1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

is it distressing to sell your dolls

Jun 4, 2009

1. i tried it, and then after awhile of him not selling, i began to feel sad about it and changed my mind :lol:

i think i would be absolutely devastated if i had to sell any of them. :(

2. No, the person I sold to was so sweet- I knew he'd be getting a good home!

3. To every question, Yes. It happens to a lot of people.

I've thought a lot about this. Sorry if I don't make sense. :sweat

An example; I love my Euclase to pieces in many aspects of more than just a doll or hobby. But the only point that forces me to cope without him, is that I know if I don't sell him, I will be in a worse off position.
      So I'm forced to choose, something that makes me happy? Or something that will make my life even more unhappy?

Pretty much the choice between something materialistic that makes you happy and something emotionally&physically that will make things unhappy for you. I would rather choose to give up the materialistic item to avoid something that would affect me worse.

4. I've sold many dolls for various reasons (I counted seventeen in total), but there's always other dolls out there.

For me it's more distressing to be financially unstable than to let a doll go.

5. I haven't had to sell any doll yet for this reason and I loathe the idea. I imagine I could, but I think I would be devastated to lose some of them.

6. Absolutely. I completely and 100% loathe even the mere thought of reaching the point where I have to sell a doll. I've solld one full doll and two heads at this point and I am crossing my fingers and pleading with the Dolly Gods that that will be all the selling of dolls I will ever have to do.

Mostly it's a mixture of guilt for having not made a better choice when first purchasing, as though I "let the doll down" or am abandoning it, and also the stress of never knowing if the doll will ever get out of the house at all! This usually causes me to mark the price of the doll WAY down simply for the sake of just getting rid of it and not having to deal with looking at it all the time and allowing the guilt to grow. In turn I've find the stress of selling a doll has made buying any new dolls just as stressful as I want to be absolutely certain it is the right one for me and not another mistake I will need to sell later.

7. Any dolls I've sold, I already detached myself from them.

But if I needed to sell one I loved, it would be pretty difficult.

8. I have sold my lst doll an Iplehouse Barron, it was difficult but I had to and I felt better when the buyer who is on here, obviously wanted him as her lst doll also. I must admit prior to packing him up I left him at my daughters as I felt guilty over it.

9. With my Iplehouse Pierrot I ended up changing my mind and not selling her because I couldn't do it. This was after I put her for sale as a " feeler" I think it was.

With the BBB Sprite I couldn't wait to get rid of her. I had already packed her in the box and had her ready weeks before someone brought her.

I do regret selling my Nobility Scons though. They were so cute but they didn't fit in with the others :( I now wish I had kept them.

10. It gets easier after the first time. One sale opens the door to change, though that doesn't mean change can't come without it's fair share of heartache. I'll miss my Kohya, but look forward to the new mold for Phir that the income will provide. Simple as pie.

11. I am having trouble bonding with my first girl. She hardly gets any attention compaired to my other 2. So I was thinking to sell her so someone else can be happy with her but my mom freaked out lol. Then I was thinking it over and I'm going to get her a new face up after my holidays. Maybe she stays then or goes. But I need to change her looks thats for sure.

12. Well normally if I'm selling a doll, its because i didn't bond with them. BUT most recently I had to sell my idoll byul, and I was very upset about that, as I had wanted her the second that I saw her, and I received the second doll that they had shipped to a customer. So yes, I was distressed, but I have a 50% coupon that'll be good in september so that I can buy her back ^_^

13. There are dolls I've sold with no regrets & then there are those that I wish I could have kept. Generally I sell when I need money for real life expenditures & occasionally to finance another doll. But once I make up my mind to sell a certain doll, I sort of distance myself from it emotionally & pack it away until it sells so it's sort of out of my life anyway.

14. I've sold two dolls, both because I thought a different shell was better. In both cases, it was a little stingy at first, but the dolls went to good friends of mine and I know they appreciate the dolls more than I did, and that makes it allright. Even though I kind of regret selling the first one, I wouldn't want him back-he fits better with my friend and not so much with me or my doll family. With the second one, I felt a bit of relief, because it was so obvious he didn't really fit in here and I tried fixing it but it wouldn't work anyway. Now I didn't have to force myself to like him anymore. So I sold him to my friend, who enjoys him much more than I do, and bought another doll I absolutely adore and that fits right in.

So, even if it is a little painful, I only sell when I know it's for the best, and then it is not so hard anymore.

15. I might be one of the few people who don't believe in "bonding" and such.
      I've sold my dolls and didn't even have a second thought about it.

EDIT:
      I've sold my dolls in pieces to people.

16. It is. It took me ages to sell. I felt guilty and awful that they were unloved when I had wanted them so much!

Once you start doing it, it become easier and easier, especially when you make the money back to buy another doll you really want.

It is best in the end, it means they have gone to someone who wants them- just like you used to want them, it is better they move on than sit unloved and not played with.

I cannot imagine how heartbreaking it is to have to sell when you need money rather than for buying others.

Out of my collection and my husbands, we have 2 that we will never sell, regardless of interest in hobby or money situation, which is my volks nono and his luts soony. Everyone else can go if they have to but those two never will, even if they ended up sat on a shelf- we are just far too bonded with them to sell them.

17. For me, it used to be, but now not anymore.

My first doll was a BF Louis. I adored him, I loved him, he was my first doll, he was very special. But somehow... after time passed his character had grown out of the mold, it didn't suit him anymore like it used to.
      I've been dubbing about it for months, and in the end I decided to sell just his body, and keep the head as a memory thingy. Since I was so attached to it. It was a VERY hard decision at the time.

The character was revived as a narin hybrid. Who was absolutely loveable. Delicate, adorable, cheeky. And bonding was going well at first... but as time passed... I realised that the narin sculpt couldn't grasp the deeper, more serious side of the character. But I had no better mold suited for him..

Around that time I had finally managed to let go of the BF Louis head. I'd sold it in the marketplace, because I wanted it to be someones doll again, and not just roll around in my closet. It was a bit difficult, but felt like a good thing to do.

Two weeks after I sold the Louis head, Iplehouse released their sworddancer Vito. As soon as I saw that little pouty face I was sold. That was my boy.
      I've put up the narin version of the character for sale the day after! xD I was surprised that it wasn't difficult for me at all anymore. But that was because I was so sure of my decision.

So I guess... at first it was scary. Because I wasn't sure of my choises. "Am I doing the right thing? Will I regret it?" That kind of stuff. But once you've made your decisions, you feel relieved. Yeah, letting go of a mold can still be hard. But once you know things are going to work out better like that, the choise is made more and more easily.

18. It would be distressing if I had to sell because of some money problems etc. but so far I was rather excited while selling-- I was thinking about the new doll I will be getting for those monies :) If I am not 100% happy with a doll, I will not keep it.

19. It was distressing once because it was mainly due to the fact that I had to pay rent, but I feel that if you can't bond with something, let someone else adopt them so they can love them.

I think it all comes down to you personally and how you look at your dolls. Are they family members or just collection pieces?

20. this prolly sounds weird to say but I've come to love constantly buying and selling dolls lol. I was extremely sad to sell the dolls I had to sell though because of financial difficulties. When I first got into the hobby, I had a ton of Volks dolls and I ended up selling all of them except the f-29 (well that was the number before they changed them, couldn't tell you what it is now). He was my absolute favorite and when it came down to having to sell him, I was devastated.

I actually left the hobby after that and then just back into it about 2 years ago. I missed it a lot and now it's more like.. there are so many molds I find myself liking so I buy them, find they don't work for me then sell them to try something else. With my taste constantly changing, it's easy to do. I have had to sell a couple for financial difficulty but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I'm down to two boys though and if those ever have to go, it'll be devastation all over again cos they are the only ones I've bonded with completely since getting back into the hobby