1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is It BAD To buy Popular dolls?

Dec 29, 2010

1. Yes.

It is wrong, terrible, and bad to buy a beautiful sculpt just because it's popular.

Nah, I've just always wanted to say that when someone asked "Is it wrong/bad to...?" Honestly, there's a reason certain sculpts are wildly popular: they're attractive and versatile so lots of people buy them and they end up as those popular dolls that you see plastered all over the forum. I definitely own several popular sculpts, most of mine are well known and popular (FL Ante and PongPong, Pipos Baha, etc) and I don't have a problem with it.

When I first started the hobby, I was kind of aghast at the thought of having a popular doll: "What? ME have something that other people have??? No, I need to be super 0mg unique just for the sake of being unique!" So I bought sculpts that were specifically less known or less popular but I found I didn't enjoy them since I'd bought them more for their rarity than their aesthetic appeal. But when I got more settled into the hobby, it didn't matter if I saw the same sculpt I had elsewhere, it just mattered that I could enjoy my own dolls when they're with me. Why should it matter that hundreds (or thousands?) of other people have the same doll? It doesn't make my doll any less special to me. I can't even count how many Antes there are on this forum alone, but my Ante, my Squeaker, is special because she is mine.

Now after all that rambling, I'll just say: buy what you like, regardless of popularity or unpopularity. Ultimately, it's gonna matter how you see and enjoy your doll, not how the community sees it and feels about it.

2. there is nothing wrong with liking a popular doll, whatever some people may say. I have a mnf elf shiwoo, and I like to think he is quite original, especially at the time I got him since that girly shiwoo thing was in full swing, where as I kept Gabe pretty manly, and still do (muscular a-line body for the win!). Never let other peoples opinions dictate what you buy. If YOU like it, then buy it! Customization is a beautiful thing in this hobby! You have have the exact same mold as a hundred other people, but how you style and paint him can make him totally original! I wish you luck with your shiwoo! Don't let anyone talk you out of him!

3. Nope, if you really like that scult there is nothing wrong.

This hobby is about your liking, other person has nothing to do with it.

4. I think if you like it, that's enough...after all I saw a lot of the same molds with different curstoms and they look very different :3

5. There is one downside to buying a doll that is very popular, and that is that if you decide you want to sell it sometime, its resale can be lower because there are so many available out there.

But, resale is really one of the last considerations when it comes to buying something that you really want in this hobby. Still, if you are a person that changes their mind a lot, then consider waiting out the 2nd hand market to get one a bit cheaper than retail.

6. No, not at all. I have seen so many gorgeous dolls which do look completely different and unique with lovely and handsome face-ups. Not to mention the super cool "Fantasy" types of dolls out there. If you love it, read about it and even have the opportunity to have seen one in person and then love it more - go for it ^_^

I agree with Penguincheese's last statement: It is ultimately your doll - and loving the sculpt whether it is popular or not should bear no weight on the decision of adopting or purchasing a popular BJD.

7. If its popular then something must be right about it, its all about personal preference though.

8. buy the you like!don't care other things

9. Well, I will try to avoid to buy popular dolls, too.
      Or I will re-face up or modify the head to what I want later.

10. Who cares if a lot of people have it? YOU love it and that's all that matters. I remember back in the day everyone had an El and a Lishe hehe, I myself have a Lishe (tan but still).

Don't worry about things being 'too popular', if you like it you like it.

11. I'd say that it is important to buy a doll that you love, it's not important if the sculpt is popular or not.
      Your love for it makes it special.

12. I don't think it is bad to buy popular dolls so long as they are actually dolls you want and aren't being bought just because they're popular ;)

13. No way. I have 3 MNF Shiwoos (1 vamp 1 sleeping 1 normal) and I have them because I LOVE the sculpt. And alot of other people love the sculpt as well. It doesn't make me feel like a tag-along or anything. If you like a doll, and you like it because of the way it looks, then you should get it. If your only in this hobby to "be popular" then well that is pretty frowned on in the hobby. My motto is never ever be ashamed of something you like! Popular or otherwise.

14. If you like the sculpt I dont think there is anything wrong with getting that doll. because what matters is that you will be happy and that you like it.
      but a bonus might be that there will be parts out there , that are easier to find the more popular it is if that ever came up that you wanted new bits.
      just a thought
      :)

15. I don't mind for some of this issue.

if you are not the type of want something unique it is not a problem.

Afterall you can change or custom your doll. For me this is not a problem

16. This has probably already been said, but I honestly don't feel like reading through three pages of replies to check and see if I'm being redundant, so here's my two cents...buy what YOU LOVE!!! So what if there are a zillion folks that own the same doll? Why should that make any difference to you? Once you get the doll of your dreams, it becomes yours. As a collector of Gene Marshall dolls since their introduction in 1995, I can assure you there a lot of them, but my every one of MY Genes is special to me because they're mine. And even if my friend has some of the same ones I do, there are slight manufacturing differences between them...facial screenings, hair lines or thickness of rooting, things like that. But the most important difference is what I think of as the "Velveteen Rabbit" effect, as you spend time with your dolls they in a sense become more real to you, more valuable because of the things you've done together, and places you've been. So as long as MNF Shiwoo makes you happy, go for it, and stop worrying about how many other Shiwoo cousins make be out there. Just my humble opinion.

Juli DC :)

17. I see no problem with people buying popular dolls people have different ideas about what the doll should look like so why not have thousands of different interpretations that's whats makes this hobby so much fun. ^^

18. I see nothing bad in buying popular dolls. Anyway, every collector is unique and even when people try to create one and the same character they do it quite differently

19. Did I post here..I am out of sorts today. *_*

Why bad? People should buy what dolls they like. Popular means that a lot of people like the sculpt. I don't see anything bad here. You get what you want and that's about it. Not much else really to it....it can be the most popular doll on the planet but if you like it, then that's it. Likewise with not so popular dolls.

20. I think if you like the doll then you should buy it because it calls to you personally. You don't need to worry about what any one else thinks its your feeling that matter in the end. If you like it buy it.