! After some BJD research I decided to dip my toe in the water and purchased a blank Hujoo Berry doll, and decided to paint it myself and have it be a cute little model for my tiny knits. Well, I had so much fun painting/customizing the doll that I ended up falling in love with the whole hobby. Ordered a resin MSD not too long after that :)

10. I've always enjoyed fashion and photography, and I've loved dolls for almost as long as I can remember, so now collecting BJDs is kind of a result of my other hobbies blending together. :)

11. Reading has always been my first and most-loved hobby, and thankfully once I was able to keep as I became disabled. Second is writing, and third is music. BJDs fall into the second category of hobbies, ones I have to feel well enough to do that day. That group includes doing posts for my blog, making tea blends, playing video games, making art, playing with my collections (polish, ponies, all kinds of small cute things). Then there's a third group of hobbies I don't get to do much - playing laser tag, going to museums, lectures, concerts, and shows.

So no, BJDs aren't my only hobby, although I expect them to become the main one of 2015!

12. My first hobby was scrapbooking/paper-crafting which led to an obsession with coloring with Copic markers. Due to my busy work scheduled the past year I haven't had any time for those hobbies so I finally broke down (after waiting 4 years) and bought my first bjd in September. I've bought three since. I may not have a lot of time with them but at least they sleep on the shelf beside my bed and I know they are next to me all night long.

13. I do love my BJDs, but they are not my only hobby. I love to paint watercolor, take photos, and I watch a lot of movies, at least one a day. I used to love sewing, but I have an illness which makes my hands shake, so it becomes very difficult to make small details... Pitty, I would love to create outfits for my dollies !

14. I've always had some sort of collecting type of hobby. I've been through many concentrated interests, but for the past few years it's been focused primarily on retro video game consoles, and I have a feeling that one is going to stick with me. I've also been into alternative fashion since I was allowed to dress myself, and my main focus has been lolita fashion for quite some time now. Since I'm well-established in lolita, I'm now ready to incorporate another expensive hobby into my life, and so I've recently started learning about BJDs. My interest in BJDs actually stemmed from my enjoyment in making jewelry and accessories, crafting, and sewing. I wanted to explore making garments for dolls, but I really care about quality materials and prefer a more adult aesthetic, which is why I chose BJDs over inexpensive fashion dolls. I also love playing video games, reading manga, and watching anime... those have all been pretty constant since I was a kid.

15. I like collecting in general. I love rare, wired things, those that are artsy. I have been collecting tarot cards, dolls, beads, ribbon or fabric with rare pattern, etc.

16. BJDs aren't my first, nor are they my latest. My first hobby is probably reading. I've been in love with books since I was old enough to understand what they were.

My newest is probably gardening. Sprinkled in between is others-- anime, BJDs, MLP, writing, video games, embroidery, and I'm sure more besides. I'm not an super-busy person doing 50 things at once, but I do have wide-ranging interests.

17. My first hobby was collecting K-pop CDs (and some posters) :') If I sold my collection, I can probably buy an new SD doll with a wig and maybe some clothes QQ I like buying anime artbooks too ^^

18. My first hobby was building cars. I collect stamps and anything that I find that is car and art related. I liked bjds the first time I saw them in Japan, while on a business trip.

19. Bjd didn't start becoming a hobby until my other hobbies tied into the equation. I started with Disney, then moved on to anime, manga, conventions, cosplay, comic books, art, and finally Bjd was born. Hehe I love that all my hobbies are related to one another so they just keep growing and growing the more I buy, see, want, or sell. :)

20. I have so many hobbies. BDJ is last on the list, lol.