1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is It BAD To buy Popular dolls?

Dec 29, 2010

1. Bad or Good? I don't understand this sort of question. Nor, in this hobby, have I run across any morality police who pass out these sorts of judgments as if they were tickets. Who is the arbiter of bad and good in this situation? I think the only answer is "you."

Who would you ultimately buy your doll for? Do you plan to lay out that kind of cash for anything because it pleases someone else more than it pleases you? Do you plan to deprive yourself of something that would make you happy on behalf of anyone else?

Other people may judge your choice in a doll, but the only force of authority behind their judgment is their own opinion (which is merely a reflection of their own small- or broad-mindedness). I do know it's a living purgatory to allow the moralising of others to govern decisions that can only be yours ... this applies to more than dolls. Living as a victim to others' opinions really sucks ... been there, done that, gave it up ages ago and never looked back.

2. i agree what everyone say in here buy the dolls you truly like and don't think about what other going to say. Having different dolls from everyone is quine because you don't have the same as other people

3. To me popular or non popular doesn't matter. If you love it, then get it :)

4. if you like some food I don`t think you`ll be worried about eat it or not depending on its popularity. Same with dolls - I think one should buy the doll he/she likes and not to worry about anything else;)

5. Yes, it's a terrible crime. Really, there's a price on your head when buy any of them. ;)

They're popular for a reason! Many people like them and if you do too, well... go ahead and buy.
      What other people think isn't hardly as important as they sometimes make it sound. After all, you are the one who has to look at the resin faces each day, so it makes sense to go for the doll YOU want. Enjoy the proces of buying and enjoy your doll.

6. I think if you like the doll you should buy it regardless of what any one else thinks. Because it is popular just means that a lot of other people like that doll too, it's what you do with it that makes it uniquely yours. Go for what you want, you do not need the approval of anyone else for your choices :)

7. nope totally not! I love my ante for the same reason everyone loves them! its a happy thing to be able to share your joy with everyone eles, despite being a popular doll. Im sure you wont see 2 of the excact same doll unless the owners are trying hard to copy each other!

8. I bought a KDF Bory last month before I realised how popular he was. As far as I'm concerned, he's the only doll that exists in my world, regardless of how many other people may own the same mold, 'cause I've never even seen a BJD in real-life lol! I think I would like to get a limited next though (oh God, she's already thinking about "next!" orz) so I'll probably save up and see what limiteds are available that I like. I think the number one thing is to really LIKE the doll you buy and forget about what anyone else thinks. My love for the Bory mold is still as great as ever, and his popularity just shows that other people share my view on that :)

9. If you want to really set your mind at ease then look at all the different dolls out there of the exact same sculpt. See how different each one looks from the one before, even if it has the default face-up. I have an AOD Chi, which is generally labled by many in the community as a "starter doll" meaning a lot of people get him for their first. He's inexpensive and very popular, but I didn't know that, nor did I really care when I got him. I've seen countless AOD Chis out there and not a single one has looked the tiniest bit like mine or even like each other. If you really love the doll, then get it. When you're done with it, it'll look totally different from any other picture of the same sculpt. I guarantee it.

10. Guilt would imply that you've done something wrong, which you didn't.

Besides having the doll you really want, there's a fun element in owning a Shiwoo -- you get to join the "Shiwoo Club"! ;)

11. BAD?????? C'mon children, really...

12. Nothing bad at all, sculpt is all that matters to me.

13. I don't see any issues in buying dolls that are popular, the doll is just well loved. It doesn't matter of people have the same sculpt of doll as you, your doll is one of a kind because of the personality it is given :)

14. It's not a bad thing to like popular dolls or obscure dolls. No one is going to roll their eyes at you for having a popular sculpt - and if they do, then that's their problem. Most owners are pretty positive about seeing what members do to one kind of BJD.

It might work to your advantage to liking a popular doll. Popular dolls have a lot of user pics, so you can see the doll you like in a more realistic setting. You can see the different looks people have given them to see if the look you were thinking about will look good to you or not. You can even find things out about that doll through other users, like if they had issues with a part of the sculpt, and what most members ended up doing to fix it.

15. Well, I do not ever thought about popularity of my doll's molds. My first doll was Soom Sabik and it was totally popular in russian bjd-society in 2008 year. But I ordered just that because his face fits the character I needed it for^^ There were no any other reasons.
      I purshase exactly that doll which is best for the character I have in my mind, so there weren't even such question - is the mold popular or not.
      Sometimes I've seen very beautiful, even amazing somebody else's dolls, but that didn't force me to wish these ones for myself. I have the only TranscendB doll head in Russia and AFAIK the only TranscendB girl in the whole word - but I purshased her because of the sculpt and because that head suits to the imaginary character and not because it was rare.
      Though I don't think that owning popular doll is bad. Popularity doesn't make your doll boring or less loved, and in any case it is you who decide everything about doll's image and style. And you won't get the same doll as you've seen somewhere just because you'd buy the same mold with the same face-up. It will be your doll and because of that it will be unique and inimitable for you^^

16. If you like, get. :)
      Popular or not, you still like them. I still want a DOT Homme Ducan, even though many people have him. It is your preference.

17. Looking at the OP date, I sure hope she got her Shiwoo! I buy popular dolls all the time and since I also sell dolls quite a bit, I find it's way easier to sell a popular doll than an obscure one. And you can find things that fit them --and people know what you have when you say "I have a Lishe, will it fit her?" as opposed to a run of odd-sized very rare dolls. Plus by painting and customizing your doll becomes unique, but at the same time you can find shoes.;)

18. Everybody, buy the doll that you love, no matter if it's popular or not! Popular dolls have a lots of user photos so it's easier to say how the doll would look. It's much harder to decide on a doll who has only a promo and one yellow blurry owner photo.

19. I think there's nothing wrong with liking the same doll everyone else likes. Or the same furniture, food, car, vacation destination, dog breed, or whatever else. Things are popular for a reason, and that's also true for dolls.

Just buy the doll you love. He'll be a unique MNF Shiwoo, because he'll be yours.

20. I don't think there's anything wrong with it if you really like the face of the sculpt. I have a couple of semi-popular dolls. I noticed it after I got my first doll that a lot of the collectors in the DZ mini's forum had Mo's, but even with my boy still having his default face up, he's still very unique compared to other dolls. Then I got a BBB Sprite whom I made entirely unique as well, despite the face being quite popular with others. It just depends on what you really do with them, even a 'default' face can be made to look unique with eyes and a wig.