1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it 'OKAY' to PM an Owner about Selling a doll they had NO intention to sell?

Aug 2, 2007

1. What are they thinking?
      People have put time, money an effort (lots of love too ^^) into their dolls, why would they up and sell it just because you give them a price? Like the bribers see it as nothing to the owner.
      An I mean nagging an persuading, omg thats so cruel. Its definatly wrong if they do that.

I mean asking, "if you ever decide to sell you doll, I'm interested blah blah" is ok...
      Opposed to, "Sell your doll to me for $_$"

Like someone mentioned, its like they sometimes want to buy a doll for its status O_O, I mean you could buy the same doll if you wanted, I mean you own personal one, but they want the famous one...if you know what I mean XD

2. It is incredibly inappropriate, regardless of forum rules. Would you approach a stranger on the street and ask to buy the shoes off their feet? Unless an item is specifically being listed for sale you should never assume the owner would appreciate an offer.

3. True. I know what you mean, a kinda "AMG pretty dorrie! *Grabby hands* WANT!!" thing but it doesn't really excuse asking to buy a dolls the owner is quite blatently madly in love with.

The first time was actually before they arrived home from their face ups so I hadn't posted any pics of them, they where simply on my profile. I realise I got very lucky with managing to get hold of my twins (I managed to snap them up on the market place a few weeks after the order period had closed) but even if I hadn't managed to get them I don't think I would have resorted to PMing people who owned an elf shushu asking to buy it, I'd simply wait until one popped up and try my luck again. I think it's down to impatience more than anything, the "want it now" attitude that's very much prevailent these days.

4. Its funny how determined some people are. Its great if you love another persons's doll, I myself love a lot dolls belonging to other owners. But wasnt the whole idea of the original super dollfie to create a doll just for you? A lot of owners on this board have characters that theyre attached to, so they decide to express them in resin form. Theyre beautiful, and I drool over them, but I wouldnt offer money for them if they werent for sale. Its for the same reason a lot of companies and artists refuse to copy another doll's faceup. You wouldnt trying to copy the Mona Lisa would you? Why not let it inspire you instead?

5. It depends on how you do it really Not saying it is an art that you have to perform in a certain way or anything like that! lol

Iv'e gotten some PMs that want to be "godparents" to a certain doll, just in case I ever decide to sell him/her, they are "first in line" if you will.
      Then I have just gotten some rude ones, or ones saying I will give you a bajillion-million dollars or whatever.

I am flattered when someone else loves my doll enough that in any event, they would be there to give it a loving new home.

But I find it a little rude and a bit arrogant to try to get the owners attention buy repeatedly noting how much you are willing to pay. :(

*Jen

6. I don't mind people asking "where did you get that outfit/wig/those eyes, etc.?" or how I got my dolls- through a service, second hand, whatever. But when it comes to them asking specifically "will you sell me your ___?" I'd be pissed. I'm thankful I haven't had that happen and I hope it won't, but I find it tasteless and inappropriate. I'd probably avoid that member in the future too, especially if it was a first impression.

I would be flattered if someone said "I love your doll, if you ever have to sell, please think of me," but the fact is, it wouldn't happen. If I ever had to sell my dolls, their face-ups would be removed and so would their tattoos, unless they went to a very, very good friend who was familiar with that character and would stay true to them. I will never sell Azure. I might sell a BW F-16 with Blue Zouks, but I won't sell the *character.*

7. Amen, and verily.

8. I guess I see what you mean. I dunno...with me, a doll and the owner would be what I like...not just the doll (the owner's the one that brought it to life, ne?)

9. Like Enki said, I think it depends a lot on how it's phrased...

I've never sent a PM like that myself, but they do come in asking about Amber or Teacup or Kessari or one of my others from time to time. The vast majority are polite, and come from people who obviously just really like the dolls. I don't mind those. There's nothing that comes off as rude about them, and it's never crossed my mind to consider them harassment or at all worthy of a report to the mods. Even though I have no intention of selling my dolls, they're just not annoying.

If I ever got a demanding PM, from someone insisting that I should sell them one of my crew for some reason... That's a different animal all together. I'd give them a stern "no way" and if they still pushed it, that would be grounds for a report in my opinion.

So... an offer that reads like a compliment? No problem.
      An offer that reads like a demand? No way.

10. My feeling is that if I wanted to sell, I'd post them in the market thread or on ebay. I've gotten a pm time to time about what I'd be willing to sell my dolls for, and if I did would I keep them in mind. I've told them back that I have no interest in selling, and that if and when I ever did, they would be up in the market place.
      I mean I understand admiring other people's dolls, because I most definitely do, but I would never make an offer unless they were posted in the market place!

11. Yes it is..
      I think most people are impressed by not only a dolls faceup/look...
      but the photo's too.
      And well..buying that doll won't give you better photo skills..
      so they may even end up unhappy in the end.

River
      hm wow.. sounds like people act fast these days!
      Kinda scares me..-->is about the put on new sig with her new boy in it<--

I will never even pm people hinting them i wanted to buy they're dolls.

But i think this is also caused by my love for modding and faceupping myself.. i am more addicted to creating it myself then.. just owning it?

12. I think it's okay... I've sold a number of dolls this way. It's nice not to have to make a thread (and announce it publicly) each time you want to sell something.

Of course I've been uncomfortable with it at certain times, but I'd hate for it to be forbidden.

I think what I'll just do from now on for especially rare or valuable dolls is to have a prepared answer/disclaimer... something like: "It may sound callous, but if I ever sell this doll, I'd do it via auction, as I've received so many PMs from people asking about him/her".

That would be "fairest" I suppose, though it might miff some people.
      LOL, with one doll I had I traded her to somebody... and somebody had the nerve to be MAD at me about it!!! Like she was certain she'd been the FIRST to ask. Dolls and Entitlement go together like...

13. Well, the only time I've EVER even thought of asking a owner about a doll, is one that she made herself, custom sculpted. But the fact it was one of a kind, it seems sorta rude to ask the person to recreate it.

As for LE or One Offs, it could be both rude and flattering. I would be flattered that someone liked my doll to the point of wanting to buy it, but sorta offended that they think I would randomly sell my doll for X amount of money.

14. I think it's extremely rude. Ethically wrong? No. But rude and uncalled for? Certainly so.

I've never had this happen with a doll, but it has happened with several clothing items and wigs. I've had questions of selling one of my doll's wigs (which he has worn in every single picture I've ever taken of him [save for sale posts for other wigs] which would imply that it's his default wig) and I even found that rude.

I think that, unless they have posted somewhere with a mention of wanting to sell the doll or have an actual selling post up, then it should be a general 'no-no' to send such a PM.

I don't think this applies to everyone. ^^'; For some, dogs and cats are just animals and they don't have a large emotional attachment to them, and may be more attached to a doll and it's character. To many couches can be replaced; for some, a specific doll, even if it is the same mold, faceup, etc, can never be the same.

15. No. I've had people come up to me at conventions and ask to buy Baron, and I have resisted the temptation to scream at them. I think it's highly disrespectful, period. You don't know what kind of bond the owner has with the doll, so why would you take the risk of offending someone by asking them to break it?

If PMed, I would probably be polite, but curt if the PM seemed rude, and indicate I am not selling any of my dolls. If nagged further I would then report it.

16. How rude.

PMing someone and putting a price on their doll is essentially implying that of course they're ready to give up something they love at the drop of a dime, because how could it matter more than the cash being offered?

17. I have been contacted many times, in fact I had a PM today asking if I wanted to sell my Shushu Vamp head. I guess people read my signature line and find out I own both Shushu's and wonder if I will sell.
      I know its against DoA's rules, but I am nice to them and tell them that "yes I do have one but she has a body and a name and I am not looking to sell" I know some people just really want a certain doll or head and figure it won't hurt to ask, either not knowing its against the rules or possibly not caring {?}

But I try to be polite about it.

actually now that I think about it, I once mentioned i was thinking of selling one of my dolls and someone PM'd me about it.. that they were interested in her if i did...it was one of the fastest sales I ever had! and it was the right thing to do.

18. In my opinion, that rule is more about people who PM others with things THEY are trying to sell, or their new shop website, etc.

But I do think it's extremely rude (or worse) to PM an unsolicited offer to buy someone's doll unless the person has given some indication they aren't happy with the doll. One time I said (about a discontinued doll I picked up on Ebay) that I would probably end up selling her because she didn't fit in with my others. Someone PM'd me and said if I did decide to sell her, they were interested. They had full access to the Marketplace (not a new member) and I welcomed the info that they were interested.

Carolyn

19. I'm in the "it's rude/not okay" camp. I've had it happen and it irritates me--in fact, I had the same person email me on DOA, then again on ebay (where my doll was modeling some jewelry I had for sale) after I had already said I had no intention of selling her >,< I didn't report it because I wasn't really being harrassed, they were polite, but grrrrrr, man, grrrrr.

20. I totally agree.