1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Haggling A No-No?

Dec 3, 2010

?
  1. Yes

2. No

3. Sorta

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I am not sure I understand your post? You are using the word "you" but I am guessing you don't mean ME as I was the one sort of complaining about people haggling prices with me AFTER I put an item on Hold. I normally tell people in first contact that "hey...Canada shipping is stupid expensive" just to give them the heads up. Twice someone asked me for an estimate before confirming that they would buy the item and I was happy to do it since I know how bad the cost will be! It is the "surprise haggle" after all is agreed on that irks me :)

2. Oh, yes, just a general use of "you" - not a personal one! Just more trying to put forth that, if high shipping costs are going to be an issue for someone, they should let that be known after a quote is given. It's really bad form for someone to agree to a price with shipping, then try to back-pedal before actually paying a seller a few days later. Most people are not going to flip out if they say, "Oh jeeze, that's an awful lot for shipping. Is there a cheaper option?"

I would agree that a) shipping from Canada is sometimes insane, and b) having someone double-back even though you had offered them a warning of the costs is bothersome. I once had to give a quote to someone in Australia for well over 200 dollars, and we both agreed there was no way that was happening. I was shocked when the number came up, and had to make sure I had entered the right information.

3. I'd say go ahead and haggle away.
      I mean, if it is a second-hand doll with some factors that would lower the price (but in fact is HIGHER? ) then I'd say make a good offer. Im thinking no two people selling the same doll are looking for the exact same price you know?

Some people just want to get rid of the doll cause they no longer desire it, while others are selling because they need the money.
      So, give it a shot, give them your best offer and see what happens? C:
      Worst that will happen is they decline your offer right?

4. Hmmm... I have to agree this is kind of a sticky situation. If someone were selling a doll for maybe more than the retail value, I'd ask if they could sell it to me for around the retail value. Most likely, they'd know what they were doing when they sold a $400 doll for $500. I'd give reasons if they were good reasons. But overall, I feel you should give a reason why you want their doll for X, and not just say so. I don't see what harm telling them why you're suggesting X price over Y. You're just being an educated buyer.

5. I think... it really depends on the situation.
      If say, a doll has a mod that isn't particularly outstanding, and the doll is old (non limited) and marked up way over market value of a brand new un-marred doll, then i'd say it's definitely appropriate to at least inquire about a possible lower price, or to find out why it is the price it is.
      Some dolls aren't as expensive as they used to be, it could honestly be they weren't aware.

If you ask the seller why a doll is so high and you find it is a mistake, then i think it's appropriate to haggle.
      It helps alot to be very specific as to why you think the price is too high though.

Though if a seller says "Firm" on the price, it's better to either decide you want to pay or move on. It's somewhat tactless to try and barter with someone who has already (basically) asked people not to do so.

In the past when i've sold things and someone tried to haggle with me i was usually open to it. Especially if it's an item i've been having trouble selling. And a potential buyer Giving me reasons why they think a cheaper price is more fair is appreciated, as it helps me look at the item in a new light. And by doing so you can realize "hmmm maybe they're right".

I'm not saying of course everyone appreciates this as i'm sure not everyone does. But for my own personal sales, i do not mind haggling, or someone -Politely- telling me some pointers about my item that might make me rethink what i can actually accept for it.

On that note, at the end of the day, these are only potential transactions. If you feel someone is wrong in how they approach you, just politely decline the offer. There's no sense in using all that energy to be ticked off by one persons opinion when you could use it on beautifying your dolls :P

6. I've never actually haggled, due to the fact that haggle is a more petty term. I've negotiated, but not huge chunks of money or anything. And if the person says its not negotiable, then end it. Don't ask anyways. Thats my opinion.

7. *GIGGLE*!!!!

Yep, there is that, more's the pity. But that to me falls into the category of "ridiculous" so I'd never blame you or anyone else for sending back a rather firm "no, thank you."

--- with the temptation to throw in "You NEED dinner. You WANT my doll." or some other pointed observation, which I would then need to squelch myself heavily to refrain from actually saying. ;)

8. That last sounds like a conversation with my daughter. I think that may become a guideline for me- 'if you can't behave better than my five year old, I'm not going to deal with you.'

9. If the seller says "non-negotiable," then yes, it is incredibly rude to haggle. What seems like an unfairly priced doll is really up to the seller, and there could be numerous reasons for the price being what it is. It's not uncommon for buyers in Europe to get whammed with some awful custom charges, and I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to want to recooperate as much of the loss that they can. Shipping is not exactly cheap either, so depending on how new of a doll it is, I don't think it's unreasonable in some cases to try to get back shipping costs.

As far politeness goes when haggling, I also think it's very rude to haggle if you don't have the money up front. If the seller is doing you a service by selling you the doll at a lower price, at least have the courtesy to pay immediately.

10. I agree that it's rude to haggle if the price says "firm". Otherwise, it's probably up for discussion.

11. I've been tempted. I admit it...
      So far I haven't cracked, though. :lol:

12. Very recently I've had a buyer try to haggle my price for a head that was set to 'firm' down -- not only that, but it was a limited head and it was only $20 more than it originally cost from the company. I actually told the buyer they were making me very uncomfortable and that I didn't want to continue the transaction if they were going to keep on about the price which I had set the head at. They kept saying 'but WHY are you charging extra for a head only worth ________!!!!!!!'

I found this horribly rude and very uncomfortable as a seller. My price was set to firm for a reason. I did not think it was unreasonable -- nor did I want to discuss selling for a lower price, especially when the head wasn't readily available. The buyer continually jabbing at me about it actually turned me off ever dealing with them again.

Buyers should really respect the listing if the price says FIRM. If I WANTED to negotiate, I would set the price as 'negotiable' or 'or best offer'. It is as simple as that. Anything else is bad form, in my opinion. I wouldn't do it to you, PLEASE don't do it to me.

That's my two cents.

13. I have, and will do so again. I'm never obnoxious about it, and if the seller states (either in the sales thread or over PM) that a price is final, I respect that and don't haggle. However, if a doll is for sale at a price that's not too far above my budget, I'm comfortable with politely asking for a lower price.

Worst thing that can happen is they'll say no, after all! :)

14. That is really bad behavior on their part -- some people do not belong in the market place :P It also seems that there are people out there that don't have a good sense of how collectible items work -- second hand does not always mean big discount. Dolls aren't like cars and electronics that immediately begin depreciating in value. So much headache could be avoided if people simply took a little time to educate themselves before attempting to buy secondhand (and a little common sense wouldn't hurt either ;)).

15. I'd say make a reasonable offer based on what they are selling for in the market place. Don't come in saying well if I bought it new I'd pay this and this so if I'm going to pay that much I might as well buy it new.

16. I don't think haggling is a no-no, but I have been insulted in the past. I price my dolls fairly and always below what others sell them for, so when someone offers a lower amount I feel they only do it to be cheeky. Its obvious my dolls are priced to sell so its annoying when someone tries it on so to speak.

However I've only ever had rude hagglers, I'm sure in the right setting and with a more polite approach I wouldn't find it so offensive.

17. I've never tried haggling with someone over anything yet..though I really should have on several items I've bought in the past. :P However I've sold other dolls (non bjd related) and have had people try to "haggle" with me and it has always made me a bit uncomfortable. At least with my experiences, I had a doll that I had just purchased for $100 and decided to sell her a couple months later for $60...still in perfect condition and I had 3 diff. people try to haggle me, one even knocked almost 50% off my price and tried to get free shipping and add a bunch of other stuff to it...things like that make me really dislike haggling, however I would not mind at all if someone NICELY asked me to lower a price...I just haven't experienced many fair and nice hagglers. So if you want to haggle please be nice and courteous to the seller and don't harass them! :D

18. Making an offer and haggling are not the same thing. "Haggling" indicates a series of offers and counter-offers, with both parties eventually settling on a price, and can be very complex (some would argue that it requires considerable skill to haggle well). By contrast, making an offer is simply that - offering a lower price, which the seller can reject or accept. If a buyer makes an offer on a doll and the seller makes a counter-offer at a price between the seller's asking price and what the buyer offered, then they are haggling.

I do not think it is rude to contact a seller and make an offer that is lower than their asking price, assuming that such a message is phrased politely and does not include needless whinging or attempts at guilt-tripping (see examples below). I do feel it is very rude to pester them about it afterward (by asking again, making slightly different offers, etc) if they decline the offer.

Theoretical situations as examples:
      Someone has X doll for sale, and is asking $500 + shippping for it.

Examples of PM's that would not seem offensive to me:
      "Hey, I like X doll you've got for sale. Would you be willing to sell it for $500 shipped?"
      "I've been looking for an X doll like the one you're selling. Would you be willing to take $450 + shipping for it?"

Examples of PM's that WOULD seem offensive to me:
      "Oh, I've wanted X doll for so long! But I really can't afford to pay what you're asking, because my dog got hit by a car last week and his medications cost $$$, and I spent a month in the hospital recently for _____ and the bills are killing me! Can I pay you $450 for it?"
      "Hey, I want to buy your X doll, but you should cover the shipping costs."

As you can see from the examples, it's not what is being asked that is polite or rude - it is the way in which it is asked. At least, that's my take on it.

19. Jesus. That is the point where you put that person on your Ignore list & report them for price-policing.

(But, to take the low road, I would've been awfully tempted to reply with "I am charging $20 extra specifically because I wanted to weed out buyers like you. Take the act back to Wal-Mart, kid.")

20. I have never tried to haggle before.

If the price is fair, I would never try to haggle.

If the price for item I really want was unreasonable high, I would ask if there is a possibility to lower the price or give me a discount for shipping or layaway. But if the seller tell me that the price is firm, I would respect it and make a decission if I really want it so badly or not :)