1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is It BAD To buy Popular dolls?

Dec 29, 2010

1. No, it isn't bad. :) I could elaborate on that, but it really does come down to just that, and the advice given previously: it's going to be your doll, get the one you like. Who cares who else does or doesn't like it? (Or how many someones, as is the case here. ;) )

2. Good... or BAD... I do not know nor care much about

I buy, own and sold both super popular and never heard of dolls LOL LOL

3. I don't think it's bad at all! If you like a certain doll, you shouldn't care about the popularity, just get it if you love it.
      Even a doll is extremely popular, every one looks different, even those with default faceups.
      It shouldn't bother any collector. What's with people who buy a doll which is new and not yet popular, and in a few months almost everyone owns the same sculpt? Sell off what you love? I own some of those, but still love them even the whole world owns them :) I even got myself a Luts El this month :D

4. Seriously? I have three so-called popular dolls : El, Ryu and Lance. Before getting them, I lusted after every other doll of their respective molds. Once I actually had my dolls, everyone else's dolls stopped tempting me (except some Ryus xD).

It's not that other people's dolls are no longer pretty to me. It's just that the dolls that are in my hands have become something that exudes a "personal" or "homely" feeling to me, that everyone elses start to feel alien no matter how much more beautiful they are compared to my 'versions' of the same mold.

It's really different to have a doll you can call your own than looking at the 50billion others that are on DoA. Just ignore the statistics. Actually, stop comparing your doll to others of the same mold too! I find this to be an activity that I really cannot comprehend on DoA. I feel like it's so unhealthy, and it puts people under needless pressure and phantom policing! It's one thing to seek references, but to compare is really unhealthy.

Make your doll into something you like. Put on the wig you think is beautiful. Put in the eyes that you love the colour of. Make his face into the expression of your choice. Whatever it is, make it into something that you would like to see, because you are the one who will have to look at your doll! Other people are just 10%. You may accidently make your doll to look like someone elses without meaning to, but honestly, if you can't deal with not being yooneek (like myself, when it comes to my dolls), you should not go looking for evidence to ruin your own parade!

5. I'm with those who say it's not bad to love a popular doll. In fact, the doll I want most (so badly that I want two of them, even!) is in fact the most popular doll by that company in that size (Volks YoSD Lin). It doesn't bother me at all that almost everyone who has a Volks YoSD also has a Lin, because my two girls will be my little Milk and Tea. That is something no one else will have, they won't be Lin to me. ;)

But this is from someone who apparently likes the types of dolls the majority of people who like that company like, so take that into account. :sweat For example, Volks most popular SD in the U.S. is Volks SD Kun and she is my favorite SD, too.

When you love a doll, does it really matter how many other people have it or how many people love it? If you were in love with a person, would it bother you if they had the same name as three of your friend's lover? Would that stop you from following through with that love? I certainly hope not! ;) This isn't any different. Your feelings are your feelings, if you are fond of something popularity shouldn't play any part in it.

6. I've never understood that feeling myself - we like the doll because we like it. If you're unsure if you're caught up in the hype or legit fond of the sculpt then hold off and keep away from the places that scream about how great it is. If you know that you simply love a doll and feel certain it would make you happy then get it - popularity is a silly to worry about. It just means you know there's alot of people you can gush over your baby with right? ;D

7. I understand where you're coming from :) No matter what, we always have some influence from outside perspective, it's human nature. The people who say to buy what you want have learned to keep that little niggling outside influence though quiet ;) and it's pretty good advice regardless.

Having said that, no, I don't like to buy popular dolls. Not because I'm afraid it's too popular, but I just like the look of sculpts that seem not to be popular. It could change in the future, because tastes change, but right now, no :)

8. I don't see a problem getting a "popular" doll if he's what I like o_O
      It's not going to be like "Oh I'm getting him because the rest does....???" although I had to admit sometimes I might be easily influenced by the crowd but overall,I'll still reassure myself that this is the one I like before getting.
      If this is really going to be an issue then just have him sent to a sculptor and have him modified :D Then he'll be one of a kind ^___^

9. Of course it isn't! I always view it like this: if there was no community, what would you do? You'd get the doll, because you wouldn't know if it was popular or not. So, get the doll. The 'community' shouldn't dictate what you like and don't like and following the whims of the fandom is not really a smart thing, because it changes so often. I remember when Shiwoo wasn't popular at all, because Luts(this was before the MNF's came out)had such horrible photo's of him. Then a couple of people got one and started sharing pretty photo's of him, and Luts updated their pics, and suddenly he got really popular. I also remember you'd see El's and F16's wherever you looked, now it's Soom and Iplehouse who are the current hot thing. Get the doll you like, because your adoration for that mold will last longer than the fandom's fads.

10. Nope~If you really adore it ^ ^ but I know some people buy a certain doll just because its popular... now that's a bad idea.

11. Here's my take on this: if you buy a doll only because its popular, its a mistake. Conversely, if you buy a doll that's that's totally unpopular, or obscure or super duper limited JUST to be DIFFERENT, then I think that's wrong too. Buy what you love and enjoy it!

12. The first rule of this hobby should be: BUY WHAT YOU LIKE. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: these dolls are too expensive to invest time, effort and money into buying one that you aren't really smitten with.

As Raouken said a few posts back, if this community didn't exist, then what would you do? The most important thing is always to buy what you like regardless of how popular or uncommon the doll may seem to be in the ABJD community at large.

13. Certainly not! You buy molds you like, whether it's popular or not. I want a PongPong, and it seems to be a very popular mold. I'm in love with it, so I can see why!

14. I am a bit to late to add a comment here :p
      but... NO!! You shouldn't feel bad if you really like the sculpt!!
      personally, I think every BJD would turn out to be very different in different hands! even with the same sculpt! (unless someone copied other's style deliberately...)
      it shouldn't stop someone from buying what he or she loves just because it's popular......
      I know it's a bit different, but it doesn't stop people from buying ipods or iphones just because it's getting really famous...lol
      it's all about what you really like, not how others feel about you having the same sculpt :)
      to be honest, I think it's really interesting to see how others create their character with the same sculpt as the ones I have, even though I don't favour what they might have done :)

15. I'd say whatever doll YOU want. If you like a popular, unpopular, or cheap doll then get it, with this hobby the only person you need to please is yourself. Plus, if you get a doll that's not your first pick then you might end up selling it anyways. Whatever doll makes YOU happy, because it will be YOUR doll!

16. I agree with the majority of people on this thread - buy what YOU like.

And really, this isn't a mainstream hobby. A lot of times the numbers between "popular" and "rare" are probably not all that different. They're only sort of mass-produced, and yet only sort-of rare and handmade to begin with. You probably aren't going to have a perfectly unique doll whatever sculpt you choose, and you aren't going to have a total clone either.

17. Even if you have the same Shiwoo as your best friend, both with default make-up, both with black wig, and both dressed with gothic clothes, YOUR Shiwoo will be YOUR doll, no matter how much he is similar to the 80% of the Shiwoos of the doll-world.

I understand the fact of being mistrustful when wanting a 'popular' doll, but not geting a doll you really like just because lot of people likes it too... It'd be just unfair to yourself.

Limited dolls are great, and also Shiwoos, Shoyos, Ducans, and so on.

Some time ago, in the middle of my way on this hobby, I really thought I didn't want any 'popular' doll. But since some years I changed my mind. If I like a doll and it's great for my character and for joining my resin family... why not?

18. I have a RS Mei (who I am going to mod... so yeah)
      but i got her because she is popular and there was many images of her that i could see before i bought her, So it helped ^^

19. It is a very popular or an extremely rare to find, it is good when you get a BJD you truly want to have and bad when you get a BJD you do not really want to have. For me, no matter how many other people have the same base or not, what counts is what you deeply want. That is what I think about it. An example of it is I have popular sculpts and sculpts which are not and I absolutely love all of them.

20. IMO this is the best thing about liking a "popular" doll.

I'll echo everyone and say to get what you like because -you- like it. If it's a popular one, that's even better for you!